|“||You can never forget it, what it's like to be human. It haunts me, it's the only thing that's kept me going. [...] When you live long enough, everything disappears. So much time wasted. I just wish I wouldn’t have been so afraid.||”|
Rose-Marie, commonly known as Rose, was a vampire and the best friend of fellow vampire Trevor. When Katerina Petrova was on the run from Niklaus Mikaelson, Trevor helped her escape and sent her to Rose to get help. While in their hideout, Katherine tricked Rose into feeding her vampire blood and then killed herself to turn into a vampire as well. Klaus pursued Rose, Trevor, and Katherine for 500 years for their roles in presumably ending the Petrova bloodline and ruining his chance at breaking his curse. When Rose and Trevor learned of the existence of a Third doppelgänger, Elena Gilbert, they kidnapped the young girl in hopes of exchanging her for their freedom. However, while Klaus' brother and cohort, Elijah, pardoned Rose for her role in aiding Katherine's escape due to her loyalty toward her friend, he killed Trevor for betraying his loyalty to him and Klaus. Rose then fled after Elijah was staked and supposedly killed by Damon Salvatore.
She later joined forces with the Salvatore brothers to defeat Klaus and had a brief sexual relationship with Damon in the process. She was bitten by Jules, a werewolf, and was ultimately mercy-killed (staked) by Damon, who cared about her and wanted to end her suffering.
Her ghost visited Jeremy in Season 3 when he, Elena and Damon were trying to learn which Original vampire sired their bloodline, and Rose revealed she was turned by Mary Porter. She seemed to support Damon and Elena's romantic feelings for each other and told Jeremy to pass on the message that she was rooting for them.
Rose was born in 1450 in St. Austell, England. She was later turned in 1473 by Mary Porter. In 1492, her friend Trevor sent Katerina Petrova to the cottage where they were staying to hide from Niklaus Mikaelson. Rose was furious when she heard Katerina had fled from Klaus with the moonstone and feared retaliation from Klaus when he learned of what she had done. She locked Katerina in a room with intentions of returning her to Klaus after sunset. Katerina, desperate to avoid being sacrificed to break Klaus' hybrid curse, stabbed herself in the abdomen and was about to die. Rose, unwilling to face Klaus' wrath if he learned Katerina had died on her watch, fed her her vampire blood to heal her, not realizing that this was a trick on Katerina's part to get Rose to give her what she needed to survive.
When Rose accidentally left Katerina alone to talk privately with Trevor about what they needed to do, Katerina hung herself, and since she had Rose's blood in her system, she then awoke as a vampire in transition. She completed the transition by feeding on the human owner of the cottage after Rose accidentally staked the woman while trying to kill Katerina. Rose was furious at her for this betrayal, as now there was no human to keep unwanted vampires out of the cottage, and Katerina's blood was now no longer viable for the ritual to break Klaus' curse. Rose angrily stated that Katerina had signed all of their death sentences due to her actions, but Katerina replied, "Better you die than I," and fled before Rose and Trevor could catch her. Rose and Trevor, knowing that Klaus would be out for their blood in punishment for accidentally aiding in Katerina's escape, and went on the run afterward to hide from Klaus and the rest of the Original vampires.
Throughout The Series
Season TwoIn 2010, Rose and Trevor discovered the existence of another human Petrova doppelgänger and decided to kidnap her and trade her life for their freedom. Shortly after they got Elena inside, she walked in on Trevor trying to get a taste of blood from Elena, but she stopped him. While Rose and Trevor were talking, Elena overheard their conversation and asked who Elijah was. She saw fear in their eyes at the thought of his arrival. When he arrived, Elijah guaranteed her that he has power to forgive them. She believed that they would be free after half a millennium of running for their lives. However Elijah, although he had the power to do so, killed Trevor for his treason against them. Even still, Elijah gave Rose the freedom she wanted, citing the fact that he could respect that she aided Trevor due to her loyalty toward him. Stefan and Damon then broke in, as they were looking for Elena. Damon staked Elijah with a coat rack and they escaped. Rose later visited the Salvatore Boarding House and told Stefan that he would need her help because the rest of the Originals would be coming for Elena as soon as they learned of her existence. She stated that they would do it for Klaus, as he would want to sacrifice Elena to break a curse.
Rose helped Damon learn more about Klaus and the Originals. She called on Slater, an old friend, who knew how to locate Elijah. They met him on a coffee shop, whose windows were made of tempered glass that protected vampires from the UV rays, allowing those who did not have daylight jewelry to actually see the sun. While they learned about the curse of the Sun and the Moon, Elijah destroyed the cafe window with a handful of coins, causing several vampires, including Rose and Slater, to begin burning in the sun. Damon, protected by his ring, was able to see that Elijah-- whom he had just staked the day before-- was responsible for breaking the windows, and whisked Rose away to safety at the boarding house. Later, Rose asked Damon how he planned to protect Elena and he answered that to survive, one should not worry about anyone but oneself. Rose then received a call from Slater, who informed her that if they manage to remove the spell on the moonstone that bound the curse by a witch, it would become useless for the ritual.
In The Sacrifice, Elena asked Rose for her help in learning more about the Originals after learning that her friends planned to enter the tomb and take the moonstone from Katherine. She then proposed a bargain to Rose: if Rose helped her learn more about Klaus and Elijah by going to see Slater, Elena would ask her best friend Bonnie Bennett, a witch who was willing to do anything to help Elena, to make Rose a daylight ring. They went to Richmond to visit Slater, but when they arrived, they found him staked to death on the floor. They also found Slater's girlfriend, Alice, who was hiding in the closet and who had no idea who killed him. When Alice began crying hysterically, Rose whispered to Elena that Alice was crying for herself, and that she was only with Slater in hopes that he would turn her. began Rose told Elena Alice was with Slater only to become a vampire. This gave Elena the idea to offer Alice the chance to be turned by Rose in exchange for Alice's help getting into Slater's secure computer files, though neither Elena nor Rose had any intention of turning her. Upon entering the database on Slater's computer, they found the name of Cody Webber, a vampire who was Slater's contact with regards to the Originals', as well as his email address and phone number. Elena then asked Alice to call Cody and tell Klaus that the doppelgänger was alive and was ready to surrender.
Rose was shocked when she realized Elena was on a suicide mission, but Elena insisted that she wouldn't let any of her loved ones die because of her. Rose secretly called Damon for back-up, and when he arrived, he chastised Elena for trying to get herself killed. He was about to take Elena and Rose with him to leave when Cody and two fellow vampires arrived, requesting the doppelgänger so they could take her to Klaus. Suddenly, Elijah arrived and killed the three vampires after confirming that no one, including Klaus, knew that they were there and that another doppelgänger existed. Rose fled as soon as she saw Elijah, but Damon stood in front of Elena to protect her. Though Damon and Elena were expecting a fight, Elijah just turned and left, much to Damon and Elena's surprise.Rose returned to the boarding house that night and apologized to Damon for not realizing what Elena was planning sooner, but before they could discuss the matter further, they were distracted by a werewolf named Jules, who was transformed and had jumped in through the window to seek revenge against Damon for killing her friend and packmate. Instead of biting Damon, however, she attacked Rose on the shoulder and escaped. Knowing the myth that a werewolf's bite is fatal to vampires, Rose and Damon were scared at first, but when the bite wound healed itself, they breathed a sigh of relief and forgot about it. Later that night, Rose told Damon that she wanted to help him protect Elena and become friends with him, since she was at a loss for friends after Trevor's death. Damon asked jokingly: "Just friends?" Rose laughed and told him that she doesn't love men who love other women (meaning Elena), but flirtatiously pointed out that they could be "special friends." Damon agreed, but when they started to cuddle, Rose winced as Damon touched the part of her shoulder where she was bitten. When Damon lifted the top of her robe down so he could examine her shoulder blade, they both realized that the bite wound had returned, only even larger now. The bite was weeping blood and platelets, and the blood vessels around the bite were darkening to a black color, indicating that the wound was, in fact, as fatal as it was rumored to be.
In The Descent, her condition became increasingly worse, giving her a fever, nausea and hallucinations, as well as causing her to sweat profusely. While Damon left to track down Jules and try to find a cure, Elena took care of her at the boarding house. When Elena sat at her bedside to keep her company, Rose told her that she couldn't give up in the fight against Klaus and insisted that she had to keep living. Over the course of the day, Rose revealed that she missed being human, and indicated that she had genuine feelings for Damon.
As the day progressed, Rose's bloodlust grew stronger as her body sought to try to heal the wound she had sustained, but as a result of the werewolf venom in her bloodstream, she was unable to keep much of the blood down. She later hallucinated that Elena was Katherine and attacked her, wanting to get revenge on Katherine for putting her and Trevor on the run all those years ago. Fortunately for Elena, she was able to escape and hide in one of the house's bedrooms, but as a result of her being forced to hide, Rose was able to escape the house once the sun went down. Rose then ran at vampire speed to Mystic Falls High School, where she inadvertently went on a killing spree by desperately feeding on a janitor and a young couple to death in the midst of her confusion before she was stopped by Damon, who took her back to the boarding house.
In Damon's bed, she said goodbye to Elena, forcing her to promise that she would keep fighting and living, no matter how scared she would be. She also admitted that she has always hated taking human life, and stated that she and Damon were the same in that way. After Elena left to give Rose and Damon some privacy, they shared a dream created by Damon's vampire ability to create illusion in which they were in Rose's birthplace of St. Austell, where they played in a huge, sunny field full of horses and flowers. Rose, who was so happy to finally feel the warmth of the sun after five hundred years in the shadows, told Damon that she was no longer afraid of the death that awaited her, and wondered aloud if she would see her family and Trevor again. Damon assured her that he thought she would see whoever she wanted to see, just as Rose asked Damon to play a game of tag with her. She joked that she would win because she was older and faster, but Damon retorted that since he created this dream, he could make whatever he wanted to happen, happen. Rose began to count to three, stating that Damon had to give her a head start, but when she got to the count of three, Damon then drove a stake through her heart, ending her suffering.
She appeared again in Heart of Darkness, when she came to Jeremy, Elena, and Damon in ghost form so that she could communicate with Jeremy, who is a medium, from the Other Side. She said she was happy to be able to go where she pleased without having to worry about being on the run, and told Jeremy to tell Damon that he was still "dripping sex," though Jeremy was too embarrassed and disgusted by the comment to share the message. She then stated that she missed Damon and Elena before admitting that she was rooting for the two of them to finally end up together. After that, she revealed that she was turned by Mary Porter, but didn't know which Original turned Mary. She then went to search for Mary and returned later, letting him know where she lived so they could track her down.
Rose appeared to Jeremy one last time in the car on the way back to Mystic Falls, and told him that while Jeremy might be too young to understand, she believed that Damon and Elena were good together because they challenged each other and made each other better. She then added that Damon could be either the best or worst thing for Elena before she left again.
Rose seemed to care for others, vampires and humans alike, and stated on several occasions that she has never enjoyed taking human life. However, she was shown to be rather violent at times when it was necessary. For example, after she and Trevor kidnapped Elena, she smacked her across the face and sent her flying backward after she snapped at Elena to be quiet, as she was nervous about the arrival of Elijah and their intention to trade Elena for their freedom. She has shown to be sad for her fallen friend, Trevor, who she had turned many years ago, and considered him to be her only family. She was known for being loyal to her friends, and once she teamed up with Stefan, Damon, and Elena, she fought for them by giving them the information they needed in their fight against the Originals. Even after her death, she was shown keeping an eye on her friends from the Other Side.
Rose was an attractive and pretty young woman. She had dark brown hair and green eyes. In the past, she had long wavy hair, but in the present, her hair was cropped in short and simple bob. Her height is about 173 cm, or 5'8". In the present day, she was shown to dress casually in jeans, boots, long-sleeved shirts, and a leather jacket over top of it, and wore little jewelry. While she lived in the 15th century, however, she wore the long-sleeved dresses that were the style at the time.
Attitude Towards Humans
She was willing to give up both Katherine in 1492 and Elena in 2010 to Klaus in exchange for her and Trevor's freedom. She was brutal to Elena in Rose, backhand-slapping her so hard Elena spun in mid-air much like a spinning toy before landing unconscious on an old sofa. However, this may have been an attempt to keep her distance emotionally from a human she was delivering to her death. In 1492, after Katherine committed suicide by hanging herself with Rose's blood in her system and consequently becoming a vampire, Rose tried to kill Katherine by staking her. However, Katherine quickly used an old human woman as a shield and Rose inevitably staked her. She screamed in horror over this act, despite the fact that she had compelled the old woman to allow her to live there and was compelling her to do household chores. She may have truly cared about the woman or was just using her for protection from Klaus, though there was no sign Rose was hurting her or feeding on her. This suggests that she regards human life as more than a source of food or to be exploited, although it must be said again that she did compel the woman in that cottage.
Judging from how she seems to be interested in helping Elena's friends to keep Elena from being killed, her previous acts were those of desperation and not a reflection as to how she regards humans. Unfortunately, Rose was bitten by a werewolf (Jules), which is fatal to vampires. As it slowly killed her, it caused hallucinations along with the tremendous physical pain. She essentially went rabid and attacked Elena several times, thinking she was Katherine. After she left the house, she killed three people in her rabid state. Her behavior toward Elena and killing those humans caused her to feel a profound guilt from these actions, and wept when she regained her senses. She herself said she disliked taking human life, even when she was first turned all those centuries ago.
- Damon and Rose (Former Boyfriend/Close Friends)
- Elijah and Rose (Enemies)
- Elena and Rose (Friends)
- Rose and Trevor (Best Friends)
- Heart of Darkness (Ghost)
- Rose is derived from the Latin "Rosa", the name of a fragrant flower. Unlike Damon's and Stefan's, the name was quite popular in the times when Rose became a vampire.
- Other spellings and variations of the name Rose include Roza, Rada, Rasia, Rasine, Rois, Roise, Rosea, Roses, Rosina, Rosse, Roze, Rozelle, Roza, Raisa, Raizel, and Chalina.
- Other spellings of the name Rose-Marie include Rosemarie, Rosemarea, Rosemaree, Rosemari, Rosemaria, Rosemariah, Rozmari, Rozmaria, Rozmariah, and Rozmarie.
- She, Isobel, Katherine and Klaus are the only characters so far to have an episode named after them. Rose was the first to die of these characters to die, followed by Isobel.
- Kevin Williamson originally wanted Sarah Michelle Gellar, whom he had worked with on Scream 2 in 1997, to play the role of Rose, but, according to him, she was very appreciative but said no. He also says that this would have been the first and only stunt casting on The Vampire Diaries.
- It was never said in the show that Rose was Trevor's sister; Kevin Williamson only said this in an interview. However, it was certainly a mistake because, if it was not, Rose would have mentioned it.
- Rose never appears in the novels, but neither does a character with a similar construction to her.
- Rose tells Damon that there is no "humanity switch" after a vampire has lived more than several centuries. This was noted when Damon suggested that Rose use the switch to avoid the pain and grief of Trevor's death.
- She is the first vampire to be seen to be bitten by a werewolf in The Vampire Diaries series, followed by Damon, Katherine, Stefan, Elena, Caroline and Nadia. Rose and Nadia were the only vampires in this list who weren't cured of a werewolf bite with Niklaus Mikaelson's blood.
- Rose has shown respect and affection for human life, even before she first appeared in the series. She was upset and horrified by the death of the old woman who lived with her, who she accidentally staked while trying to kill Katherine, and who was ultimately killed by Katherine when she fed on her to complete her transition.
- On her deathbed, Rose admitted to Elena and Damon that she has always hated taking human life, and expressed guilt over the janitor and young couple she accidentally killed while confused and hallucinating as a result of her werewolf bite.
- She was 560 years old when she died.
- She was a self-professed "shipper" of Elena and Damon, and was the first character to openly do so.
- Rose was a good and close friend of Lexi. The reason why Rose knew of Stefan and Damon was because Lexi tried to set Rose up with Stefan, as mentioned in the episode Rose.
- While explaining this, Rose also admitted that she was more drawn to the "bad boys" like Damon.
- Rose and Trevor never met Katherine in the present day.
- Rose appears in the episode Heart of Darkness as a ghost.
- Rose was sired by a vampire named Mary Porter, making her a member of Niklaus Mikaelson's vampire bloodline.
- Rose has never met Bonnie, Caroline, Tyler, Matt and Alaric, but she did meet Klaus as a vampire in the 15th century.
- Rose's actress, Lauren Cohan, is no stranger to acting on shows that have supernatural beings. Before being cast into The Vampire Diaries, she was a series regular in the third season of Supernatural (portraying the thief and seller of supernatural artifacts Bela Talbot), and after the death of her character on both Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries, she started acting as a series regular for the hit series, The Walking Dead, a show about a zombie apocalypse, portraying Maggie Greene.
- Rose used to call Damon her "special friend," and was in a friends-with-benefits relationship with him.
- It is most likely she either found peace or was sucked into oblivion when the Other Side was destroyed.
- Rose: (to Elena) "Again with the questions. Haven’t the Salvatores been teaching you your vampire history?"
- Rose: (to Elena) "Trevor and I have been running for 500 years. We’re tired. We want it over. We’re using you to negotiate ourselves out of an old mess."
- Rose: (to Elena) "Because you're a Petrova doppelgänger. You’re the key to breaking the curse."
- Rose: (to Elena)"The blood of the doppelgänger. You're the doppelgänger. Which means, in order to break the curse, you're the one who has to die."
- Rose: (to Stefan) "I don’t need your help, but I think you need mine. Elijah may be dead, but this isn’t over."
- Rose: (to Stefan) "It isn’t over. The Originals, they’ll come for her. They have to. They’re doing it for him."
- Rose: (to Damon) "It’s an observation. Being in love with your brother’s girlfriend must be difficult."
- Rose: (to Damon) "I’m older than you and stronger. Don’t get on my bad side."
- Rose: (to Damon) "You remind me of Trevor."
- Rose: (to Damon) "It’s a lie, you know. There’s no switch you can turn off. Sure, when you’re a newbie... But, after a couple of hundred years... you just have to pretend."
- Rose: (to Damon) "It’s not nice to leave a girl naked so early in the morning."
- Rose: (to Elena) "I’ve been a slave to shadows for 500 years. What do you think?"
- Rose:"I’m gonna stay and help you."
- Damon: "Help me do what?"
- Rose: "Save Elena, protect Elena, all things Elena."
- Damon: "Really? Why?"
- Rose: "Because I like you. I believe in friendship. I happen to have a vacancy in that department, and you can use all the friends you can get."
- Damon: "Just friends?"
- Rose: "Just friends."
- Damon: "Are you sure you can do that?"
- Rose:"I don’t love men who love other women. I think more of myself than that. But, that doesn’t mean I can’t be your special friend."
- Rose: (to Elena and Damon) "It’s the worst part about it: the hunt, the need to kill, the thirst, the pleasure it brings you afterwards. I wasn’t meant to be evil. It hurts."
- Rose: (to Elena) "You can never forget it, what it’s like to be human. It haunts me. It’s the only thing that's kept me going. It doesn’t hurt as much anymore."
- Rose: (to Damon) "Who would have thought you’d be a nice guy?"
- Rose: (to Damon) "Will I see them again? My family?"
- Rose: (to Damon) "That would be nice. Maybe I’ll see Trevor too. I’m not afraid anymore."
- Rose: (to Damon) "On the count of three. One, two..."
- Rose: (to Jeremy about Damon) "Tell him he’s still dripping with sex too. (Jeremy stares at her, clearly embarrassed and grossed out) Fine, tell him I miss him."
- Rose: (to Jeremy) "And tell him I’m rooting for him and Elena."
- Rose: (to Jeremy) "Are we there yet? Don’t tell them I’m here. They had a fight. I know you want to stop it. Protect her from him. But you’re young, you don’t see what I see. It’s not just that she makes him a better person-- she does-- but he changes her too. Damon challenges her, surprises her. He makes her question her life, beliefs. Stefan is different-- his love is pure. He’ll always be good for her. Damon is either the best thing for her or the worst."