|“||You can never forget it, what it's like to be human. It haunts me, it's the only thing that's kept me going.||”|
Rose-Marie (a.k.a Rose) was a vampire and Trevor's best friend. When Katherine Pierce was running away from Klaus, Trevor helped her escape. While in their hideout, Katherine tricked Rose and became a vampire. Klaus pursed them for 500 years for presumably ending the Petrova bloodline. When they learned of the existence of a second doppelgänger, they kidnapped Elena Gilbert, hoping to exchange her for their freedom. But Elijah killed Trevor although he promised Rose her freedom. She fled after Elijah was staked and supposedly killed.
She later joined forces with the Salvatore brothers to defeat Klaus and had a brief sexual relationship with Damon Salvatore. She was bitten by Jules, a werewolf, and was killed (staked) by Damon, who wanted to end her severe suffering.
Rose was born in 1450 in St. Austell, England, but it is unknown exactly when she was turned into a vampire. Her maker was Mary Porter. In 1491, her friend Trevor sent Katerina Petrova to the cottage where they were staying. Rose was furious when she heard Katerina had fled from Klaus with the moonstone. She locked Katerina in a room with intentions of returning her to Klaus after sunset. Katerina cut herself and was about to die. She gave her some blood to heal because if Katerina had died, Klaus would've killed her as well.
However, Katerina hung herself and with Rose's blood in her system and woke up as a vampire in transition. She completed the transition by feeding on the human owner of the hideout. When Rose tried to kill Katerina, she failed and Katerina fled. Rose and Trevor knew that they would have to be on the run from Klaus and the rest of The Originals until they died.
Throughout The Series
Season TwoRose and Trevor discovered the next Petrova Doppelgänger's existence and decided to kidnap her and trade her for their freedom. Shortly after they got Elena inside, she walked in on Trevor trying to get a taste of blood from Elena, but she stopped him. While Rose and Trevor were talking, Elena overheard their conversation and asked who Elijah was. She saw fear in their eyes at the thought of his arrival. When he arrived, Elijah guaranteed her that he has power to forgive them. She believed that they would be free after half a millennium. However Elijah, although he had the power to do so, killed Trevor for his treason, but let Rose go for her loyalty. Stefan and Damon broke in looking for Elena. Damon staked Elijah with a coat hanger and they escaped. Rose later visited the Salvatore Boarding House and told Stefan that he would need her help because the rest of The Originals would be coming for Elena as soon as they learn of her existence. They would do it for Klaus, who'd want to sacrifice Elena to break a curse.
Rose helped Damon learn more about Klaus and the Originals. She called on Slater, an old friend, who knew how to locate Elijah. They met him on a coffee shop, whose window had a special filter that allowed vampires to see the sun. While they learned about the curse of the Sun and Moon, Elijah destroyed the cafe window. This caused several vampires to burn in the sun as they did not have any magic jewelry protecting them. Damon, protected by his ring, was able to see that Elijah - whom he had just staked - caused the window to break. Later, Rose asked Damon how he planned to protect Elena and he answered that to survive, one should not worry about anyone but oneself. Rose then received a call from Slater, who informed her that if they manage to remove the power from the moonstone by a witch, it would become useless for the ritual.
In The Sacrifice, Elena asked Rose for help after learning that her friends planned to enter the tomb and take the moonstone from Katherine. Elena proposes a bargain to Rose: if Rose helped her get in touch with Klaus, Elena would ask Bonnie to make Rose a daylight ring. They seeked Slater, but he was already dead. Alice, his girlfriend, didn't know that it happened. Rose told Elena Alice was with Slater only to become a vampire. So, in exchange for the password to Slater's computer, Elena told Alice that Rose can make her a vampire. Rose got angry at Elena because she has never made a vampire. Upon entering the database of the computer, they found Cody's contact. Elena asked Alice to call Cody and tell Klaus that the doppelgänger was alive and wants to surrender. Rose was shocked when she realized Elena was on a suicide mission. She secretly called Damon, who chastised Elena for trying to get herself killed. He was about to take her with him when Cody and two vampires arrived, requesting the doppelgänger so they can take her to Klaus. Suddenly Elijah arrived and killed the three vampires. Rose fled and Damon stands in front of Elena to protect her, but Elijah just turned and left, much to Damon and Elena's surprise.
Rose returned and apologized to Damon, but suddenly they both are attacked by a werewolf named Jules, seeking revenge because Damon killed her friend. Instead of biting Damon, she attacked Rose on the shoulder and escaped. Knowing the myth that werewolf's bite kills vampires, Rose and Damon first get scared, but are relieved o see that the injury is healing. Later that night, Rose told Damon that she wants to help him protect Elena be friends with him. Damon asked jokingly: "Just friends?" Rose said that she doesn't love men who love other women (meaning Elena), but they could be "special friends." Damon agreed and when they started to cuddle, they both noticed the place she was bitten is starting to become a really bad rash.
In The Descent, her condition is getting increasingly worse, giving her fever, nausea and hallucinations. While Elena took care of her, Rose told her that she cannot give up in the fight with Klaus and must keep living. During the episode, we learned more about Rose, including that she missed being human and had genuine feelings for Damon.
She hallucinated that Elena was Katherine and attacked her for revenge, but Elena was able to escape. Rose later went on a killing spree and killed a janitor and a young couple before being stopped by Damon, who took her back to the Boarding House.
In Damon's bed, she said goodbye to Elena and while in Damon's arms, they shared a dream created by Damon in which they are in Rose's birth town, playing in a field with horses. Rose told Damon that she was no longer afraid of death that awaits her and wished to see her family and Trevor soon. Damon then drove a stake through her heart, ending her sufferings.
She appeared in Heart of Darkness, where she communicated with Jeremy from the Other Side. She said she was happy and rooting for Damon and Elena to end up together. After that, she revealed that she was turned by Mary Porter, but didn't know which Original turned Mary. She then went to search for Maryand returned later, letting him know where she lived.
Rose appeared to Jeremy one last time in the car and told him that Damon could be either the best or worst thing for Elena.
Rose is a pretty young woman. She has dark brown hair and green eyes. In the past, she had long wavy hair, and in the present short and simple. Her height is about 173 cm.
Attitude Towards Humans
She was willing to give up both Katherine in 1492 and Elena in 2010 to Klaus in exchange for her and Trevor's freedom. She was brutal to Elena in Rose, backhand - slapping her so hard Elena spun in mid air much like a spinning toy, before landing unconscious on an old sofa. However, this may have been an attempt to keep her distance emotionally from a human she is delivering to her death. In 1492, after Katherine committed suicide by hanging herself with Rose's blood in her system and consequently becoming a vampire, Rose tried to kill Katherine by staking her. However, Katherine quickly used an old human woman as a shield and Rose inevitably staked her.
She screamed in horror over this, despite the fact that she had glamored the old woman and was compelling her to do household chores. She may have truly cared about the woman or was just using her for protection from Klaus, though there was no sign Rose was hurting her or feeding on her. This suggests that she regards human life as more than a source of food or to be exploited, although it must be said again that she did compel the woman in that cottage. Judging from how she seems to be interested in helping Elena's friends to keep Elena from being killed, her previous acts were those of desperation and not a reflection as to how she regards humans, albeit it still can be all a trick on Rose's case to later betray Elena. Unfortunately, Rose was bitten by a werewolf (Jules), which is fatal to vampires. As it slowly killed her, it caused hallucinations along with the tremendous physical pain. She essentially went rabid and attacked Elena several times, thinking she was Katherine. After she left the house, she killed three people in her rabid state. She felt a profound deep guilt over it and wept when she regained her senses. She herself said she disliked taking human life, even when she was turned all those centuries ago.
Powers and Abilities
These powers grow stronger with age and blood.
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful then werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short distances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - The supernatural ability to control and manipulate the emotions of one's self, and others.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Heightened Senses - Vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed those of humans and werewolves.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection.
- Healing Factor - Vampires heal extremely quickly, but still feel the pain of a wound before it heals. Vampires can snap their bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.The only injury that cannot be healed on its own is a werewolf bite.
- Super Durability - Vampires can take a great amount of damage.
- Fangs - Vampires can grow fangs which they use to feed, they might come out when a vampire is close to blood or angered.
- Decapitation: The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Fire or Sunlight: The act of exposing a vampire to fire or sunlight will result in permanent death.
- Vervain: The act of exposing or ingesting a vampire with vervain causes a vampire to become severely feverish and weak. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them. Also vampires can't compel anyone on vervain.
- Wood: The act of wounding a vampire with wood will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in permanent death.
- Heart Extraction: The act of extracting or removing the heart of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a home without an invitation by the owner.
- Magic: Vampires are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft including the creation of harmful magical objects.
- Desiccation: Vampires who abstain from blood for extended amounts of time will eventually desiccate into mummification.
- Vampire Bloodline: If an Original vampire dies, all vampires descended from their bloodline will slowly perish.
- Werewolf Bite: The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to vampires. It will cause them to hallucinate, grow severely weak and go rabid until it kills them. Klaus' hybrid blood can cure the bite.
- Broken Neck: Breaking a vampires neck is a common way to subdue one, it will not kill them but it will keep them unconscious for several hours and when they are still unconscious they won't have a pulse and appear to be dead.
- Heart of Darkness (Ghost)
- Rose is derived from the Latin "Rosa", the name of a fragrant flower. Unlike Damon's and Stefan's, the name was quite popular in the times when Rose became a vampire.
- Other spellings and variations of the name Rose include Roza, Rada, Rasia, Rasine, Rois, Roise, Rosea, Roses, Rosina, Rosse, Roze, Rozelle, Roza, Raisa, Raizel, and Chalina.
- Other spellings of the name Rose-Marie include Rosemarie, Rosemarea, Rosemaree, Rosemari, Rosemaria, Rosemariah, Rozmari, Rozmaria, Rozmariah, and Rozmarie.
- She, Isobel, Katherine and Klaus are the only characters so far to have an episode named after them. Rose was the first to die, followed by Isobel.
- Kevin Williamson originally wanted Sarah Michelle Gellar, whom he had worked with on Scream 2 in 1997, to play the role, but, according to him, she was very appreciative but said no. He also says that this would have been the first and only stunt casting on The Vampire Diaries.
- It was never said in the show that Rose was Trevor's sister; Kevin Williamson only said this in an interview. However, it was certainly a mistake because, if it was not, Rose would have said it.
- Rose never appears in the novels, but neither does a character with a similar construction to her.
- Rose tells Damon that there is no switch to turn off the emotions when you've lived a couple of hundred years, This is noted when Damon told Rose to use the switch to avoid the pain of Trevor's death.
- She is the first vampire to be seen get bitten by a werewolf, followed by Damon, Katherine, Stefan, Elena, and Caroline. She is the only vampire who wasn't cured of a werewolf bite.
- Rose and Lexi knew each other and were good friends, although they never interacted in the series.
- Rose has shown respect and affection for human life, even before she first appeared in the series (she suffers after the death of the old woman who lived with her, who ended up being killed by Katherine).
- She was 560 years old.
- She ships Elena and Damon like nobody's business. She is the first character to openly do so.
- Rose was a good and close friend of Lexi. The reason why Rose knew of Stefan and Damon was because Rose was supposed to go on a date with Stefan as mentioned in the episode Rose.
- Rose and Trevor have never met Katherine in the present day.
- Rose appears in the episode Heart of Darkness as a ghost.
- Rose was sired by a vampire named Mary Porter.
- Rose has never met Bonnie, Caroline, Tyler, Matt and Alaric. (But she did meet Klaus as a vampire in the past.)
- Rose's actress, Lauren Cohan, is no stranger to acting on shows that have supernatural beings. Before being cast into The Vampire Diaries, she was a series regular in the third season of Supernatural (portraying Bela Talbot) and after the death of her character on both Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries, she started acting as a series regular for the hit series, The Walking Dead, portraying Maggie Greene.