SummaryPAUL WESLEY MAKES HIS DIRECTORIAL DEBUT — Both Stefan and Elena are suddenly having unsettling dreams of an alternate version of the life they might have had together. Bonnie has a disturbing encounter with Grams, who warns her about frightening changes on the Other Side. Enzo gives Damon unwanted relationship advice, then admits he is searching for a woman he loved decades before while he was held captive by the Augustines. Liv enlists Matt, Jeremy and Tyler to help track the Travelers and keep them from taking control of Mystic Falls. Bonnie is hurt and angry when she learns that Jeremy is working with Liv behind her back. Luke shows up at the Salvatore house and explains what he knows about Markos and the Travelers to Damon, Elena and Enzo. Matt has a terrifying encounter with inhabitants of the Other Side. Finally, when Damon finds Markos, he is both relieved and disturbed by what Markos has to tell him. Candice Accola also stars.
Elena tries writing in her journal, but ends up ripping out the pages. They blow away in the breeze and Stefan picks them up. She tells him it's a particularly mortifying page from her journal. He hands it over. She introduces herself. He's nearly hit by a car, then she wakes up, to realize that she was having a weird dream. Over a game of pool, Enzo tries to understand how things are going with Damon and Elena. Damon turns things around on Enzo and asks about his missing girlfriend, Maggie, who the Travelers were supposed to help him find before they all ignited.
Out for coffee with Caroline, Elena hallucinates an early date with Stefan, him bringing her home (to a different house), and they ask each other at a date and kiss. Elena breaks it when she hears noises. She says it her her dad waiting up for her. Caroline snaps her back to reality and Elena realizes she has no memory of walking to the table. Elena tells Caroline the dream was like an alternate reality.Stefan calls Caroline, needing her to tell him he's not crazy. He describes having a vision of Elena and nearly getting hit by a car. Caroline thinks something's going on.
At Whitmore, Bonnie leaves Jeremy yet another message. Then she gets a visit from her ghost Gram, who tells her something is wrong on the other side. The witches think the Travelers tried to overwhelm Bonnie so they could get someone through from the Other Side. Whoever he is has the witches scared. Liv prepares for Traveler war by briefing Matt and Tyler, but first she wants them to stab themselves with the knife to make sure they're not carrying a passenger. Tyler goes first and heals. Matt takes it in the shoulder and Liv gets back to the briefing. Her coven has been tracking the Travelers for thousands of years and they only stop moving once in a rare while, to take over a town with passengers, like they're doing now in Mystic Falls. We see Travelers approaching three people in Mystic Falls and transferring passengers to them, including Sheriff Liz Forbes.
Damon gets a call from Elena, but ignores it. Caroline wonders why her mom hasn't shown up and isn't answering her texts. Then she calls Enzo and gets him to put Damon on. "You know how we all laughed off the notion that the universe was drawing Stefan and Elena together? Well, that's happening," Caroline says. With Tom dead, they're the last pair of doppelgängers. Damon tells them to bring a witch over so they can figure out what's going on. Bonnie shows up at Tyler's house to find Jeremy. She tells him about the visit from her Grams. She's angry to see Liv there, and Jeremy won't tell her what they're up to. He just assures her he has it handled and asks her to trust him. Matt visits Liz Forbes' office and calls Tyler, telling him the Travelers might have started with her. Passenger Liz hears him tell Tyler to bring the Traveler knife. He tries to lie to cover but she walks over and stabs him in the neck with a pen, killing him.
Suddenly, Bonnie sees him standing on the street in front of her. He tells her he's dead and she should tell Jeremy the sheriff is in trouble. He passes through her to the other side, where he's surprised that the other people there can see him -- including Klaus's brother, Kol, who Jeremy killed. Kol explains the other side is unraveling. Matt is only there until his ring brings him back, and realizes he might be able to see Vicki. Caroline and Elena come by the Salvatore house and Enzo and Caroline quickly leave Elena and Damon alone to eavesdrop on the awkwardness as Elena asks if they can just be friends. Caroline asks about Maggie, and Enzo explains that she was his source of hope through 70 years of captivity. He doesn't want to date her, he wants to thank her. Damon asks Elena about the visions and then grits his teeth as he asks if the visions show her with Stefan and really, really happy. Luke, Liv's witch brother, shows up at the Salvatore house.
Tyler approaches Liz on the street. She seems totally normal, but Tyler tests her by telling her his (dead) mom says hi. Passenger Liz tells him to say hi for her, so he stabs her with the Traveler knife. He's tending to her on the street when someone walks up to him. Back at the Salvatore house, Luke tells them their theory that Markos, the Traveler leader, is back. "Perfect. A dead old guy with a mysterious evil plan," Elena says. Luke suggests the visions are the Travelers drawing Stefan and Elena to them, but they need more clues.
Later that night, Damon drinks outside, "listening to the universe laugh at me," he tells Elena. "We were doomed from the beginning, Elena. We were always going to end up here." She assures him the universe doesn't control anything and it's not real. In another vision of the future, Elena comes home to Stefan cooking dinner. She opens the drawers looking for a wine opener and finds a ring box instead. She says yes without him needing to ask. As they kiss an envelope falls. She sees a letter with the house address on it on Walnut Drive. She comes to and announces she knows where to find Markos.
On the Other Side, Matt wanders around looking for Vicki and finds her. She tells him something is wrong and he needs to find his body and go back. They start running as the wind whips at them. She gets dragged backwards out of his grasp and he has to let her go. She sucked backwards up into a hole in the sky. Enzo and Damon approach the house on Walnut Drive. They find Markos inside. He tells them he's the reason Stefan and Elena are having visions of each other. He tells them the doppelgänger lore has been misinterpreted over the years. They're being drawn together because of a spell he cast 1,500 years ago because the Travelers needed their blood. "It turns out the best way to get people to go searching for each other is the promise of true love," he says. Markos asks Damon to take a walk with him, telling Enzo to stay put if he wants info on Maggie.
As they stroll, Markos explains that 2,000 years ago Silas and Qetsiyah cast the spell for immortality, creating a schism in the Traveler community and giving rise to the witches, who tried to keep the Travelers scattered because they're more powerful together. The witches put a curse on them that kept them from settling down together as a tribe. Doppelgänger blood can fix it. He tells Damon they don't want to hurt him and he'll end the visions. Dozens of Passengers in the square start chanting. In another Elena vision, she and Stefan have a pleasant family morning with two little rug rats running around. As the Travelers chant, Elena sees everything around her disappear. She comes out of it crying. Stefan is there, really. They both felt it just end. They weren't vampires, her family was still alive it was a fantasy they could never have. But it felt amazing to both of them. Stefan says the life they really had was amazing, too, and it was real, even when they grew apart. Stefan says he'll always love her, and she says the same. Elena wonders if she'll ever be able to talk to Damon like this. "I think you can either be friends with someone or in love with them," Stefan says.
Back on the Other Side, Kol urges Matt to remember what's going on there and find a way to stop it. In Liz's office, Bonnie and Jeremy make up as she scolds him for not being honest with her, again. Matt comes back to life and remembers what he saw on the Other Side. Elena tells Damon about the perfect life she saw in her visions, even though he doesn't want to hear about it. She tells him it wasn't real and what they had was, but he tells her he can't be her friend. He doesn't want to see her again. Caroline sits over her mother's bed, waiting for her to wake up. She talks to Tyler on the phone. Liz wakes up and Tyler hangs up. Tyler is with Markos, his body possessed. He gives him the knife that kills the Travelers and he destroys it by burning it.
Special Guest Star
- Antagonist: Markos and The Travelers.
- The Other Side is revealed to be slowly disintegrating, presumably due to the spell cast during the Sacrifice of Travelers in Rescue Me.
- Vicki Donovan is the second character seen to be drawn into what is assumed to be the dark world. The first was Katherine Pierce in Gone Girl.
- Kol makes his appearance for the first time this season. Excluding Esther, Finn and Mikael, all of the Mikaelsons have made an appearance in this season.
- Markos introduces himself in this episode, marking his first formal appearance in the show.
- Markos undoes the spell he placed on the doppelgängers to bring them together. He also destroys the last Traveler knife, which means there are no known weapons to kill a Passenger without also killing its host.
- Liv refers to Jeremy, Matt and Tyler as "the Three Stooges."
- Elena tells Damon she ran ten miles to deal with all the pent-up energy she has, and even jokes that she could have done twenty miles. This run was presumably done at a human pace and not at a vampire pace.
- Damon got a pool table to deal with all the pent-up energy he has from not being with Elena.
- It is revealed that the Travelers can't stay in one place too long because of a curse placed on them by the witches sometime after Qetsiyah created the immortality spell, which is how they gained the moniker "the Travelers."
- Both Sheriff Forbes and Mrs. Pam Douglas are the first female characters in the series to date, either from the guest cast or main cast, to be possessed by someone of the opposite gender. Mrs. Douglas by Carl and Liz by an unknown male Traveler.
- Tyler becomes the third main character to have a Passenger placed in their bodies. The first was Matt by Gregor in I Know What You Did Last Summer and Elena by Katherine Pierce in 500 Years of Solitude.
- Tyler is the first main character to be possessed twice in the series. The first time was in The Departed when Bonnie body-jumped Klaus into him in order to save all of the Mystic Falls Gang and their loved ones from dying due to the sireline connection. The second time is by Julian against his will in this episode.
- This is the sixth episode this season to have eight main cast members.
- Damon tells Elena at the end of the episode that he doesn't want to be around her, look at her, hear her voice or be her friend due to his struggle to deal with their break-up.
- Kol Mikaelson was last seen in Graduation on TVD and in flashbacks in Farewell to Storyville on TO.
- Vicki Donovan and Elizabeth Forbes were last seen in 500 Years of Solitude.
- Pam Douglas was last seen in Rescue Me.
- Sheila Bennett was last seen in Graduation.
- Elena and Stefan are wearing the same clothes as they did in the Pilot at the start of their visions of their alternate lives together created by Markos' spell.
- The Traveler's Knife was used in this episode. It was last used in Gone Girl to remove Katherine's spirit from Elena's body.
Behind the Scenes
- This marks the first episode of TVD to be directed by one of its cast members.
- This makes Paul Wesley the first member of the TVD cast to direct an episode in the TVD/TO universe; the first to write for it is Marguerite MacIntyre, with three episodes of The Originals.
- This episode had about 1.66 million viewers in USA, which was 0.07 million less than the previous episode.
- Kent Wagner portrayed an Other Side ghost in this episode. He would portray the Heretic Malcolm in season six before the character was officially cast.
- Resident Evil is the title of a series of science fiction horror films starring Milla Jovovich. These films were based on a video game series of the same name which was released on PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.
- Plot of the series focuses on multiple characters and their roles in recurring outbreaks of zombies/infected humans and other monsters/Bio Organic Weapon, or B.O.W., initially due to the release of the Tyrant virus aka T-virus, a biological weapon created by the fictional Umbrella Corporation. Usually the virus is released intentionally in a city or region of the world, and the protagonists must find a cure or stop the infection, in addition to finding the cause / people who released the virus.
- Spencer Locke who portrayed Amber Bradley also had a major role in the Resident Evil films, she appeared as K-Mart in Resident Evil: Extinction and Resident Evil: Afterlife
- Rock Band "Horror Thir13teen" released a song on their album T-Virus called Resident Evil.
- Caroline: "Something's going on. Stefan and Elena are suddenly having vision-type situations of each other."
- Damon: "What do you mean visions?"
- Elena: (alternate universe) "I'll bite you."
- Stefan: (alternate universe) "I'll bite you right back."
- Enzo: "That good, eh?"
- Damon: "So, having sex-dreams about my brother, huh?"
- Elena: "Wow, okay. Yeah, that's one way to change the topic..."
- Damon: "Well I just thought I'd skip the uncomfortable parts."
- Enzo: "Thought you were bringing a witch."
- Caroline: "We said we’d call her, we didn’t say we’d pick her up."
- Elena: "So, where’s... where’s Damon?"
- Damon: "Hi."
- Elena: "Hi."
- Enzo: "So, who could use a drink from the library?"
- Caroline: "Yes, please!"
- Elena: "Well, at least they’re not being obvious."
- Jeremy: "Bonnie!"
- Bonnie: "Surprise! Actually, not really I left you a voicemail and I texted."
- Jeremy: "I know, I know... Sorry. Um, I’ve just been busy moving in and stuff."
- Bonnie: "Great! All your stuff. Anyway I need your help. I think something is going on on the Other Side."
- Jeremy: "What do you mean?"
- Bonnie: "My Grams said the witches are worried somebody got out, and I thought since you can see ghosts..."
- Liv: "Jeremy, come on. Back to work."
- Bonnie: "Liv’s here. Are you kidding me?"
- Liv: "This isn’t what it looks like. Jeremy hired me to help him with math."
- Bonnie: "Right, was that before or after when you lied to my face and tried to kill his sister?"
- Liv: "Um..."
- Bonnie: "Tell me what’s going on."
- Jeremy: "I can’t. I'm sorry. We have this handled. I just... I need you to trust me, okay?"
- Stefan: "Well, you know how sometimes you feel crazy and you call me and I tell you that you're not crazy?"
- Caroline: "Even though most of the time I am."
- Stefan: "Well, I need you to tell me that I'm not crazy."
- Caroline: "Uh, no promises."
- Stefan: "I was walking to my car, and I nearly got plowed over in the middle of the street because I was having some vision of Elena."
- Caroline: "I take that back. Actually, you're not crazy at all. Something's going on."
- Tyler: (to Matt) "Dude, you have a magic ring that brings you back from the dead, quit bitching."