|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 5, Episode 18|
|Air date||April 17, 2014|
|Written by||Brian Young & Caroline Dries|
|Directed by||Paul Wesley|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
Man on Fire
PAUL WESLEY MAKES HIS DIRECTORIAL DEBUT — Both Stefan and Elena are suddenly having unsettling dreams of an alternate version of the life they might have had together. Bonnie has a disturbing encounter with Grams, who warns her about frightening changes on the Other Side. Enzo gives Damon unwanted relationship advice, then admits he is searching for a woman he loved decades before while he was held captive by the Augustines. Liv enlists Matt, Jeremy and Tyler to help track the Travelers and keep them from taking control of Mystic Falls. Bonnie is hurt and angry when she learns that Jeremy is working with Liv behind her back. Luke shows up at the Salvatore house and explains what he knows about Markos and the Travelers to Damon, Elena and Enzo. Matt has a terrifying encounter with inhabitants of the Other Side. Finally, when Damon finds Markos, he is both relieved and disturbed by what Markos has to tell him.
Special Guest Cast
- Antagonist: Markos and The Travelers
- The Other Side is revealed to be breaking apart.
- Vicki Donovan is the second character seen to be drawn into what is assumed to be the dark world. First was Katherine Pierce.
- Kol makes his appearance for the first time this season. Excluding Finn and Mikael, all the Originals have made an appearance in this season.
- Markos introduces himself in this episode, marking his first formal appearance in the show.
- Markos undoes the spell he placed on the Dopplegängers to bring them together.
- Liv refers to Jeremy, Matt and Tyler as the Three Stooges.
- Elena tells Damon she ran 10 miles to deal with the visions as well clear her head and saying could've done 20 miles. This must've been at a human running pace not a vampires.
- It is revealed that the Travelers can't stay in one place too long because of a curse placed on them by the witches, hence the moniker.
- Both Sheriff Forbes and Mrs. Pam Douglas are the first female characters in the series to date, guest or main cast, to be possessed by someone of the opposite gender. Mrs. Douglas by Carl and Liz by an unknown male Traveler.
- Tyler becomes the third main character to have a Passenger placed in them after Matt by Gregor and Elena by Katherine Pierce.
- Tyler is the first main character to be possessed twice in the series. The first time was in The Departed by choice to save his friends by Klaus. The second time is by Julian against his will in this episode.
- Tyler's also the third and fifth supernatural character to be possessed in the series after Bonnie by her ancestor Emily and Rebekah by Esther her mother. Tyler's body was possessed by Klaus in the Season 3 finale. Elena was next, being possessed by her ancestor Katerina Petrova.
- This is the sixth episode this season to have eight cast members.
- Damon tells Elena at the end of the episode that he doesn't want to be around her, look at her, hear her voice or be her friend.
- This is the third episode of the fourth chapter of Season Five, The Travelers Chapter, (While You Were Sleeping to Home.)
- Kol Mikaelson was last seen in Graduation on TVD and in Farewell to Storyville on TO.
- Vicki Donovan and Elizabeth Forbes were last seen in 500 Years of Solitude.
- Pam Douglas was last seen in Rescue Me.
- Sheila Bennett was last seen in Graduation.
- Elena and Stefan are wearing the same clothes as they did in the Pilot at the start of their visions of their alternate lives together created by Markos' spell.
- The Traveler's Knife was used in this episode. It was last used in Gone Girl to remove Katherine's spirit from Elena's body.
Behind the Scenes
- This marks the first episode of TVD to be directed by one of its cast members.
- This makes Paul Wesley the first member of the TVD cast to direct an episode in the TVD/TO universe; the first to write for it is Marguerite MacIntyre, with three episodes of The Originals.
- This episode had about 1.66 million viewers in USA.
- Resident Evil is the title of a series of science fiction horror films starring Milla Jovovich. These films were based on a video game series of the same name which was released on PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.
- Plot of the series focuses on multiple characters and their roles in recurring outbreaks of zombies/infected humans and other monsters/Bio Organic Weapon, or B.O.W., initially due to the release of the Tyrant virus aka T-virus, a biological weapon created by the fictional Umbrella Corporation. Usually the virus is released intentionally in a city or region of the world, and the protagonists must find a cure or stop the infection, in addition to finding the cause / people who released the virus.
- Spencer Locke who portrayed Amber Bradley also had a major role in the Resident Evil films, she appeared as K-Mart in Resident Evil: Extinction and Resident Evil: Afterlife
- Rock Band "Horror Thir13teen" released a song on their album T-Virus called Resident Evil.
- Caroline: "Something's going on. Stefan and Elena are suddenly having vision type situations of each other."
- Damon: "What do you mean visions?"
- Enzo: "That good, eh?"
- Jeremy: "Bonnie!"
- Bonnie: "Surprise! Actually, not really I left you a voice mail and I texted."
- Jeremy: "I know, I know…Sorry! EM…I’ve just been busy moving in and stuff."
- Bonnie: "Great! All your stuff. Anyway I need your help. I think something is going on on the Other Side."
- Jeremy: "What do you mean?"
- Bonnie: "My grams said the witches are worried somebody got out and I thought since you can see ghosts..."
- Liv: "Jeremy come on, back to work."
- Bonnie: "Liv’s here. Are you kidding me?"
- Liv: "This isn’t what it looks like. Jeremy hired me to help him with math."
- Bonnie: "Right, was that before or after when you lied to my face and tried to kill his sister."
- Liv: "Umh…"
- Bonnie: "Tell me what’s going on."
- Jeremy: "I can’t. I'm sorry. We have this handled. I just .. I need you to trust me. Ok!"
- Stefan: "Well, you know how sometimes you feel crazy and you call me and I tell you that you're not crazy?"
- Caroline: "Even though most of the time I am."
- Stefan: "Well, I need you to tell me that I'm not crazy."
- Caroline: "Uh, no promises."
- Stefan: "I was walking to my car, and I nearly got plowed over in the middle of the street because I was having some vision of Elena."
- Caroline: "I take that back. Actually, you're not crazy at all. Something's going on."
- Tyler: "Dude you have a magic ring that brings you back from the dead, quit bitching."