Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||We defeated my mother, and her witches, because we stood united. That is how we will face all our enemies. As a family.||”|
REBUILDING HOMES AND RECRUITING NEW FAMILY — After months of being holed up inside his compound, Klaus enlists the help of Elijah and Marcel in plotting his revenge against the Guerrera werewolves, and vows to take down anyone who poses a threat to baby Hope’s existence. Elijah watches helplessly as Hayley spirals downward while mourning the loss of her daughter and struggling to adapt to her new hybrid status. Exiled by the Guerrera werewolves, who now control the French Quarter, Marcel is still reeling over the destruction of his vampire family, and attempts to rebuild his home with the help of Josh. Elsewhere, Cami, who is attempting to regain some normalcy in her life, seeks comfort in a surprising place. Lastly, Davina continues her plan to use Mikael against Klaus, but gets sidetracked when she meets the mysterious, yet charming Kaleb, who holds a few secrets of his own.
|Esther (in Cassie's body) — The mother of Klaus and Elijah is revealed to be the witch that has returned in the season one finale, alongside their two brothers — Finn (in Vincent's body) and Kol (in Kaleb's body). Klaus, in search of the White Oak Stake, prepares
for a battle with the werewolves in order to get the moonlight rings from them. Not knowing that the Stake is in his father — Mikael's possession — Klaus is able to get the moonlight rings when Elijah and Marcel kill the werewolves while Hayley brutally kills Francesca. Both Finn and Kol use Davina and Camille to know what their brothers are up to, while Esther plans ahead.
Since losing her daughter, Hayley has spent a good deal of time alone in the bayou in her wolf form, preferring that to her vampire self, a side with which she isn't comfortable and might not ever be. Klaus has been furiously trying to paint while refusing to leave the walls of the compound, but to no avail.
He's frustrated in every possible definition of the word.
So is the relationship between Hayley and Elijah. In fact, it seems the two haven't been speaking in the months since Rebekah swept Hope out of New Orleans. Elijah prompts Klaus to try to help her and the original hybrid declines saying Elijah's doing a good enough job. Clearly Klaus hasn't been paying attention to the fact that they are BOTH grieving parents right now.
The only two people who seem not to be frustrated, at least not sexually, are Cami and Marcel who've been knocking boots since he was kicked out of the Quarter. It's strictly "no strings attached" sex, you guys. That's all it is.
Uh huh. Sure it is. (Is that the sight of two love triangles I spy on the horizon? Yes, yes it is. Maybe?)
In order to take back the city from the Guerrera wolves and those with whom they have aligned themselves, Klaus and Elijah must track down the twelve moonlight rings Genevieve made for Francesca. Once they locate the final ring, they decide to strike on the full moon. Those werewolves without a moonlight ring will be out of commission and none of the others will see the group coming since Klaus is in his weakest state when they are strongest.
They sorely underestimate Klaus and his ability to plan a massacre.
After almost no fight at all, which was a bit anti-climactic given this show's penchant for well-orchestrated bloodbath scenes, the group was successful in gathering and destroying all 12 rings. I'm not sad to see Francesca go at all, even if her end felt way too rushed and like the writers just went "Oh sh*t! We have a loose end to tie up here! Let's kill them all!"
The entire introduction of her line simply served as a way to further complicate an already (unnecessarily) complicated plot, so one less bad guy on the block is okay by me, particularly when we'll have both Esther and Mikael to deal with in the coming weeks.
It was disconcerting to have Esther be in Cassie's body. Finn-cent and Kaleb were (and are) equally difficult to digest. There's always something weird about watching different actors play cast members we've met before and are familiar with, so while I'm not always a fan of the trope of bringing people back from the dead and resurrecting bodies anyway, I wouldn't be opposed to watching that happen in this instance, if for no other reason than because Esther deserves to be played by a much older person and Nathaniel Buzolic is hot.
Add in Mikael, who's being kept as a pet of sorts by Davina right now, and we have a recipe for one, big dysfunctional family reunion fast approaching.
Family, above all, right? And Elijah's dedication to Klaus--and now Klaus' loyalty to Hayley and acceptance that she's part of their family--is what made this episode, (and this series) work.
While Hayley is struggling with her place in the world now that who she was has been effectively destroyed, Klaus gets to show a different side of himself to Little Wolf and help her in understanding who she is now that she is both vampire and werewolf. There's an understanding between Hayley and Klaus now that leads me to think we might be seeing the brothers fighting for her affection soon, and knowing that Nina Dobrev is coming to The Originals as Tatia, perhaps my suspicions are correct.
(Klaus definitely still has a thing for Cami, and she definitely has a connection to both Klaus AND Marcel, hence my earlier statement that we're about to watch two love triangles unfold. Maybe, okay. Maybe.)
For a premiere episode, The Originals Season 2 Episode 1 did its job, even while parts fell flat, primarily those dealing with the disposal of the werewolf faction controlling the city.
The premiere closed old stories and opened new ones. It set up myriad ways in which there will be conflicts between our main characters. It showed us a struggling Hayley who can't comprehend what it means to live forever.
And it showed us hope for what's to come: Klaus' redemption, Hayley's acceptance, and a little more shirtless Marcel. If we're lucky.
Special Guest Star
- Antagonist: Guerrera Werewolves (Notibily Francesca Guerrera)
- Narrator: Rebekah Mikaelson
- Title meaning: the rebirth of the ones defeated by the Guerreras a few months previously: Klaus, severely weakened on the full moon by the Guerrera's use of the moonlight rings bound with his blood; Hayley, traumatized by the loss of her daughter and her transformation into a hybrid; and Marcel, finally taking the fight to the werewolves to avenge the loss of his vampire friends.
- Eleven of the twelve Guerrera werewolves with moonlight rings, including Francesca and her brothers, are killed by Klaus, Marcel, Elijah, and Hayley.
- Francesca specifically was killed by Hayley for her part in the Bayou bombing and her complicity in the attempted murder of Hope, while Francesca's brothers were killed by Elijah.
- However, Oliver was the only ring-clad werewolf who life was spared, due to Hayley's emotional attachment to the Crescent Wolf Clan.
- Davina has been using Esther's Grimoires to create her own spell that will unlink Josh and Marcel from Klaus' Vampire Bloodline so Mikael will be able to kill Klaus without harming her friends in the process.
- Davina is also revealed to have left the French Quarter Coven and returned to high school.
- Davina has been buying vinyl records of Icelandic folk music for Mikael to listen to in the attic of St. Anne's Church.
- Cami and Marcel have been continuing their intimate relationship, though Cami ultimately breaks up with Marcel at the end of the episode in an effort to separate herself from the supernatural drama of the town.
- Marcel, under the effects of Klaus' compulsion, does not remember that he played a part at ensuring the survival of Hope Mikaelson by the end of Season One, and is under the impression that the Guerreras very likely killed Hope.
- As a result, he is suspicious as to why Klaus and Elijah had yet to make a move on them in the time since Hope's "death."
- We learn that in 1925 the Guerrera pack numbered about one hundred total wolves when Marcel and his army attacked and nearly wiped them out. It is also revealed that the modern-day Guerrera Pack has recruited wolves from all over the country, though only twelve of them had the moonlight rings that Klaus and Elijah sought to steal back.
- Davina reveals that Cassie (possessed by Esther) has been helping the witches craft new moonlight rings for the Guerrera Pack. Fortunately, since they do not use Klaus' blood, the use of them to prevent a wolf from turning on a full moon doesn't weaken Klaus like the rings Genevieve made did.
- Esther cannot find the White Oak stake with a locator spell, and is impressed that whoever has it (Davina) has managed to cloak it from even her.
- Esther tells Finn that his brothers are excellent strategists and that Francesca will be her own undoing.
- This episode firmly establishes that the rules of invitation when it comes to vampires visiting the homes of humans also applies to triggered werewolves, as Francesca was convinced that she was protected from Elijah's intrusion as long as she didn't invite him in.
- However, Elijah managed to get around this restriction by compelling a city worker to invoke imminent domain on Francesca's home, which made it essentially public property and thus open to everyone without invitation, allowing Elijah to enter and kill the Guerrera brothers.
- As of this episode, all members of the Original Family are alive in one form or another.
- Klaus plans to salvage the Mikaelsons' relationship with the werewolves by helping Hayley reclaim her status as Queen of the Crescent wolves.
- This is the first episode of the TVD/TO universe where all the known Mikaelson family members appeared in the present day in the same episode.
- However, it was unknown at this time that the eldest Mikaelson child, Freya, was still alive, as everyone but Esther and Finn believed that she died of the plague in the 10th century.
- Elijah destroys the twelve enchanted black kyanite stones from the moonlight rings that caused Klaus' weakness on the full moon by using the elements of water and fire to destroy their spell.
- Francesca - drained of blood, killed by Hayley.
- Francesca's brothers - killed by Elijah
- Unknown Werewolves - killed by Marcel, Klaus, Elijah and Hayley
- This episode marks the first appearances of Joe, Kaleb and Gia in the series.
- Kol Mikaelson was last seen in flashbacks in Farewell to Storyville (TO) and Resident Evil (TVD). This is his first present day appearance on The Originals, but this time possessing the body of the witch Kaleb.
- New Orleans
Behind the Scenes
- The title of this episode Rebirth could be a reference to Hayley's new status as a Hybrid or the struggles of Klaus to move on after his daughter's gone away. It could also be a reference to the characters that were brought back to life in the season finale.
- This episode had about 1.36 million viewers in USA.
- The Rebirth Brass Band is a New Orleans brass band. They were featured in the pilot episode.
- Imminent Domain is a power granted under the US Constitution allowing the Federal, State or City government to take someone's home or property for the betterment of the community with payment for said property.
- Kaleb: "I'm Kaleb."
- Davina: "Davina."
- Camille: "The city is being run by gangsters and you guys aren't doing anything about it!"
- Niklaus: "I need to act, I need to spill blood."
- Marcel: "The wolves have the numbers."
- Niklaus: "Oh, we don't need to hit them all! Just the twelve with the rings that take me out every full moon. Ahh...Tonight, we're going on a wolf hunt."
- Mikael: "I am Mikael, the vampire who hunts vampires."
- Niklaus: "They're in possession of something very dangerous to us."
- Marcel: "They have the stake that can kill you."
- Davina: "Once I unlink my friends from Klaus' sire line, I will unleash you to be the monster that you're so eager to be."
- Esther: "A thousand years ago, I was one of the greatest witches that has ever lived. Now I've returned. Let's get to work. We have a family reunion to plan."
- Rebekah: "Once upon a time, there was a majestic king, who lived with his noble brother in a colorful kingdom where music and art were celebrated. The king did not foresee having a child, but he lived in an enchanted land where all things were possible. In time, he was blessed with a beautiful baby daughter for whom he wished only peace and happiness. Still, the king had demons who pursued him. There was a ruthless beast who wanted to take the kingdom for her own. Armed with a pack of untamed creatures, she drove the other magical beings from the land. And there was a wicked sorceress with enchanted stones that weakened the king on every full moon. Seeing the shadow his enemies cast upon his home, the king was driven to send his beloved princess away, convincing all who remained that she was forever lost. The king, in his sorrow, turned away from the world. The castle closed its doors and the kingdom fell. Some say that the only light that shines in the castle illuminates the shadow of the once mighty king in the room meant for his child. But as the ruthless beasts took rule over the fallen king's realm, little did they that he and his brother would not rest until their enemies were vanquished. For they believed that one day, they would heal their kingdom and bring their princess home, so that she might live happily ever after."
- Cami: "I know your family is grieving, but I know you don't believe those rumors that Marcel killed the baby. So, if you want help taking down the Guerreras, you have a weapon across the river just waiting to be fired. Use it."