|“||The first rule of truly living: do the thing you're most afraid of.||”|
Rebekah Mikaelson is a free-spirited Original Vampire. Rebekah was the romantic interest of Stefan Salvatore in the 1920's, daughter of Mikael and Esther, and also the only sister of an unnamed deceased brother, Elijah, Finn, Kol, and Henrik, and is also the only half-sister of Niklaus. After the death of Henrik, she became the youngest sibling in the family. She lives in Mystic Falls now and has her own house.
Rebekah is a member of the Mikaelson Family.
The Middle Ages
Rebekah is the only daughter of Mikael and Esther, wealthy land owners from Eastern Europe in the 10th century. She is the sixth of seven siblings, Elijah, Finn, Niklaus, Kol, Henrik, and an unknown older brother who died while the couple still lived in the Old World. Not much is known about Rebekah's early life, other than that she was born in the New World, where they lived in peace among werewolves for twenty years. However, during a full moon, when the wolves were transforming, Klaus and Henrik snuck out to watch the villagers transform from men to beast. As the sun began to rise, Rebekah saw Klaus carrying Henrik's lifeless body back into the village. He stated that one of the wolves had mauled Henrik to death.
Not wanting to lose another child, their mother Esther cast a spell (Vampiric Transformation Ritual), calling upon the Sun for life and the White Oak Tree for immortality. However, the spell lead to some untimely acts. Unbeknownst to Rebekah and her siblings, they drank wine laced with the blood of Tatia for dinner, and afterwards, Mikael drove his sword through their hearts. After their awakening, Mikael forced his children to feed on a local villager therefore completing their transition into vampires.
Later, they began to realize that their new gift had its weaknesses. The flowers that grew at the base of the White Oak Tree, vervain, burned them and prevented compulsion. The sun burned their skin, making it impossible to walk in the daylight for them. They were unable to enter the homes of their neighbors without an invitation. Also their thirst was uncontrollable. Realizing that a wood carved from the White Oak Tree would be fatal to them, they burned the tree to the ground. After their mother's death, Rebekah, Klaus and Elijah swore to each other that they would never turn on each other and stick together as one, always and forever.
Rebekah was residing in Italy with her brothers Klaus and Elijah when they met a vampire hunter named Alexander, a member of a group called The Five. Rebekah soon fell in love with him and this allowed Klaus and Elijah to get closer to him and question him about The Five. During this time, Alexander and Rebekah planned to get married. They even picked out a church and he shared a lot of information with her about his plans for hunting vampires. However, unbeknownst to her, Alexander had found out she was a vampire and while she and all of her siblings were his guests, overnight The Five daggered them all with white oak ash daggers. Klaus, unaffected by the dagger thanks to his werewolf lineage, undaggered her after killing Alexander and the rest of The Five. Klaus then viciously interrogated her until she revealed that Alexander's supposed ultimate weapon was a "cure." Despite everything that had happened, she buried Alexander with his sword at the church where they had planned to marry.
Rebekah was in England along with Elijah and Klaus. She met Katerina Petrova, the first Petrova Doppleganger, who was going to be sacrificed soon to activate Klaus's werewolf side. However, after Katerina's escape, which subsequently destroyed Klaus and Elijah's bond, Rebekah has held a grudge against her ever since.
Moving from town to town and wreaking havoc, Rebekah and Klaus found themselves in Chicago during the roaring 20s. After her introduction to Stefan Salvatore, Rebekah immediately fell in love with him. Not long after, Mikael arrived in the city searching for Klaus and intending to kill him.
Mikael and the police fired wooden bullets into the building. Rebekah, Stefan, and Klaus ducked to avoid the bullets and in the commotion, Rebekah lost her mother's necklace. Klaus met up with Stefan and compelled him to forget ever meeting him and Rebekah.
Later, Rebekah and Klaus are shown to be packing and moving elsewhere. Klaus tells Rebekah to hurry up, but she says that she is not going anywhere without Stefan. Klaus tells her to let Stefan go, but Rebekah refuses, intent on staying with him. Klaus forces her to choose between him and Stefan, and as she opted for the latter, he neutralizes her with the White Oak Ash Dagger. This is the only weapon that can be used to neutralize an Original Vampire like Klaus and herself.
Rebekah remained neutralized for 90 years and stored in a coffin which was carried around with Klaus wherever he went. The coffins also contained her other brothers, Finn and Kol.
The Originals series
|“||Being a human means a fresh start. I can grow old and have a family and fill my days with meaning, knowing that each one matters.||”|
— Rebekah to Elijah
In the flashbacks that show Rebekah before being turned into a vampire, she is a caring, supportive and overall sweet teenage girl.
Initially, Rebekah's personality in the series is erratic, spiteful and vindictive. After being turned, the aspects of her personality were heightened. Rebekah mentions this, saying, “We’re vampires. Our emotions are heightened. I’m stubborn, Elijah moral, and Nik….Nik has no tolerance for those who disappoint him.” After her mother’s death, Rebekah grieves deeply, sometimes crying herself to sleep calling out her mother’s name, as said by Esther. After spending centuries with Niklaus, with whom she shares a close bond with, she has become dependent on him, although she is not fond of him making decisions for her.
Because of the heartbreak she has endured, Rebekah has built up an emotional wall, and she comes across as being cruel, aggressive and mean. Despite her aggressive nature, she has shown to be emotionally fragile. In reference to Rebekah, Elena says, “I learned that she is just a girl, and that she lost her mom too young. And she loves blindly and recklessly, even if it consumes her.” She very much wants to be like a normal teenager, and longs to have the normal teenage life she missed out on. Rebekah is also shown to be very punctual, as she showed up on time to clean up the dance that she organized, but didn't attend due to the incident with Esther and reprimanded Caroline for showing up two minutes late.
Rebekah fears being left alone, and she doesn't believe it when people treat her kind as a friend or a lover. Over the centuries, she was let down by her brother Klaus and her lover Stefan. She is just a lonely girl who wants someone who actually cares about her. Rebekah had her heart melted when she saw Stefan and Elena devotion to each other, possibly because she wanted to be in a similar relationship.
- Main article: Rebekah Mikaelson/Appearance
Rebekah is very attractive and has icy/natural blond hair, light, blue eyes and pale skin. She's over 1000-years-old, but looks like she is in her late teens, possibly 18 years old. She appears to be the youngest of the Originals. When Rebekah is in her vampiric form, her eyes will turn red with small veins protruding around the area of her eyes and her teeth will lengthen into fangs possibly longer than that of regular vampires. Her eyes also seem a lot redder than usual vampires.
Powers and Abilities
- Super Strength - Originals are much stronger than normal vampires, werewolves, hybrids and humans. They are able to decapitate other species with a single chop and shatter windows and doors with small objects.
- Super Speed - Originals are much faster than normal vampires, werewolves, hybrids and humans. They are able to stop other supernatural species in their tracks and run miles in mere minutes.
- Heightened Senses - Original vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight, smell, and taste.
- Super Agility - Originals possess superhuman agility. They can move, jump, climb, and run incredibly fast without difficulty or exhaustion.
- Accelerated Healing - Originals injuries heal faster than normal vampires, werewolves, hybrids and humans.
- Durability - Originals can take far more trauma than normal vampires, werewolves, hybrids and humans can without much discomfort or injury. Originals can heal faster than normal vampires when exposed to vervain and wood does not seem to weaken them.
- Mind Compulsion - Originals can compel the minds of humans, vampires, and hybrids.
- Immortality - Originals are nearly indestructible, and will live forever.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Emotional Control - Vampires have a limited degree of control over their own emotions, allowing them to switch off their humanity to make killing easier.
- White Oak Stake - Is the only thing that can permanently kill an Original, It comes from an Ancient White Oak tree during the time of the genesis of the Vampire Race, at this point there is no more of them since the only one was used on Mikael.
- White Oak Ash Dagger- A Silver Dagger dipped in the ash of the white oak tree will temporary kill/neutralize an original but only as long as the dagger remains in their heart.
- Stakes - Stakes will not permanently kill an original but it does neutralize them for some time.
- Vervain - Vervain burns originals just like it does with the other vampires, although an original will heal very fast to the point where the damage done by the vervain is gone in seconds.
- Uninvited Invitation - In order to enter any house owned by human/s, they had to be invited by that person. Once invited the vampire cannot be uninvited. If a vampire lives in a house, other vampires can enter freely and if vampire is in the house without being invited in it will become disoriented and will begin to suffocate.
- Sunlight - Also burns Originals like normal vampires, but it cannot kill them.
- Werewolf Bite - Where a werewolf bite can't kill Originals, it weakens them and gives them the same sort of effect as it would an ordinary vampire, causing hallucinations. However, the affect only lasts for a few hours.
- Rebekah, is a Hebrew name (רבקה) which means "to tie". It's a biblical name, of the wife of Isaac and mother of Esau and Jacob.
- She is the only female Original and is the oldest female vampire overall to appear in the series.
- As the only female Original vampire, she can be considered the oldest and most powerful female vampire on the planet.
- As of Graduation, she is the most-recurring character with 35 appearances.
- Rebekah is the only non-main character who appeared in 35 episodes during two seasons.
- She appeared in 18 episodes in Season 4, more episodes than Bonnie, Matt, Tyler, and Jeremy, who are main characters.
- She is the third Original overall to appear. Elijah being the first, and Klaus the second.
- Rebekah was neutralized by Klaus penultimately, before Elijah.
- Rebekah is one of only four recurring characters to appear in more than 10 episodes during their inaugural season. The others being Anna, who appeared in eleven episodes during Season 1; Elijah, who appeared in twelve episodes during Season 2; and Atticus Shane, who has appeared in eleven episodes in Season 4.
- Rebekah is the only recurring character to appear in almost every episode of a singular season without becoming a main cast member. She appeared in 17/22 episodes during Season 3. She also appeared in 18/23 episodes during Season 4.
- Rebekah was the second Original shown to be neutralized.
- Both Claire Holt and Bianca Lawson (Emily Bennett) played Emily Fields' girlfriends in Pretty Little Liars.
- Rebekah is the third Original neutralized by Elena Gilbert.
- Rebekah and Kol are the only ones who calls Klaus 'Nik.' Everyone else calls him Klaus or Niklaus.
- Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin worked together in a TV series called H20: Just Add Water back in 2006. Since the sister show The Secret Circle was cancelled Kevin Williamson wanted to write Phoebe into the show with Claire. It was later confirmed that Phoebe will be appearing in Season Four playing the role of Hayley.
- Ironically, when acting on H20, Claire Holt portrayed a mermaid called Emma Gilbert and in The Vampire Diaries, she hated Elena, who is a Gilbert.
- Rebekah refers to herself as Kol's "baby sister", implying that she is the youngest of the Original family, with the exception of Henrik who died long ago.
- Out of all the Originals, Rebekah can be considered the most stubborn and ill-tempered.
- During the second season, an old and powerful vampire (possibly one of the Originals) named Adrienne was set to appear, but in the end, the character was removed and instead Rebekah appeared in season three.
- Like Elijah, Rebekah appears in all but three episodes between her first and last appearance of her debut season.
- Rebekah has been neutralized seven times:
- By Alexander in 1114, in The Five.
- By Niklaus Mikaelson in the 1920s, in The End Of The Affair.
- By Elena Gilbert, in Homecoming.
- By Niklaus Mikaelson, in The New Deal.
- By Alaric Saltzman (via Kol Mikaelson), in All My Children.
- By Alaric Saltzman, in Do Not Go Gentle.
- By Niklaus Mikaelson, in The Five.
- She has been neutralized the most times out of her siblings. Finn has been neutralized twice, Kol three times and Elijah six times.
- Rebekah is the only non main character so far who appeared in 15 consecutive episodes (from O Come, All Ye Faithful to Graduation).
- Rebekah is the first Original to be possessed by a witch (Esther).
- In Do Not Go Gentle, while Esther was possessing her, she got Alaric to neutralize her again, making this the second time she was neutralized and missed a high school dance.
- Rebekah has been with both Salvatore brothers, Stefan in 1920s and Damon in 2010.
- Rebekah has missed all of the high school dances so far even though she really wanted to go to them.
- Rebekah technically killed Elena Gilbert in The Departed.
- Rebekah has met every main character, except Vicki and Jenna with Vicki and Jenna both being already killed before she first appeared.
- Rebekah was involved with a vampire hunter named Alexander centuries ago and this relationship was seen in Season 4.
- Rebekah's name was originally "Bex," but it was changed to Rebekah, just like Meredith's name was originally "Mary."
- Rebekah is known to be called by nicknames. Some of those include:
- Out of all her siblings, Klaus is the only one shown to be protective of her, but after Rebekah angrily destroys the last of Elena's human blood, Klaus disowns her as his sister and family member and snaps her neck.
- Rebekah is one of three girls who have sex with both Salvatore brothers; Stefan and Damon, first being Katherine, third being Elena. But she's the only one who wasn't a Doppelgänger.
- April Young is Rebekah's first friend in the series. Her other friends include Matt Donovan and Elena Gilbert.
- Rebekah is one of four recurring characters who appear in more that 20 episodes. The other two are Elizabeth Forbes, Elijah Mikaelson and Carol Lockwood.
- Rebekah wants to be human again.
- Like her brother Finn, she hates being a vampire.
- She is the only original who wanted to take the cure.
- Rebekah is indirectly responsible for the death of Galen Vaughn.
- She admitted to Stefan that she wants to have children one day with someone who loves her enough to stand outside her window with a boombox.
- Both Esther and Silas have taken the form of Rebekah.
- In the 12th century, Rebekah spoke fluent Italian.
- Rebekah is a no holds barred Alpha Bitch !
- Like Klaus, she is proof that Blonds are Evil : she is aggressive, spiteful and vindictive.
- She is a Femme Fatale : beautiful, free spirited and manipulative.
- I hate you, Vampire Dad - With good reason: it was her own biological father who turned her into a Vampire... then decided it was an evil he had to eliminate from the surface of Earth.
- Despite her youthful appearance, she is really 1000 years old .
- Her own mother, Esther, possessed her body in Season 3.
- Suffers from Chronicle Backstabbing Disorder - on the receiving end. Both metaphorically and literally.
- Although she looks like the Dumb Blond, she actually has Hidden Depths . Although externally she is an Alpha Bitch , she is deeply hurt by being betrayed so many times. Deep down she just wants to be a normal girl and go to a dance without being stabbed in the back or poisoned.
- With all that has happened to her, it turns out she has a very good reason to destroy EVERYTHING !
- To save herself, her brothers and the entire vampire race, she did what she had to do , and killed Elena.
- A Day in the Limelight - frequent flashbacks that focus on her history and her family's.
- And I Must Scream - Shared with family. When an Original is daggered, it leads to immediate desiccation. Also when the daggers are removed, the awakening is rather painful as well.