Throughout The Series
Klaus and Stefan traveled through Tennessee to find Ray. They found two of his human friends, an unnamed blond and her friend Keisha, both of whom Klaus coaxed the information out of before he had Stefan brutally and viciously murder them.
They later arrive at Southern Comfort, a bar where Ray is found drinking. At first, Ray refuses to help them, but Stefan decides to play a game of "Truth or Wolfsbane" in order to get him to talk, and since Stefan compelled everyone at the bar, Ray can call to no one for help.
Stefan tortures Ray by using him as a dart board and dipping the darts into wolfsbane. He later leaves him to Klaus to take care of his brother Damon. In his absence, Ray finally reveals to Klaus the information he wants: the location to the other werewolves. Klaus feeds Ray his blood and kills him to turn him into a hybrid.
Ray begins to feel pain and blood pours out of his eyes. Frightened, he tells a confused Klaus that he was getting worse, not better, as Klaus had promised him "It would feel better". Ray soon became rabid and fled the site. Stefan tried to stop him and was bitten. Klaus was only willing to give Stefan the cure to the fatal bite if he retrieved Ray.
Stefan, while searching for Ray, discovered that Damon, Elena, and Alaric were in the woods looking for him. Ray came across the group, saw Damon, and said "Vampire" before attacking. Attempting to bite Damon's throat, Ray was shot in the back with a wooden crossbow by Alaric, but unaffected. He grew closer to biting Damon until Elena threw Damon a Wolfsbane grenade. After being severely burned with Wolfsbane, Damon tied Ray up to a tree with ropes stained with Wolfsbane and Vervain. Once Ray woke up he started to agonizingly turn to his wolf form against his will. Damon had to fight him in order to let Elena and Alaric escape. Ray almost overcame Damon, but Stefan arrived just in time and ripped Ray's heart out.
- Julie Plec revealed that the casting of Gallagher is equally cool. He has a history with the show. He would actually read for the pilot. “There was debate as to whether I was a Stefan or I was a Damon. I had read for both,” he says. “I think ultimately, it was sorta difficult to place me because lately in my career, I’ve been leaning toward things with a little bit darker sensibility, he'd guested as confirmed or suspected killers on Numb3rs, CSI: Miami, Saving Grace, and Without a Trace, and that clashed with the work people knew me for at the time.”
- Apparently, Ray had a natural dislike/hatred of vampires, as he attacked Damon without any provocation.
- Ray is the first hybrid sired by Klaus.
- He is the first hybrid to appear besides Klaus. He is also the first hybrid to die in the series.
- He is the first hybrid to show his wolf form.