|“||Everything I ever said and did was just to bring back my family.||”|
Atticus Shane was a professor at Whitmore College, the same college where Jenna was enrolled as a graduate student. He knows "A thing or two" about the paranormal and works quite closely with Bonnie. His first appearance was in The Five. Atticus was also a believer in the occult who had a history with Bonnie Bennett and the Bennett Family. He was an antagonist in Season Four.
Atticus was a member of the Shane Family.
HistoryAtticus Shane had a wife, Caitlin who was also a witch. They had a son named Sam. When Sam died in a tragic accident a grief stricken Caitlin used Expression magic to try to revive him but instead it backfired and killed her. This left Shane alone and desperate to find a way to reclaim his dead family.
In 2009, Shane arrived on the Island in search of the well which can apparently let you see the dead. By spilling some of his blood Shane was able to see Caitlin. She then told him about Silas and that raising him would result in her and their son's revival. She then explained what he must do in order to free Silas and this is what led to all of his current actions and is his ultimate goal.
Shane was an enthusiastic academic who has traveled the world pursuing his interest in the occult. He used his unassuming, charismatic facade to his advantage when smooth-talking those who are vulnerable to manipulation, and even proves adept at deflecting unwanted attention from those that suspect him of his true motives. Despite the horrible massacres he had orchestrated, Shane's motivation stems from a profound devastation about losing his son and wife, something any one of the other characters could relate to. Still, his inability to toe the line between grief and madness had not earned him much sympathy.
Atticus was of medium height and build. He had curly dark-brown hair and greenish eyes. He had an engaging demeanor and overall attractive appearance, though he can quickly be overcome by a manic, obsessive look the closer he gets to his goal. While physically fit, he would probably not win in a physical fight, even with another human; he has demonstrated he prefers using his mind rather than his body to accomplish what he needs to.
Caitlin was Atticus' wife who died while performing an Expression spell trying to resurrect their dead son. She appeared as a hallucination to him in the cave where Silas' tomb is located, though he wanted so much to believe it was really her that he was unable to recognize that Silas was creating her appearance to manipulate him.
- Main article: Bonnie and Atticus
Shane's relationship with Bonnie was first shown in The Five, where they first are seen interacting at Whitmore College. In the next episode, Shane helps Bonnie get past her fear and guilt. It is also revealed in that episode that Bonnie is important to Shane's plans and he needs her out of harm's way. In another episode, Shane tells Bonnie that when her friend completes his hunters' mark, he'll want to tell her, since he's the only one that can help.
Connor was a hunter and member of The Brotherhood of the Five who was working for Shane. It is unknown how Shane found Connor; the earliest known point in their relationship is that Connor had agreed to work with Shane as his Hunter's Mark grew, in exchange for information about the mark and, presumably, his purpose in the whole matter. Shane had sent him to Mystic Falls because of the large number of vampires living and passing through there, which should have helped him to grow the mark quickly, but he was killed by Elena Gilbert before he could complete it.
They were both seen together during My Brother's Keeper at the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, talking to each other while Damon Salvatore and Tyler Lockwood were looking at them from a distance. After Tyler text Hayley, telling her that Kimberly was successful in breaking Klaus' sire bond, she was seen in Shane's office telling him about the news. After hearing the news, Shane commented that their goals is almost at its end meaning that the two are currently working together on a plan without anyone noticing.
- Main article: Damon and Atticus
Damon and Atticus first met in The Five, but first spoke to each other in We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes to learn more about the Hunters' Mark. Damon had later found out that Shane had ties to Pastor Young, who previously died in an explosion at his farm, taking eleven other people with him as well, which Damon had accused him of orchestrating twice. Damon has be shown that he doesn't trust Shane, who he calls, "Professor Shady Pants." Shane even expected Damon to kill him once they had found the Cure.
- Main article: Kol and Shane
The Original, Kol, abducted and tortured Shane, and it was from him that he learned of the plan to awaken Silas, a plan Kol would stop at nothing to bring to an end.
Professor Shane taught a theology seminar at Whitmore College. Shane then convinced him to kill himself and the council members believing it was for the greater good.
The purpose of Atticus Shane was to raise the first immortal, his plan included :
- Witches - Shane helps restore Bonnie's powers and he is teaching her Expression magic.
- Sacrifices - Shane used human and hybrids as sacrifices so Bonnie can channel their souls for Expression magic.
- Werewolf and Hybrids - Hayley is helping Shane to break the sire bond of Klaus' hybrids, however, recently been mentioned which are twelve hybrids, the same number required for the Expression spell.
- Hunters - Shane sends Connor, a member of The Brotherhood of the Five to kill vampires in Mystic Falls, but apparently, the intention was to complete the Hunter's mark. He had replaced Conner with Jeremy.
- Resurrection - Shane planned to bring his family back.
- Free Silas - Shane wanted to free Silas so that he could resurrect his family and Hayley's parents as he promised her.
- The Five
- The Killer
- We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes
- My Brother’s Keeper
- We'll Always Have Bourbon Street
- O Come, All Ye Faithful
- After School Special
- Catch Me If You Can
- Into the Wild
- Down the Rabbit Hole
- Stand By Me
- Shane: "Shouldn't you be in Mystic Falls killing vampires?"
- Connor: "Why the hell did you send me there?"
- Connor: "You have any idea what I've been through? Spent the last two days chained up by an original vampire"
- Shane: "So you met Klaus? Only know him by reputation, apparently he's a real monster."
- Connor: "He's a vampire-werewolf-hybrid. Do you know how hard it is to kill them?"
- Shane: "From what I gather you have to remove their head or their heart. That is according to lore. I'm just speculating."
- Connor: "I had to figure how to do it on my own. (....bla bla) providing answers."
- Shane: "We had a deal. I'll give you answers about your hunters mark when it's growing to completion."
- Connor: "In other words, kill as many vampires as possible."
- Shane: "Come on Connor why do you think I sent you to Mystic Falls. ...Listen there's a witch, mixed up in all this...She's important to what I have planned. I want her to be kept out of harm's way."
- Connor: "Anybody that get's in my way. Anybody. They're dead."
- Shane: "Okay...Sure I'll occupy her myself. Just do what you do."
- Bonnie: "I can't believe you wrote a book!"
- Shane: "I did. I wrote three books, actually. Two of them just, too mortifying to display."
- Bonnie: "Oh, I'm finding them online."
- Shane: "No! No you're not, hey come on you promised, remember. No cell phones and no internet during witch therapy! Here this is yours...right now I want you to focus. And I want your undivided attention."
- Bonnie: "You really think you can help me start practicing magic again."
- Shane: "Absolutely I can. I invited you here because I can. You know what right now just relax, drink your tea. I got this in Australia when I was backpacking with these Aborigines spirit guys. Trust me its better when you smoke it but I'm trying to be a role model. Bonnie, listen the thing is what I have in mind might come off as a little unorthodox."
- Bonnie: "Now I'm officially curious."
- Shane: "Good. What do you know about hypnosis?"
- Bonnie: "Really think that will work?"
- Shane: "You practice witchcraft and don't believe in hypnotism. Bonnie listen you are afraid to practice magic because those witch spirit's convinced you,...they threatened your grams and they made you feel guilty you just have to confront that fear and that guilt and remove it."
- Bonnie: "Maybe, but I don't think hypnosis will work. Witches are naturally immune to any sort of manipulation."
- Shane: "Really, well let me ask you something. Would you like to put that earring back on?"
- Shane: "You're looking at what people believe to be the world's first tombstone. A witch so powerful, in fact Silas... That was his name... Created a spell that would grant him... Immortality. Now the legend says that Silas did the spell with the help of a lady witch who loved him, a woman named Qetsiyah. Sadly for Qetsiyah, Silas wanted to give immortality to another woman. So Qetsiyah killed her and buried Silas alive, leaving him powerless, immortal, and alone. Now it's said that Silas wants to rise again, regain his power, wreak havoc on the world....Maybe we should be afraid...Or maybe it's all bunch of crap and this is an old rock.... Alright listen...Enjoying exploring the exhibits. I'll be here to answer any questions. Thank you for coming."
- Shane: "Hey, you made it."
- Bonnie: "Nice cautionary tale. Qetsiyah sounds like a bad-ass."
- Shane: "Nothing compared to Silas."
- Shane: "Excuse me. I'm a little lost. I'm here to interview contestants."
- Elena: "You are Professor Shane."
- Shane: "Yeah! That's right. Professor by day. Pageant judge by other day. In spite of being absurdly unqualified, I am apparently awarding an scholarship."
- Caroline: "Inside by the parlor."
- Shane: "Right here?"
- Caroline: "Ah hmm.."
- Shane: "Alright. I'll just follow the scent of hairspray and world domination."
- Shane: "Damon Salvatore. Looks like we travel in the same circuit."
- Damon: "Professor Shane. Just the guy I wanted to see."
- Atticus is of Latin origin, and the meaning is "from Athens".
- Shane is an Anglicized version of the Irish name Seán, which is Irish for John and is pronounced as "Shayn", and means "God is gracious".
- Shane is the first main human antagonist that has lasted over a story arc and not been enhanced or controlled through magic.
- He knows about the vampire hunter group The Five somehow, as he sent a member of the hunter group to Mystic Falls. He even knows how to break the Hunter's Curse.
- Atticus Shane has similarities with Ethan Crane from the novels.
- In My Brother's Keeper, Hayley estimates that Shane is about 30 years old.
- He works with Hayley, and before with Connor, and possibly with Pastor Young.
- Shane is the 4th character to appear in more than 10 episodes during its inaugural season, the other 3 are Anna with 11 episodes in Season One, Elijah Mikaelson with 12 episodes in Season Two and Rebekah Mikaelson with 17 episodes in Season Three.
- He admitted to Rebekah and Kol that he organized the death of the Founder's Council and Klaus' hybrids.
- He is the classic example of an Anti-Villain, one who has beneficial goals but goes about getting them in morally ambiguous ways.
- Shane is one of 2 humans (Bill Forbes was the first) who has learned how to resist vampire compulsion.
- It is likely that he was a member of The Cult of Silas.
- Though not a witch, he was able to teach Bonnie how to use Expression magic and knows a lot about it thanks to his wife, who was a witch and practitioner of Expression.
- Rebekah was the last person who saw Shane alive.
- Shane has never met Tyler or Klaus.