[Elena and Stefan are in Elena's bed. Stefan is sleeping. Elena lies next to him and watches him sleep.]
- Stefan: You're staring.
- Elena: I'm gazing.
- Stefan: It's creepy.
- Elena: It's romantic.
[He opens his eyes and glances at her. He proceeds to put a pillow over his face so she can't stare at him anymore.]
- Elena: (laughs) Hey!
[Elena removes it. Stefan rolls on top of her and kisses her with passion.]
- Elena: Oh, this is bad of us.
- Stefan: Yes, it is.
[Stefan starts to kiss Elena's neck.]
- Elena: If Katherine finds out...
[Stefan stops kissing her neck.]
- Stefan: Katherine who?
[He smiles and kisses her on the lips. Elena smiles too as she kisses him back.]
[Mason rolls Katherine over on the bed. His hands explore her body and he starts to kiss down her neck and chest. Katherine giggles.]
- Katherine: Shhh.
[Mason stops kissing her stomach and looks at her. Katherine places her finger to his lips.]
- Katherine: Ms. Flowers will think I'm a floozy if I have a man in here.
- Mason: Why are you staying here?
- Katherine: Because I like this little bed and breakfast, don't you?
- Mason: I love it.
[Katherine rolls on top of him and they kiss passionately.]
[Elena rolls herself on top of Stefan and they continue to kiss. Elena pulls away.]
- Elena: Okay, I, um, I need to be in the shower.
- Stefan: Love it, let's go!
- Elena: No, just me. I'm late. I'm decorating at the Lockwood charity thing.
- Stefan: Well, what do you know. So am I.
- Elena: You think that's really a good idea to be at their house today? Mason Lockwood tried to kill you.
[Katherine pushes Mason down on the bed and kisses his chest. Mason laughs. Katherine stops kissing him and looks down at him.]
- Katherine: Where is the moonstone?
- Mason: Somewhere safe.
- Katherine: Don't you trust me?
- Mason: I don't trust anyone.
- Stefan: I don't trust Mason. I want to be there today to keep an eye on him.
- Elena: Okay.
[She picks up a needle from her end table and sits up.]
- Elena: But then we can't touch or talk and no lingering stares.
- Stefan: No, none of that.
[Stefan rubs his hand up and down Elena's arm.]
- Elena: What do you think will happen if Katherine finds out that we were fake fighting?
- Katherine: You scared I'm gonna kill you?
- Mason: No, you won't.
[She kisses his lips. She pushes his chin up and starts to kiss his neck. She bites his neck.]
- Mason: Ow! Kath, easy!
[Katherine looks at him.]
- Katherine: Did I hurt you? Sorry.
[Elena pricks her fingertip with the point of the needle.]
- Elena: Ow.
- Stefan: Did it hurt?
- Elena: It's okay. A little bit every day to make you stronger, right?
[He takes her finger and drinks her blood.]
[Katherine licks the blood off of Mason's neck.]
- Mason: What happens once I give you the moonstone?
- Katherine: We'll live happily ever after. I promise.
- Mason: I'll bring it tonight, I promise.
- Stefan: I promise you, we're gonna get through this.
- Elena: I love you, Stefan.
- Katherine: You know I love you.
- Mason: I love you too.
[Elena kisses Stefan passionately.]
[Mason and Katherine kiss.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon hears someone knocking on the door, and he answers it. It's Jeremy.]
- Jeremy: I need to talk to you.
- Damon: And why do I need to talk to you?
[Damon tries to close the door on him. Jeremy pushes it back open.]
- Jeremy: Tyler Lockwood has to kill someone to activate his curse. He's not a werewolf yet.
- Damon: Wow, fascinating. Not enough.
[Damon attempts to close the door again, but Jeremy pushes back.]
- Jeremy: But Mason Lockwood is and he's looking for a moonstone, a special rock connected to the werewolf legend. That's why he's here.
- Damon: A moonstone?
- Jeremy: And I know where it is.
- Damon: And you're bringing me this why?
- Jeremy: Do I need a reason? Look, I just want to help, okay?
- Damon: What's your sister say about this little discovery?
[Jeremy doesn't answer.]
- Damon: Oh, you haven't told her, have you?
- Jeremy: Well, Elena doesn't want me getting involved in all this.
[Jeremy tries to walk into the house. Damon pushes him out.]
- Damon: And you're a Gilbert and you just can't help yourself. Wow. Your search for life's purpose is as obvious as it is tragic.
- Jeremy: You going to let me in or not?
[Damon steps aside. Jeremy walks in and Damon closes the door.]
[There are people everyone helping to set up for the Masquerade Ball. Inside, Jenna and Carol are talking.]
- Carol: Jenna, thanks for helping wrangle the volunteers.
- Jenna: Of course, it's for a good cause. Plus, I have always been a sucker for the Masquerade Ball.
- Carol: So was Richard. This was always his favorite party of the year.
[Matt and Tyler carry a table into the room and almost drop it.]
- Matt: Wait, wait, wait, Tyler!
[Carol looks over at them.]
- Carol: Boys! Be careful with that! It's from the 1800s. (To Jenna) Excuse me. Tyler!
- Tyler: Mom, we got it.
[Tyler and Matt continue to carefully move the table. Carol walks over to them. Jenna walks into another room and sees Stefan.]
- Jenna: Stefan, hey!
- Stefan: Hey.
- Jenna: I'm cooking dinner tonight. Ric will be there, you should come.
- Stefan: You know, Elena and I, we're kind of taking a - a pause.
- Jenna: Really?
- Stefan: Yeah.
- Jenna: Because that's not what it sounded like this morning.
[Stefan tries to muster a face of confusion, but fails to fool her.]
- Jenna: Light sleeper. You know what? I heard nothing.
[She smiles and leaves.]
[Bonnie is outside, carrying a box. Elena sees her and walks over to her.]
- Elena: You're here.
- Bonnie: I'm here.
[Elena takes some candles out of the box Bonnie us carrying. Bonnie glances around the yard.]
- Elena: Caroline's not coming. I told you.
- Bonnie: Just making sure.
- Elena: You know, eventually, you're gonna have to talk to her.
- Bonnie: Could you make it a little less obvious you're on her side?
- Elena: There are no sides, Bonnie.
- Bonnie: Come on! Since Caroline became a vampire, we barely see each other. Losing Caroline was bad enough; I didn't think I'd lose you too.
- Elena: Come with me.
- Bonnie: Where?
- Elena: Not here. Some place quiet. We have to talk.
[She holds her hand out. Bonnie takes it and they walk away.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Liz is lying on her cot in the Salvatore basement. Caroline comes in. Liz sits up. Caroline walks over to her and looks down at her tray of food.]
- Caroline: You didn't eat much. (Awkward silence) Good news: Doctor Damon said the vervain is almost out of your system. So with any luck, you'll be freshly compelled and back in your own bed by tonight.
[Liz doesn't answer or look at Caroline.]
- Caroline: Are you really just gonna pretend like I don't exist?
- Sheriff Forbes: Yes. So please, go.
- Caroline: (takes the tray and starts to walk away.) As usual, you don't care. Got it. Just like before I was a vampire. It's not like I died or anything.
[Caroline opens the door and is about to walk out.]
- Sheriff Forbes: Are you...Are you really dead?
- Caroline: Yes and no.
- Sheriff Forbes: How is it possible?
[Caroline walks back into the room and shuts the door.]
[Back upstairs, Alaric arrives with a box of Isobel's research.]
- Damon: Ric!
[Alaric sees Jeremy.]
- Alaric: What are you doing here?
- Jeremy: Helping Damon. I'm the one who found out about the moonstone.
[Alaric looks at Damon. Damon shrugs. He looks back at Jeremy.]
- Alaric: Does Elena know you're here?
- Jeremy: Not exactly.
- Damon: What you got?
[Damon starts to dig through the box and takes out a book.]
- Alaric: This is Isobel research's from Duke. Her assistant sent it to me.
- Damon: Mmm, Vanessa. The hottie.
[Alaric takes the book out of Damon's hands.]
- Alaric: Vanessa, yes. Now, do you remember the old Aztec curse she told us about?
- Damon: Sun and the moon, blah blah blah blah blah.
[Jeremy walks over to them.]
- Jeremy: An Aztec curse? Cool.
- Alaric: Yeah, supposedly vampires and werewolves used to roam freely until a shaman put a curse on them to limit their power. Since then, werewolves can only turn on a full moon and vampires are weakened by the sun.
[Damon wiggles his fingers, showing his daylight ring.]
- Damon: Most of them, anyway.
- Alaric: According to the legend, the werewolf part of the curse is sealed with the moonstone.
[Alaric shows him a map. Jeremy takes it and looks at it. It has pictures showing the story of the Sun and the Moon curse.]
- Jeremy: What do you mean sealed?
- Damon: It's a witch thing, whatever seals the curse is usually the key to unsealing the curse.
- Alaric: Maybe Mason Lockwood believes he can use the moonstone to break the curse.
- Damon: If we start believing in some supernatural witchy-woo legend from a picture book, we're idiots. Who has the stone now?
- Jeremy: Tyler.
- Damon: Can you get it?
- Jeremy: Yeah.
- Damon: See, now your life has purpose.
- Jeremy: So, you do believe it?
- Damon: It's the same book that says a werewolf bite kills a vampire. Ignoring it would make me an even bigger idiot. Let's go.
[Damon finishes his drink and walks past Alaric and Jeremy.]
[Elena and Bonnie are walking across the yard.]
- Bonnie: I can't believe this.
- Elena: It's a lot, I know. Katherine's doing everything that she can to drive me and Stefan apart and Caroline just got trapped in the middle.
[They both sit down on a bench.]
- Bonnie: It's not that you and Stefan are pretending to fight. It's that I didn't even know you guys were fighting at all.
- Elena: I'm sorry, I don't want to keep things from you but you've made it pretty clear where you stand with the whole vampire thing.
- Bonnie: So that makes me the odd man out.
- Elena: No - no, Bonnie, of course not.
- Bonnie: I know where I stand, Elena. And I know where you stand. But where do we stand?
- Elena: You're my best friend, Bonnie. I didn't mean to let this craziness with Caroline get in the way of that. But, she needs you too.
- Bonnie: Not yet, I just...she's a vampire, I can't. I think we should get back.
[Bonnie gets up and leaves. Elena sighs.]
[Mason is carrying a box. He sees Stefan, helping set up for the ball.]
- Mason: Hey, Stefan.
- Stefan: Hey, Mason.
[Mason places the box down on a table. He is shocked to see Stefan alive.]
- Mason: Wasn't expecting you here. Or anywhere.
- Stefan: Yeah, I had this little accident. But I'm fine now.
- Mason: What did you do to Sheriff Forbes?
- Stefan: Oh, she's fine too, but from now on, you'll have to do your own dirty work.
- Mason: Not a problem.
[He walks away and accidentally runs into Bonnie.]
- Mason: Excuse me.
[Bonnie continues to watch Mason as he looks away. A strange look spreads across her face, which Stefan notices. Stefan walks over to her.]
- Stefan: What's the matter? Are you okay?
- Bonnie: When I touched him, I saw something.
- Stefan: What do you mean? Like a vision?
- Bonnie: I saw Elena.
- Stefan: You saw Elena?
- Bonnie: He was kissing her.
- Stefan: No, Bonnie, Elena wouldn't kiss...(Stefan considers this for a minute, and his face changes from confused to understanding.) You didn't see Elena, you saw...Katherine.
[Elena is sorting out masks. She sees Stefan and Bonnie talking. Damon walks over to her.]
- Elena: Damon, what are you doing here?
- Damon: Looking for my baby bro. Speaking of, would you tell yours to stop following me around?
- Elena: What's going on?
- Damon: Ask eager beaver.
[Damon walks away as Jeremy arrives.]
- Elena: Jeremy, what is he making you do?
- Jeremy: He's not making me do anything, Damon and I...
- Elena: Uh, no. No way. No, no, no, no. There is no "Damon and you". There's Damon and whoever Damon is using, and those people, they end up dead. Whatever is going on Jeremy, I want you to stay out of it.
- Jeremy: I don't really care what you want, Elena. It's because of you that I'm in this mess in the first place, so I'm sorry, but you really don't get to tell me what I'm gonna do.
[Stefan is talking with Damon.]
- Damon: Katherine's with Mason Lockwood?
- Stefan: We missed it. He got into town right after she did. It makes perfect sense.
- Damon: I know, but Mason Lockwood?! Werewolf thing aside, the guy is a surfer. She's got to be using him. She has to be.
- Stefan: Using him for what?
- Damon: Mason Lockwood's looking for a moonstone that allegedly can break the full moon werewolf curse. Maybe Katherine wants it as well.
- Stefan: Why?
- Damon: Well...no idea. That's the beauty of Katherine; she's always up to something.
- Stefan: So, how are we gonna find this moonstone?
- Damon: Jeremy is getting it from Tyler.
- Stefan: Why would you involve Jeremy?
[Stefan walks past Damon and slaps him on the arm. He continues to walk away.]
- Damon: He's playing Indiana Jones. He involved himself.
[Stefan looks back at him and shakes his head. Damon scoffs.]
[Matt is hanging up lanterns, outside. Tyler is standing next to him, holding the ladder.]
- Matt: She's this amazing girl one minute and then this raging, jealous freak the next.
- Tyler: Look, you know what I think of Caroline Forbes. She's an insecure, neurotic, bitchy little twit.
- Matt: Hey!
- Tyler: But the girl's got heart. She means well. You just gotta take the good with the bad sometimes.
- Matt: Yeah. I'm gonna go get an extension cord. I'll be right back.
[He leaves. Jeremy walks over to Tyler.]
- Jeremy: Hey man.
- Tyler: Hey!
- Jeremy: Hey, so I did a little research on that stone you showed me.
- Tyler: What? Why?
- Jeremy: I don't know. Curiosity, boredom.
- Tyler: What did it say?
- Jeremy: Well, it turns out that it's part of this Aztec legend but I want to make sure it's the same kind of stone. You think I could check it out again?
- Tyler: Nope. I gave it to my uncle.
- Jeremy: Why did you do that?
- Tyler: Because I'm done with legends and curses. I don't want anything to do with it, okay?
- Jeremy: Yeah, yeah sure. It's probably...Just, uh, stupid folklore anyways. Forget it.
[Stefan and Damon have been listening to the entire conversation. They look at each other. Damon is pissed, but Stefan just shrugs it off. They walk away.]
[Elena walks down the stone steps at the Lockwood Manor. She sits down as she continues to text Stefan.]
- Elena (texting): Everything OK?
- Stefan (texting): With Damon and Bonnie. Fill you in later.
[Stefan is walking behind Damon, who has Bonnie's arm in his grasp.]
- Bonnie: Okay. This is as far as I go.
[They stop. Damon lets go of her.]
- Damon: Okay.
- Bonnie: What do you want?
- Damon: A favor.
- Bonnie: Like that's gonna happen.
- Damon: So predictable.
[He looks at Stefan.]
- Damon: That's why I brought him.
[Meanwhile, Elena receives Stefan's text.]
- Elena (texting): Damon and Bonnie? Fill me in now.
[She waits for him to text her back.]
- Stefan: I know how you feel about helping us out, but since you're the one that linked Mason with Katherine, we finally have an opportunity to get an upper hand on both of them so, just hear us out.
- Damon: Pretty please.
[Elena looks at her phone. She still hasn't received a text. She grows impatient and ends up calling Stefan.]
- Bonnie: I'm listening.
[Stefan's phone starts to ring.]
- Stefan: I have to fill Elena in on what's going on.
[He looks at Damon.]
- Stefan: Can you play nice, please?
- Damon: I guess.
[He walks aside and answers his phone.]
- Stefan: Hey, what are you doing? You shouldn't be calling me.
- Elena: I know, but I have no idea what's happening. Damon's got Jeremy into something and you've got Bonnie with you and I'm sorting stupid masquerade masks for Mrs Lockwood.
- Stefan: Alright, it's okay. Hold on.
[He walks away. Damon is talking to Bonnie.]
- Damon: All you have to do is touch Mason Lockwood again to see if he gave Katherine the moonstone.
- Bonnie: My visions don't work like that. I don't get to ask questions.
- Damon: How inconvenient. Although, let's talk about that little witchy juju thing you do with me. You know, the fun one where my brain bursts into flames? What is that?
- Bonnie: That's me giving you an aneurysm. Your blood vessels go pop, but you heal quickly; so, I do it over and over again.
- Damon: Is it vampire specific?
- Bonnie: It'd work on anyone with a supernatural healing ability.
- Damon: Good. Good, good.
- Bonnie: Damon, I'm not gonna help you hurt him.
- Damon: Mason Lockwood's a werewolf, Katherine's evil. They're the bad guys. Really? You're gonna play morality police with me right now? Let me put it to you another way: they're a threat to Elena. So you, witch, are gonna get over yourself and help us.
[Stefan walks back over to them.]
- Stefan: Yeah, he meant that as a question with a "please" on the end.
- Damon: Absolutely.
[Mason walks down the front steps and towards his jeep.]
- Mason: Hey, can you move your van? I'm blocked in.
[He sees Bonnie trying to remove a table from the back of the truck and runs over to help her.]
- Mason: Hey, how did you get stuck doing that by yourself?
- Bonnie: All the guys bailed. Something about draft picks. I don't know, I don't speak that language.
- Mason: Here, let me give you a hand.
[He grabs the table and starts to pull it out. Bonnie looks around and then at Mason. She uses her aneurysm spell on him. He grabs his head and yells in pain and falls down onto his knees.]
- Bonnie: I'm sorry.
[Damon walks past Bonnie and knees Mason in the face. Mason falls to the ground, unconscious. Damon opens the passenger door and signals for Bonnie to get in. Stefan takes Mason's keys out of his pockets and throws them to Damon. Bonnie gets in Mason's jeep. Damon and Stefan put Mason in the trunk of the jeep. Damon gets in and drives off with Bonnie in the passenger seat.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Caroline is in the basement cell, talking with her mother.]
- Caroline: So, I mainly drink from blood bags. It's not as good as the fresh stuff but it beats the animal blood that Stefan's been trying to get me to drink.
- Sheriff Forbes: So, you steal the blood from the hospital?
- Caroline: Damon does. I've been pilfering his supply, so...
- Sheriff Forbes: And as long as you have blood, you don't need to kill?
- Caroline: I want to. It's my basic nature now. But, on a healthy diet, I can control it. I'm getting better at it. I'm better than Stefan. He's a bit of a problem drinker. A blood-aholic.
- Sheriff Forbes: I don't want this for you.
- Caroline: I know. But when life gives you lemons...
[She giggles weakly and hears Damon enter the house.]
- Caroline: Damon's home.
- Sheriff Forbes: You could hear that?
[Damon is carrying Mason over his shoulder. Bonnie drops his bag in a chair. Damon places Mason into a chair.]
- Bonnie: Here's his bag. As requested.
- Damon: Okay, grab that corner.
- Bonnie: Why are we doing this?
- Damon: Because I don't want to stain the carpet.
- Bonnie: I knew you were gonna say something like that.
- Damon: Judging again.
[They pull a blanket over the rug. Damon walks over to Mason's bag.]
- Bonnie: He's not gonna be out much longer.
[Damon takes chains from Mason's bag.]
- Damon: Whoa. Looks like this guy's used to being tied up.
[Bonnie takes Mason's head in her hands.]
- Damon: What are you doing?
- Bonnie: You're looking for a moonstone. I'm trying to help you find it.
- Damon: Oh, good, yeah. Find out if he gave it to Katherine, and find out where she is. And find out what they're gonna do with it once they get it.
[Damon is tying Mason down into the chair. Bonnie closes her eyes and concentrates while she touches Mason's head.]
- Bonnie: Somewhere small. dark. There's water.
- Damon: Like a sewer?
- Bonnie: No. Like a well? That can't be right. Yeah. It's a well.
- Damon: Why would it be in a well?
[Bonnie lowers her hands and opens her eyes.]
- Bonnie: I told you, I only get what I get.
[Mason grunts and grabs Bonnie by the wrist. She gasps. Damon pulls Mason's hand off of her and Bonnie starts to walk away.]
- Bonnie: That's it. That's all I got.
- Damon: Hey, judgey!
[Bonnie turns around and looks at him.]
- Damon: Thank you.
[She walks out of the room, leaving Damon alone with Mason.]
- Damon: Come on. Wake up, wolf boy.
[He punches him in the face.]
[Bonnie is quickly walking to the front door. Caroline comes up from the basement.]
- Caroline: Hey!
[Bonnie stops and looks at her.]
- Bonnie: Hi. How's your mom? Elena filled me in on everything.
- Caroline: I'm gonna take her home tonight.
- Bonnie: Caroline...Uh...Never mind, I've got to go.
[Bonnie starts to leave again.]
- Caroline: Did you find the moonstone thing?
- Bonnie: Not yet. Hey, do you remember that old well where we used to play when we were kids?
- Caroline: Yeah.
- Bonnie: It's in the woods. Do you remember where?
- Caroline: On the edge of the old Lockwood property. Why?
[Bonnie pulls out her phone and texts Stefan.]
- Bonnie: I think that's where Mason is keeping the moonstone. I got to go.
- Caroline: Well, I can come with you.
- Bonnie: No, it's okay.
[She looks at Caroline who is hurt and disappointed.]
- Bonnie: Sure.
- Caroline: Okay.
[Caroline smiles and they walk out of the house together.]
[Matt and Elena are inside the house, sorting through costumes and masks.]
- Matt: So, where's Caroline? This is like her thing. I can't believe she's not here.
- Elena: She had something else to do.
- Matt: Is she seeing someone?
- Elena: Matt, come on. No, she's not.
[Stefan walks in with a box of masks. Elena looks at him. Tyler walks in the room.]
- Tyler: Anyone seen Mason?
- Stefan: He, uh, he took off. He said he wasn't sure when he'd be back.
- Tyler: So weird.
[Tyler walks out of the room. Stefan's phone goes off, he received a text from Bonnie: "Look in well. Old Lockwood property." Stefan looks at Elena. She walks towards him, but Stefan shakes his head and walks away. She sighs and goes back to sorting the costumes with a bit more furiousity. Matt looks at her.]
- Matt: I'm not even gonna ask.
- Elena: I'll be right back.
[She runs out of the house.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Mason is chained down to the chair. Damon is heating up an iron poker in the fireplace. Mason struggles to get out of the chair. Damon looks at him.]
- Damon: Someone's feisty.
[Damon gets up. Mason continues to struggle and thrusts the chair backwards, falling onto the floor. Damon walks over to him.]
- Mason: What?!
[Damon sticks the iron poker into Mason's chest. Mason screams.]
- Damon: You can hurt -- good to know. I was afraid you were gonna be some beast mass with no affinity for pain.
[Damon pulls Mason's collar down and looks at his wound.]
- Damon: Oh, but you heal quickly. Not good. Guess I'll just have to keep applying pain.
[Damon grabs Mason and pulls him back up with the chair. He walks back over to the fireplace and heats up the poker again.]
- Damon: So...Katherine. How do you know her? What is she up to?
[Mason spits on the floor but says nothing.]
- Damon: I have all day.
[He thrusts the white hot iron poker into Mason's stomach. Mason grits his teeth and screams.]
[Stefan walks over to the well and looks down into it. Elena runs up behind him.]
- Elena: What's going on?
- Stefan: You shouldn't be here.
- Elena: I know, but I am. What's going on?
- Stefan: Bonnie thinks the moonstone is down here.
[Stefan pulls the lock off the iron grating. He then takes the grating off the top of the well. He turns on the flashlight. He and Elena look down the well. He sighs and looks at Elena. He jumps onto the edge of the well and Elena hands him the flashlight.]
- Elena: Hey. Be careful.
- Stefan: I'll only be down there for a minute.
[Stefan jumps into the well. Elena holds her breath, but when she hears Stefan safely splash at the bottom she breathes out. Stefan looks down at his arm and sees vapor rising around where the water touched him, his hands and arms burning. He presses himself up against the stone wall and shouts in pain.]
- Stefan: Elena!!!
- Elena: Stefan?!
- Stefan: Elena!!!
- Elena: Stefan, what's happening?!
[Stefan attempts to climb out, but cannot.]
- Elena: What's going on in there?!
- Stefan: Vervain. Oh, God! Help!
- Elena: Stefan!
[Elena jumps off the from the edge of the well and tries to pick up the heavy chain on the ground. She isn't strong enough.]
- Elena: Stefan!
[Caroline rushes over to Elena.]
- Caroline: Elena!
- Elena: Caroline, Stefan's down there and the chain is rusted.
[Caroline starts to climb into the well, but Elena stops her.]
- Elena: No, no, no! You can't, it's filled with vervain. Caroline, we've got to get him out. Now!
[Caroline tries to process and grabs the chain from the ground while Elena climbs on the edge of the well.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon continues to heat the poker in the fire.]
- Damon: When did you two meet? Did she seduce you, tell you she loved you? You're supernatural so she can't compel you. I'm sure she used her other charms. Katherine's good that way.
[Jeremy walks in the room with a box. He sets it down on a table.]
- Damon: I thought I told you to leave.
- Jeremy: I found something in Ric's box of stuff.
- Damon: Ooh. What is it?
[Damon walks over to him. Jeremy takes out a plant.]
- Jeremy: I did a search on my phone. It's a plant. Aconitum Vulparia. It grows in the mountainous areas of the northern hemisphere. Commonly known as aconite, blue rocket, and wolfsbane.
[Damon opens the cloth and looks at the wolfsbane.]
- Damon: What else did you read?
[As he talks, Jeremy shows Damon his phone.]
- Jeremy: Well, every source says something different. One myth says it causes lycanthropy, which sounds bogus. Another one says that it protects people and another one says, well, it's toxic.
[Mason groans. Damon looks over at him.]
- Damon: I'm guessing toxic.
[He takes the plant and goes toward Mason.]
- Damon: What's Katherine doing in Mystic Falls?
[Mason doesn't answer. Damon brushes the end of the wolfsbane across Mason's cheek. It begins to burn and Mason screams. Jeremy looks uncomfortable by this method of torture. Damon pulls the wolfsbane away.]
- Damon: Why is she here?
- Mason: She's here with me. Why do you ask, you jealous?
- Damon: How rude of me. You know, I just realized, I didn't offer you anything to eat.
[Damon shoves the wolfsbane into Mason's mouth. Mason grunts and groans in pain.]
- Damon: Yummy!
[Damon stops. Mason spits up the wolfsbane and coughs.]
[Elena wraps the chain around herself and hooks it against one of the links. She looks at Caroline.]
- Caroline: I got you, okay?
- Elena: (nods) Yeah.
[Bonnie runs up to them.]
- Bonnie: What's going on? You just took off in a blur.
- Caroline: I heard Elena screaming. Help her, now!
[Bonnie grabs Elena's hand and helps lower her into the well.]
- Caroline: Are you ready?
- Elena: Yeah.
[Elena is lowered into the well with the help of Caroline. Caroline slowly reels her down. Caroline loses hold of the chain for a second but grabs it just in time.]
- Caroline: Sorry!
- Elena: It's okay, keep going. Come on!
[Caroline continues to lower Elena down into the well. Elena finds Stefan, he's unconscious. She unhooks the chain from around herself and puts it around Stefan.]
- Elena: Hey! Oh, Oh my God.
- Caroline: Elena, what's going on down there?
- Elena: Pull him up!
[Caroline starts to pull the chain up from the well. Bonnie unties Stefan and, with the help of Caroline, places him on the ground. Elena turns the flashlight on.]
- Caroline: Elena? Ready for you!
- Elena: Hold on! I need to find the stone.
[Elena gropes around the cracks in the well for the stone.]
- Caroline: Hurry!
[Elena continues searching in the vervain-filled water. She finds a wooden box and picks it up.]
- Elena: Hold on! I think I found it!
[Elena grabs the box and a snake inches towards her. It wraps onto her. Elena screams and throws the snake off of her. Another snake has crawled up her arm. She backs up against the wall and pulls the box out its hiding spot. She ties the chain around herself again.]
- Caroline: Elena! What's going on?!
- Elena: I got it. Come on! Bring me up!
[Caroline reels Elena up. In the process Elena leaves the flashlight in the well. Bonnie helps Elena when she finally gets out of the well. Elena looks down at Stefan. She jumps off the well and down to him.]
- Elena: Oh, god! Stefan!
[She cradles his head under her arm. Bonnie and Caroline rush over to her.]
- Elena: Stefan! Stefan.
[Elena sees a rock nearby and grabs it. She cuts her hand with it. Caroline turns away. Elena places her wrist to Stefan's mouth. He opens his eyes and drinks from her.]
- Elena: I've got the stone, Stefan. Stefan, it's gonna be okay, everything's gonna be okay.
Salvatore Boarding House
- Damon: Why do you want the moonstone?
- Mason: Screw you!
- Damon: Ahhh! Wrong answer!
- Jeremy: If he was gonna say anything, he would have already!
- Damon: I'm taking your eyes now.
- Mason: The well! You can find it there.
[Damon threateningly holds the wolfsbane up to Mason.]
- Damon: I know where it is. I want to know what it does and why you want it.
- Mason: I'm getting it for Katherine.
- Damon: Why?
- Mason: She's gonna use it to lift the curse.
- Damon: Of the moon? Now, why would a vampire help a werewolf break a curse that keeps them from turning whenever they want?
- Mason: So I wouldn't have to turn anymore.
- Damon: Why?
- Mason: Because she loves me.
- Damon: Now - now I get it. You're just stupid. Katherine doesn't love you. She's using you, you moron.
- Mason: I'm done talking.
- Damon: Yes, you are.
[Damon hands Jeremy the wolfsbane. Jeremy grabs it.]
- Damon: It's time to take a walk, Jeremy.
- Jeremy: I'm staying.
- Damon: No, you should go.
- Jeremy: I'm staying, Damon. He's had enough.
[Mason looks at Jeremy.]
- Mason: Just help Tyler. Don't let this happen to him.
- Jeremy: Damon...
[Damon superspeeds over to Jeremy and grabs him by the throat.]
- Damon: You wanted to be a part of this? Well, here it is! Kill or be killed! The guy is a werewolf; he'd kill me the first chance he got! So, you suck it up or leave.
[Damon lets go of Jeremy. Jeremy coughs.]
- Damon: He wants me to kill him, anyway. Don't you, Mason? It really is a curse, isn't it?
[Jeremy gets up and leaves.]
- Damon: You know, I look at you I see myself. A less dashing, less intelligent version.
- Mason: I love her!
- Damon: Oh, I know! I've been where you are. But Katherine will only rip your heart out. Let me do it for her.
[Damon thrusts his hand into Mason's chest while looking him in the eyes. Mason groans. Damon removes his heart from his chest. Mason's eyes go lifeless and his head falls down to his chest.]
[Jenna and Alaric are in the kitchen, cooking dinner together. Alaric is chopping up food with a knife.]
- Jenna: You're pretty handy with that thing.
- Alaric: Yeah, well, it's a skill. (laughs) Here.
[Alaric grabs a piece of food and feeds it to Jenna. He kisses her.]
- Alaric: Where's the, um, where's the sea salt?
- Jenna: Table.
[They kiss again. Alaric lays dinner plates down on the table. Elena opens the front door and quietly closes it. Alaric looks at her and mouths "Are you okay?" to her. Elena nods, places her finger to her mouth, points upstairs and walks up the stairs.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Caroline and Liz are sitting on the cot together, still in the cell.]
- Caroline: So I pulled Stefan out of this well and he's all vervained and just rotted, but Bonnie wasn't mean to me once and I just - I really think it's progress, you know? I just...what? I'm freaking you out.
- Sheriff Forbes: It's just that you've become this person...
- Caroline: Don't. Don't. We...We're just starting to get along...
- Sheriff Forbes: This strong, this confident person.
- Caroline: Oh. Thank you.
- Sheriff Forbes: You don't have to take my memories away. I'll keep your secret. Look, if you're worried about them, just say you compelled me. I won't tell. I cannot do anything to hurt you.
- Caroline: We never talk like this. Ever. And today meant so much to me.
- Sheriff Forbes: Me too.
- Caroline: I know.
[Caroline grabs Liz's hands in her own.]
- Caroline: I know I can trust you, but you're never going to trust them.
[She cries and compels her.]
- Caroline: I'm going to take you home. You're going to forget that I'm a vampire.
- Sheriff Forbes: I'm going to forget that you're a vampire.
- Caroline: You'll remember you got sick with the flu. You had a fever, chills and ickiness, but I made you soup and it was really salty. We bickered. You got better and then your selfish little daughter, who loves you no matter what, went right back to ignoring you and all is right in the world.
[Damon rolls up Mason's body in a blanket. Stefan arrives and shows the moonstone to Damon.]
- Damon: All this for that?
- Stefan: Yep.
[Stefan tosses Damon the moonstone.]
- Stefan: I see you've exercised your usual restraint.
- Damon: Had to be done.
[He takes Mason's phone and texts Carol on behalf of Mason.]
- Damon: "Carol, big opportunity in Florida, I'm gonna be gone for a long time. Will send for my things once I get settled. Much love, Mason"
- Stefan: Let's get rid of the body.
- Damon: Oh, last number dialed. I wonder who that could possibly be?
[Damon pushes redial. Stefan tries to stop him.]
- Stefan: No, no, no! Don't provoke her!
[Katherine answers her phone, thinking its Mason calling.]
- Katherine: Mason, you should have been here an hour ago.
[Stefan continues to try to get Damon off the phone, but Damon pushes him back. Stefan slaps his hand and walks away in frustration.]
- Damon: Wrong boy toy.
- Katherine: Damon. For once you've surprised me. I assume Mason is with you?
- Damon: He's right beside me! Although, his heart's across the room.
- Katherine: You shouldn't have.
- Damon: I've had a very busy day today. I killed a werewolf, found a moonstone. Hey, did you know that he hid the moonstone in the bottom of a well full of vervain? I guess he didn't trust you very much. Although, he did love you. Poor guy. Hey, where are you? Because, you know, I could bring him over. Last goodbyes and all that.
- Katherine: You have no idea what you've just done.
- Damon: Aww, did I put a kink in your master plan? I'm so sorry.
- Katherine: Do you honestly believe that I don't have a plan B? And if that fails, a plan C, then a plan D, and...you know how the alphabet works, don't you? Send my love to Stefan.
[She hangs up. Damon looks up at Stefan.]
[Elena walks downstairs and into the kitchen.]
- Elena: Where is Jeremy?
- Alaric: Oh, he went straight up to his room. He said he wasn't hungry.
[Elena helps lay out the plates and looks over at Jenna. Jenna is on the phone with someone.]
- Elena: Who is she talking to?
- Alaric: I don't know. Everything go okay today?
- Elena: There were a few hiccups, but yeah.
- Jenna: (on the phone) Of course, I understand. Elena, it's for you.
[Jenna hands her the phone.]
- Elena: Who is it?
[Jenna shrugs but doesn't say anything. Elena takes the phone and places it to her ear.]
- Elena: Hello?
- Katherine: Hello, Elena.
[Elena looks at Ric. Ric looks questioningly at her. Elena walks out of the room.]
- Elena: Katherine.
- Katherine: Did you enjoy your little rendezvous with Stefan this morning? I will always know, Elena. I will always be one step ahead of you. When are you gonna figure that out? Do you know how easy it was to get inside of your house? To replace Aunt Jenna's vervain perfume, to convince her to stop drinking her special tea?
[Elena looks over at Jenna. Alaric wants to know what's going on, but Elena puts her hand up, gesturing to him to hold on.]
- Elena: No.
- Katherine: Jenna's been my little spy for days now. But unlike you, Jenna actually listens to me. So when I suggested that the world would be a much better place if she were to just...
[Jenna holds a knife into the air. She points it at her stomach. Elena drops the phone.]
- Elena: Jenna, no!
[Jenna stabs herself in the stomach and falls to the floor.]
- Alaric: Jenna! Jenna!
[Alaric and Elena rush over to her.]
- Katherine: Well, you get the idea.
[She hangs up.]
Mystic Falls Hospital
[Elena walks out into the waiting room. Jeremy gets up and walks towards her.]
- Jeremy: Is she okay?
- Elena: The doctors told Alaric that she got lucky. She's gonna make it. She's gonna be okay.
- Jeremy: Does she remember what happened?
- Elena: No, nothing. It's all a part of Katherine's mind compulsion.
- Jeremy: Why would Katherine hurt Jenna?
- Elena: Because she's trying to send a message. That she could get to anybody.
[She starts to cry and turns away.]
- Jeremy: Hey, hey, hey, come here.
[He embraces her.]
- Jeremy: It's gonna be okay.
- Elena: No, it's not.
- Jeremy: She's gonna pay, Elena. I don't know how but she's gonna pay.
[Tyler walks in the house. He sees his mom in the dining room and walks over to her.]
- Tyler: It looks good.
- Carol: Thanks. It was nice to see Matt today. He hasn't been around for a while.
- Tyler: We've both been busy, I guess. Have you seen Mason? The guy's been AWOL all day.
- Carol: Actually Tyler, Mason headed back to Florida.
- Tyler: What?
- Carol: I'm sorry, honey. I know how much you two hit it off.
- Tyler: So he just left?
- Carol: I was hoping he'd stick around...I thought that with your dad gone...anyway, he's gone. So, I guess it's just you and me now.
[Carol pats his shoulder and walks out of the room.]
Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena walks into the library. Stefan is standing by the fireplace. He turns to face Elena. He is in tears.]
- Stefan: I'm so sorry.
- Elena: We were stupid. Sneaking around, thinking that we weren't gonna get caught.
- Stefan: I know.
- Elena: We did this. Stefan, Jenna's in the hospital and Jeremy could be next. All because we didn't - we didn't listen to her. Because - because we're together. Stefan...
- Stefan: I know what you're gonna say to me.
[Elena walks closer to him.]
- Elena: Then let me say it. I've been so selfish because I love you so much and I know how much you love me. But it's over. Stefan, it has to be.
- Stefan: Elena, I...
- Elena: Don't, Stefan.
[Elena grabs his face in her hands. She has tears in her eyes as well.]
- Elena: It has to be.
[Elena hesitates, but finally gives him one last kiss goodbye. She pulls away. She looks at him for a second and walks out of the room before she can change her mind. Elena walks down the front hallway, clutching her stomach and continuing to cry. She reaches the front door and opens it, but Damon stops her. She turns around and looks at him.]
- Damon: Elena. I riled Katherine up. I - I wasn't thinking. I didn't think.
- Elena: It doesn't matter, Damon. She won. Katherine won.
[She walks out and closes the door.]
[Katherine is pacing back and forth and talking to someone sitting on her bed.]
- Katherine: I apologize if I seem rattled. Circumstances have changed suddenly, and I had to adjust. (She sits on the bed.) Mind control is a necessary evil. You see, I need a werewolf, and I've lost the one that I had. Now, tell me what you're going to do to help me get a new one.
[The other person is revealed to be Matt Donovan.]
- Matt: I'm going to go after Tyler Lockwood.
[She compels him.]
- Katherine: And you're not going to stop.
- Matt: And I'm not going to stop.
- Katherine: Until?
- Matt: Until he kills me.