|This article is about Pilot, the zeroth episode of the first season of The Originals. You may be looking for Pilot, the first episode of the first season and series premiere of The Vampire Diaries.|
KLAUS RETURNS TO HIS PAST IN NEW ORLEANS - Klaus Mikaelson, the Original vampire-werewolf hybrid, has returned to New Orleans, the city his family helped build, the city from which he and his siblings – Elijah and Rebekah – were exiled a century ago by their relentless hunter father. Drawn back by a mysterious tip that a plot is brewing against him in the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter, Klaus is surprised that the city still feels like home to him despite the century he’s been away. Curious as to why Klaus would return to the one place he swore he would never set foot again, Elijah follows his brother and learns that the beautiful and rebellious werewolf Hayley – Klaus’ onetime flame – has also come to the French Quarter searching for clues to her family history. Hayley has fallen into the hands of a powerful witch named Sophie Deveraux. When Sophie reveals to the Mikaelson brothers the almost unbelievable news that Hayley is carrying Klaus’ unborn child, Elijah realizes that the Original family has been given a second chance at humanity, and the redemption they desperately crave.
Note: All cast members are uncredited.
- Rebekah: "New Orleans? What the bloody hell is he doing there?"
- Elijah: "Evidently there are witches conspiring against him. So, knowing our brother, this was a mission to silence and slaughter."
- Rebekah: "Well the French Quarter witches are not a lot to be trifled with. You don’t suppose they found a way to kill him once and for all, do you?"
- Elijah: "Rebekah, in the name of our family you might try to dial down your glee."
- Rebekah: "What family? We are three distrustful acquaintances who happen to share a bloodline. I for one hope they found a way to make that traitorous bastard rot."
- Klaus: "For a thousand years, I lived in fear. Any time I settled anywhere, our father would hunt me down and... chase me off. He made me feel powerless and I hated it. This town was my home once, and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything that I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I made him in my image and he has bettered me. I want what he has. I want to be king."
- Elijah: "And what of Hayley and the baby?"
- Klaus: "Every king needs an heir."
- Klaus: "What an entirely unwelcome surprise."
- Elijah:"And what an entirely unsurprising welcome."
- Antagonist: Marcel Gerard.
- Protagonist: Niklaus Mikaelson.
- Narrator: Niklaus Mikaelson.
- A very similar episode was aired as an episode of the fourth season of the mother show The Vampire Diaries working as a planted pilot. While some scenes are the same this episode has both unaired and alternate material working as an episode on its own without being affected by The Vampire Diaries.
- Due to this episode not being aired on television but being released at Comic-Con and the CW website, not one single cast member is credited.
- This is the first episode in the continuity of The Originals.
- This episode is numbered as episode 0 due to not being an official part of the first season.
- All ties (like the origin of the letter) to The Vampire Diaries are cut due to the show being meant to be able to stand on its own feet.
- This is the first episode to feature the Originals title card.
- Davina made her debut in this episode of TO even though she wasn't shown in the original backdoor pilot.
- Since Elijah is still in Mystic Falls in the beginning of the episode, this episode is set after Pictures of You.
Behind the Scenes