|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 1|
|Air date||September 10th 2009|
|Written by||Kevin Williamson & Julie Plec|
|Directed by||Marcos Siega|
|Episode Guide transcript|
The Night of the Comet
DESIRE, HEARTBREAK, ENVY, REDEMPTION, FEAR, AND RAGE, BEGINS NOW — Four months after the car accident that killed their parents, Elena Gilbert and her younger brother Jeremy are still trying to move on with their lives. As the school year begins, Elena is intrigued by a handsome and mysterious new student named Stefan Salvatore, who came from another school, and the two are immediately drawn to one another, with Elena not realizing that Stefan is actually a century old vampire. When Stefan's older brother Damon Salvatore arrives in Mystic Falls, an old rivalry between the two is awakened that could be the ruining of Elena and the town.
Text in Bold and Italics are diary entries/voiceovers.The episode starts with a voice-over, the voice of Stefan, saying: "For over a century I have lived in secret; hiding in the shadows, alone in the world. Until now. I am a vampire. This is my story."Outside Mystic Falls, a young couple, having a good-natured argument in their car, notice fog thickening around them and suddenly they hit someone on the road. Seeing the person on the ground, the boy gets out of the car, and is attacked whilst looking over the body. Failing to get a signal on her phone as she calls for help, the girl gets out, calling her boyfriend. Suddenly, his body drops onto the hood of the car. She screams and runs off in panic, before being lifted off the ground by an unseen force.
The voice over of Stefan continues: "I shouldn't have come home. I know the risk. But I had no choice. I have to know her." On the roof of the Salvatore Boarding House, Stefan, who had been watching the sunrise, jumps to the ground.At the Gilbert house, Elena sits in her room and writes in her diary: Dear Diary: Today will be different. It has to be. I will smile and it will be believable. That smile will say, "I'm fine, thank you." "Yes, I feel much better." I will no longer be the sad little girl who lost her parents. I will start fresh, be someone new. It's the only way I'll make it through.
Downstairs, Aunt Jenna offers to make breakfast before leaving for a meeting and Elena tries to talk to Jeremy. On the drive to school, Bonnie tells Elena about her being psychic but notices Elena’s not listening. Suddenly, a large crow hits the windscreen. Elena says she can’t be freaked out by cars forever.
At Mystic Falls High School, Stefan walks across the yard. At the lockers, Caroline hugs Elena asks Bonnie if Elena is okay. In the school yard, Jeremy gives Vicki pills and is being teased by Tyler. Inside, Stefan compels the school secretary to let him in the school as Bonnie and Elena look at him from behind.
Elena sees Jeremy enter the men's room, so she follows him and accuses him of taking drugs. He walks out and Stefan encounters Elena leaving the men's room. They act awkwardly before Elena leaves, eyeing him again. In Mr. Tanner's class, Bonnie texts Elena, that Stefan is staring at her.
Later at Mystic Falls Cemetery, Elena sits at her parents' grave, writing in her diary: Dear Diary, I made it through the day. I must have said, "I'm fine, thanks" at least 37 times. And I didn't mean it once. But no one noticed. When someone asks "How are you?", they really don't want an answer." Suddenly, fog gathers and a crow lands on the gravestone. She tries to ignore it and even shoo it away, but when she turns around, it's still there and she runs off, frightened. She stumbles down a hill and finds Stefan standing there. He asks if she's okay and says he's visiting family. Elena then introduces herself and so does Stefan. She sees his ring before he inquires if she’s hurt herself. She checks her leg and his face changes and he tells her she must leave. When she turns around, he’s gone.
Later at the Salvatore Boarding House, Stefan writes in his journal about his encounter with Elena: "I lost control today. Everything I've kept buried inside, came rushing to the surface. I'm simply not able to resist her'".
At the Mystic Grill, Jeremy asks Vicki why she's ignoring him. Nearby, Matt and Tyler talk about Vicki. Meanwhile, Caroline tells Bonnie about Stefan. At the Gilbert house, Elena is surprised to see Stefan at the front door when she's getting ready to leave the house. He returns her diary and she invites him to the Mystic Grill with her.
Back at the Mystic Grill, Matt and Bonnie talk about Elena and they see her and Stefan arrive together while Caroline, Matt, Tyler and Bonnie stare at them. Matt introduces himself. At a table, Matt, Caroline, Stefan, Elena and Bonnie talk and Caroline mentions the party at the Falls.
At the Salvatore Boarding House, Zach bursts into Stefan's room, handing him a paper detailing mysterious deaths. Stefan says he has everything under control and when Zach leaves, he goes to a cupboard and extracts a book with a photograph of a young woman who looks a lot like Elena, which bears the words "Katherine 1864".
During Mr. Tanner’s class, Stefan contradicts him when he talks about the Battle of Willow Creek and he (Mr. Tanner) ends up humiliated. At the Falls, Stefan arrives and is accosted by Caroline. Around the fire, Bonnie hands Elena a bottle and has a vision of death. She walks off before Elena finds Stefan behind her. On the bridge, Elena talks about the car crash that killed her parents. Stefan tells her she won't be sad forever.
In the woods, Jeremy corners Tyler when he starts getting aggressive towards Vicki. Back at the bridge Stefan asks Elena about her friends and Matt, Stefan's face changes again. He leaves. Later on Vicki is alone and is suddenly attacked by unseen being.
Back at the party, Matt tells Elena he still believes in them as a couple. Caroline is rejected by Stefan. He approaches Elena, who sees Jeremy wandering off and goes after him. He discovers Vicki’s body. They return to the party seeking help and Stefan disappears.
At the Salvatore Boarding House, Stefan arrives home and tells Zach about the attack. In his room, a crow flies in as he comes face-to-face with his older brother, Damon. Stefan asks why Damon has come back but Damon does not answer the question.
At the Falls, Bonnie tells Elena about her vision. In Stefan’s room, Damon taunts his little brother, provoking him until Stefan shows his vampire face and forces them both out the window. Outside, Damon continues to taunt him and then hands back his ring, before throwing him against the garage and warning him not to mess with him again.
At the Falls, Elena tries to talk to Jeremy but he brings up the subject of her cemetery visits. At the Mystic Grill, Bonnie talks to a rejected Caroline who is jealous of Elena and thinks that she is competition. At the hospital, Vicki wakes up and mutters the word "Vampire" to Matt.
In Elena’s room, she writes in her diary: "Dear Diary - I couldn't have been more wrong. I thought that I could smile and nod my way through it. Pretend that it would all be okay." Meanwhile Stefan, at the Boarding House, looks at Katherine’s photograph and writes in his own journal: "I had a plan. I wanted to change who I was. Create a life with someone new, someone without the past." '''''In synchronized, dual journal entries, they (Stefan and Elena) express their feelings: "Without the pain, someone alive".' In the living room, Jeremy looks at a photograph of his parents. Elena continues in her journal entry: "But it's not that easy. The bad things stay with you. They follow you."
At the Mystic Grill, Bonnie pays for the drinks as Caroline smiles coyly at Damon. Elena's voice over: "You can't escape them. As much as you want to." Elena acknowledges that: All you can do is be ready for the good. So when it comes, you invite it in, because you need it. I need it. She then spots Stefan standing outside of her house. When he asks her if she’s okay, she tells him to ask her tomorrow and then she invites him inside.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
- Kayla Ewell as Vicki Donovan
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
- This is the first episode of The Vampire Diaries (TV Series).
- Antagonist: Damon Salvatore
- The three main characters (Elena, Stefan, and Damon) where each first in something in this episode:
- Stefan Salvatore: First character to be heard and first vampire to compel someone.
- Damon: First vampire to be seen and first character to kill someone.
- Elena: First main character whose face is seen.
- Darren Malloy and Brooke Fenton are the first characters to be seen, and first characters to be killed on the show.
- This was the only episode to be filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia. The rest of the episodes have been filmed in Covington, Georgia (which doubles as the fictional small town of Mystic Falls, Virginia) and various other communities around Greater Atlanta, to take advantage of local tax incentives.
- This is the first episode of The Vicki Chapter.
- This is the first episode to feature all main characters.
- This episode had 4.91 million viewers in USA, making it most watched episode to date.
- The scene where Elena Gilbert and Bonnie Bennett are together in the car, a crew member was crouched down behind the back seat.
- Katerina Graham who plays Bonnie, actually ran through a stop sign in the opening scenes when she's with Nina in the car.
- The only episode of season one to have audio commentary with it on the DVD/Blu-ray.
- The scene where Elena catches Jeremy trying to hide the fact he did drugs was filmed at 2:00 in the morning.
- When Elena and Stefan are in class and answering questions, the male sitting behind her is actually older than Mr. Tanner in real life, as said by Julie Plec in the commentary.
- The first post-teaser scene features Stefan standing on the roof of the Salvatore Boarding House, staring off into the woods. This echoes Stefan's first scene in The Awakening, as he stands in the woods before school.
- Elena sits by the window as she writes in her diary. She is later watched by a crow as she makes her way to school.
- James Blunt is an English singer-songwriter known for his acoustic soft rock.
- Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States.
- Heath Ledger was an Australian actor who died accidentally from the abuse of prescription medications in January 2008 at the age of 28.
- Air Supply is a soft rock duo who rose to fame in the late seventies/early eighties with hits such as "Lost in Love", and "Making Love Out of Nothing At All."
- Pete Wentz is the bassist for emo/pop-punk band Fall Out Boy. He's known for being fond of eyeliner and nail polish.
- Carson Daly rose to fame in the late 1990s while hosting MTV's Total Request Live (TRL).
- Hitchcock refers to Alfred Hitchcock, the British film director responsible for classic psychological thrillers such as the one Elena is alluding to, The Birds.
- Stefan: "For over a century, I have lived in secret; hiding in the shadows, alone in the world. Until now. I am a vampire and this is my story."
- Stefan: "I shouldn't have come home. I know the risk, but I had no choice. I have to know her."
- Elena: "Dear diary, today will be different. It has to be. I will smile and it will be believable. My smile will say, "I'm fine, thank you," "Yes, I feel much better." I will no longer be the sad little girl who lost her parents. I will start fresh, be someone new. It's the only way I'll make it through."
- Elena: "Dear diary, I made it through the day. I must have said, "I'm fine, thanks," at least 37 times. And I didn't mean it once. But no one noticed. When someone asks, "How are you?" they really don't want an answer."
- Stefan: "I lost control today. Everything I've kept buried inside came rushing to the surface. I'm simply not able to resist her."
- Elena: "Dear diary, I couldn't have been more wrong. I thought that I could smile and nod my way through it. Pretend that it would all be okay."
- Stefan: "I had a plan. I wanted to change who I was. Create a life with someone new, someone without the past."
- Elena: "Without the pain."
- Stefan/Elena: "Someone alive."
- Elena: "But it's not that easy. The bad things stay with you."
- Stefan: "They follow you. You can't escape them. As much as you want to."
- Elena: "All you can do is be ready for the good. So when it comes, you invite it in, because you need it. I need it."
- Elena: "Were you following me?"
- Stefan: "No, I, uh, I just, I saw you fall."
- Elena: "Uh-huh. And you just happened to be hanging out in a cemetery."
- Stefan: "I'm visiting. I have, uh, family here."
- Elena: "Oh. Wow. Tactless. I'm sorry. It's the fog. It's making me foggy. And then back there, there was this bird, and it was all very Hitchcock for a second. That is the bird movie, right? The Hitchcock...? I'm Elena."
- Stefan: "I'm Stefan."
- Elena: "I know. We have history together."
- Stefan: "And English and French."
- Elena: "I'm meeting Bonnie at the Grill."
- Jenna: "Okay, gave fun. Wait. I got this. Don't stay out late; it's a school night."
- Elena (chuckles): "Well done, Aunt Jenna."
- Zach: "Please, Uncle Stefan, Mystic Falls is a different place now. It's been quiet for years. But there are people who still remember. And you being here, it's just gonna stir things up."
- Stefan: "It's not my intention."
- Zach: "Then what is? Why did you come back after all this time? Why now?"
- Stefan: "I don't have to explain myself."
- Zach: "I know that you can't change what you are, but you don't belong here anymore."
- Stefan: "Where do I belong?"
- Zach: "I can't tell you what to do, but coming back here was a mistake."
- Stefan: "You won't be sad forever, Elena."
- Stefan: "Why are you here now?"
- Damon: "I could ask you the same question. However, I'm fairly certain your answer can be summed up all into one little word: Elena."