|“||I will hurt Klaus Mikaelson as he hurt me, and when I'm done, he'll wish that he could die.||”|
Alphonz Bellatunde Delgallo, better known as Papa Tunde, was a witch and a former leader of the French Quarter Coven in early 20th century New Orleans. He was resurrected in late 2011/early 2012 by Céleste Dubois (who was possessing Sabine Laurent), along with Bastianna Natale and Genevieve, using the energy from the latest Harvest ritual. He was brought back to life by Céleste due to his intention to seek revenge on Klaus for killing him and his twin sons in 1919. To complete this mission, he willingly sacrificed himself in a ritual performed by Céleste that would turn his blade into a dark object with the ability to cause devastating pain to even someone as powerful as an Original vampire.
In 1919, Tunde and his twin sons came to New Orleans at Marcel Gerard's behest after the vampire had met him while he was deployed to France in World War I. Papa Tunde first appeared in a ceremony performed by the witches of the French Quarter Coven, where he revealed that he, too, practiced ancestral magic. However, he then admitted that he practiced an additional form of magic as well-- sacrificial magic, which involved him using the power of his offerings (typically supernatural beings) in order to vanquish his enemies. After explaining his history, he then offered a deal to the coven: if they welcomed himself and his sons into their coven and accepted him as their leader, he would use his substantial sacrificial power to defend them against the werewolves, vampires, and corrupt human politicians.
Days later, Tunde and his twin sons crashed a meeting between the brothers Elijah and Niklaus Mikaelson and the Guerrera werewolf crime family. The Mikaelsons and Guerreras were in the middle of discussing how they could best smuggle alcohol into the city in the face of Prohibition becoming the law of the country when Papa Tunde interrupted them by informing them that as a fellow king of the city, he deserved to be at the meeting with them. He gave them the head of Mayor O'Connell, who was meant to be joining them in the meeting, as a warning before stating that he would be in touch and leaving with his sons in tow.
After giving his warning, Tunde began his campaign to gain more power in the Quarter, and he sacrificed the weaker vampires, werewolves, witches, and humans who opposed him to fuel his sacrificial magic, making him a force to be reckoned with in the supernatural community of New Orleans. Even still, Klaus was convinced that he was a charlatan and spent some time studying Tunde and his methods to best craft a plan against him. Though Elijah attempted to arrange a meeting to discuss a diplomatic resolution to their problems, it was ultimately Klaus who showed up at the scheduled time, where he revealed that he had learned the secret to Tunde's power-- he used his sacrificial sigil to channel the power of his twin sons to boost his strength. Echoing Tunde's earlier warning that involved him giving the brothers Mayor O'Connell's severed head as a gift, Klaus gave Tunde the severed heads of his twins as proof that he had lost the bulk of his magical power. Klaus then took advantage of Tunde's physical, magical, and emotional weakness due to the loss of his sons and gouged his eyes out with his thumbs, killing him instantly and ending his reign of power in the city.
Throughout The Originals Series
In Après Moi, Le Déluge, Papa Tunde was resurrected by The Harvest ritual with help from Céleste Dubois. He went from the cemetery, picked up his hat and met with Genevieve, Bastianna and Sabine who revealed that she has been possessed by Céleste for almost a year.
In Dance Back from the Grave, Tunde begins his renewed campaign of witch supremacy by killing a couple of daywalkers. Leaving a sacrificial ritual mark where Thierry could find it, Tunde then waited for him to summon Rebekah. Attacking them both, Tunde revealed his magical power by desiccating Rebekah with a mere touch. As Thierry ran off, Tunde performed his ritual, drawing all of Rebekah's power into him, and leaving her trapped in a desiccated state. He then attacked Marcel at Rousseau's. After a short fight, he desiccated Marcel and prepared to drain, and kill him, when Klaus showed up. However, with the strength of Rebekah, and all of the day and nightwalkers he killed, Tunde proved to be more powerful than Klaus, and had the upper hand in the fight, until Elijah and Hayley freed Rebekah, severing his link to her power. Tunde then ran while Klaus saw to Marcel, and went to the Garden to kill every single occupant. Finally, channeling all of the power he acquired into his bone blade, Tunde, for the glory of the French Quarter Coven, allowed Celeste to kill him, to increase the power further. Marcel revealed in a conversation with Camille that Tunde slaughtered many werewolves and witches including the Guerrera werewolves during his first visit to New Orleans.
Papa Tunde was a witch with immense confidence in his own ability. He approached the French Quarters in spite of being aware of the natural forces running it, which includes the Original Vampires. When Klaus killed his source of power, Tunde's two sons, rather than becoming afraid before the Original Hybrid, he opted to attack him then and there.
He was a man that was of tall stature and always wore dress up shirts (tuxedos, etc.) that were either black or white. He was also rarely seen without a fedora as well.
- Alphonz is a French name and it means "Noble and Ready". An alternate spelling of the name is Alphonse.
- Tunde is a Nigerian unisex name meaning "return". A reference to him returning from the dead. The name is also similar to Tünde, a Hungarian female name meaning 'fairy'.
- Del Gallo is a Roman family name (Gallus) which meant "rooster" in Latin. Rooster is probably an hint to roosters being sacred animals in voodoo, since Papa Tunde was very skilled in sacrificial magic.
- Papa Tunde's sons were killed by Klaus.
- After channeling the power from the sacrifices that he made, which includes Rebekah, Tunde exhibited more physical power than even the Original Hybrid or Enhanced Original and with less weakness, being able to recover quickly after his neck was snapped by Marcel. This is something that not even Original Vampires are capable of.
- He seeks revenge on Klaus for killing his children by going after Marcel, whom, according to him, was one of the few things Niklaus actually cared about. This implies that Tunde was unaware that Hayley was carrying Hope at the time.
- During his first visit to New Orleans, Tunde slaughtered a large portion of The Guerrera Family.
- Papa Tunde is one of few witches to have actually killed vampires. His victims were two nightwalkers, and the entirety of The Garden's inmates.
- Papa Tunde practiced Ancestral Magic and Sacrificial Magic.