BIRTHDAYS AND GOOD-BYES — Although Caroline is in no mood to celebrate her 18th birthday, Elena, Bonnie and Matt surprise her with a small party in an unusual location. Damon and Stefan disagree on the best way to handle Klaus, and a reckless Stefan decides to test his theory by taking things to dangerous extremes. Bonnie is concerned when Elena tells her about Jeremy's new plans. At a Founder’s meeting, Alaric once again runs into Dr. Fell, who is in the middle of an argument with her ex-boyfriend, the medical examiner. Tyler refuses to go along with Klaus’ latest demand, and is surprised when Klaus seems to accept his decision.
- Antagonist: Stefan Salvatore.
- It is revealed in the Season Six episode I Never Could Love Like That, that this episode takes place on October 10, 2010, as Caroline's birthday was revealed to be October 10, 1992.
- This episode marks Caroline's 18th birthday and the first episode to feature a birthday since The Birthday.
- Damon’s continued evolution from villain to hero is shown.
- It is the first time Wickery Bridge is shown.
- This episode marks the second appearance of Meredith Fell.
- This is the second episode this season to feature all main cast members.
- Klaus orders Tyler to bite Caroline to get back at Stefan for stealing his coffins and beheading one of his hybrids. Tyler refuses, but because of his sire bond with Klaus, he inadvertently bites Caroline anyway while they're making out in the woods.
- The scene where Klaus gives his blood to Caroline is a mirror of the scene in the novels when Katherine von Swartzschild meets Klaus, who then turned her into a vampire.
- Damon killed his second hybrid in this episode, the first being in Homecoming.
- This episode marked the first appearance of Klaus' new right-hand hybrid, Daniel Warren.
- Stefan killed Mindy, marking his first on-screen kill of a successful hybrid, though he had killed Ray Sutton, an unsuccessful hybrid, prior to this episode.
- This is the first and only time that Stefan threatens to turn Elena into a vampire against her will.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Mindy - Decapitation; killed by Stefan Salvatore
- Brian Walters - Staked; killed by Alaric Saltzman/his alter-ego
- One of Klaus' hybrids - Heart extraction; killed by Damon Salvatore
- "Give Peace a Chance" is a song written by John Lennon in 1969.
- "Drunk Texting" is sending text messages while during drunken stupor. It is usually something that one would not do while sober.
- "Drinking the Kool-Aid" refers to the 1978 Joneston Massacre. It suggests following the leader mindlessly, without thinking of the consequences.
- "Getting caught in the cross-fire" is to be caught between two warrior factions.
- "White Knight" a man who sees a damsel in distress and thinks he feels the obligation to protect her.
- "Crash the party", or to attend a party without invitation.
- "Collateral damage" is when something that is not the target is damaged or destroyed. In military terms, it usually means civilians. Although the phrase was only coined in 1962, it is widely used now. It is also the name of a 2002 movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Our Town is the name of a 1940 film adaptation of the Thornton Wilder play of the same name.
- Although Damon and Elena just kissed the night before, both of them are acting guilty as if they had sex...
- Caroline will be young, sexy, blond and super-strong forever (or until somebody stakes her). Still, she does not want to celebrate her birthday because immortality sucks!
- Instead of a birthday party, she ends up attending her own funeral - although there is also cake.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.86 million viewers in the USA.
- Stefan: "Get your hybrids out of Mystic Falls, or I will remove them myself."
- Klaus: "Get Stefan to stop decapitating my friends!"
- Elena: (about Jeremy) "He's in danger!"
- Damon: "You wanna beat the villain, you have to be smarter!"
- Stefan: "No, to beat the villain, you have to be the better villain!"
- Damon: "He's operating crazy!"
- Elena: "I can't lose anyone else that I love!"
- Stefan: "If I know his weakness, I can destroy him!"
- Bonnie: (frustrated that the sealed casket won't open) "Why won't you open?"
- Stefan: "Say goodbye to your family, Klaus!"
- Elena: "Stefan, no!"
- Stefan: "Maybe I'll just turn you into a vampire!"
- Elena: "Stop the car, Stefan!" (Stefan feeds Elena his blood)
- Stefan: "I don't really care what you think about me anymore, Elena."