|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 3, Episode 11|
|Air date||January 12th 2012|
|Written by||Rebecca Sonnenshine|
|Directed by||Wendey Stanzler|
|Episode Guide transcript|
The New Deal
The Ties That Bind
Our Town is the eleventh episode of the Third Season and the fifty-fifth episode in the series.
BIRTHDAYS AND GOOD-BYES — Although Caroline is in no mood to celebrate her 18th birthday, Elena, Bonnie and Matt surprises her with a small party in an unusual location. Damon and Stefan disagree on the best way to handle Klaus and a reckless Stefan decides to test his theory by taking things to dangerous extremes. Bonnie is concerned when Elena tells her about Jeremy's new plans. At a Founder’s meeting, Alaric once again runs into Dr. Fell, who is in the middle of an argument with her ex-boyfriend, the medical examiner. Tyler refuses to go along with Klaus’ latest demand, and is surprised when Klaus seems to accept his decision.
|The hybrids around town are getting out of hand, causing their hybrid mayhem. One interrupts Bonnie’s attempts to open Klaus’s family caskets and Damon kills him. No one is sure whose body is in the last casket. Meanwhile Jeremy prepares to leave town, and Bonnie is upset that Elena has taken away his choice in the matter by having Damon compel himto leave. Tyler approaches Caroline at school and apologizes for putting everyone in danger. He gives her a charm bracelet for her birthday. In another pairing, Stefan visits Klaus to demand that he remove the hybrids from town or else the caskets will disappear into the ocean. As a result of that he will never see them again. As a promise, Stefan kills a hybrid in front of Klaus. Klaus gets angry and calls Tyler in to bite Caroline. Knowing that his bite will prove deadly to her, Tyler refuses, which seems all too easy. In the last episode, Tyler admitted that he’d jump off a bridge if Klaus asked him to, so his sudden backbone is suspicious. Caroline feels depressed because she’s undead and stuck at age 17 - a filler year where nothing exciting happens. Elena, Matt, and Bonnie decide to hold Caroline's get-together at a crypt where they create a small funeral for the life Caroline used to have as a human so she can move on with her new life.
While those four have a funeral party, Damon and Alaric head to a Restoration Fundraiser, which is a cover for a Council meeting. Klaus is there, chatting up Mrs. Lockwood. He is offering the town protection in exchange for Stefan leaving his hybrids alone. Mrs. Lockwood falls for Klaus' charms, but good old Sheriff Liz sides with Damon and doesn’t want anyone controlling her town. Alaric walks in on Dr. Fell having an argument with her ex, who is also the medical examiner. Stefan tries to kill another hybrid at the party but Damon intervenes, not wanting to cause a scene.
In a weak and drunken moment, Caroline texts Tyler, who shows up to the funeral. He draws her outside and tells her he loves her. Caroline is all aflutter and they kiss, but then Tyler bites her neck and runs away. So, still under Klaus’s bidding, then. Stefan kidnaps Elena as she and Matt look for Caroline and drives off, telling Klaus that if he doesn’t get rid of the hybrids, Stefan will get rid of his ability to make any more (with Elena’s blood). While Klaus listens on the phone, Stefan forces Elena to drink his blood and speeds toward the bridge her parents died on, planning to turn her into a vampire. In a panic, Klaus agrees to get rid of the hybrids. Elena is understandably upset and jumps out of the car. After telling her that revenge on Klaus is all he has left, Stefan drives away.
Matt carries Caroline home and Klaus appears, offering his help in exchange for the Sheriff’s support. She agrees and invites him in. Klaus offers to let Caroline die, if that’s what she wants, but describes a beautiful world waiting for her. He offers her his blood, and she accepts. Caroline awakens the next morning good as new, with a present from Klaus by her bed. It’s a much more grown-up and expensive bracelet than the one Tyler had given her.
Jeremy leaves town, and Dr. Fell shows up at the bar where Alaric is working on his alcoholism. Meanwhile Sheriff Liz brings Damon out to a crime scene – the murdered body of the medical examiner, with a stake sticking out of his chest.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
- Joseph Morgan as Niklaus Mikaelson
- Torrey DeVitto as Meredith Fell
- Marguerite MacIntyre as Elizabeth Forbes
- Susan Walters as Carol Lockwood
- Antagonist: Stefan Salvatore.
- This episode marks Caroline's 18th birthday.
- It’s a big episode for the friends — for Elena and Matt and Bonnie and Caroline.
- It’s a big episode for Tyler and Caroline’s relationship.
- Damon’s continued evolution as villain to hero is shown.
- This episode will have a gut-wrenching scene between Stefan and Elena.
- It is the first time Wickery Bridge is shown.
- This episode marks the second appearance of Meredith Fell.
- This is the second episode this season to feature all main cast members.
- The scene where Klaus gives his blood to Caroline is a mirror of the scene when Katherine von Swartzschild meets Klaus and turned her into a vampire.
- This episode had 2.860 million viewers in the USA.
- Damon killed his second hybrid in this episode, the first being in Homecoming.
- This episode marked the first appearance of Klaus' new right hand hybrid, Daniel Warren.
- Stefan killed Mindy, marking his first on-screen kill of a successful hybrid, though he had killed Ray Sutton, an unsuccessful hybrid.
- "Give Peace a Chance " is a song written by John Lennon in 1969.
- "Drunk Texting " sending text messages while during drunken stupor. Usually something that one would not do while sober.
- "Drinking the Kool-Aid " refers to the 1978 Joneston Massacre . It suggests following the leader mindlessly, without thinking of the consequences.
- "Getting caught in the cross-fire " to be caught between two warrior factions.
- "White Knight " a man who sees a damsel in distress and thinks he has the obligation to protect her.
- "Crash the party " to attend a party without invitation.
- "Collateral Damage " is when something that is not the target is damaged or destroyed. In military terms it usually means civilians. Although the phrase was only coined in 1961 it is widely used now. It is also the name of a 2002 movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger .
Although Damon and Elena just kissed the night before, both of them are acting guilty as if they had sex ...
Caroline will be young, sexy, blond and superstrong forever (or until somebody stakes her). Still she does not want to celebrate her birthday because immortality sucks !
Instead of a birthday party, she ends up attending her own funeral - although there is also cake.
- Stefan: "Get your hybrid's out of Mystic Falls or I will remove them myself."
- Klaus: "Get Stefan to stop decapitating my friends!"
- Elena: "(About Jeremy) "He's in danger!"
- Damon: "You wanna beat the villain, you have to be smarter!"
- Stefan: "To beat the villain, you have to be the better villain!"
- Damon: "He's operating crazy!"
- Elena: "I can't lose anyone else that I love!"
- Stefan: "If I know his weakness I can destroy him!"
- Bonnie: "Why won't you open?"
- Stefan: "Say goodbye to your family, Klaus!"
- Elena: "Stefan, no!"
- Stefan: "Maybe I'll just turn you into a vampire!"
- Elena: "Stop the car, Stefan!" (Stefan feeds Elena his blood)
- Stefan: "I don't really care what you think about me anymore, Elena."