|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 5, Episode 3|
|Air date||October 17th, 2013|
|Written by||Rebecca Sonnenshine & Melinda Hsu Taylor|
|Directed by||Jesse Warn|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
For Whom the Bell Tolls
SummarySECRETS OF THE PAST - When Elena and Katherine have the same dream that Stefan is in danger and desperately needs their help, they convince Damon to help them find Stefan. However, their plans are thwarted by a mysterious young woman named Tessa who seems to know everything about Stefan’s history. In flashbacks to a distant time and place, Tessa reveals the shocking secrets in her past and what she has planned for the future. She also has a disturbing message for Damon about his own future. Silas forces an unwilling accomplice to help him search for Katherine, leading to a confusing and life-threatening situation for Matt. Finally, Silas reveals the reason he’s determined to find Katherine, and Damon and Elena face a disturbing new reality.
Stefan Salvatore is walking around when he comes across a bar. He enters and finds Jo, a bartender. He feeds on her but stops himself from killing her. He tells her to run. She does but he soon follows. as he gets outside, the sun comes up and he begins to burn just realizing that doesn't have his daylight ring on. Elena wakes up in bed after having another nightmare, after Damon asks what's wrong, she admits that it was a dream about Stefan again, but Damon says he doesn't want to know what happened. He eventually relents and she tells him that Stefan was at a bar but doesn't know where, Katherine then makes her presence revealing that she had the same dream. Elena is then looking at a map in order to find which diner to go to. Katherine demands to go with them and while Elena has reservations, Damon mentions how Katherine is wanted by Silas.
Elsewhere, Silas is talking to Nadia on the phone, in which he has doubts about Nadia's loyalty. She mentions how she killed Gregor and how Silas buried his body. Silas then tells Nadia to find Matt Donovan and get information about where Katherine is, then take the ring from Matt and kill him. Stefan awakens in a hut where a mysterious woman is watching him. He warns her to stay away from him as he doesn't want to hurt her. She gives him a blood bag and he drinks from it. She mentions how she knows that Stefan is the doppelgänger of Silas and reveals that she knew him and that he was not always a monster. She mentions how Silas was her true love and that they were the most powerful members of The Travellers, and that their love was so powerful that she created the Immortality Spell. Stefan then mentions that he knows that is when Qetsiyah came into it and ruined everything. He then asks that if she is alive why hasn't she gone after Silas and be with him. She mentions that while he was her True Love, she was not his, and then reveals that she is Qetsiyah.
On the road, Damon is driving with Elena & Katherine, Damon asks about the diner but Elena says she will know it when she sees it. Katherine then pops in and says she will know too. Katherine then begins to taunt Elena about how all summer she has been having dreams of Stefan and yet was so interested in her relationship with Damon.
Back at the Mystic Grill, Matt is putting some rubbish away when he sees Nadia. He gets angry at her and demands to know what she did to him. She tells him that she is trying to protect him from Silas and trust her. She then uses a spell to bring forth Gregor who is still inside Matt's mind. He gets angry at her for killing him, but Nadia mentions how she did it to save him. She tells him that she loves him and that they will find a permanent way to keep him in control. She asks him to call Elena to find out where Katherine is.
Back at the hut, Stefan is snooping in Qetsiyah's bag when she comes back in. He asks if she has a phone but she says there is no phone signal where they are. Qetsiyah then reveals more of the story of her past mentioning how at the planned wedding of hers and Silas that everything started dying and that she found out that the immortality spell that she created in the drink that would make her and Silas immortal was gone and that he was taking it somewhere else. She reveals that she found Silas' tent where she found that the woman that he was with was Amara, the original doppelgänger of Elena, and her handmaiden. Qetsiyah then tells Stefan that she is making him a daylight ring so that he can get out.
Elena & Damon finally arrive at the bar and enter leaving a sleeping Katherine in the car. They enter and find Jo, who has a bandage around her neck. Damon compels her to tell him what happened and she reveals about Stefan attacking her and then him burning before Qetsiyah threw him into a truck. She mentions how she knows who's truck it was and directs them to the hut. Before though she offers Damon a drink and he accepts until he realizes it is filled with vervain. Nadia comes in telling them that she threatened Jo's life if she didn't do it. Katherine enters as Nadia aims a gun at them. She demands to know which one of them is Katherine, and Katherine points at Elena, but Nadia mentions how Katherine is a liar and knows it is her. Elena tackles Nadia and tells Katherine to run which she does. Nadia is able to fight Elena off and escapes with super speed. Elena tells Damon to find Stefan while she goes after Elena. Damon tells her that if there is trouble to leave Katherine saying she is not worth a hair on her head. They kiss before they part ways.
Back at the hut, Qetsiyah reveals how she killed Amara by giving her The Cure, and then slitting her throat and ripping out her heart, breaking Silas' heart. He vows to kill her but she uses her magic to hold him back and then gives him the cure telling him to take it so they can be together, but he refuses. Stefan then realizes that Qetsiyah is not making a daylight ring, she mentions to him about why she would give him the one thing that keeps him from leaving. He tells her that they are on the same side and wants to take down Silas but she refuses him and knocks him out with a spell.
Katherine is running in the woods when Elena catches up to her. Katherine mentions how she is glad to see Elena. She then asks why Elena didn't kill her after giving her the cure, but Elena says that she is not like Katherine and that being human is punishment enough for Katherine. Nadia appears and snaps Elena's neck and threatens Katherine to come with her.
Damon arrives at the hut and finds Stefan tied up in veins on a chair. He tries to free him but can't. Stefan mentions how Qetsiyah is back. Qetsiyah reappears and tells them that she is going to create a link between Stefan and Silas so that she can disable Silas' mental powers. Despite Damon's reservations, Stefan agrees to it. Nadia gets Katherine to her car but Silas then comes out and reveals that he found them through the GPS. He mentions that he wants Katherine but Nadia says she is not done with her. Silas mentions he doesn't care about Nadia's plans. He uses his powers to make Nadia get her gun out and point at her own heart but before she is told to pull the trigger, Silas doubles over in pain. Qetsiyah reveals to Damon that she is frying Silas' brain. Katherine & Nadia escape while blood comes out from both Stefan & Silas' eyes. Stefan finally succumbs to the pain and faints.
Damon tries to wake Stefan up but he doesn't. Damon demands to Qetsiyah to reverse what she did but she reveals that he will wake up. She then reveals to Damon how if he lets Stefan go and take him with him, then he and Elena will be doomed, she reveals that over 2000 years, versions of Stefan and Elena have found each other and fallen in love. She then offers Damon that if he leaves Stefan with her, she will look after him and then Damon can be happy with Elena. He contemplates this until he attacks Qetsiyah. Qetsiyah though knocks him out. Qetsiyah leaves and Elena arrives and goes strait to Stefan not even noticing Damon.
Elsewhere, Katherine is looking through Nadia's bag, when Nadia enters. Katherine admits to snooping. Nadia's phone goes off and she talks to Silas, who reveals that Qetsiyah is back and that she is more dangerous then he is. He then tells Nadia to keep to their deal and keep Katherine safe. Katherine grabs the phone and demands to know why he is so interested in her. He mentions that he is disgusted at the mere sight of her sharing the same face as Amara and then reveals that Katherine's blood is the cure. At Matt's house, he wakes up and gets a call from Elena. She reveals that they have have Stefan but lost Katherine, she asks him if he was okay, but he is surprised that he even called her having no knowledge of it. They say goodbye and he notices mud trailing out of the house, he then finds a knife in his pocket.
At the manor, Elena is sitting next to Stefan who is still out of it and puts his daylight ring on his finger. Damon comes in and she asks him what Qetsiyah said to him. He mentions how Qetsiyah said that their relationship is doomed and that the universe is working against them to get Stefan & Elena together but he says he is not going to let a jilted witch or the universe to control his life and that Elena is his world. They are about to kiss when Stefan wakes up. They are glad to see him but he looks perplexed. He then apologizes to them and reveals that he has no idea who they are.
- Antagonists: Qetsiyah (past), Silas, Gregor and Nadia (present).
- This episode marks the appearances of Qetsiyah and Amara.
- This is the first episode this season to feature four main cast memebers.
- It is revealed Qetsiyah is the one who saved Stefan and the man killed by Stefan after being released from the safe was the owner of the cabin they are staying in.
- Elena continues to have nightmares of Stefan, sensing something is wrong.
- It is revealed that Katherine's blood contains the cure. That is why both Silas and Qetsiyah (Tessa) want Katherine so they can make more of the cure.
- Stefan loses all his memories after a spell done by Qetsiyah, having no memories of Elena, Damon, or anyone else.
- Qetsiyah reveals that Amara is the progenitor of the Petrova Bloodline.
- Qetsiyah decides to change the name people call her to Tessa, saying that it is easier to pronounce and doesn't sound too ancient-timey.
- This is the first episode in the season to feature Stefan more than Silas.
- It is revealed that Silas fell in love with Qetsiyah's handmaid Amara, the first Petrova doppelgänger, and he gave her immortality instead of Qetsiyah.
- Damon's epic "you are my life" confession to Elena in this episode was declared the scene of the week in an online poll.1
- Nina Dobrev plays three different roles simultaneously for the second time in this episode: Elena, Katherine and Amara. The first time she played three roles simultaneously was in the Season 4 finale (Graduation), where she played Elena, Katherine and Silas.
- Qetsiyah appears for the first time in this episode. She was last mentioned in Graduation.
- Qetsiyah claimed to have reversed Amara's immortality and killed her. This was proven to be a lie in Handle with Care.
- Thought not revealed until Monster's Ball, Damon correctly guesses that Nadia is European.
- Silas possibly learned that Nadia is Katherine's daughter in this episode before it was revealed in Monster's Ball.
Behind the Scenes
- In Christian theology, Original sin, also called ancestral sin, is described as humanity's state of sin resulting from the fall of man, stemming from Adam's rebellion in Eden.
- Original Sin is the title of a 2001 movie starring Angelina Jolie and Antonio Banderas and is directed by Michael Cristofer.
- Original Sin is a song composed by Elton John and written by Bernie Taupin.
- Riding Shotgun - refers to someone sitting in the passenger seat of a car, it originated in the old west where someone would sit in the passenger seat of a stagecoach or a wagon with a shotgun to protect the carriage from thieves and bandits.
- Katherine (to Elena) : "Do you really think that I want to take a road trip with you? America's most boring self-righteous vampire."
- Qetsiyah (to Stefan) : "I'm Qetsiyah, that sane, rational, well-adjusted woman you seem to know so much about...clearly you've heard the man's version of the story, the one where I'm a back stabbing lunatic that ruined everything for Silas, a raging bitch-witch, whose obsession with vengeance created a whole new dimension of suffering in the afterlife!"
- Qetsiyah (to Stefan) : "I'm a complicated person... but Silas remains a simple man."
- Qetsiyah (to Stefan) : "Have you not been listening to me!? I have trust issues...I'm controlling...and paranoid...and a little crazy. And that's working out just fine."
- Katherine (to Elena) : "I can't believe I am saying this, but I am really glad it's you!"
- Damon (to Elena) :"No one tells me how I live my life, no one tells me who I love, especially not some vindictive prehistoric witch, and definitely not the universe. And I'm not gonna let someone else's idea of destiny stop me from loving you or being with you or building a future with you, because you are my life."
- Qetsiyah (to Damon) :"Silas had his true love and Stefan has Elena. We're merely the conflict that makes it interesting."
- Silas (to Katherine) :"You know, it's funny. The love of my life looked exactly like you and yet the mere thought of your face makes me want to vomit."