|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 3, Episode 8|
|Air date||November 3rd 2011|
|Written by|| Story: Nick Wauters|
|Directed by||J. Miller Tobin|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
SummaryORIGINAL PEOPLE ORIGINAL FAMILY — With help from Elena and Bonnie, Alaric tries to decipher the meaning behind his recent discovery. Elena and Rebekah engage in a mean-girl power struggle, until Rebekah finally reveals some of her family's ancient secrets and the violent past she shares with Klaus and Elijah. Damon tries a reckless new approach to make a breakthrough with Stefan, and they're both surprised by an unlikely ally.
Alaric deciphers some of the names carved into the cave wall, including depictions of a werewolf that pre-dates the Lockwoods. There are names, Niklaus, Elijah and Rebekah, mentioned in a Viking script. Flashback to Ye Olde times, Rebekah carving in the stone and Klaus complaining. They are both afraid of their father.
- Antagonist: Mikael.
- This is the first episode of The Originals Chapter.
- Jeremy, Caroline, Matt and Tyler don't appear in this episode.
- We learn that Rebekah was the first to drink human blood after turning thus becoming the first vampire
- Elijah returns in this episode. It is the first time since As I Lay Dying that he was seen, although it's in a flashback. And the episode number "8" is the anniversary of Elijah's first appearance on the show which was Season 2's eighth episode Rose.
- This is the second flashback episode this season.
- A majority of the main cast do not appear in this episode, due to flashbacks being shown. This is a common occurrence throughout the series.
- Mikael's origins are explained in this episode and his relationship with Klaus is also shown.
- This episode had 3.51 million viewers in the U.S. making it the most watched episode of Season 3.
- Mason Lockwood and Lexi were both mentioned by Damon. They were last seen in Ghost World.
- Alaric's apartment was last seen in The Hybrid.
- Shelia Bennett was mentioned by Alaric. She was last seen in Ghost World.
- Rebekah states that one can be a witch or a vampire, but not both.
- Klaus returns in this episode, also in the flashback scenes. He was last seen in The Reckoning.
- In this episode there was flashback from the 10th century.
- The title, "Ordinary People " is a reference to a 1980's movie about a family torn apart when a son dies.
- "Liar, liar pants on fire" is a common playground taunt.
- Damon refers to "A Christmas Carol " when he mentions Mason Lockwood's ghost. It's a book by Charles Dickens in which a sour and stingy man is visited by ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.
- "Saint Stefan" is credited with being catholic church's first martyr. He was stoned to death by Saul de Tarsus, who after conversion is known as Saint Paul. Damon always said that Stefan was a martyr.
- Damon asks Stefan how he got so good at a drinking game. This drinking game is probably "Pennies ", where players try to flip coins into a whiskey glass. What happen when the player lands his coin on the glass, or when he misses depends on the variation they are playing.
- The whole episode is a great example of Troubled Backstory Flashback, that shows the Original's Dark and Troubled Past. This puts an end on the Original's Mysterious Past and maybe give them some Freudian Excuse for being as they are.
- Elijah: "Look, our sister's arrived."
- Damon: "I got this, Elena."
- Damon: "I happen to like the edge, Stefan. Your problem is your inability to resist falling over it."
- Elena: "What is all this?"
- Alaric: "Names. Written in Viking script."
- Elena: "These are the names of the Original family?"
- Damon: "Bang. You're dead."
- Elena: "I think that you're going to be the one to save him from himself. It won't be because he loves me. It'll be because he loves you. Can I tell you the rest tomorrow?"
- Damon: "Sure."
- Rebekah: "Why are you doing this to me? I've done nothing to you."
- Elena: "Klaus killed your mother. He has a hold on you, on me, on everyone. He has for 1000 years, we have to make it stop!"
- Rebekah: "Shut up! Just shut up! Don't talk anymore! Nothing!"
- Klaus (Talking about Mikael): "He will find out. He always does."
- Rebekah: "That is because you always tell him."
- Klaus: "I cannot help it. He frightens me."
- Rebekah: "He frightens us all."
- Elena: "Mikael, as in the vampire hunter who knows how to kill Klaus?"
- Damon: "Yep. And I like to call him papa original."
- Rebekah: "You. Goody."
- Elena: "I was hoping we could talk."
- Rebekah: "About what? Stefan? Don't worry. I'm off him until he starts treating me better. In fact, you should probably take a page out of my book if I'm being honest."
- Elena: "She's going to tell me. She's scared of him, Damon. I saw her face. I just have to engage in a little mean-girl power struggle first."
- Damon: "Make sure she doesn't power struggle you into a wheelchair."
- Alaric: "Are you okay?"
- Bonnie: "Been better."
- Alaric: "Listen, Jeremy is an idiot, and I know this with certainty because I was once a Jeremy. Trust me. We learn eventually."
- Rebekah (to Elena about why her mother didn't change): "A witch is nature's servant. A vampire is an abomination of nature. You can either be one or the other, never both."
- Damon (to Elena): "I went behind your back. I freed Stefan. And you know what? It backfired. He's an even bigger dick than ever. It's just, now, he's a dick that's on our side."
- Elena (to Damon about Rebekah): "She's just a girl. She loves blindly and recklessly even if it consumes her. And when it's all said and done, there's nothing more important than the bond of family."
- Damon: "You should tell it to my brother."
- Stefan: "It's precision born out of tragic boredom."
- Damon: "All that effort wasted trying to tell you how boring you were and you finally agree with me?"
- Rebekah (to Elena): "Make no mistake, if you come after my brother, I will rip you apart. And I get my temper from my father."