| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's Nina Dobrev article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the The Vampire Diaries Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
|“||I think people should be with the person who makes them smile. The minute you’re not smiling anymore, you shouldn’t be in the relationship. That’s what you figure out by having good or bad experiences with boyfriends and finding out what qualities you like and don’t like in a person. It’s part of growing up and learning. You should always be with the people who make you feel happiest.||”|
— Nina Dobrev in the October 2012 issue of Seventeen magazine
Nikolina Konstantinova Dobreva (Bulgarian: Николина Константинова Добрева, born January 9, 1989) is a Bulgarian-Canadian actress who plays Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce on The Vampire Diaries. She is perhaps best known for her role as Mia Jones in Degrassi: The Next Generation. Dobrev has also been featured in movies.
Nina Dobrev was born on January 9, 1989 in Sofia, Bulgaria as Nikolina Konstantinova Dobreva (Bulgarian: Николина Константинова Добрева). Her father Konstantin is a computer specialist and her mother Michaela is an artist. She has an older brother, Alexander. Her cousin, Jeny Nikolova, is a model in Canada. Nina moved to Canada at the age of two and has lived in Toronto, Ontario until 2009.
From a very young age she showed great enthusiasm and talent for the arts of dance, gymnastics, theatre, music, visual arts, and acting. Modeling jobs led to commercials, which then turned into film auditions. Shortly after, she booked roles in feature films "Fugitive Pieces", "Away From Her" and the popular television series "Degrassi: The Next Generation" on CTV.
Nina loves to travel and has often visited Europe both for pleasure, as well as competing internationally representing Canada in Aesthetic gymnastics. She enjoys playing volleyball, soccer, swimming, rock climbing, wake boarding, snowboarding, and horse back riding. But above all acting is her passion, and she sees it as an adventure that has just begun; she believes that the journey and the characters we create along the way will help us understand ourselves.
Nina has released an album entitled "Survivor".
This is all trivial, this might not be accurate, so please be in mind, thanks for your co-operation.
- Nina is 5'6".
- Nina is a Capricorn.
- Nina is right-handed.
- Nina is very close to her family.
- Nina moved to Toronto when she was 2 years old.
- Her mother's name is Michaela, her father's is Nikolai and her brother's is Alexander.
- She's a major fan of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.
- Nina attended Wexford Collegiate, an arts school in Toronto. In 2007, she began her post secondary studies at Ryerson University in Toronto, where she was majoring in Sociology. Nina also trained at the Dean Armstrong Acting Studio in Toronto, Ontario.
- She is fluent in Bulgarian, French, and English.
- For her role as Bella in the World War II drama Fugitive Pieces, Nina had to learn Yiddish phonetically.
- Nina has competed internationally representing Canada in Aesthetic Group Gymnastics. In 2005, she joined both the Senior World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark and the Junior World Championships in Plzen, Czech Republic.
- Nina is named after her grandmother.
- Her trademarks are her big brown eyes and long, dark hair.
- She is close friends with her Vampire Diaries co-stars. Her BFF is Candice Accola.
- She began dating her TVD co-star, Ian Somerhalder in 2010. Despite a rumored break-up in May 2013, there has been no confirmation of such.
- Nina was never a cheerleader, yet she has played a character who is or has been a cheerleader at least twice.
- Mia Jones, Nina's character on Degrassi was a cheerleader who was later forced off of Degrassi's Spirit Squad by the team captain who resented her for being an unwed mother.
- Elena Gilbert, Nina's character on The Vampire Diaries, was a cheerleader who quit the squad before the beginning of the series after the deaths of her adoptive parents, Greyson and Miranda Gilbert. This information was revealed to the audience in flashbacks. In the season 4 episode Bring It On, Damon convinces Caroline to give Elena her old position on the squad back in hopes that she will turn her humanity back on. The attempt backfires miserably when Elena goes to a cheerleading competiton, and feeds on an opposing squad member, then compells her to hand over her hair ribbon. Elena gets into a fight with Caroline about the ribbon, and is told she cannot compete but does so anyway, later stepping out of the bottom of the team's pyramid and causing Caroline to fall.
- Is a fan of Twilight, and even auditioning for the role of Bella Swan, before landing the role of Elena Gilbert.
|2006||Repo! The Genetic Opera|
|Away from Her|
|2007||How She Move|
|Too Young to Marry|
|My Daughter’s Secret|
|2008||Never Cry Werewolf|
|The American Mall|
|2009||Degrassi Goes Hollywood|
|Degrassi: The Next Generation|
|The Vampire Diaries||Elena Gilbert|
|2012||The Perks of Being a Wallflower|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Breakout Star Female||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress Fantasy/Sci-Fi||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2010||J-14 Teen Icon Awards||Iconic TV Actress||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress Fantasy/Sci-Fi||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Hottie Female||-||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Vampire||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2012||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Drama Actress||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actress Fantasy/Sci-Fi||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2012||San Diego Film Critics Society Awards||Best Ensamble Performance||The Perks of Being a Wallflower||Won|
|2013||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Dramatic TV Actress||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|