|“||In a moment of weakness you eat chocolate or kiss the wrong boy. You don't jump off a clock tower.||”|
Nadia Petrova (Bulgarian: Надя Петрова) was a major recurring character of The Vampire Diaries. She was a vampire and a member of The Travelers who was Katerina Petrova's daughter, making her an ancestor of Elena Gilbert and a descendant of Amara. Although most of Nadia's life is unknown, she revealed that she had spent the last 500 years searching for her mother; it also wasn't known from which Original's sire line she attained her vampirism, though it would be fair to assume that it came from the still-surviving Originals (Elijah, Klaus or Rebekah). She was seemingly not very well accustomed to modern American culture, but was more versed in past history, as she knew about the story of Silas, Amara and Qetsiyah. She also knew a great deal about Katerina's life in the past centuries, even though she had supposedly never personally met her before the events of Original Sin.
As a human, Katerina implied that she had been traumatized by the loss of her daughter, and that finding out whether she was alive or not had been of great importance to her.
Nadia was a member of the Petrova Family.
Nadia was born in 1490 in Bulgaria. Katherine begged her father to allow her to hold the child just once, but he said that she had disgraced the family, and took the child away to a new family, so that the shame would not become known.
In 1498, Nadia was only eight years old when Katherine had escaped Klaus, and found her way back to Bulgaria. Katherine searched every village and every cottage, but claimed she never managed to find Nadia.
1520In Northen Europe in 1520, Nadia, at the age of 30, was looking for her mother at someone's home. She is still either human or a relatively-new vampire.
She was willing to pay a man in France in the year 1720 about information regarding her mother's whereabouts. This was apparently because he had witnessed Katherine killing a man just outside the Court of Versaille.
Little was known about Nadia's personality when she was a witch. It can be assumed that she was loving and loyal. The motive of her choice to become a vampire was to give herself the strength and immortality to fulfill her goal of finding her mother. After more than 500 years, they were finally reunited.
Nadia was initially described as an emotional and beautiful 20-something who had traveled the world on a mission to finally track down her mother, Katerina Petrova, in the hopes of establishing a relationship. After 500 years of searching, Nadia finally found her. She was a member of the Travelers until she became a vampire and lost her magical powers, but it was implied that she continued to spend time maintain relationships with Travelers even after she was turned. Like her mother, it's difficult to know who Nadia truly loved. Nadia killed Gregor, who was thought to be her lover; although Gregor's spirit was still contained in Matt's body, his physical body was dead. Still, when Katherine ultimately killed Gregor permanently by stabbing Matt with the Passenger-killing knife, Nadia was incredibly upset and felt betrayed, suggesting she did have some feelings for him, even after he revealed his mission to kill Katherine. On the other hand, both Nadia and Katherine had their good sides—even though they were ruthless from the outside, when they met each other, they showed their softer sides as mother and daughter.
Uncommon for Vampires, Nadia also exhibited a penchant for brandishing guns when strong-arming someone.
Physical AppearanceNadia Petrova was a young strikingly beautiful woman with brown curly hair and deep brown eyes with dark thick lashes, She bared some resemblance to her mother Katherine Pierce (Katerina Petrova), sharing her brown curly hair, oval shaped face with fine bone structure and large almond-shaped brown eyes. She didn't wear a lot of makeup, aside from smokey eyes and glossed lips, as her beautiful face showed off her natural beauty.
She had a keen eye for sensually cut and stylish clothing, much like her mother, and was usually seen wearing gray, white and black tops, leather jackets, and tight-fitting pants or jeans (usually black or grey), all of which were usually pared with high-heeled boots. </tabber>
Powers and Abilities
Nadia possessed all standard powers and abilities of a human/witch. When she became a vampire and lost her witch powers.
Nadia possessed all the standard powers and abilities of a non-Original vampire. Being over 500 years old, she was a very strong and powerful vampire in her own right. This was best demonstrated when she defeated Elena Gilbert twice with ease. The first time, she threw Elena, who was attempting to restrain her, off before going after Katherine; the second time was when she sneaked up behind Elena and snapped her neck. In both those times however, Elena was only a vampire for only a year and therefore much weaker than Nadia. However, Damon was able to reverse her grip of him and even pin her after she tried to coerce him.
Nadia had the typical weaknesses of a human/witch.
Nadia had the typical weaknesses of a non-original vampire.
- "Nadia, letting my father rip you out of my arms, it was the biggest regret of my life. I should've fought harder to keep you, but I didn't. So, I spent the last 500 years making sure that I'd never make that mistake again. I fought for everything, and in the process, I had a long, full life. And, I got to know my beautiful daughter. You spent the last centuries searching for me, don't waste another minute on me. It's your turn to live."
- —Katerina to Nadia
Nadia Petrova is the daughter of Katerina Petrova. Katherine gave birth to Nadia back in 1490, but Nadia was taken from her before Katherine even got the chance to hold her. When Katherine returned to Bulgaria after being exiled to England and escaping Niklaus Mikaelson, she found that he killed her entire family and was devastated. She then began her search for her daughter who was 8 years old at the time, but to no avail, she was unable to find her. Over the years, Nadia was turned into a vampire, learning the story of her mother and searching for her for 500 years. When they met again, Nadia introduced herself and began to test Katherine, telling her she killed her mother in Paris. Katherine saw through this lie and Nadia revealed she did kill her mother, only in 1492 in England after she was exiled by her family. Katherine is shocked to learn that Nadia is her long-lost daughter, and despite her conflicting feelings, she pushed Nadia away after learning of her impending death. Nadia was angered and clearly upset at her mother's attitude and actions towards her, and resented that she seemingly cared more about earning Stefan's forgiveness than her own. However, despite her anger, she wished Katherine would desire to live longer, and was conflicted between her anger at her for wishing to give up her life, or to be at her side.
Gregor was Nadia's boyfriend until she betrayed him by killing his physical body. She put his soul into Matt's body by the use of a Passenger spell and communicated with him through Matt's body. Shortly before her death, Nadia hallucinated that Gregor was before her, and she asked for his forgiveness when she was dying.
- Nadia (Bulgarian: Надя) is a feminine name of Ukranian origin (Надія) and a diminutive of the Slavic name Nadezhda (Надежда); both mean "hope" or "hopeful". It is a name found in various forms in Poland, Bulgaria, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, and other Slavic countries.
- Petrova is the feminine version of Petrov and is a very common surname in both Russia and Bulgaria. It is derived from the first name Pyotr (Пётр, Russian) or Petar (Петър, Bulgarian), which both are equivalent to English Peter.
- She was from Czechoslovakia, now know as Czech Republic/Slovakia, and spoke Czech when summoning Gregor from within Matt's body.
- Nadia, Katherine, The Originals, Stefan, and Silas are the only characters known to speak languages other than English and Latin.
- Nadia is one of only ten recurring characters that appeared in more than 10 episodes in their inaugural season. The other nine are Annabelle, who appeared in 11 episodes during Season One; Elijah Mikaelson, who appeared in 12 episodes during Season Two; Rebekah Mikaelson, who appeared in 17 episodes during Season Three; Atticus Shane who appeared in 11 episodes during Season Four; Wes Maxfield & Enzo, who appeared in 12 episodes each in Season Five; Josette Laughlin & Malachai Parker who appeared in 17 and 16 episodes respectively in Season Six and Rayna Cruz who appeared in 13 episodes in Season Seven.
- She was a member of The Travelers, though she claimed she never considered herself one, most likely due to her being a vampire. Both her father and her grandfather also belonged to the Travelers.
- She is the first character to share a kiss with someone of the same gender, implying she might be bisexual. Though she may have just done that to steal from them.
- She is also the first character to engage in an on-screen threesome (which she shared with Matt and Rebekah)
- Nadia may have had a child before she turned, to continue the Petrova line, as Katherine's entire family was massacred by Niklaus. This would make her an ancestor of both Isobel Flemming and her daughter Elena Gilbert, though there is no confirmation of this.
- She was very protective over her mother, Katerina, even going as far to suggest that Katherine be a Passenger in her body to keep her alive.
- As of Total Eclipse of the Heart, all the main characters knew that Nadia is Katherine's daughter.
- Damon called her 'the Devil's spawn;' this is most likely a reference to the fact that she's the daughter of Katherine, one of the main antagonists of the series as a whole.
- Nadia was the first vampire shown to die naturally from a werewolf bite, rather than being mercy-killed before they went crazy with bloodlust; she was also on of three vampires who have died as a result of a werewolf or hybrid bite, either directly or indirectly. Rose and Will were both killed by Damon before the bite could kill them.
- Nadia, Rose, and Will are the only known vampires who have not had their werewolf/hybrid bite cured by Niklaus Mikaelson's blood.
- Nadia was the last supernatural being to cross over to the Other Side before the Travelers resurrected Markos, although this was on-screen.
- Nadia was one of the few people to ever refer to or call her mother (Katherine) by her given name (Katerina); the others are Elijah, Klaus, Rose and Trevor.
- Through her own admission, Nadia was the only person who truly loved Katherine.
- Unlike Katherine, Nadia never took the surname Pierce.
- Katherine preferred to die and see her daughter one last time than to run away again.
- Since the Other Side collapsed, it is most likely she either found peace or was sucked into oblivion.
- In a deleted scene from Season Five, Katherine actually reveals that Nadia's father was a Traveler as well and he taught her about tarot readings and unpossessing people with Travelers in them.
- Nadia (to Silas) : "That's what the Travelers have always wanted."
- Nadia (to Silas) : "Luckily for you, I've never really considered myself one. I know you can see inside my mind... and I have my own agenda."
- - True Lies
- Nadia (to Silas) : "Look, Silas. This phone is prepaid, and I don't have a lot of minutes."
- Nadia (to Silas) : "You saw him bleed out. You buried his body yourself."
- Nadia (to Silas) : "If this is the game, it's boring."
- Nadia (to Silas) : "Fine. Say Matt is still alive. What if he could help us to find Katherine Pierce? She's still your priority, is she not?"
- Nadia (to Matt) : "I'm here to keep you safe from Silas."
- Nadia (to Matt) : "I know that he still wants you dead. You're going to need to trust me, okay?"
- Nadia (to Gregor) : "Vyjít. (Come forth.) Gregor"
- Nadia (to Gregor) : "Gregor, I'm sorry, but Silas was going to kill you. Doing it myself was the only way to salvage the deal. I need his trust."
- Nadia (to Gregor) : "You knew the stakes. It is why we put you inside the person with the invincibility ring."
- Nadia (to Gregor) : "I will find a way to make this permanent, Gregor, because I love you, okay? And I will do anything, anything for you."
- Nadia (to Gregor) : "Okay... but first, you will have to dial your friend Elena Gilbert and find out where Katherine is."
- Nadia (to Elena) : "I told her to pour him a drink or I'd kill her."
- Nadia (to Elena & Katherine) : "Which one of you is Katherine Pierce?"
- Nadia (to Elena) : "Katherine is a compulsive liar... but I need her alive."
- Nadia (to Elena & Katherine) : "You really do look exactly alike."
- Nadia (to Katherine) : "Do I have to knock you out, too?"
- Nadia (to Katherine) : "Ask me again, and I'll sew your mouth shut."
- - Original Sin