|“||Mystic falls. I was born here. This is my home. And mine. And mine. For centuries, supernatural creatures have lived amongst us. Vampires, werewolves, doppelgangers, witches, and even hybrids.||”|
— Main Characters in Growing Pains
Mystic Falls is a picturesque town located in southwestern Virginia. Aside from the town's foundation in 1859 (in the series timeline) by the Founding Families, the town also has a long history of vampires, witches and werewolves, causing Mystic Falls to be an uncanny village with a dark secret. Many famous historical occurrences have taken place in Mystic Falls.
The Founder's Council
- Main article: Town Council
The Founders Council is an association of the Founding Families, town people descended from the original settlers of Mystic Falls, as well as various municipal officials. Outwardly, it appears to be a civic organization dedicated to celebrating local history. Secretly, the council's mission is to protect the town from supernatural beings, especially vampires. Journals written by members of the Founding Families describing vampires and how to catch and kill them are passed down through subsequent generations.
- Elizabeth Forbes (outed in Season 3)
- Damon Salvatore (outed in Season 3)
- Meredith Fell (outed in Season 3)
- Rudy Hopkins (as of Season 4, deceased)
- Carol Lockwood (outed in Season 3, deceased)
- Alaric Saltzman (deceased)
- John Gilbert (deceased)
- Richard Lockwood (deceased)
- Brian Walters (deceased)
- Bill Forbes (deceased)
- Zach Salvatore (deceased)
- Grayson Gilbert (deceased)
- Miranda Gilbert (deceased)
- Mason Lockwood (deceased)
- Main article: Media in Mystic Falls
The Mystic Falls Daily is the local daily newspaper in Mystic Falls.
- WPKW9 is the major network television affiliate where Logan Fell worked as field reporter for the newscast and Brady works in tech.
- Andie Star was also a local newscaster for WPKW9.
- Main Article: Mystic Falls, VA
- Founder's Party and Heritage Display (seen in Family Ties)
- Founder's Day Fundraiser and Bachelor Raffle (seen in A Few Good Men)
- Founder's Day Kick-Off Party (seen in Under Control)
- Miss Mystic Falls Pageant (seen in Miss Mystic Falls and My Brother's Keeper)
- Founder's Day Celebration (seen in Founder's Day)
- Mystic Falls Historical Society Volunteer Day (seen in Kill or Be Killed)
- Due to legal conflict, the town was named Mystic Falls, instead of Fell's Church in the novels.
- Mystic Falls is located between Lynchburg, Virginia and Charlottesville, Virginia according to the map on episode Rose.
- Mystic Falls is the place where vampires were created over a thousand years ago.
- Mystic Falls is the place where werewolves have resided for more than a thousand years.
- Mystic Falls is the birthplace of most of The Originals.
- Mystic Falls High School was built on a land that was once an Indian village.
- The town square is where the natives gathered to worship when The Originals were still humans.