|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 4, Episode 7|
|Air date||November 29, 2012|
|Written by||Caroline Dries & Elisabeth R. Finch|
|Directed by||Jeffrey Hunt|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes
We’ll Always Have Bourbon Street
THE MISS MYSTIC FALLS PAGEANT — Caroline does her best to be there for Stefan and Elena in a tough time. Damon tries to convince Stefan to help him to uncover Professor Shane’s motives, but Stefan is intent on carrying out a different plan with Klaus. At the annual Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, Elena and Caroline give April advice on which dress to wear while Tyler and Hayley work together on a secret project and Damon confronts Professor Shane with his suspicions. Alarmed by the vivid nightmares he’s having, Jeremy turns to Matt for help, but the situation escalates sooner than anyone expected.
The episode starts with Caroline making arrangements for the Miss Mystic Falls pageant while talking to Stefan on her phone. She asks him to attend the event while he does not want to as he has just broken up with Elena. Caroline tries to convince him and Stefan tells her that Elena confessed to him about having feelings for Damon. Caroline is shocked and says she will try and talk some sense in to Elena. Stefan says it will not be of use as Elena is a different person now that she is a vampire to which Caroline replies that it is all the more reason for them to find the cure. Elena can be seen walking towards Caroline at this point and Caroline hangs up the phone asking Stefan to be careful.
As soon as Stefan cuts the call, Klaus grabs him from behind, strangling his neck for telling everyone about the cure. Stefan assures him that whoever knows about the cure will not endanger them and that he wants to find it more than anyone else. Klaus tells him to find more vampires for Jeremy to kill so the Hunter's Mark can grow and to keep this a secret or he will be tempted to offer Stefan instead.
Stefan is seen stepping out of the Salvatore house when Damon asks him where he has been and where is he going. Stefan answers vaguely leading to Damon to comment 'I see shady Stefan is back'. He asks Stefan if he is still working with Klaus to which Stefan replies by telling Damon about the breakup with Elena. Damon doesn't react and changes the subject by telling Stefan that to get to the cure, the hunter's map needs to be completed by killing enough vampires. He suggests that they find another hunter unless they want Jeremy to follow in Connor's footsteps. He also tells Stefan that he thought of going to Prof. Shane but there is something fishy. Matt discovered several phone calls made by Pastor Young to Prof. Shane on the day the Pastor blew up the council. He asks if Stefan wants to join him in asking Prof. Shane what is going on. Stefan refuses to come along. Damon changes the subject again & offers to go with him drinking if he needs some quality time. To this Stefan replies "Let's not pretend like this isn't the best day of your life" and leaves.
At the event Caroline asks Elena if she is sure this is what she wants, calling Stefan her soul mate. Elena tells her that it's not that she does not love Stefan anymore, it's just her feelings for Damon have heightened since she turned and she couldn't lie to Stefan about it anymore. Caroline tells her Stefan is heartbroken. They are interrupted by Prof. Shane who is looking for the judges table and Caroline points him towards the parlor. Elena mentions that he is the one who told Damon how to break the hunter's curse and Caroline adds that he is also helping Bonnie get her powers back. They both think there is something fishy about him.
Matt & Jeremy are unloading beer kegs. Matt is Elena's date and Jeremy is April's escort - she is participating in the contest. Jeremy surprises Matt by picking 2 heavy kegs together and says that ever since he has been awakened as a hunter he feels stronger. Matt warns him that all this energy will want him to kill vampires and he lives with one. Meanwhile, Stefan is shown in the hospital searching through rooms till he comes across a ruthless killer who is admitted there. He compels the guard outside to take a break, feeds the convict his blood then kills him.
Caroline is running things at the event when Klaus arrives and asks her what time to pick her up for the event. She is reluctant till he reminds her that she promised him a date in return of his hybrid. She gives in. Hayley is trying to get another one of Klaus's hybrids, Kim, to turn and break the sire bond when Tyler comes to tell her that Caroline has bought them one more day by keeping Klaus busy at the event. Tyler does not want to go to the event, but Hayley convinces him to take her. Jeremy had a nightmare about killing Elena and wakes up with a knife and a stake in his hand. He later tells Matt that he doesn't know how it got there and maybe he is going crazy like Alaric. Matt tells him it must be because he is a hunter and that if Jeremy doesn't tell Elena, he will. He gets a message from Stefan to come to the Lockwood cellar and tell no one about it and so he leaves.
Elena and Caroline are helping April choose her dress for the pageant. They tell her to wear the blue while Damon arrives asking for Prof. Shane and tells April to wear the red dress. Caroline disagrees. Damon asks Elena and she changes her opinion to say red. Caroline cannot understand why Elena suddenly changed her mind. Elena goes after Damon and tells him that they need to talk. He tells her he knows about the break-up but does not know the reason. Elena answers in a single word "you". Before Damon has a chance to react they are interrupted by Prof. Shane and Damon leaves with him reluctantly. He asks Prof. Shane for the name of another hunter. When the Prof. says he cannot help, Damon asks him why he is here and about his phone calls to the pastor the day the council was blown up. The Prof. doesn't answer and leaves. Matt tells Elena about Jeremy's nightmares. The pageant starts. Jeremy is missing so Matt steps in for him as April's escort. During the dance, Damon & Elena share a look remembering their dance the year before. Jeremy is at the Lockwood cellar, where Stefan bites his hand and feeds his blood to the convict, turning the convict in to a vampire. He asks Jeremy to kill the vampire and Jeremy does. He tries to compel Jeremy to tell him how much the hunter's mark has grown, but Jeremy refuses to tell him and stakes him in the stomach saying he can no longer be compelled.
Elena & Caroline are worried about Jeremy when Damon arrives. Elena tells them about Jeremy's nightmares. Damon asks her not worry and let it go while he goes to find Jeremy. Damon calls Stefan to confirm if he took Jeremy to kill vampires & asks him to leave it alone. Caroline is angry with Elena for listening to Damon and they have a fight. Klaus steps in and takes Caroline away for a drink. Caroline is wondering what is wrong with Elena and Klaus says she'll figure it out. They sit on a bench alone and share a cute moment. Tyler is looking at them from afar and is jealous. Damon later notices Prof. Shane & Hayley sharing a drink and asks Tyler to find out what is going on. Jeremy arms himself with stakes and goes to look for Elena. He meets April on the way & tells her that her father & the council were doing good for the town and that they died heroes.
Damon corners Prof. Shane to ask for another hunter's name again & threatens to kill him. Prof. tells him that even if they get the map & the cure, the cure has to be opened by a spell by a Bennett witch and Damon needs him alive to get Bonnie's powers back. Damon lets him go. April is crowned Miss Mystic Falls. Meanwhile, Elena follows Jeremy in to a room where they fight and he attacks her with a stake in the neck. She is rescued by Stefan & Matt who takes Jeremy away. Tyler and Hayley share a drink and he asks her if she knows Prof. Shane. She denies knowing him. They see Caroline & Klaus share another sweet moment.
Stefan tells Elena it's his fault that Jeremy is feeling this growing urge to kill vampires. He confesses he has asked Jeremy to kill vampires and this angers Elena. She says she doesn't want the cure at the cost of Jeremy's humanity. Stefan tells her they need to fix things to which she tells him that the old Elena died in the accident and he needs to accept that she has changed and needs to let go. Stefan sees Damon walking towards them and leaves.
Jeremy is packing to leave when Matt comes & tells him he is moving in with him to keep the hunter thing in check. Elena has moved out. She is shown at the Salvatore house. Stefan asks her to pick a room and leaves to crash someplace else for the night, leaving Damon & Elena alone at home. Kim, the hybrid, has broken the sire bond and Tyler texts Hayley to tell her. She is shown talking to Prof. Shane telling him that another sire bond is broken and asks him to leave Tyler out when things go down. Hayley is revealed to be secretly working with Shane and that he wants all the hybrids free from their sire bonds for what's to come. Damon and Elena share a drink and she tells him that she wanted to dance with him today. He asks her for a dance - they slow dance and kiss. After this they have sex.
Stefan and Caroline are talking about how things are with Elena and Caroline asks Stefan not to give up. They talk about the cure and Caroline wonders why Klaus needs it. When Stefan mentions that Klaus needs the cure for Elena to be human again to sire more hybrids, it strikes Caroline why Elena has been listening to everything Damon says. They deduce that because Damon told Elena that she could not drink from anywhere but the vein, she has been rejecting all other blood sources. They realize Elena killed Connor because Damon asked her to and that she is agreeing to everything Damon says because she is sired to him. It was his blood that created her as a vampire. The episode ends with a hot steamy love making scene between Damon and Elena.
- Antagonists: Atticus Shane and Jeremy Gilbert.
- This is the first and only episode to date to feature Jeremy as an antagonist.
- Elena finally tells Damon how she feels for him and they make love to each other in this episode for the first time.
- This is the first episode shown where Stefan turns a human into a vampire.
- Caroline's date is Klaus because she convinced him to sacrifice one of his hybrids in order to stop Elena's hallucinations by agreeing to go on a date with Klaus. In the end, she seems to enjoy it.
- Tyler's date is Hayley.
- Damon reveals himself as a vampire to Professor Shane, though Damon assumes that Shane already knew.
- Caroline urges Stefan to keep finding the cure for Elena.
- Jeremy attacks Elena and Stefan.
- This is the only time Jeremy tries to kill his sister/cousin Elena.
- Stefan and Caroline make an important discovery (Elena's sire bond to Damon).
- April is chosen to be the new Miss Mystic Falls, thus taking Caroline's crown.
- Hayley is revealed to be secretly working with Shane and that he wants all the hybrids free from their sire bonds for what's to come.
- Jeremy makes his second kill as a vampire hunter.
- Matt moves in with Jeremy, Elena moves in with Damon and Stefan moves in with Caroline.
- This episode Klaus revealed the only time he wanted to be human.
- Bonnie does not appear in this episode.
- This is the first time that Susan Walters is credited as a Guest Star, instead of a Co-Star.
- Unidentified hospital patient - killed by Jeremy Gilbert.
- Kimberley complains why the transformations have to be so painful!
- Unlike Tyler who always looses his clothes during transformation, Kimberly got to keep her Magic Pants (just like Hulk!)
- By wearing the Red Dress, April presents herself like a sexy woman, instead of a child. Her dress follows all the tradition to the dot: it's strapless, long, slinky and very flattering . It's supposed to make her three times sexier than any other women around. This may be the reason why Caroline did not want her to wear red, and why Damon recommended it. A more traditional approach would be for her to wear Pink .
- A Blue Dress is supposed to represent femininity, a sign that she is fair and gentle. Blue represents serenity, peace, calmness - but it could also represent loneliness and sadness. That may be the reason April does not want to wear blue.
- Although long dresses are the norm at an event like this, Caroline, Elena and Hayley all wear Form Fitting Clothes .
- The title comes from a Bible Quotation: after Cain kills his brother Abel, God asks Cain where is his brother. He answers: "I know not. Am I my brother's keeper ?"
- It is also the title of a 1953 novel written by Marcia Davenport, loosely inspired on the true story of the Collyer Brothers. Both were found dead inside their home on 5th Avenue, that was filled with tons of books, furniture, musical instruments that both collected during their lives. According to diaries that were found in the house, both were attracted by the same opera singer, and when she became pregnant, she could not tell who was the father. Bit by bit they withdraw to a life of bitterness and resentment against each other.
- Caroline is Stefan's Sober Sponsor, as if he were on a 12 Step Program like Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Damon invites Stefan to Brother bond over some Tri Delts—meaning Sorority Girls .
- Elena calls Shane a Jack of All Trades: someone who has many skills and is able to bring different disciplines together in a practical manner.
- This will be the return of the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant, first and last featured in the Season One episode, Miss Mystic Falls.
- This marks fifty-three episodes between the two events, coinciding roughly with one year of time.
- It is mentioned several times that Caroline is the reigning Miss Mystic Falls.
- Two mirror scenes from Season One:
- When Elena is at the top of the stairs and Damon, at the bottom, looks up at her.
- When Jeremy is not there, Matt replaces him, using the same phrase Damon used: "I got this".
- Despite Caroline affirming that "Damon is always wrong", he was right that Elena wore the blue dress last year and lost the contest. He suggests the red dress - and April wins the crown.
- Damon tells Shane he is looking for a Hunter for companionship, a drinking buddy. It's a double reference to Alaric "hunter by day, vampire hunter by night'" or later in the series "vampire hunter/drinking buddy".
- Elena tells Stefan her old self died at Wickery Bridge. In Our Town, after Stefan almost turned her into a vampire, Elena came to the conclusion she had to let the "old Elena" go.
- Carol was last seen in The Rager.
- The break-up between Elena and Stefan is mentioned by Stefan (twice).
- Pastor Young was mentioned by Damon (4 times) and Jeremy (once). He was last seen in Growing Pains when he and the rest of the Council have died from the explosion (also Damon mentioned it twice and it was once mentioned by Jeremy).
- Connor was mentioned by Matt, Damon Jeremy, Elena and Stefan. He was last seen in We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes as a hallucination.
- Alaric was mentioned by Jeremy. He was last seen in Memorial as a ghost.
- A member of The Five carving the symbol of the brotherhood into a stake was last seen in The Rager.
- April is seen wearing Jeremy's vervain bracelet in this episode. It was first seen in The Killer when Jeremy gave it to her.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Atticus's Office
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 2.86 million viewers in the USA which was 0.02 million more than the previous episode.
- This episode aired after a one week hiatus for Thanksgiving, after We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes.
- Behind-the-scenes and sneak peek footage of Olympian Gabby Douglas's guest spot.
- Gabby Douglas is one of the attendees messing with the floral arrangements.
- This episode's name is the same name of a scene from Freddy vs Jason.
- Damon: "Where've you been?
- Stefan: "Oh, you know. Out."
- Damon: "Where you going?"
- Stefan: "Out."
- Damon: "Okay. I see shady Stefan's back. Please don't tell me that you're still working with Klaus?"
- Stefan: "You obviously haven't heard. Elena and I broke up."
- Damon: "Oh. Got it. Well, I'll be quick then. So apparently if we want to find the cure, we have to find a vampire hunter who can kill enough vampires to reveal the map on the hunters mark. Now unless we want Jeremy to go all Connor 2.0, I suggest we find a different hunter."
- Stefan: "Okay. And...?"
- Damon: "And I was gonna ask Professor Shane, but turns out he is shadier then you are. Matt Donovan connected him and the Pastor through phone records. Apparently, the two were very chatty the day that the Pastor blew up the Council."
- Stefan: "Ah, so you're gonna confront Shane, threaten him, possibly kill him? That sort of thing."
- Damon: "Yeah, unless he tells me what is he up to. What do you say? Should we tag team this?"
- Stefan: "No, I'd say you're on your own."
- Damon: "Why won't you just blow it off, man? Go get drunk. Brother bond over some Tri-Delts? If you... you know ...want some quality time?"
- Stefan: "Let's not pretend like this isn't the best day of your life."
- Klaus: "Now, how did I know I would find you at the helm of the ship?"
- Caroline: "Go away, I'm busy."
- Klaus: "I was wondering what time I should pick you up tomorrow."
- Caroline: "How about a quarter to never?"
- Klaus: "I was promised a date in return for one of my hybrids."
- Caroline: "Yes, a date, like to a movie where we don't have to talk and I can put at least three seats between us."
- Klaus: "Surely the reigning Miss Mystic Falls won't be hosting the party alone and I assume you are not taking Tyler. Not after his indiscretion with his lady werewolf friend."
- Caroline: "Fine. If you insist on coming, meet me here. 2 pm. Black tie optional. And I already have a dress. So don't even think of getting me so much as a corsage. You understand?"
- Klaus (Klaus nods): "I'll see you tomorrow, Caroline."
- Elena (About the breakup): "So he didn't tell you why."
- Damon: "But I'm sure it has to do something with you acting weird. So why don't you tell me?"
- Elena: "You."
- Caroline (to Klaus): "You're perfect... which is beyond annoying I can't even look at you."
- Klaus (reading Caroline's application): "Obviously we found a shortage of words ending in -spire."
- Elena: "Thanks"
- Damon: "I was being polite, I thought you hated whiskey."
- Elena: "My brother wants to kill me"
- Damon: "Welcome to the club."
- Elena: "Jeremy can't live with me, Stefan wants to fix me and Caroline flat out admitted that she doesn't like me this way. I think it's safe to say that I'm not so great at this whole vampire thing."
- Damon:: "You want to know what I think? I think I've never seen you more alive."
- Elena: "That dance they did today, kinda reminded me when ..."
- Damon: "When we danced together?"
- Elena: "I wanted to dance with you today."
- Title -