UNNATURAL ALLIANCES — After accusing Klaus of doing nothing while their control over the Quarter crumbles, Elijah makes a move to take matters into his own hands. He receives an intriguing offer of support from Francesca, a beautiful woman from a powerful New Orleans family. In an attempt to bring the warring factions of the city together, the Mikaelsons throw an extravagant party, where Klaus offers Jackson a tempting deal, Elijah and Hayley share a dance, and a violent fight comes to a surprising end. Finally, even as Marcel works on a new path to power, he continues to help Camille deal with her Uncle Kieran's tragedy.
|begins with painting, still upset and depressed about what happened in the City of the Dead that led to Rebekah leaving. Hayley is with her werewolves in the bayou. Their curse is broken. Father Kieran is getting worse and Cami is trying to give him some medicine. Marcel is looking out over the city that was once under his control. Genevieve, the witch that revealed Rebekahs deceit and treachery, comes to watch Klauspaint, and they get very friendly. Vampires in the city are being careless while the witches are more ruthless now that they can practice magic again.
Elijah interrupts Klaus and Genevieve and kicks her out. Hes upset because shes gotten off scott free after bringing up past issues that resulted in Klaus telling Rebekah to leave. Hes also pissed that Klaus is shirking his responsibilities as leader and just wants to paint. He tells Klaus he wants this to be their home, but Klaus is making it difficult.
Father Kieran is at the meeting Elijah is having with the vampires and witches. Elijah tells them hes in charge now and rips up the paper that had Marcels rules on it. He tells them they can all play nice or get out.
In what looks like a greenhouse with lots of plants, the four young witches that came back are doing magic. They dont seem to like Davina very much, and Monique is telling her she has to find her way back to her magic.
Back in the bayou, the werewolves are in human form again and having a pecking order fight. Oliver tries to cause trouble by telling Hayley and Jackson about the meeting Elijah was having with the vampires and witches, which obviously did not include the werewolves.
Everybody is arguing at Elijahs meeting when Hayley arrives having a tantrum about the fact that Elijah didnt include the werewolves. Elijah tries to justify the omission by telling her it was because the werewolves live in the bayou and not in the city. He tells her he wants her to return home.
Klaus and Genevieve are finishing up another romp when Cami arrives and sees whats going on. She acts a little jealous and accuses Klaus of sleeping with the enemy. She asks Klaus for help with her Uncle. Klaus breaks the news that he doesnt think theres much hope for Father Kieran. Cami storms out, mad that he cant help and maybe mad that shes not in Genevieves place.
Josh is with Davina in a cafe. Shes upset and says she feels bullied by the other witches. In the shadows, where nobody can see him, Marcel watches them.
Marcel and Thierry meet. Marcel wants him to help get the vampires together to help him take their city, their home, back. Thierry tells him its going to take more than words to take the city back this time.
Father Kieran has locked himself up in the church attic because hes feeling the urge to kill. Hes going crazy just like Sean did. He tells Cami she has to leave him, but she wont. Suddenly he lunges at her and she grabs something and knocks him out.
At the bar, Elijah is having a drink when Francesca comes to introduce herself. She tells him she wants to be allies.
Back at the compound Elijah tells Klaus, but Klaus doesnt think much of it. They decide to throw a party, the best the city has ever seen. Theyll invite werewolves, witches, vampires, and humans, too.
At the party, Klaus and Elijah toast to a boring party and then join their guests.
At the party, Francesca tells Elijah she has already settled some things. He tells her that for now hell accept her proposal. Hayley arrives and immediately catches Elijahs attention.
Josh is by himself at the cafe when Marcel sits down. He tells Josh he wants Josh to help Davina become strong so she can defend herself and be safe.
At the party things start to go crazy. Davina flirts with werewolf Oliver. Diego is antagonistic toward the werewolves and tries to start a fight, but Elijah warns him and tells him to be peaceful. Elijah tells Jackson to try to keep his werewolves from causing any problems. Genevieve tells Klaus shes a little jealous of Cami, but he tells her she doesnt have anything to worry about as far as her place in his current life. Then he notices that Jackson is going upstairs.
Upstairs, Jackson discovers Klaus studio. Klaus enters and tells him he wants to give him a gift. Jackson isnt sure what to make of this. Klaus tells Jackson he wants to make him a hybrid, but Jackson isnt sure he likes the idea. Klaus tells him he wants the werewolves to return to the Quarter to protect his and Hayleys baby. He goes to his box of keepsakes and finds the ring that belonged to his real father. He shows it to Jackson and tells him the ring will keep a werewolf from turning on the full moon.
Davina stands by herself at the party when Oliver arrives to talk to her, but witchy Monique ruins the moment.
Elijah asks Hayley for a dance. As they dance to the slow song, he tells her he hopes her baby inherits all her good looks and everything. Hayley stops dancing with Elijah and starts dancing with Jackson, who tells her that she looks beautiful.
Cami is having a drink when Marcel comes and sees that shes been hurt. She tells him shes afraid of losing her Uncle Kieran. He tells her they have that in common. Lack of family.
Diego starts goading Oliver at the party and they start fighting. Elijahs breaks the fight up, then Jackson threatens Diego with a stake. Elijah holds Oliver down, but Hayleys asks him why hes stopping, just go ahead and kill Oliver.
Hayleys emotions are going crazy. She tells Elijah to kill Oliver and starts mentioning all the stuff that everybody has been doing wrong. Elijah and Jackson release Diego and Oliver.
At the greenhouse, Josh visits Davina and tells her about his life, trying to cheer her up. He sticks up for Marcel and tells her that even though he did some things wrong, Marcel really loves her and wants to help her. Josh encourages her to try her magic again. She gives it another try and brings a rose back to life. Theyre both happy and she gives Josh the rose. Kind of like the bachelorette!
Marcel and Cami, who is pretty wasted, go back to her house. She says shes tired of being alone. They start to kiss and things progress from there. Genevieve watches them using magic and a dream catcher.
After Cami and Marcel are done. Marcel sees the dream catcher. Although Cami is happy, Marcel grabs the dream catcher and busts it up because he knows what it really is and how it can be used.
Marcel meets Thierry again and Thierry agrees to join and help Marcel.
In his studio, Klaus finishes painting a picture of nighttime on Bourbon Street and the cityscape in the back. Elijah meets with the group leaders he met with before and they all sign his treaty in their blood. Father Kieran is praying in the attic as Cami watches him. In the bayou, the werewolves are celebrating. In the greenhouse, Davina sits in the middle of all the roses that are blooming. Monique is shocked when she walks in and sees them. Theyre an indication that Davina still has more power than Monique or the other four returning witches.
Jackson tells Oliver that he had a discussion with Klaus, but Oliver doesnt believe the offer. Jackson says he wants to take Klaus up on his offer and be a hybrid.
Elijah joins Klaus and Klaus signs the treaty, too. Klaus finishes his painting by painting a full moon in the middle, right over Bourbon Street.
- Antagonists: Diego, Kieran and Monique.
- Narrator: Elijah Mikaelson.
- Title meaning: A reference to Klaus' vision of New Orleans ruled by the werewolves.
- Klaus and Genevieve have become lovers during the month since Rebekah left New Orleans.
- Since Elijah revoked the vampires' privileges, open war has been declared between the vampires and the witches, and New Orleans has become a battlefield. Despite the Faction's attempts to keep the peace by using their police forces, the vampires have simply eliminated them.
- Diego has become the new leader of the vampire faction of New Orleans.
- We learn the reason why Diego hates werewolves: his family was attacked by them and he had to watch his sister die. He was saved from the same fate by Marcel finding him in time and turning him into a vampire.
- Hayley has successfully released the werewolves from their curse and has since become an integral part of their new werewolf society despite the skepticism of some members, such as Oliver, who are wary of her due to spending so much time with humans and vampires instead of werewolves.
- It's revealed that Jackson is the Alpha of his pack and doesn't need to fight for his place in the pack's hierarchy.
- Elijah becomes determined to end the war between factions and calls a peace summit between the witches and the vampires without inviting the werewolves, earning Hayley's anger.
- Klaus makes a deal with Jackson to make the werewolves the superior faction in New Orleans. He reveals that he believes that the ring his mother had given his biological father had been a means to create a moonlight rings for the werewolves much like the vampires and their daylight ring. This would allow the werewolves to choose not to turn on a Full Moon and would give them true power over all of their abilities at all times, including their bite.
- The hex on Father Kieran has grown worse, so much so that the Faction has voted to remove him as their leader. Instead, Francesca Correa, a noted philanthropist and leader of a large drug trafficking ring, has taken his place and offered an alliance with Elijah to bring peace to the city. Together, at Klaus' suggestion, they throw a party bringing all the parties together to make peace.
- After the party, Elijah, Genevieve, Diego, Hayley, and Francesca all mix their blood together and use it as the ink to sign the peace treaty between the various factions. Klaus also signs the treaty but warns Elijah that the alliance will not work and that none of the factions will ultimately respect it.
- This is the first episode of the fourth chapter of Season One, The Factions Chapter.
- Josh was last seen in The Casket Girls, marking an absence of six episodes.
- Josh and Oliver were last seen in Crescent City, marking an absence of three episodes.
- Jackson was last seen in Le Grand Guignol, in wolf form. His last appearance in human form was in Crescent City.
- Thierry and Monique were each last seen in Le Grand Guignol.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Francesca Correa.
- From this episode onwards, Rebekah Mikaelson is no longer one of the series main characters, as the actress, Claire Holt, has departed from the series. However, she appears in archive footage of the previous episode, showing her departure.  However, she returns for several guest appearances over the next season and a half.
- New Orleans
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.53 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.20 million less than the previous episode.
- Moon Over Bourbon Street is the name of a song by British rock musician Sting.
- This is the second episode of the TVD/TO universe to reference Bourbon Street in its title. The first was TVD's We’ll Always Have Bourbon Street.
- Bourbon Street (French: Rue des Bourbon) is a street in the heart of New Orleans' oldest neighborhood, the French Quarter. It extends thirteen blocks from Canal Street to Esplanade Avenue. While it is now primarily known for its bars and strip clubs, Bourbon Street's history provides a rich insight into New Orleans' past.
- Bucktown - A fishing village on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain on the Jefferson Parish line. It is bordered by the lake and 17th Street Canal, and it was a safe harbor for fishing boats and many fishermen live there. This area was developed in the mid-1800s with a commercial wharf and railroad that ran along the Orleans-Jefferson Parish line at the 17th Street Canal (originally called the Upperline Canal). The Jefferson and Lake Pontchartrain Railroad was an extension of the New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad that ran down West End to Bucktown.
- Fight Club is a 1999 American film based on the 1996 novel of the same name by Chuck Palahniuk.
- Moon Over Bourbon Street is a song by the Korean Jazz band Winterplay.
- Hayley: "Shouldn't you be out there playing Fight Club with the rest of the frat boys?"
- Jackson: "No, that's just for pecking order. They already know who's the Alpha."
- Thierry: "What was so important you dragged me all the way out here?"
- Marcel: "I have a proposal. I want you and all the guys who walked out on Klaus with you to join me."
- Thierry: "Rounding up an army?"
- Marcel: "Can't take back the city without one."
- Thierry: "You have nothing. No weapons, no allies. You go even close to the Quarter, and Elijah will kill you. That's if Klaus doesn't get you first."
- Marcel: "So what? Maybe I should hide out in Bucktown like you? I think you're here because you don't want to leave your home. I sure as hell don't want to leave mine. A battle is brewing T, and while everyone is busy choosing sides, I'm going to find a way to take back our city. So, you with me?"
- Elijah: "Sign it."
- Klaus: "Why? You've already done so on our behalf."
- Elijah: "Brother, I am not a fool. It's clear to me you're not as disinterested as you'd like me to believe. Sign, please. If there is no peace between us, then how can you expect others to follow suit?"
- Klaus: "Fine, if it will make you happy. But, I assure you, this city's inhabitants will not adhere to this agreement."
- Elijah: "Well, you are welcome to wager against me. You will lose."
- Klaus: "We'll see."