|“||No, you can't scare me off.||”|
A GALA SO BLOODY, YOU'LL BE WEARING RED — At the Founder's Day Gala, Elena and Caroline compete for the title of 'Miss Mystic Falls' against some of the other girls from town, including Tina Fell and Amber Bradley. Elena is happy to have Bonnie back in town, but Bonnie still has issues to work through. John Gilbert attempts to intimidate Damon, but his plan doesn't have the desired effect. Damon discovers that Stefan is hiding a dangerous secret that could impact everyone in town.
|Stefan continues drinking human blood but he lies to everyone that he stopped. He tells Elena that the worst of his cravings are over but when he goes to get his bag from his trunk, it is full of empty blood bags.
Sheriff Forbes reports another theft of blood bags to John and Damon and John proposes that he and Damon team up to investigate. Damon agrees since he does not want John to reveal to everyone about his true nature.
Bonnie is back to school after her Gram's death but she is acting weird. Elena catches up with her outside of class but Bonnie keeps her distance from her while she is more friendly to Caroline when she comes to ask her help to choose a dress for the Founder's Ball where she will compete for being Miss Mystic Falls of the year. Elena is also going to participate and she asks Stefan to be her escort who agrees to do it.
Anna appears in Damon's doorstep to apologize on behalf of her mother Pearl for what the other vampires did to Stefan. She informs him that after the incident, Pearl asked them to leave and now it is only the two of them and Harper. Damon believes that Pearl and the other vampires are responsible for the robberies at the hospitals but Anna tells him that they are not responsible for this. Anna leaves and Damon looks suspicious.
Stefan comes home from school and Damon starts asking him about the human blood. Stefan insists that he is "clean" but Damon does not seem to believe him. Stefan leaves the room and heads to the basement get another blood bag but Damon follows him and catches him grabbing a bag out of a stash of human blood. Stefan says he has it under control but Damon worries and tells him that stealing so many hospital blood bags draws attention their way plus after so many years of not drinking human blood it will not be easy to control it. Stefan, still in denial, tells him that he is fine.
John uses his excuse of "working with Damon" and shows up at the Salvatore house. He asks Damon to help him find one of Johnathan Gilbert's inventions that was lost in the church fire on 1864. John suspects that Pearl has it since she was the one who Johnathan flirt with. Damon, who realizes that John has no idea where Katherine is so he will not be able to help him, pulls out of the deal and threatens John that he will kill him and the whole council if he reveals that he is a vampire.
Elena and Stefan attend the rehearsal for the Founder's Ball's dance along with the other contestants. Bonnie and Caroline are also there and Elena asks Bonnie to talk since she sees that Bonnie is avoiding her. Bonnie explains that she feels like her grandmother died for nothing since the spell for sealing the tomb did not work and the vampires escaped. She blames Stefan and Damon for everything but she does not want to make Elena choose between her and the brothers. Stefan overhears the whole conversation.
At the Founder's Ball, Anna runs into Damon who takes the opportunity to tell her about John and that he wants something that Pearl must have. Meanwhile, Jeremy talks with John and tells him that he read Johnathan's journal, something that surprises John but he tells Jeremy that Johnathan was mad. Jeremy sees Anna across the room and excuses himself to go and talk to her. Anna is still mad at him because he wanted her to turn him only to be with Vicky and Jeremy says that she approached him only to save her mother. Anna wonders how he knows and he tells her that he read Elena's journal.
Upstairs, Jenna helps Elena to get ready for the Ball while they talk about Elena's mother. Elena goes to change and Damon shows up telling her about Stefan still drinking human blood. Elena looks shocked hearing it when Stefan gets into the room. Damon leaves and Stefan keeps denying that the blood drinking changed him. Mrs. Lockwood interrupts their fight and tells Stefan he has to wait for Elena downstairs.
Stefan leaves the room and heads to the bathroom clearly mad that Elena knows. Amber (Spencer Locke), one of the other contestants, gets into the bathroom and sees him.
In the meantime, the girls make their entrance one by one, Mrs. Lockwood notices that Amber is missing and Elena also can't find Stefan while she is coming down the stairs. Damon immediately steps in and escorts Elena to the dance floor and dances with her. They whisper to each other about where Stefan might be and Damon says that they should end with the dance first and then they will look for him.
Stefan, who kidnapped Amber, drags her along the street to his car. Stefan is torn about what he wants to do with her; he wants to feed on her but at the same time he does not want to do it because that is not him and if he does it then there will not be turning back. In the meantime, he has compelled Amber so she won't be afraid of him and when he tells her that he wants to drink her blood, Amber urges him to do it. Stefan bites her not able to resist anymore to his hunger.
Back at the Founder's Ball, Mayor Lockwood announces the winner of the Miss Mystic Falls who is Caroline. After the announcement Damon, Elena and Bonnie leave to search for Stefan while John finds out that the mother's name of the girl who was with Jeremy is Pearl. That is all he needs to know to understand that she is a vampire from the tomb.
Meanwhile, Stefan stopped drinking from Amber who seems like she does not have any problem with the whole thing telling him that it does not hurt if he wants to drink more. Stefan reverses his compulsion making him afraid of him and asking her to run. Amber runs away but Stefan appears in front of her saying that he changed his mind and bites her again. Amber starts screaming when Damon arrives with Elena and Bonnie and Stefan releases her. Damon tries to stop him but Stefan throws him away and then Bonnie uses her powers giving Stefan a headache, snapping him out of his bloody rage and he collapses. When Bonnie stops, Stefan gets up and runs away.
Sheriff Forbes arrives to the scene and Elena, Bonnie and Damon hide what really happened. Elena tries to talk to Bonnie but Bonnie makes her decision and tells her that she wants to stay away from her as long as she is not stepping away from the Salvatores. Damon returns home and finds Anna and Pearl waiting for him. Pearls gives him the device she took from Jonathan Gilbert but she does not know what it does. She thought she had gotten the watch that traces vampires but she realized her mistake the night she was caught.
The episode ends with Elena going to Stefan's bedroom. Stefan tells her that she should not be there and that earlier she saw who he really is; a monster. Elena keeps telling him that he is not that person and they fight. In a moment of no control, he pushes her against the wall and Elena looks scared. Stefan apologizes, they embrace and he starts crying. Elena promises him that she will help him and everything will be fine while she injects him with vervain. Stefan collapses and Elena, along with Damon, lock Stefan in the basement to detox. They both sit outside of the cell.
- Antagonist : Stefan Salvatore.
- This is the only episode in the series in which Mystic Falls appears in the title. It's also the first Miss Mystic Falls Pageant we see in the series; we will not see another Miss Mystic Falls event until Season Four's My Brother’s Keeper.
- Bonnie returns in this episode. This is her first appearance since Fool Me Once.
- Anna mentions the first Miss Mystic Falls pageant in 1864. This event is seen in Season Two in the episode, Memory Lane, in which Katherine was in the Miss Mystic Court and was escorted by Stefan.
- In this episode, it's revealed that Stefan is back on human blood. Elena sees for the first time a hint of 'Ripper Stefan.'
- Elena admits that her mother, Miranda Sommers-Gilbert, wanted her to be a part of the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, and reveals that Miranda was also Miss Mystic Falls "back in her day."
- Caroline wins the 2010 Miss Mystic Falls pageant.
- April Young would win the pageant the following year.
- The scene in which Damon waits for Elena at the bottom of the stairs and the scene where he takes over as Elena's dance partner would parallel the Season Four episode My Brother’s Keeper.
- Also in My Brother’s Keeper, Elena recalls her dance with Damon seen in this episode.
- This scene is really the first time we see a romantic spark between Damon & Elena. Up to this point Elena had been wary around him, but the trust is growing between the pair and as a result, sparks fly on the dance floor.
- In Yellow Ledbetter, Elena reveals to Alaric that this is the moment she first realized how "sexy" Damon was. After Elena asks Alaric to erase her memories of loving Damon to help her move on from his "death," Alaric uses his compulsion to alter the memory of this moment. He then makes her believe that Stefan ditched her, and that she was humiliated in front of everyone.
- During their dance in Do You Remember the First Time?, Damon informs Elena of the truth of the moment, specifically that he jumped in and acted as her escort when it became clear that Stefan had bailed on her. He also added that even though Elena was mostly worried about Stefan, there was a moment when "everything just fell away" while they were dancing, and they had a "moment" together.
- This is first episode in which Bonnie uses her pain infliction witch ability on a vampire; she uses it on Stefan in order to get him to stop feeding on Amber.
- Elena uses one of Alaric's vervain darts to subdue Stefan, and then she and Damon lock him in the cellar to detox him from human blood.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Star Wars - the phrase 'There is a disturbance in the Force,' means that something went really, really wrong.
- Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, a character from the 1886 novella, [The] Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, a 1972 children's book by American writer Judith Viorst.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.33 million viewers in USA, which was 0.18 million more than the previous episode.
- Sheriff Forbes: "There was a disturbance at the hospital blood bank last night. Some of the supply was compromised."
- Damon: "Compromised? You mean stolen?"
- Sheriff Forbes: "We almost missed it. The inventory records were altered, but when the night manager was questioned, he had no recollection of changing it."
- John: "Meaning the vampire who stole the blood used mind control to hide the theft."
- Damon: (annoyed) "I know what she means."
- Damon (referring to the blood Stefan stole): "Well, well... he's a liar and a thief. So, when were you gonna share?"
- Stefan: "Go ahead. Help yourself."
- Damon: "No, no, I'm talking about the fact that you're a closet blood-junkie."
- Stefan: "So, I'm drinking blood again. You're the one that shoved it on me. What's your problem? I have it under control."
- Damon: "Under control? You robbed a hospital!"
- Bonnie: "Listen, Elena-- I can't just pretend like everything is okay. Everything my Grams did was to protect us from those vampires from the tomb. And now they're out, which means she died for nothing."
- Elena: "I'm so sorry, Bonnie. What can I do to make it better?"
- Bonnie: "That's just it. There's nothing you can do. I blame him, Elena-- him and Damon-- and I'm not going to put you in a situation where you have to choose sides."
- Damon: "John Gilbert thinks your mom stole an artifact from Johnathan, Sr. back in 1864."
- Anna: "What are you, his errand boy?"
- Damon: "I don't know what it is, but I don't want him to have it."
- John: "You look miserable."
- Jeremy: "Are there really a whole month of these events that I'm supposed to show up at?"
- John: "You can fight it if you want, but it's part of being a Gilbert."
- Jeremy: "Yeah, you uh... you mentioned you know a lot about the family. Do you know anything about our ancestor, Johnathan Gilbert?"
- John: "Prolific writer, crazy inventor. Why do you ask?"
- Jeremy: "Well, I read his journal."
- John: "Is that right?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, uh I actually found it in all of Dad's stuff."
- John: "A little surprising, most of them are locked away."
- Jeremy: "There's more of them?"
- John: "Johnathan Gilbert journaled his whole life... right down to the bitter insane drunken end. The guy had a lot of demons."
- Damon: "Stefan's still drinking human blood."
- Elena: (stunned) "What?"
- Damon: "Yeah. A month ago, I would've rejoiced. But, with the Council back on the alert, it is not a good time for Stefan to fly off the handle."
- Elena: "I know he's been a little edgy, but he said that was normal."
- Damon: "He has a fridge full of stolen blood bank contraband in the house."
- Elena: "Oh, my god..."
- Damon: "He has no idea what normal is-- his entire existence isn't normal. Normal to a vampire is drinking human blood. But, he spent all this time fighting it when he should've been learning how to control it. And now, it's controlling him instead."
- Stefan: "I was gonna tell you."
- Elena: "When?"
- Stefan: "I'm fine. I'm fine. The blood, it doesn't change anything."
- Elena: "It's changing you."
- Stefan: "Why? Because I kept it a secret from you? Come on, Elena. Look, given the way that you're reacting right now, can you really blame me for doing that?"
- Elena: "Are you hearing yourself right now? You've been stealing blood and lying. And you say that everything's fine? Everything's not fine, Stefan."
- Anna: "What are you going to do now? Now that you know everything that she's been hiding from you?"
- Jeremy: "I don't know. There's a part of me that's so angry... that she covered up what happened to Vicki and erased my memories, but... there's also this other part of me that's glad. I—I don't want to remember Vicki like that."
- Anna: "As a monster?"
- Jeremy: "No, as someone who wanted to hurt me."
- Anna: "When I met you, you were just a part of my plan to get my mother back. But then, things changed. All the time we spent together... I would never do anything to hurt you. Not now. You know that, right?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, I know that."
- Stefan: "I don't hurt people. I don't do that. I'm the good brother."
- Amber Bradley: "Do you want to hurt me?"
- Stefan: "I want to kill you. I want to rip into your skin, and I want to feed on your blood.
- (He looks at the carotid artery throbbing in her neck and touches it with his fingertips as though he's mesmerized)
- Stefan: Under your skin... pulsating... flowing... your carotid artery right there. If you puncture this just right, you can control the blood flow. It takes practice, but it doesn't have to make a mess. So, you don't have to waste any."
- Amber Bradley: "What's stopping you?"
- Stefan: "If I do this-- if I give in-- there's no going back."
- Amber Bradley: "Then don't."
- Stefan: "I just want one taste... that's all I need... just one taste."