|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 19|
|Air date||April 22nd 2010|
|Written by||Bryan Oh & Caroline Dries|
|Directed by||Marcos Siega|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
A GALA SO BLOODY, YOU'LL BE WEARING RED — At the Founder's Day Gala, Elena and Caroline compete for the title of “Miss Mystic Falls” against some of the other girls from town, including Tina Fell and Amber Bradley. Elena is happy to have Bonnie back in town, but Bonnie still has issues to work through. John Gilbert attempts to intimidate Damon, but his plan doesn't have the desired effect. Damon discovers that Stefan is hiding a dangerous secret that could impact everyone in town.
|Stefan goes back to school, but when Elena approaches him he quickly leaves the scene. At the Founder's Day Gala, Elena and Caroline compete in the "Miss Mystic Falls" contest. Bonnie returns to town much to Elena's happiness, but finds that Bonnie is still hurt over everything and acts cold and distant towards her. She admits she feels anger towards Elena because the latter associates with the Salvatore brothers.
At the contest, Damon reveals to Elena that Stefan has begun feeding on human blood again. When Elena confronts him, he becomes angry and breaks a bathroom mirror. To his despair, one of the contestants, Amber Daly, witnesses this, and he is forced to take her. Anna shows up to the dance, and Jeremy reveals that he knows Anna is using him so she has blood to revive her mother, among other things. Anna says she will never do anything to hurt Jeremy and they make up.
Back at the dance, Damon poses as Elena's escort when Stefan doesn't show up. With help from Bonnie, they locate and subdue Stefan before he feeds off Amber. Bonnie tells Elena that they can no longer be friends; she does not want anything to do with vampires, and as she doesn't consider it fair to make Elena choose, the only solution is to break off their friendship. The episode ends with Elena injecting vervain into Stefan and locking him into the cellar in an attempt to help him.
- Antagonist: Stefan Salvatore
- This episode had about 3.33 million viewers in USA.
- This is the only episode in series in which Mystic Falls appears in the title.
- Bonnie returns in this episode. This is her first appearance since Fool Me Once.
- Matt does not appear in this episode.
- Anna mentions the first Miss Mystic Falls pageant. This event is seen in season 2 in the episode: Memory Lane.
- In this episode it's revealed that Stefan is back on human blood.
- Elena admits that her mother, Miranda Sommers-Gilbert, wanted her to be a part of the Miss Mystic Falls pageant.
- Caroline wins the Miss Mystic Falls pageant. April Young would win the pageant the following year.
- The scene in which Damon waits for Elena at the bottom of the stairs and the scene where he takes over as Elena's dance partner would parallel the Season Four episode My Brother's Keeper.
- In My Brother's Keeper a Season Four episode, Elena recalls her dance with Damon in this episode.
- This is first episode in which Bonnie inflicts pain on a vampire, when she does this to Stefan.
- Star Wars - the phrase "There is a disturbance in the Force " means that something went really, really wrong.
- Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, a character from the 1886 novella by Robert Louis Stevenson.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, a 1972 children's book by American writer Judith Viorst.
- Sheriff Forbes: "There was a disturbance at the hospital blood bank last night. Some of the supply was compromised."
- Damon: "Compromised? You mean..stolen?"
- Sheriff Forbes: "We almost missed it. The inventory records were altered, but when the night manager was questioned he had no recollection of changing it."
- John: "Meaning the vampire who stole the blood used mind control to hide the theft."
- Damon: "I know what she means.."
- Damon (referring to the blood Stefan stole): "Well, well...he's a liar and a thief....So, when were you gonna share?"
- Stefan: "Go ahead. Help yourself."
- Damon: "No, no, I'm talking about the fact that you're a closet blood junkie."
- Stefan: "So, I'm drinking blood again. You're the one that shoved it on me. What's your problem? I have it under control."
- Damon: "Under control? You robbed a hospital."
- Bonnie: "Listen Elena, I can't just pretend like everything is okay. Everything my grams did was to protect us from those vampires from the tomb. And now they're out, which means she died for nothing."
- Elena: "I'm so sorry, Bonnie. What can I do to make it better?"
- Bonnie: "That's just it. There's nothing you can do. I blame him Elena, him and Damon... And I'm not going to put you in a situation where you have to choose sides."
- Damon: "John Gilbert thinks your mom stole an artifact from Johnathan Sr. back in 1864."
- Anna: "What are you, his errand boy?"
- Damon: "I don't know what it is, but I don't want him to have it."
- John: "You look miserable."
- Jeremy: "Are there really a whole month of these events that I'm supposed to show up at?"
- John: "You can fight it if you want, but it's part of being a Gilbert."
- Jeremy: "Yeah, you uh... you mentioned you know a lot about the family. Do you know anything about our ancestor, Johnathan Gilbert?"
- John: "Prolific writer, crazy inventor. Why do you ask?"
- Jeremy: "Well, I read his journal."
- John: "Is that right?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, uh I actually found it in all of dad's stuff."
- John: "A little surprising, most of them are locked away."
- Jeremy: "There's more of them?"
- John: "Johnathan Gilbert journaled his whole life..right down to the bitter insane drunken end. The guy had a lot of demons."
- Damon: "Stefan's still drinking human blood."
- Elena: "What?"
- Damon: "Yeah, a month ago I would've rejoiced. But with the council back on the alert, it is not a good time for Stefan to fly off the handle."
- Elena: "I know he's been a little edgy, but he said that was normal."
- Damon: "He has a fridge full of stolen blood bank contraband in the house."
- Elena: "Oh, my god..."
- Damon: "He has no idea what normal is, his entire existence isn't normal. Normal to a vampire is drinking human blood. But he spent all this time fighting it, when he should've been learning how to control it and now it's controlling him instead."
- Stefan: "I was gonna tell you."
- Elena: "When?"
- Stefan: "I'm fine. I'm fine, the blood...it doesn't change anything."
- Elena: "It's changing you."
- Stefan: "Why because I kept it a secret from you? Come on, Elena. Look, given the way that you're reacting right now, can you really blame me for doing that?"
- Elena: "Are you hearing yourself right now? You've been stealing blood and lying. And you say that everything's fine? Everything's not fine, Stefan."
- Anna: "What are you going to do now..now that you know everything that she's been hiding from you."
- Jeremy: "I don't know. There's a part of me that's so angry.. that she covered up what happened to Vicki and erased my memories, but.. there's also this other part of me that's glad. I..I don't want to remember Vicki like that."
- Anna: "As a monster?"
- Jeremy: "No, as someone who wanted to hurt me."
- Anna: "When I met you, you were just a part of my plan to get my mother back, but then things changed. All the time we spent together. I would never do anything to hurt you..not now..you know that right?"
- Jeremy: "Yeah, I know that."
- Stefan: "I don't hurt people. I don't do that. I'm the good brother."
- Amber Bradley: "Do you want to hurt me?"
- Stefan: "I want to kill you. I want to rip into your skin, and I want to feed on your blood..under your skin..pulsating..flowing..your carotid artery right there. If you puncture this just right you can control the blood flow. It takes practice, but.. it doesn't have to make a mess..so you don't have to waste any."
- Amber Bradley: "What's stopping you?"
- Stefan: "If I do this, if I give in, there's no going back."
- Amber Bradley: "Then don't."
- Stefan: "I just want one taste..that's all I need..just one taste."