Mind Compulsion is an ability possessed by Immortals, Original Vampires, Vampires, Hybrids, and occasionally Witches to control the mind of another simply through eye contact and erase the victim's memories or even alter them to the point where something is completely different about them.
Compelled beings usually follow the instructions given to them by the vampire who compelled them to the best of their ability, sometimes even those that would otherwise be beyond their "normal" capacity (i.e. being forced to forget a very recent and otherwise unforgettable experience, cause them to develop new skills, and even create new personalities). Needless to say, this ability plays a vital role in keeping the existence of Vampires (and by extension, other supernatural races) hidden. While most vampires use compulsion with verbal commands, this is not heeded as a necessity, as in one such instance Damon was able to compel Caroline with eye contact alone. However, this method of compulsion has not been used since. Silas however seems to easily do these feats without eye contact or verbal commands when he wants, and can even get into the minds of the Original vampires.
- Immortals can compel the minds of any species with the exception of Supernatural Hunters and Passengers.
- Original vampires can compel both humans and non-original vampires, but not their fellow Original vampires (as Rebekah pointed out to Kol).
- Non-original Vampires can only compel humans.
- Non-original Vampires seem to be aware that they are being compelled while under the effect while humans aren't. However, they are, by no means immune to it, unless they have vervain in their system.
- Witches and Werewolves cannot be compelled by Original and non-original vampires. However it was demonstrated that Silas has the ability to compel witches as seen when he did so to Qetsiyah.
- Hybrids can be compelled by Original Vampires due to their vampire side.
- Compulsion doesn't work if the victim is on vervain.
- To prevent compulsion, Elena wore a pendant which contained vervain, and Jeremy was also given a bracelet with the herb in it.
- Some humans also drink vervain tea.
- In spite of that, Silas was able to entrance Caroline with an advanced form of the skill.
- Vampires who ingest vervain can still compel others without the vervain nullifying the effects.
- Some humans can train themselves to be immune to compulsion.
- When someone is compelled, a new compulsion cannot override a previous compulsion.
- It is, however, possible to plant a new compulsion for so long as it does not conflict with the previous one. As users grow older, their mind compulsion skills evolve and mature.
- When a human who has been compelled in the past dies and is in transition to a vampire, they will remember everything they were compelled to do or forget.
- Compulsion seems to be tied to the user's spiritual essence, since Klaus was able to use it while inhabiting the body of Alaric, a Human.
- As Silas created the Immortality Spell for himself, and the fact he was a powerful psychic, the mind compulsion could come from Silas' original spell, to strengthen his psychic powers, and is why it would be present in the Mikaelson families version of his spell.
Species who can use this ability
All non Original Vampires possess the ability to compel humans and manipulate dreams and bestow hallucinations such as when Lexi made Stefan think he was lacking blood in Ghost World. They cannot compel other supernatural creatures such as werewolves however.
Due to their Vampire side Hybrids have the same exact powers of compulsion of a non Original Vampire. That extends to all hybrids, but only those who are half vampire.
Original Vampires have the same powers of compulsion as any vampire however they can compel any non original vampire so long if the Vampire is not on vervain. They cannot compel each other though.
Immortals are the strongest creatures on both shows mentally. They can appear as anyone and can compel without eye contact and even if the target is on vervain. Also they can compel a mass of people at once. They can inflict immense mental pain on targets such as when Silas convinced Klaus he was stabbed by the White Oak Stake.
Witches are able to achieve effects similar to compulsion through magic. The witch Maddox on one instance, controlled the actions of Carol Lockwood including what she spoke, making her mimic his actions like a puppet. After he was done, she did not understand why she did what she did. Several spells have also been used to make people forget, fall under a suggestible trance state and give false visions.
- Death of an Original Vampire: When an Original vampire dies, their compulsion wears off. This can also be achieved if they are neutralized with the white oak ash dagger; this principle still applies if an Original vampire is revived by having dagger removed later.
- Limitations: Mind Compulsion can only be used on humans by regular vampires and hybrids, and only on humans, non-original vampires and hybrids by original vampires. Other supernatural creatures such as werewolves, the members of The Brotherhood of the Five and witches are immune to mind compulsion. Furthermore, it only seems to work via eye contact, and at a very close range, though more proficient users can perform it at a limited distance away from their victims, as almost every compulsion performed so far has occurred with the vampire using compulsion having their head right next to their victims as they compel them.
- Loopholes: Since Compulsion works by causing the recipient to be subservient to the specific commands issued to them by the Compeller, and that the Compeller can only issue any number of commands at any given time, it is possible to find flaws in the compulsion by exploiting loopholes.
- Previous Compulsion: A vampire cannot undo the compulsion of someone who has already been previously compelled through a new compulsion.
- Magic: A witch is capable of delving into the mind of a being and removing the compulsion, however the process is extremely painful.
- Mental Resistance: Humans with great mental strength can withstand compulsion, however only few humans have ever demonstrated this ability, most likely since it likely requires significant training.
- The Anti Magic Barrier: Any human that was in the anti magic barrier, if they had been compelled the compulsion was undone.
- Transitioning: After a human turns into a non-original vampire, the compulsion wears off and the human begins to remember everything that was erased from their minds.
- Vervain: Wearing, holding, or ingesting vervain prevents compulsion. However, Silas seems to be exempt from this.
- Siphoning: If a Siphoner witch absorbs the magic of the compulsion the person compelled will be free from compulsion.
- The Cure: In I'd Leave My Happy Home For You, after Elena took the cure, she regained her memories that Alaric had compelled her to forget.