|“||I am Mikael, the Vampire who hunts Vampires!||”|
— Mikael's Boast
Mikael (also known in the supernatural world as The Hunter, and The Destroyer, because of his pursuit of his children, and the destruction he leaves in his wake), is one of the Original Vampires, the Original Vampire Hunter, and is the vampire who hunts vampires. He is the husband of the Original Witch Esther, and the father of a deceased unnamed son, Finn Mikaelson, Elijah Mikaelson, Kol Mikaelson, Rebekah Mikaelson, and Henrik Mikaelson. Mikael is also the step-father of the Original Hybrid Niklaus Mikaelson, making Hope Mikaelson his step-granddaughter. With both Silas and Amara cured and dead, Mikael, being the father of the Original Vampires, is the oldest, most feared, one of the most powerful, and one of the most dangerous and deadly vampires in the supernatural world, making him the oldest immortal being in the show.
Mikael first appearance was in a flashback from the 1920s in The End of The Affair, as someone Klaus and Rebekan were running from. His name was revealed by Rebekah in Disturbing Behavior. At some point in the 1990s a witch named Abby Bennett used a spell to desiccate him and entombed him in a cemetery in Charlotte, binding him in chains and locking him in an abandoned crypt. Twenty years later, he was released by Katerina Petrova and Jeremy Gilbert. After Mikael was released, he tracked down the Salvatore Brothers and told them that he would help them kill Klaus, however, while executing the plan he was killed by Klaus with his own weapon.
Over a year later after his death and the weak state of The Other Side, Mikael then began to conspire to kill Hope as he believes it would be better off dead as Klaus would only destroy it one way or the other, and he also conspired to find a way to come back to life. Mikael's ghost appeared before the young Witch Davina to get her to resurrect him and in return he would rid Klaus from her life and try and save her friend Josh. Davina succeeds in resurrecting Mikael, although she can control his actions due to a cursed object she used in bringing him back, wanting him as her personal secret weapon.
Mikael is a member and is the patriarch of the Mikaelson Family.
The Middle Ages
Mikael was born in an Eastern European village where he met the witch Esther, and the two fell in love. They married and were wealthy landowners when they started a family. After their first child was born, a plague hit Eastern Europe and killed their first born child. Desperate to escape, Esther turned to her witch friend, Ayana, who told her of a land beyond the seas where the natives were blessed with supernatural gifts and where they could live away from diseases. Mikael, Esther, Ayana and other settlers (possibly Viking) left Eastern Europe for the New World (later known as America) and settled in the area of what is present day Mystic Falls.
However, the New World wasn't as peaceful as the couple had expected, especially during the full moon: their neighbors were Werewolves. They lived in peace with their neighbours, hiding in caves during the transformations. It was during this time that Mikael and Esther had more children: Finn, Elijah, Niklaus, Kol, Rebekah, and Henrik.
Once, as kids, Elijah takes Niklaus into the woods, to teach him how to hunt. Elijah encourages his brother stating that his aim has been improving, when he misses a shot at a doe. But, Mikael intervenes and scolds Elijah for encouraging his brother and snatches the bow from Niklaus stating that he wasn't man enough to hold a weapon. Niklaus tries to apologize, but Mikael sees him as a weakling and starts kicking him, justifying that his punishments would make Niklaus stronger. Elijah tries to stop his father from hurting his brother but is scared off, by Mikael, stating that if Elijah intervened he would be next.
He once beat Niklaus half to death as a boy because he was so sure that Niklaus had taken his blades unaware that it was Rebekah who actually took them.
One day Mikael had caught Klaus making small wooden toys with his hunting knife and Mikael whiped and beat Klaus half to death, so bad that his siblings feared for Klaus' life. Elijah entered in and tried to stop his father, but he pushed Elijah away and continnued to punish Klaus until Rebekah entered with his sword and pointed it at him. Mikael got furious and grabbed his sword and left. Then one night, Rebekah who had enough of MIkael's abuse torwards Klaus and took a knife with intension of killing her father, but Elijah stopped her and took the knife from her and went back to sleep.
One day, while Elijah and Klaus were sparring, Mikael watched them; when they were done, he came to Elijah for his sword and then attacked Klaus, defeated and humiliated him. He wondered how Klaus was able to remain alive due to his impulsive behavior. Curious about the werewolves transformations, Klaus and Henrik went to spy on them. They were discovered and Henrik was mauled and killed by a werewolf. After the witch Ayana refused to help, he begged his wife Esther to do something, using her powers as a Witch. His wife performed a spell that made him and their children stronger, faster than the werewolves, and immortal. Esther performed The Immortality Spell by binding the power of the sun (for life) and the immortality of the ancient white oak tree.
He then offered his children wine laced with Tatia's blood (as revealed in Bringing Out The Dead) and killed them soon thereafter. The spirits, in vengeance toward these "abominations", turned nature against them; the sun became their enemy, the flowers that grew at the base of the white oak tree, vervain, brought pain and prevented compulsion, and the oak tree that granted them immortality became the one thing on earth that could take it away. Mikael and his family later burned down the white oak tree to prevent it ever being used against them, but not before Mikael had secretly carved a stake.
But they soon learned with all this power came terrible hunger and none felt it more then Niklaus, once Klaus had killed a human, Mikael and the rest of the family found at what he truly were and Mikael says when he sees Klaus turning into a Hybrid. "He's a beast. He's an abomination". After Mikael had found out that his wife was unfaithful to him and that Niklaus is not his son, he convinced her to cast a spell to keep Klaus's werewolf side dormant. When Esther did the spell Mikael was tying Klaus up in chains and asked for Elijah's help and then screamed at him to help, Elijah then helped his father tying Klaus up. Mikael then later went out, hunted down and killed Klaus' father and his entire family, not realizing that he was igniting an inter-species war that rages on until this day.
According to Elijah, Mikael burned down half of Europe in his hunt for his family.
1919, New Orleans
In the year 1919, six months after Rebekah and Marcel used Genevieve to summon him, Mikael appeared in the streets of New Orleans and watching at the newspaper he got from Genevieve. Mikael later appeared at Rousseau's and was watching Marcel and Rebekah. Later, shortly after Rebekah left him at the bar, Marcel went for a drink, and Mikael, who also had drink approached him, he talks of how lucky Marcel really is and tells him that his girlfriend, she looks like his wife. Mikael then revealed himself and told him he observed him and knows Marcel Gerard would do anything to get away from Klaus' wing even if it meant calling the one man on earth who hates Klaus the most, who is called "The Destroyer". Mikael admits he has burned countless other cities like New Orleans hunting his children. Mikael promises to leave Rebekah unharmed as she was always his favorite, but he wants his sons' exact location.
Later, Mikael goes to see Elijah, and tells him he just wants to talk to him, with Elijah being shocked, who tells him that he hunted him and his siblings for centuries, even burning half of Europe. Mikael corrects him that he only ever hunted Klaus and not his own children. Mikael is requesting his aid, though the meeting quickly becomes violent once Elijah refuses. Elijah tells his father, he is a fool if he thinks Elijah would betray his brother for anyone even for his father, Mikael then reminds him of how his mothers affair led to Klaus' existence, Mikael's shame. He tells his son. "Niklaus is an abomination. You do not talk to an abominations, You do not reason with them. Do not try to change them, you ERASE THEM!" Mikael then shows him The White Oak Stake, Elijah then tries to stop him, but Mikael overpowers Elijah and tells him, he either stands with him or he could fall with Klaus. After Elijah chooses to stand with Klaus, Mikael stakes him, having him incapacitated, before making his way to the Opera Theatre.
Walking in behind Klaus, he points the White Oak Stake to Klaus' heart, while Klaus clearly sensed his presence from his horrified expression. Mikael mocks Klaus when he calls Mikael father, telling him that his Werewolf father would be embarassed of Klaus like Mikael was before he knew the truth of Klaus. Mikael is revealing that he means to humiliate Klaus first, and then, once Klaus is dead, he will kill everyone who know's Klaus' name, removing his memory from the city and the world. Revealing that he killed Klaus' werewolf lover, friends, and imprisoned Marcel on the stage, all the while compelling the entire audience to view it as a comedy, Mikael laughed as Klaus looked on in terror. Klaus moved to help Marcel, only to be stopped by Mikael. He then threw Klaus away and Rebekah then intervened when Klaus was down, trying to save Marcel, only for her to be staked and incapacitated. Recovering from his own incapacitation, Elijah arrived to help his siblings flee, leaving Marcel, as Mikael was feeding off him and had his hand clutching Marcel's heart, trapped on the stage. Mikael burned down the Opera house with everyone in it out of spite. As Mikael hunted after his children, he told them to come forward and that they should finish the last act of their Le Grand Guignol story, what he calls their tale of sorrows. He told them to stop running as it would be pointless because he would find them no matter what. Elijah told his brother and sister to run while he played interference, promising that he would find them. Mikael went on to burn the city down and slaughtered the other vampires in the city, leaving Marcel as one of the only vampires to survive Mikael's wrath.
In the 1920's three years after the New Orleans massacre, Mikael had found them in Chicago and had sent police officers to shoot at Gloria's bar to spook Klaus, and when Mikael came, Klaus and Rebekah had already vanished. Mikael was then searching for Klaus and Rebekah in Gloria's bar and asked Stefan if he knew either of them and where they might be, but under Klaus's compulsion, Stefan said that he had never seen them in his life. During that time, Mikael posed as a member of the Chicago Police Department. Mikael knew that Stefan had been compelled and told the other officers that they were done here and he continued to hunt for Klaus.
70 years later in the late 1990s, Mikael came to Mystic Falls, his home from the past. Mikael was in search of the 4th Petrova Doppelgänger (Elena Gilbert), presumably to either kill her (and prevent Klaus from breaking the curse), or to draw Klaus out. To protect her best friend's daughter, the witch Abby Bennett Wilson lured him outside of town and entombed Mikael in an abandoned mausoleum at a cemetery, where he lay dormant for almost 20 years. Katherine Pierce had heard tales about Mikael centuries before from her best friend Pearl and would eventually become the one to track him down and release him.
At the end of The Reckoning, Mikael was revealed to be a vampire who hunts vampires, (later revealed as an Original Vampire, and Klaus' step-father), and the one who can kill Klaus for good, but is now locked in a tomb by a witch. Anna insisted that Mikael should not be awakened because he would kill all of them (referring to Katherine and Damon, hinting that he may be on a mission of destroying his kind). Katherine chose to ignore her warning and was able locate his tomb with the help of Jeremy. As she opens his coffin, Mikael awakens.
In Smells Like Teen Spirit, Katherine spent most of her time trying to get Mikael to rise from his coffin by attempting to get him to feed. However, Mikael simply did not drink any of the blood she offered, so Katherine finally got him to feed by letting blood from a human drip onto his mouth. He looked much more alive, but became angry and told her to get it away from him and fell back to sleep. Hours later, Mikael awoke and apologized to Katherine for his behavior and revealed that he has denied himself from drinking human blood for as long as he can remember. Katherine expressed her disappointment at Mikael and asks whether he can kill Klaus as she's heard or not. Mikael states that he can kill Klaus and that he will kill him. Katherine told him he needed to feed to regain his strength, but Mikael declined and stated that he does not feed on the living. She then asked him what he feeds on. He responded by grabbing Katherine and feeding on her, much to her horror.
In Ordinary People, Mikael came and met Stefan and Damon at a bar, knowing exactly who they are because of his experience as a vampire hunter. Mikael asked Stefan a few questions about Klaus's location. Stefan could not answer him because Klaus had compelled him not to tell. Damon was unimpressed by Mikael's questioning and jokingly asked if this was the extent of his capabilities. As a ploy to get Stefan to give him answers, Mikael inserted his hand inside Damon's chest and threatened to rip his heart out. Stefan hesitated; he did, however, manage to override Klaus's compulsion and quickly told Mikael that he could lure Klaus back to Mystic Falls. Mikael again threatened Stefan that if he went back on his word, he would drive a stake through his heart himself.
In Homecoming, Mikael helped Elena and the Salvatore Brothers to lure Klaus to him so he could kill him for good. To do this, Klaus needed to think that Mikael was dead, so Elena temporarily daggered him and later revived him. When Mikael returned to life, Rebekah was there to talk with him. He said that his intent was never to kill her, only Klaus as revenge for killing her mother. Rebekah told him that she knew what Klaus had done, but blamed Mikael for making Klaus this way, saying that it was not Klaus who destroyed their family, but Mikael when he turned them into vampires.
Later, Mikael showed Damon the White Oak Stake, the only weapon that could permanently kill an Original. Damon asked him why he feeds on vampires. His reply was:"I had a hand in creating vampires but the blood lust was never my intention. Over the centuries, I've learned to feed from the predator, not the innocent."
When Stefan came in, he fed on him and went with Damon to the Lockwood Mansion to proceed with the plan. At the mansion, Mikael found himself surrounded by hybrids. Klaus says that his hybrids will kill Mikael. Mikael replied that they cannot kill him, to which Klaus says "But it will make a hell of a party game". When Klaus came to the door, he tried to get Klaus to come out of the house to fight him, to no avail.
Mikael then grabbed Elena as a hostage (Katherine in disguise) and threatened Klaus to come out and face him, else he will kill Elena. Klaus called his bluff, only Mikael wasn't bluffing, and quickly stabbed her in the back with a knife. Whilst Klaus attempted to comprehend Elena's sudden death, Damon sneaked up behind him and stabbed him with the White Oak Stake, but missed his heart. As he was about to deliver the final blow, Stefan dove on Damon, and stopped him. Klaus then grabbed the stake, ran out to Mikael and drove it through his heart. Mikael burst into flames, and died quickly afterwards.
In The Ties That Bind, it was revealed that Bonnie's mother (Abby Bennett Wilson) was the witch that entombed Mikael by casting a spell to desiccate his body, and leaving him in a cemetery in Charlotte.
In Do Not Go Gentle, Esther makes another Original Vampire, with the same Immortality Spell she used on her husband Mikael, and their children. Esther made Alaric J. Saltzman into an Original Vampire Hunter like her husband, who would hunt for vampires, more specifically to hunt the Original Vampires like Mikael did, to end the vampire species.
In Always and Forever, Elijah shows his memories to a werewolf girl named Hayley, Elijah begins to tell her of how their family was a 1000 years back until the tragedy happened. Henrik their youngest brother, was killed by werewolves, their father then forced their mother, to do a spell which would make them stronger, faster, and immortal, and then the first Vampires were created. But they soon learned with all this power came terrible hunger and none felt it more then Niklaus, once Klaus had killed a human, Mikael and the rest of the family found out what he truly was, and Mikael says when he sees Klaus turning into a Hybrid, "He's a beast. An abomination". After Mikael had found out that his wife was unfaithful to him and that Niklaus is not his son, he convinced her to cast a spell to keep Klaus's werewolf side dormant. When Esther did the spell Mikael was tying Klaus up in chains and asked for Elijah's help and then screamed at him to help, Elijah then helped his father in tying Klaus up.
Once Hayley learned of Mikael she called him a "Dick". Elijah told Hayley that for a 1000 years Mikael had hunted them, even away from New Orleans, where they were happiest of all. Elijah and Rebekah mentions during their conversion that Mikael found them In New Orleans in the year 1919, three years before Rebekah was daggered by Klaus. Elijah also says he should have killed his father the moment he laid a hand on Klaus.
In House of the Rising Son, Rebekah mentions that when Niklaus saved Marcellus from slavery, he saw himself in the boy and remembered of how his step-father used to beat him and saw him nothing more than a "Beast" When Hayley asks about Klaus' relationship with Marcel, he mentions that once his father found him in New Orleans, Klaus and his siblings fled the city and had thought that Marcel had been killed by Mikael like so many other vampires in town.
In Bloodletting, Klaus makes a reference to his step-father, Mikael, when he thinks that Elijah and Rebekah sees him nothing more then a "Bastard",the way Mikael saw Klaus as.
In The River in Reverse, he was mentioned by Elijah in a flashback when he was speaking to Klaus about his recent killings, not wanting Klaus to draw Mikael's attention in Europe.
In Reigning Pain in New Orleans, Mikael is mentioned by Klaus when explaining to Marcel that he won't do to his child, what was done to him by Mikael. And later Camille O'Connell saw Mikael trough Klaus's memories of his most darkest ones involving Mikael.
In Dance Back from the Grave, Mikael is mentioned by Rebekah after Papa Tunde dies at Klaus's hands. Marcel revealed that he brought Tunde to town so that he could challenge Klaus and so that Marcel and Rebekah could be together, and told her would do it again if he could. Rebekah then proposed that he bring Mikael into town, knowing it would cause Klaus to flee in seconds. But they needed a powerful witch to locate him.
In Le Grand Guignol, multiple references to Mikael were made.
In Farewell to Storyville, Elijah remembers how Mikael punished Niklaus when they were both children for missing a shot at doe, back in the 10th century. He also remembers that Rebekah tried to kill him in his sleep. Had it not been for Elijah, she would have gone through with the act.
In A Closer Walk With Thee, Mikael begins to torment Klaus trough his dreams where there is a funeral of Father Kieran and in the coffin was Klaus' baby girl and he smiles. He is then staked by Mikael with the White Oak Stake, he tells him, "Greetings, boy." Klaus speaks to Camille, Hayley and Elijah about dreaming of Mikael. Elijah is worried because like Klaus, he to has had dreams about their father, because of The Other Side, which is falling apart.
At the Witches coven house, Davina Claire convinces her friend Abigail to do a simple seánce, so that they can connect with the spirit world and to connect with her friend Timothy. Davina and Abigail do the seánce, but instead of Tim another appears, and when she turns around she sees Mikael who says, "What a delightful tune."
Then when Hayley is temporarily killed by Monique's hex, Mikael introduces himself to Hayley on The Other Side and tells her they are family. He knows his reputation precedes him and he assures her she is not dreaming and this is all real. He vamp-speeds over to Hayley and puts her in a headlock, and Hayley gasps in fright. He welcomes her to his hell, stuck in an eternity of watching over that hideous creature his children call brother. Hayley is afraid cause she knows she's dead and then starts worrying about herself and the baby, he tells her that the kid never had a chance, and tells her of how her bloodline is filth enough and then she has to go and poison it by merging it with Klaus'. He then starts to mock Klaus. Hayley then becomes angry and releases herself from Mikael's grip and tells him that neither her or her baby's dead or he wouldn't have tried to kill them. When Hayley mentions his son has already beat him, he gets angry and says he's not his son. He calls Klaus a scourge, a walking symbol of weakness. He tells her that there is no saving that atrocity festering in her womb, and he says Klaus will destroy it, one way or another. He says it is better it dies now, and her along with it. Hayley jumps down onto the first floor, so Mikael jumps down to follow her. She spins around rapidly and rushes behind him, stabbing him in the heart with a stake from behind while he was caught off-guard by the jump. She tells him her daughter has an advantage Klaus never had - she will never, ever know him.
Back at the Witches coven house Davina is being visited by Mikael's Ghost for the second time and tells Davina that Tim has moved on and reveals himself to be Klaus father, apologizing for what his son did to Tim, and he says he's the only one who can rid Klaus from her forever, but first he needs her to bring him back to life.
In The Battle of New Orleans, Mikael's ghost appears in the streets of The French Quarter and looks at Davina, who's with Joshua Rosza. He then vanished. Mikael then appeared behind Davina, calling her name and when she turned around, he was gone. He reappears to Davina in front of a dying Josh, telling her it is no surprise Klaus left Josh to die. He says he is the only man in history that has been capable of driving off Klaus and bring him pain and fear. He says he will help save Josh aside from just wanting to kill Klaus for his personal reasons, and Davina seemingly agrees to resurrect Mikael.
In From a Cradle to a Grave, Mikael's ghost appears in The Abattoir and is seen talking to Davina and says, "One point for you, and one point for Niklaus". Mikael's ghost then appear in a room with Davina and explaining the spell in Esther's grimoire that can resurrect him. Davina resurrects Mikael using powerful cursed objects Father Kieran had stored away. Davina passes out from exhaustion and Mikael successfully returns. He first heads to Marcel's wounded army downstairs, viciously starts feeding on Diego the rest of the wounded vampires, which allows the werewolf venom in their bodies to kill them faster.
Mikael retrieves the White Oak Stake, and is looking right at Klaus holding his child from a hidden corner. Mikael makes his way to the nursey room holding the stake in his hand, and as he is about to ambush Klaus, he finds he cannot move. Davina forces his body to follow her to the attic where she stayed for months as a personal weapon, telling Mikael he will know how it feels to be hers, allowing him to kill Klaus when she sees fit and not before. She shows him an object she used for power to resurrect him, a cursed bracelet, which allows her to control his body, much to his annoyance.
In the promo, Mikael appears to have fought off Davina's influence over her, forcing Elijah to intervene and prevent him from killing Davina.
Mikael was hostile, cold, calculating, meticulous, aggressive, bad tempered and prideful - which Hayley described as "being a dick". As a human, Mikael is characterized by his pride, valor, and devotion to the family. However, he also used fear to control people particularly his children.
It's possible that deep down, Mikael knew that Klaus wasn't his own son, and that was what fueled his hatred and contempt for him in the first place, even before Klaus triggered his werewolf side. He tends to degrade his worth and often referred to Klaus as "boy" rather than his given name.
Mikael physically assaulted Klaus even as a child for no apparent reason, and try to justified it by saying that he was trying to make him stronger.
Despite his anger and attitude towards Klaus, he still cared about him enough to save his life by turning him along with his siblings into vampires, proving he did care for Klaus before realizing Klaus was not his true son.
After being turned into a vampire, the valor becomes anger, and pride in obsession. Mikael didn't initially want to kill Klaus, as even after discovering him to be an "abomination" and a child fathered by someone else, he did not kill him, but had his wife curse Klaus to make his werewolf side dormant, making him just like the rest of his siblings, an Original Vampire. Possibly indicating that he still considered Klaus to be a part of the family, however, once Klaus murdered Esther and blamed Mikael for it, only then did he pursue his step-son with the intent to kill him.
For a thousand years, Mikael tried to destroy Klaus, but during this time, still loved his biological family, telling Rebekah that she and the others were never who he was after. Mikael is willing to kill and harm others, though, in his hunt for Klaus, threatening to and possibly nearly going through with tearing out Damon's heart when Stefan wouldn't tell him where Klaus was. However, Mikael later says this was simply just to "rile" Stefan up so that he could push past Klaus' compulsion, something Mikael says was a loophole.
Mikael seems to genuinely regret the consequences of having brought the Vampire race into existence, which is what motivated him into feeding exclusively upon other Vampires instead. This implies that in spite of everything he is and everything he became, Mikael still retained a sense of virtue about him, however he his more than willing to kill humans for his own agendas and to torment Klaus.
However, Mikael has shown multiple sadistic traits, mostly when it comes to the target of his hatred, Klaus. He wasn't content to kill Klaus until he has humiliated and psychologically tortured him, and then promised to undo everyone's memory of him, turning Klaus into nothing more than a ghost, utterly alone.
It seems that even death won't stop Mikael from tormenting and wanting to kill Klaus. As he has been seen conspiring his resurrection with a young Witch and has manipulated the young witch if she does resurrect him, he would help her save her friend and get rid of Klaus for good.
Mikael is middle-aged, tall, short dark blond hair, and blue eyes. Like the other Originals, Mikael used to dress in an aristocratic manner, most reflecting his son, Elijah's attire. He wore dark suits over dress shirts.
Powers and Abilities
As the oldest of the Original Vampires, Mikael possesses all the standard powers and abilities of an Original Vampire. As an Original Vampire, Mikael is stronger than any non-original vampires and is one of the most powerful supernatural beings in the TVD/TO universe. He has overpowered three of his children in a fight, while facing all three simaeltaneously, a feat no other being has ever managed to accomplish. On top of his physical strength, he is a deadly fighter, having been the one to teach the other Originals how to fight. He is also noted to be one of two people in history that have ever made Klaus genuinely fear for his life, the other being Mikael's wife, and Klaus' mother; Esther
- Mikael and Esther (Husband and Wife)
- Mikael and Klaus (Step-Father and Step-Son/Enemies)
- Elijah and Mikael (Father and Son/Enemies)
- Mikael and Rebekah (Father and Daughter/Enemies)
- Hayley and Mikael (Enemies)
- Mikael and Katherine (Enemies)
- Mikael and Davina (forced Allies)
- Mikael and Damon (former Allies)
- Mikael and Stefan (Enemies)
- Mikael and Elena (former Allies)
- Mikael and Marcel (Unknown relationship; Mikael helped Marcel to simulate his death.)
TVD Season 3
TO Season 1
TO Season 2
- Scandinavian form of "Michael ", from the Hebrew מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) meaning "Who is like God". Saint Michael is one of the seven Archangels, and the only one mentioned in the Bible. He is the leader of heaven's armies, and for this is the patron saint of soldiers.
The Vampire Diaries (Season Three)
- To Stefan: Get Klaus back to Mystic Falls, and I will gladly drive a stake through his heart, fail, I'll drive it through yours!
- To Stefan and Damon: You see, Damon, I've been a vampire hunter longer than you've been alive. It's why I found you here. It's why I'm going to find Niklaus. Careful Stefan, one move and his hearts gone. Now where is Klaus? Come on, what's the trick question Stefan? One twist and he's dead, unless you don't care of course. Really? His link to Klaus is so strong he would let his own brother die? Hmm no ideas? Think Stefan. I guess you're right. He's a dead end, and so are you Damon. And there is our loophole, just had to rile him up a bit.
- To Klaus (flashback): So, why don't you teach me that trick young warrior. We fight for our survival, and you find time for fun!? I want to have fun, teach me, come on! You are foolish and impulsive my boy! What? No more laughter!? Some days, it's a miracle your still alive, boy.
- To Damon: I had a hand in creating vampires but bloodlust was never my intention. Over the centuries I learned to feed from the predator, not the innocent.
- To Klaus: The big bad wolf. You haven't changed, still hiding behind your playthings like a coward.
- To Klaus: Nobody cares about you anymore boy! Who do you have, other than those whose loyalty you forced? No one...No one.
- To Klaus: Your impulse, Niklaus. It has and will forever be the one thing, that keeps you from truly being great.
- -- Homecoming.
The Originals (Season One)
- The final act of the Grand Guignol is upon us! Where are my players? Enough running children! Step out of the shadows so we may finish this tale of sorrows!
- To Marcel: Let me tell you what I learned about you this afternoon, Marcel Gerard. You chaff under the control of my son, Niklaus, and would do just about anything to get rid of him, even call the one man on this earth who hates him more than you do. But I couldn't understand what you hoped to gain. Rule of this city? As I said New Orleans has it's charms, but to call me? The one they call the Destroyer, the one who has burnt cities far more charming to the ground in pursuit of his children? But now I see, you did it for love, for the love of my daughter. So I'm going to make you a promise, I won't hurt Rebekah, truth be told she was always my favorite. And this city, you can have it, but first you must tell me where to find my sons.
- To Elijah (flashback): I'll forgive you your sentimental affections for the thing you call brother, but you need to realize as I did when I learned his mother had lain with a beast to beget him. Niklaus is an abomination. You do not talk to abominations, you do not reason with them, or try to change them. You erase them! So yes I am asking you to help me kill your brother.
- To Klaus (flashback): I would advise against trying to flee boy. I could drive this through your heart before you can even think of getting to your feet. And I don't want you to die...yet. Father? Still clinging to that word after all these years? A bastard desperate for a daddy? I wonder if your real father would have been as embarrassed as I was of you before I learned you were not mine? Most likely. Ah ah. Easy now boy, don't worry death will come but first we need to have a little chat before you shuffle off your immortal coil. On contraire Niklaus, some things remain unsaid. For instance you were right to be proud of all that you have achieved here. As I walked the streets your name was spoken in revered tones by the cities finest.
- To Klaus: After I kill you I will remain in New Orleans until every last person who remembers you is dead. The deeds of the mighty Klaus will be remembered by no one! And you boy, will simply never have existed.
- To Davina: Your friend Timothy has moved on Davina. I am truly sorry for what my son did to him.
- To Davina: I am the only man in history who's been able to drive him off, to bring him fear and pain. If your friend needs Klaus' blood to survive, I've been known to spill a fair share of it. I do have personal reasons for wanting Niklaus to suffer but yes, I'd like nothing more than to help you. A small price to pay to cure your friend, and live a life free of a monster. Think Davina, there still exists a weapon that can kill Klaus. Bring back the one being who has the strength to use it.
- To Davina: Ha Ha. Ah yes. My wife Esther always did love to dress things up a bit. It's fancy witch speak. Nexus Vorti, a rare occurrence, something so infrequent it's almost a miracle. Like an astrological event or...(miracle baby). Voila.
- Mikael is the fourth Original Vampire to appear in the series.
- Mikael is the first of many parents to be turned in to vampires, followed by Pearl, Katerina (Katherine), Isobel, Jenna (she is considered a parent), Bill Forbes, Abby, and Alaric.
- Mikael was the one that caused the 1000+ blood feud between vampires and werewolves after he not only killed Klaus' father and his family, but destroyed half of a village filled with the creatures too.
- He was originally named Erik, but his name was changed to avoid similarities to True Blood. (Because a character named Bill also appeared).
- Mikael was the first to show that Original Vampires could compel a hybrid due to them still being part vampire.
- Mikael was the only Original Vampire that wasn't neutralized by Klaus.
- Mikael is the first vampire shown to drink other vampires' blood in the series, and does not feed on living things, but from the predators themselves. In the novels Katherine and Klaus also drained vampires of their blood.
- Mikael has killed more werewolves than anyone else in the entire show. Like Klaus, all of his kills were shown off screen. He fiercely hates them. He considers their bloodlines as filth.
- Mikael seems to be the only person whom Klaus greatly fears. The mere mention of Mikael's name caused Klaus to flee in The Reckoning.
- Originally, in the episode The Reckoning, there is a deleted scene where Katherine bites Jeremy's hand and feeds Mikael his blood, however it was later changed.
- Mikael is the first Original Vampire to be destroyed by a White Oak Stake.
- Interestingly, Mikael is a hint of Count Dracula. Both were placed in coffins and placed in the vicinity of an old cemetery, as well as body position when they were found.
- Of all the Original Vampires, Mikael can be considered the most threatening and proud.
- Mikael was the first vampire to be seen holding a White Oak Stake.
- Due to Klaus and his half-siblings being afraid of Mikael and fleeing when he was ever near, it's highly likely that Elena daggering Mikael was the first and only time he'd ever been neutralized by one of the daggers.
- Esther took note of her husband when she was turning Alaric into an Original Vampire, saying how he would be a true hunter like Mikael.
- As Esther is called the Original Witch, and Klaus the Original Hybrid, Mikael can be considered the Original Vampire Hunter.
- In Jewish tradition, the Archangel Michael is linked to the biblical Esther.
- Mikael's title has three meanings to it. It refers to him as a Hunter of Original Vampires, as well as being the first vampire hunter to exist, as well as identifying he is an Orginal Vampire, who hunts other vampires.
- He is also known as The Destroyer as he has burnt many cities to the ground hunting his children, including half of Europe over 1,000 years according to Elijah. He is known as The Hunter of Vampires, or the vampire that hunts vampires.
- It is entirely possible that, due to centuries after centuries of drinking Vampire blood, Mikael was stronger than the other Original Vampires. As drinking Vampire blood allowed Jesse, a newborn, to match and overpower Damon, who was near 200 years old unless the Ripper Virus itself gave increased strength. Then its highly possible esther made him stronger than their kids.
- This seems to be supported by the fight between Elijah and Mikael, as Mikael easily overpowered Elijah, who has been shown to be on par with Klaus, (however it should be noted that, Klaus' werewolf side was dormant at the time), and he had to use all of his strength to simply hold Mikael's arm back when he held the White Oak Stake threateningly towards him.
- If true, then Mikael would indeed be one of the most powerful supernatural creatures in the series. As he would be stronger than the other Original Vampires. It is unknown if he was stronger, weaker, or equal to the Enhanced Original, Alaric Saltzman, and the Original Hybrid Klaus. Julie Plec had stated that Alaric was physically the strongest Vampire on the show. Mikael's strength was close to if not equal to Alaric's as he overpowered his children's strength, capable of easily tossing Elijah and Klaus very far and hard (however it should be noted that, Klaus' werewolf side was dormant at the time).
- Mikael sees Werewolves and Hybrids as abominations. Like when he sees Klaus transform, he calls him a beast and an abomination.
- According to Klaus New Orleans have been burned up twice, the second time by Mikael himself.
- Attempted to kill Klaus in his 1919 arrival to New Orleans.
- In Le Grand Guignol, it took six months after Genevieve's summoning spell before Mikael could arrive.
- In Le Grand Guignol, he compelled a whole theater audience into watching a gory, sadistic display he had created and enjoying it, just to spite Klaus.
- According to Elijah, Mikael has laid waste to half of Europe over the centuries hunting his children.
- Mikael says people call him The Destroyer, for destroying countless cities hunting his children over 1,000 years.
- In Le Grand Guignol, it is revealed he favors Rebekah over the rest of his children. It is also shown that he is proud to call Elijah his son, which is the complete opposite of how he views Klaus.
- In Le Grand Guignol is revealed that Mikael promised to Marcel that he will permit him be with Rebekah and will make him a leader of the city (in thanks for calling him to New Orleans). It can mean that Mikael and Marcel simulated Marcel's death to horrify Klaus.
- It was revealed in Farewell to Storyville, that Mikael was physically abusive to Klaus, and to his other childern if they tried to help him.
- In A Closer Walk With Thee, Mikael's spirit haunts Klaus and Elijah through their dreams, then tries to kill Hayley and the baby when Hayley temporarily dies from a hex.
- Mikael enlists Davina to resurrect him and says he will kill Klaus, though she does not realize Marcel and Josh will die with Klaus' bloodline if Mikael is successful.
- Mikael is characterized as proud, his greatness weakness, which directly helped lead to his death as he on multiple occasions did not kill Klaus when he should have, wanting to show his superiority, giving Klaus the opportunity to catch Mikael off-guard and kill him.
- Not everyone knows Mikael is an Original, many thinking he is an ancient vampire that hunts vampires. The Mystic Falls gang did not realize they awoke the Original Father when asking for his help to kill Klaus. Not even Katherine knew his true identity and she was an expert on the Originals from running from them over 500 years.
- In Le Grand Guignol, Marcel describes Mikael as "The worst of them all," in regards to the threats he has faced and survived. Similarly Klaus states the Mikael was the monster that monsters were afraid of."
- He is resurrected by Davina in From a Cradle to a Grave. Davina uses the birth of Hope, Nexus Vorti, to resurrect Mikael.
- He is technically the first Original Vampire in history to be fully resurrected in both body and spirit, his body having been burnt to ashes with the White Oak Stake, is restored with his spirit, with Klaus' body not burning fully in Season 3, as well as his spirit not being in his body, was able to return his spirit to his body without harm. Alaric is the second Original to be fully resurrected in both body and spirit.
- Mikael's characterization in the flashbacks of his children is somewhat different from the characterization he has when people are dealing with him directly. This may be because all of his appearance in flashbacks have been narrated by his children, who have a strong bias against him. Mikael was hard and strict on his children, especially Klaus, try to justifying his abusive behavior of Klaus as necessary to make him stronger to survive before it became a habit he seemed to enjoy. Upon learning Klaus was not his true son, and after Esther's murder, Mikael lost whatever feeling he may have had to his once son, desiring vengeance for 1,000 years, something he has not shown to other characters except his children, enforcing their bias.
- Mikael was seemingly unaffected by the werewolf venom in the blood he fed on from Marcel's army. It's possible their bodies may have filtered the poison from their blood when he drank from them, or the venom may not have had time to kick in, or his body was able to tolerate the venom unlike other vampires.
- According to Sebastian Roche, the emotion and focus that he has to summon to play Mikael is actually somewhat exhausting, though in a good way.
- To guarantee the survival of his kids, he felt he did what he had to do.
- To turn his children immortal seemed like a good idea at the time .
- What have I done? - All he wanted was not to see his children die anymore. But what he created were monsters.
- He decided it was all his fault, and was determined to put things right by killing his children.
- He was the only one who could potentially kill Klaus and was the only thing in the world Klaus feared.
- He was the archetypical Archnemesis Dad - hunting down his own offspring.
- He had the weapons and the determination to kill his own children for what they had become. (Or maybe only Klaus)
- Klaus eventually got the upper hand (and the White Oak Stake) and committed Patricide .
- He also regretted what he had become , and forfeit drinking from living creatures.
- Was a very distant father to his children, specially Klaus. Nothing they did elicited a compliment - just more critics.
- He was an abusive parent.