|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 4|
|Air date||September 30th 2010|
|Written by||Caroline Dries|
|Directed by||Rob Hardy|
|Episode Guide transcript|
Bad Moon Rising
Kill or Be Killed
DAMON MAKES A DANGEROUS ENEMY — Stefan takes drastic measures to find out the real reason Katherine has returned to Mystic Falls, and is shocked when she reveals new secrets about what really happened in 1864. Damon tries a new tactic to resolve his issues with Mason, but it proves costly. Tyler pushes Mason to tell him the truth about the Lockwoods. Finally when Katherine delivers an ultimatum, Stefan and Elena are left with very few options.
The episode starts with Stefan's dream — as he imagines Katherine and him dancing at the Founder's Ball, back in 1864, then he sees Damon and Elena together, but Elena is dressed in present day clothes. Then they are going out of the door at the Lockwood Mansion where the party was, following Damon and Elena, evolving into the present day where he watches Damon and Elena kiss at the Grill while playing a game of pool. Then Katherine shows up still in her dress from the party and says that now he knows how she feels. Stefan wakes up in panic, only to find out that Katherine is in bed with him, posing as Elena. She says that she used her powers to get inside his head.
When he asks why she came back, she says that she came back for him. Tyler tries to question his uncle Mason about his shifting into a wolf. He assures Tyler that he's not going to become a werewolf and Richard (Tyler's Father) was not a werewolf, even though the gene runs in their blood. Tyler keeps asking Mason how the curse can get triggered, and according to Mason later in the episode he says that he needs to kill somebody (human blood) and then the curse was his forever.
Back at the Salvatore Boarding house Katherine reveals to Stefan that George Lockwood was the reason for the "round up" of the vampires. Katherine then questioned him why he came back to Mystic Falls, then falsely agrees to what she said that he came back to fall in love with her all over again, and not because of Elena. Acting as if he was still in love with her, and as he is about to kiss her, he stabs a vervain dart in her back and chains her in the cellar to confess the truth of why she came back to Mystic Falls even if he has to torture her to get her to confess. In the next flashback at the Founder's Ball, Katherine says to George Lockwood that he knows her secret (vampire), and she knows his (werewolf). At Jenna's barbecue, that Alaric told her to throw and invite Mason Lockwood — who was a friend of hers during high school, so they can learn more about him, it turns out that Mason knew something about Damon. When Damon teasingly called him "Lone Wolf", Mason shoots back in his own comment "Lady-Killer".
[[File:MemoryLane22.jpg|thumb|right|168px|Stefan and Katherine during the Founder's Ball.]
Once alone in the kitchen Mason confronts Damon and says that he knew what the barbecue was all about, and that he wasn't his enemy. Mason reveals that once he shifts he has no control over himself, and then he calls a "truce". Outside, Damon stabs Mason with a silver knife, and it did nothing, except making an enemy, as he said to Damon.
At the cellar Katherine keeps insisting that Stefan loves her and then comes the flashback of when Stefan confesses his love for Katherine after the Founder's Ball, without compulsion, as she said,"I never compelled your love. It was real and so was mine." Katherine also revealed that back in 1864, she made a deal with George to have all the vampires killed in the church in exchange for her escape, and her part of the deal was to give him what he wanted, the moonstone, that also Mason wants. She says that her plan nearly failed before it even began, when Stefan's father spiked his blood with vervain and that night of the "round up", she was poisoned. She says that, that night she didn't want to be saved, and angrily Stefan says that they died for nothing, but stays silent when she adds that they died for love.
Meanwhile Caroline tries to keep Elena busy, as Katherine asked her to do so, so she could spend time with Stefan without Elena interfering. As Caroline was failing to do so, she kept saying to Elena that things weren't going to work out between her and Stefan. She insisted on driving Elena to Stefan's, and with a flat tire and Caroline not wanting to call for help, Elena finally managed to get to the Boarding House. Katherine threatens Stefan that if she doesn't get what she wants she has no problem killing Elena and a list of other victims. When he tries to attack her she throws him on the floor and angrily takes the chains off, she reveals that vervain doesn't hurt her since she's been drinking vervain over the last 145 years, because of the night he caught her by surprise when his father spiked his blood, and she didn't want it to happen again. She admits that she only faked it so she could spend time with him, then they get interrupted by Elena's voice from upstairs. Katherine quickly puts a stake through Stefan's leg and goes upstairs. Elena turns around only to come face to face with her doppelgänger. Both Katherine, but mostly Elena, are stunned with the resemblance. Katherine quickly leaves when Stefan comes upstairs.
Later that night at the grill Katherine tells Caroline that she already killed her once, and that she could easily do it again, if she didn't do her work. While Damon and Caroline where listening, Stefan and Elena agreed to back off their relationship. But when Elena returns to her room, it's seen that it was only a fake fight so they could fool the others, including Katherine, into believing that they broke up.
In the end of the episode Katherine remembers when she was escaping from Mystic Falls, with the help of George. As she looked behind her she saw both Damon and Stefan on the ground after being shot, and before she leaves in her carriage she goes to Stefan. Saying that she loves him, she kisses him, promising that they will be together again.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert/Katherine Pierce
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert (credit only)
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett (credit only)
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan (credit only)
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman
- Antagonist: Katherine Pierce
- This is the first flashback episode in Season Two and fourth of the series. Also the first one not to be focused on Stefan or Damon.
- Elena and Katherine finally meet in this episode.
- Katherine has more screen time than Elena.
- This episode had 3.2 million viewers in the USA.
- Mason meets Alaric in this episode. He will interact with Elena and Caroline in the next episode.
- Katherine recreates the first event of Miss Mystic Falls in Stefan's memories.
- Dances With Wolves - Oscar-winning movie released in 1990 in which Lt. John Dunbar (Kevin Costner), exiled to a remote western Civil War outpost, befriends wolves and Indians, making him an intolerable aberration in the military.
- Pictionary - A guessing word game where the team has to identify specific words from their teammates' drawings.
- Katherine: "It was easy to get inside of your head. Have you completely forsaken your nature?
- (Stefan attacks Katherine who then pushes him across the room.)
- Katherine: "Are we really going to do this again? We both know I could rip you to shreds and do my nails at the same time."
- Stefan: "What do you want?"
- Katherine: "I wanted to see you, I miss you Stefan. Indulge me for a little while please."
- Stefan: "Why are you back in town?"
- Katherine: "Three reasons: You, you, and...You."
- Tyler: "Come on man give me two minutes. Alright, you can't keep dodging me. I'm freaking out over here."
- Mason: "Tyler, what do you want me to say man? Yes I turn into a wolf. No it's not gonna happen to you."
- Tyler: "How do you know that?"
- Mason: "Because your not gonna trigger the curse. Your dad didn't know anything about any of this and neither did I until it happened to me."
- Tyler: "How does it get triggered?"
- Mason: "Ignorance is bliss. Trust me."
- Henry: "I looked into those attacks from the other night. It wasn't vampires."
- Katherine: "That's good news, Henry. It means we have nothing to worry about."
- Henry: "I'm afraid you don't understand. Those folks were ripped apart in ways I've never seen before."
- Katherine: "Have you not heard the words that I've said, I've answer that question five times over now."
- Stefan: "Well good make it six."
- Katherine: "I want what I want Stefan, and I don't care what I have to do to get it, my list if victims is a long one and I have no problem adding one more name to that list."
- Stefan: "Come on Katherine, if you wanted Elena dead, you would have done it by now."
- Katherine: "Still can."
- Katherine (to Stefan): "If I have to, I will snap her neck like a twig and you know it."
- Katherine: "Guess you don't hate me as much as you thought you did."
- Katherine: "I don't want you seeing Elena anymore, if you don't remove her from your life, I will kill everyone that she loves while she watch, and then I will kill her while you watch."
- Elena: "What do you want?"
- Damon: "So this is where you spend your time when you're not stabbing people in the back."
- Elena: "I tricked you. That's not stabbing you in the back; it's using your own tactics against you."
- Damon: "Where are you going?"
- Elena: "I made myself clear, Damon. I don't want anything to do with you."
- Damon: "Okay, see you at Jenna's barbecue."
- Elena: "How do you know about Jenna's barbecue?"
- Damon: "Well it was my idea. Jenna went to school with Mason, so I figured it was a good opportunity to get to know the guy. So I asked Alaric, to ask Jenna..."
- Elena: "Does Jenna know you're coming? 'Cause she's not exactly a big fan of yours."
- Damon: "Well I figured this peach cobbler would be a good way."
- Elena: "What are you up to?"
- Damon: "I'm gonna stick some silver into Mason Lockwood to prove he's a werewolf. See you at the barbecue."
- Mason (to Damon): "I heard great things about you."
- Damon: "Really? That’s weird because I’m a dick."
- Damon(to Mason): "I pegged you for the lone wolf."
- Mason: "I’m sure I’m not half the lady killer you are."
- Stefan: "They were your friends. They were your family. And you just sold them out."
- Katherine: "Without blinking."
- Jenna (To Elena): "I`ll be nice when Damon learns to keep his paws off you."