Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||I love you, Stefan. We will be together again, I promise.||”|
— Katherine to a deceased/transitioning Stefan
DAMON MAKES A DANGEROUS ENEMY — Stefan takes drastic measures to find out the real reason Katherine has returned to Mystic Falls, and is shocked when she reveals new secrets about what really happened in 1864. Damon tries a new tactic to resolve his issues with Mason, but it proves costly. Tyler pushes Mason to tell him the truth about the Lockwoods. Finally when Katherine delivers an ultimatum, Stefan and Elena are left with very few options.
The episode starts with Stefan's dream — as he imagines Katherine and him dancing at the Founder's Ball, back in 1864. Then he sees Damon and Elena together, but Elena is dressed in present day clothes. Then they are going out of the door at the Lockwood Mansion where the party was, following Damon and Elena, evolving into the present day where he watches Damon and Elena kiss at the Grill while playing a game of pool. Then Katherine shows up still in her dress from the party and says that now he knows how she feels. Stefan wakes up in panic, only to find out that Katherine is in bed with him, posing as Elena. She says that she used her powers to get inside his head.
When he asks why she came back, she says that she came back for him. Tyler tries to question his uncle Mason about his shifting into a wolf. He assures Tyler that he's not going to become a werewolf and Richard (Tyler's Father) was not a werewolf, even though the gene runs in their blood. Tyler keeps asking Mason how the curse can get triggered, and according to Mason later in the episode he says that he needs to kill somebody (human blood) and then the curse will be his forever.
Back at the Salvatore Boarding House, Katherine reveals to Stefan that George Lockwood was the reason for the "round up" of the vampires. Katherine then questioned him why he came back to Mystic Falls, then falsely agrees to what she said that he came back to fall in love with her all over again, and not because of Elena. Acting as if he was still in love with her, and as he is about to kiss her, he stabs a vervain dart in her back and chains her in the cellar to confess the truth of why she came back to Mystic Falls even if he has to torture her to get her to confess. In the next flashback at the Founder's Ball, Katherine tells George Lockwood that he knows her secret (vampire), and she knows his (werewolf). At Jenna's barbecue, that Alaric told her to throw and invite Mason Lockwood, who was a friend of hers during high school, so they can learn more about him, it turns out that Mason knows something about Damon. When Damon teasingly calls him "Lone Wolf", Mason shoots back with his own comment "Lady-Killer".
Once alone in the kitchen, Mason confronts Damon and says that he knew what the barbecue was all about, and that he wasn't his enemy. Mason reveals that once he shifts he has no control over himself, and then he calls a "truce". Outside, Damon stabs Mason with a silver knife, but it does nothing, except making an enemy, as he said to Damon.
At the cellar, Katherine keeps insisting that Stefan loves her and then comes the flashback of when Stefan confesses his love for Katherine after the Founder's Ball, without compulsion, as she said,"I never compelled your love. It was real and so was mine." Katherine also reveals that back in 1864, she made a deal with George to have all the vampires killed in the church in exchange for her escape, and her part of the deal was to give him what he wanted, the moonstone, that Mason also wants. She says that her plan nearly failed before it even began, when Stefan's father spiked his blood with vervain and that night of the "round up", she was poisoned. She says that that night, she didn't wanted to be saved, and angrily Stefan says that they died for nothing, but stays silent when she adds that they died for love.
Meanwhile, Caroline tries to keep Elena busy, as Katherine asked her to do so, so she could spend time with Stefan without Elena interfering. As Caroline was failing to do so, she kept saying to Elena that things weren't going to work out between her and Stefan. She insisted on driving Elena to Stefan's, and with a flat tire and Caroline not wanting to call for help, Elena finally managed to get to the Boarding House. Katherine threatens Stefan that if she doesn't get what she wants, she has no problem killing Elena and a list of other victims. When he tries to attack her, she throws him on the floor and angrily takes the chains off, revealing that vervain doesn't hurt her since she's been drinking vervain over the last 145 years, because of the night he caught her by surprise when his father spiked his blood, and she didn't want it to happen again. She admits that she only faked it so she could spend time with him, then they get interrupted by Elena's voice from upstairs. Katherine quickly puts a stake through Stefan's leg and goes upstairs. Elena turns around only to come face to face with her doppelgänger. Both Katherine, but mostly Elena, are stunned with the resemblance. Katherine quickly leaves when Stefan comes upstairs.
Later that night at the grill, Katherine tells Caroline that she already killed her once, and that she could easily do it again, if she didn't do her work. While Damon and Caroline where listening, Stefan and Elena agreed to back off their relationship. But when Elena returns to her room, it's seen that it was only a fake fight so they could fool the others, including Katherine, into believing that they broke up.
At the end of the episode, Katherine remembers when she was escaping from Mystic Falls, with the help of George. As she looked behind her, she saw both Damon and Stefan on the ground after being shot, and before she leaves in her carriage, she goes to Stefan, saying that she loves him and kisses him, promising that they will be together again.
- Antagonist: Katherine Pierce.
- This is the first flashback episode in Season Two and the fourth flashback episode of the series overall. It's also the first set of flashbacks that do not focus on Stefan or Damon.
- Elena and Katherine finally meet for the first time in this episode.
- Katherine has more screen time than Elena in this episode.
- Mason meets Alaric in this episode.
- Katherine reminds Stefan of the events of the First Founders' Party in 1864.
- Katherine is revealed to have asked George Lockwood for 27 vampires to recorded as having been burned in the church after the vampire round-up, including herself, even though there were at least 28 in Mystic Falls. This left some people to speculate that she was saving Anna to use in the sacrifice.
- The dream Katherine used her powers to give Stefan that involved Elena and Damon being a couple is foreshadowing their actual romantic relationship that would later become official in Season Four.
- Dances With Wolves - Oscar-winning movie released in 1990 in which Lt. John Dunbar (Kevin Costner), who is exiled to a remote western outpost, befriends wolves and Native Americans, making him an intolerable aberration in the military.
- Pictionary - A guessing word game where the team has to identify specific words from their teammates' drawings.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 3.20 million viewers in USA, which was 0.37 million less than the previous episode.
- Katherine: "It was easy to get inside of your head. Have you completely forsaken your nature?
- (Stefan attacks Katherine who then pushes him across the room.)
- Katherine: "Are we really going to do this again? We both know I could rip you to shreds and do my nails at the same time."
- Stefan: "What do you want?"
- Katherine: "I wanted to see you. I miss you Stefan. Indulge me for a little while, please?"
- Stefan: "Why are you back in town?"
- Katherine: "Three reasons: You, you and... You."
- Tyler: "Come on man, give me two minutes, alright? You can't keep dodging me. I'm freaking out over here."
- Mason: "Tyler, what do you want me to say, man? Yes, I turn into a wolf. No, it's not gonna happen to you."
- Tyler: "How do you know that?"
- Mason: "Because you're not gonna trigger the curse. Your dad didn't know anything about any of this, and neither did I until it happened to me."
- Tyler: "How does it get triggered?"
- Mason: "Ignorance is bliss. Trust me."
- Henry: "I looked into those attacks from the other night. It wasn't vampires."
- Katherine: "That's good news, Henry. It means we have nothing to worry about."
- Henry: "I'm afraid you don't understand. Those folks were ripped apart in ways I've never seen before."
- Katherine: "Have you not heard the words that I've said? I've answered that question five times over now."
- Stefan: "Well, good, make it six."
- Katherine: "I want what I want Stefan, and I don't care what I have to do to get it. My list of victims is a long one, and I have no problem adding one more name to that list."
- Stefan: "Come on Katherine, if you wanted Elena dead, you would have done it by now."
- Katherine: "Still can."
- Katherine (to Stefan about Elena): "If I have to, I will snap her neck like a twig and you know it."
- Katherine: (to Stefan)"I don't want you seeing Elena anymore. If you don't remove her from your life, I will kill everyone that she loves while she watches, and then I will kill her while you watch."
- Elena: "What do you want?"
- Damon: "So, this is where you spend your time when you're not stabbing people in the back."
- Elena: "I tricked you. That's not stabbing you in the back-- it's using your own tactics against you."
- Damon: "Where are you going?"
- Elena: "I made myself clear, Damon. I don't want anything to do with you."
- Damon: "Okay. See you at Jenna's barbecue."
- Elena: "How do you know about Jenna's barbecue?"
- Damon: "Well, it was my idea. Jenna went to school with Mason, so I figured it was a good opportunity to get to know the guy. So, I asked Alaric to ask Jenna..."
- Elena: "Does Jenna know you're coming? 'Cause she's not exactly a big fan of yours."
- Damon: "Well I figured this peach cobbler would be a good way."
- Elena: "What are you up to?"
- Damon: "I'm gonna stick some silver into Mason Lockwood to prove he's a werewolf. See you at the barbecue."
- Mason (to Damon): "I heard great things about you."
- Damon: "Really? That’s weird because I’m a dick."
- Damon (to Mason): "I pegged you for the lone wolf."
- Mason: "I’m sure I’m not half the lady-killer you are."
- Stefan: "They were your friends. They were your family. And you just sold them out."
- Katherine: "Without blinking."
- Jenna (to Elena): "I'll be nice when Damon learns to keep his paws off you."