|“||Shame about Mary, she used to be a blast. Don’t quite know what happened. I fear all the time she spent with my family might have ruined her. She was a bit of an Original groupie.||”|
Mary Porter was a vampire who turned Rose and Lillian - who was lost after the turning - into vampires back in the 15th century. In the present time, she lived in a house which Damon referred to as a "vampire hoarder" in Kansas. She belongs to the same bloodline as Katherine, Stefan, Damon, Abby, Caroline and Elena. She was turned by Klaus and killed by Kol in his attempt to prevent Damon from finding out who turned her in order to find out who his bloodline originated from. Kol called her an "Original-Groupie", spending intimate time with Elijah, Klaus, Kol, and even Rebekah. She was found dead, hanging on the wall inside of her house with a baseball bat through her heart.
Although Mary was destroyed before interacting with the main characters, it is mentioned part of her nature, as well as her lifestyle. Damon refers to her as super creepy but not ugly. This can be asserted in her lifestyle, as she used to live in remote places, dark, damaged, and one can assume that attracted men for fun (Damon referencing that they had intercourse). One of the qualities of Mary is that she hid or live a life in the shadows, this could be due to its lack to walk freely in the day. Kol hints that time spent with his family may have driven her to her current state.
We know almost nothing about Mary Porter's appearance except her hair (ginger-blonde, medium length, wavy) because before we could see her, Kol killed her to prevent Elena and Damon from finding out who turned her - so we see her as a corpse with closed eyes and ashen-grey skin.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
These powers grow stronger with age and blood.
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful then werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short distances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - The supernatural ability to control and manipulate the emotions of one's self, and others.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Heightened Senses - Vampires have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that far exceed those of humans and werewolves.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection.
- Healing Factor - Vampires heal extremely quickly, but still feel the pain of a wound before it heals. Vampires can snap their bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.The only injury that cannot be healed on its own is a werewolf bite.
- Super Durability - Vampires can take a great amount of damage.
- Fangs - Vampires can grow fangs which they use to feed, they might come out when a vampire is close to blood or angered.
- Decapitation: The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Fire or Sunlight: The act of exposing a vampire to fire or sunlight will result in permanent death.
- Vervain: The act of exposing or ingesting a vampire with vervain causes a vampire to become severely feverish and weak. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them. Also vampires can't compel anyone on vervain.
- Wood: The act of wounding a vampire with wood will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in permanent death.
- Heart Extraction: The act of extracting or removing the heart of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a home without an invitation by the owner.
- Magic: Vampires are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft including the creation of harmful magical objects.
- Desiccation: Vampires who abstain from blood for extended amounts of time will eventually desiccate into mummification.
- Vampire Bloodline: If an Original vampire dies, all vampires descended from their bloodline will slowly perish.
- Werewolf Bite: The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to vampires. It will cause them to hallucinate, grow severely weak and go rabid until it kills them. Klaus' hybrid blood can cure the bite.
- Broken Neck: Breaking a vampires neck is a common way to subdue one, it will not kill them but it will keep them unconscious for several hours and when they are still unconscious they won't have a pulse and appear to be dead.
- Heart of Darkness (corpse)
Mary's name may mean various sources for the name is the Hebrew מרר m-r-r meaning "bitterness". Other meanings suggested include "rebelliousness" (מרי m-r-y), or "wished for child" or "Our Lady" (ש"ע מריה Sha Mrih) or "beloved lady", as well as the name could also be a name of Egyptian origin, perhaps from the word elements mry, meaning "beloved" or meaning "love". Both meanings in Hebrew and Egyptian, refers to the personality and purpose of the character in the series.
Porter is a surname of Old French origin, and has two possible sources; firstly, it may be an occupational name for the gatekeeper of a town, or a doorkeeper of a large house, secondly, it may be an occupational name for a person who carried loads for a living.
- Initially, Mary was the name for the last member of the Fell Family in the series, but was changed to Meredith.
- She was nicknamed 'Scary Mary' by Damon.
- She was the first character to make her first appearance dead.
- She first was seen in Heart of Darkness, after Jeremy Gilbert contacted Rose about who her sire was.
- She was an Original Vampire 'groupie', according to Kol.
- She lived in a very cluttered house and was referred to as a vampire hoarder.
- She was staked by Kol in Heart of Darkness.
- According to Kol, she knew him and Rebekah, was there during the 'Klaus era' and had something going on with Elijah.
- According to the words of Kol, it is confirmed that Mary never met Finn. This may imply that she should have between 800 to 600 years.
- She is the only vampire shown on screen to never have any dialogue.
- Mary was turned by Niklaus according to Rebekah in The Departed.
- Chronologically, Mary (before 1500 AD) was one of the oldest and most powerful vampires in the series, being overtaken by Sage.
- Mary's physical appearance may be indirectly based off the character of Katherine von Swartzschild from The Vampire Diaries books.