Marty was a former merchant marine who had become an alcoholic. Marty also worked for a charter bus company.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
In I Went to the Woods, Marty gets into a drunk car accident and he dies, but Stefan possesses his body and starts trying to save some of the people from the bus Marty hit. After almost getting arrested and handcuffed, Stefan escapes and gets his cuffs off at an unknown cabin. It's revealed that Marty has previous history of alcoholism and would die in the cold from detox. Stefan is then found in the cold by Damon and he gives him some food to eat. It is then revealed that Marty's body is beginning to die since a human body can't hold a vampire soul.
In One Way or Another, Stefan is transferred back into his body in the nick of time, leaving behind Marty's corpse.
It is unknown, but it's been suggested that he had demons of his own since he was an alcoholic, which lead to his death.
He has a rough appearance because of his occupation and by being an addict. He wears ragged clothes and has a messy hairstyle. He had shaggy, dirty blonde hair and dark, blue eyes. In previous photo of him, Marty had a cleaner appearance and more clean shaven, with a slight hair on his chin. Marty had a tattoo of an anchor on his arm.
- I Went to the Woods (Possessed by Stefan Salvatore)
- One Way or Another (Possessed by Stefan Salvatore)
- Marty is a Latin baby name and means "of Mars" or "warlike". It could also be a shortened variation of Martin.
- Hammond is German. It derives from the Old German word Haimund for house or home protector.
- According to the casting sides, Marty is just a vessel for a vampire that was stuck in the Phoenix Stone for over a century and is a drunk truck driver.
- This information has been proven partly wrong as Stefan is possessing him and Stefan was not trapped in the Phoenix Stone for a century.
- With confirmation that human souls are found in the dimensions, Marty either went to The Bright World or Hell.