|“||Right now, she doesn't remember anything. A part of her is still human, but slowly, the deeper she gets into the transition, the memories will start to come back, and then she'll know she has to make the choice.||”|
THE TRUTH CAN BE VERY, VERY DEADLY — Elena demands that Stefan explain the frightening events that have been happening in Mystic Falls. In a string of flashbacks, Stefan explains how his rivalry with Damon began back in the Civil War when they both met the love of their lives, Katherine, the vampire who sired both of them. In the present, Damon impulsively takes control of Vicki's future, and a confused and terrified Vicki runs away. Also, Sheriff Forbes, Mayor Lockwood and Logan and also the others take drastic steps to protect their town.
|The episode starts from exactly where the previous episode ended where Elena asks Stefan what he is. Before Stefan gives her an answer, there is a flashback to 1864 and we see Katherine and Stefan meet. Back to 2009, Stefan admits that he is a vampire and Elena is shocked and tries to run away even though Stefan tries to explain. He follows her at her home to promise he won't hurt her and let her know that it was Damon who kills and not him. Elena, though is still freaked out and she asks him to leave.
Meanwhile Damon is at the cemetery trying to cover his tracks after killing Vicki's friends. He calls Stefan asking for his ring while he douses the bodies with alcohol to burn them. Stefan says he'll get his ring back but not right away. They hang up and when he goes to Vicki to douse her too, she wakes up.
The next day Elena meets Stefan at a public place to talk things over. Stefan answers her questions referring to vampires, but she is mad at how he let Damon play with Caroline like that. Stefan agrees that it was not right but it's more dangerous to forbid Damon do something that he wants. He also tells her that years ago, people in Mystic Falls were aware about vampires and he asks her not to tell anyone. Elena is not sure about that but she agrees to give him one day to convince her not to do it.
Sheriff Elizabeth Forbes and Logan find the burnt bodies and they know that a vampire was responsible. Logan informs her that he managed to take the Gilbert watch and now they have to take it to the Mayor. The Mayor gets the watch and fits it into one of the other antiques, he says that it's ready and it hands it back to Logan.
Damon is trapped at the Salvatore Boarding House since he can't get out to the sunlight and he is getting impatient waiting for Stefan to bring him his ring. He brought Vicki at the house who's lying in the couch. He decides to feed her his blood even though he says that he'll regret it. Vicki feels much better after drinking the blood and the two of them have fun partying around the house dancing and drinking. They move the party into Stefan's room and Damon picks up Katherine's picture, and appears upset, and at an unexpected moment, Damon snaps Vicki's neck.
Stefan takes Elena into the woods where his house had been and he continues telling her about his past. While he talks, another flashback with him, Katherine and Damon appears. The two brothers play football and Katherine interrupts and flirts with Stefan, takes the ball and runs making the two brothers chase her. At another scene, Katherine says that she needs a date for the Founder's Ball and both brothers offer themselves with pleasure. Back at the present, Stefan tells Elena that Katherine chose him to escort her at the Founder's Ball. Damon was not mad with her choice, but he doesn't get mad he gets even. Stefan tells Elena that the night he took Katherine to the Ball, Damon was also with her. Back in 1864, where Katherine and Stefan are together in bed and it's revealed that Katherine is a vampire and bites Stefan. The next morning, Stefan is horrified but she compels him not to say anything and she tells Stefan that her, him and Damon will be always together. Stefan tells Elena that Katherine was controlling his mind and compelled both brothers not to tell each other the secret.
Meanwhile Vicki wakes up in transition, unaware what's happened to her. Damon tells her that she is dead since he killed her and she informs her that now she only has to feed on a human to complete the transition. Vicki doesn't believe a thing of what he tells her and she leaves to go to Jeremy. By the time she gets there, her eyes are bothered by the sun and she is hungry. Jeremy thinks she is high and because of her strange behavior, so he calls her brother. Matt gets there but he can't do much to help Vicki, as she has grown extremely agitated by the two boy's questioning her, and when Elena and Stefan arrive. Stefan realizes what is happening and he compels Vicki to calm down. He then explains to Elena and tells her that Vicki has to feed on human blood otherwise she'll die. Jeremy and Vicki are alone in his room but she runs away when she feels the need to bite him. Stefan says he can track her and leaves to find her.
At nightfall, Damon can now get out of the house and goes to Elena's house. He sees that she is afraid of him and he figures that Stefan told her about there secret. He reassures her that he is not there to hurt her but he is looking for Stefan. Since Stefan is not there, he leaves asking Elena to tell Stefan that he is looking for him in case she sees him. Meanwhile, Logan Fell uses the Gilbert Compass searching for vampires.
Stefan finds Vicki crying in the woods. She starts remembering things and now she knows what is happening to her. Stefan promises that he can help her but Logan arrives and shoots him with wooden bullets. Logan is about to stake Stefan but Vicki pushes him away and Damon gets there and bites Logan. He then takes the bullet out of Stefan and he notices that it's wooden realizing that people know about them. He takes his ring back and Vicki feeds on Logan's bite wound, completing the transition, she apologizes to Stefan and runs away into the darkness.
Stefan returns to Elena, explains what happened and he apologizes that he couldn't help Vicki. He vows to teach her not to drink on humans but on animals. Elena promises that she won't tell anyone about him being a vampire but she breaks up with him.
- Antagonists: Damon Salvatore (present), Logan Fell (present) and Katherine Pierce (past).
- This is the first flashback episode.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Katherine Pierce, but only through flashbacks to 1864.
- Elena learns the existence of vampires in this episode. She's also scared of Stefan at the beginning of this episode.
- Stefan explains to Elena the reality of vampires and its differences from the myths.
- Stefan and Damon's childhood home is seen for the first time in the 1864 flashback and the ruins of the house are seen in 2009 as this is where Stefan hid Damon's daylight ring. As revealed in A Bird In A Gilded Cage the house was still standing in 1903. In 2013 Lily will have hidden Elena's coffin at the ruins from Damon under a cloaking spell by Beau.
- Damon tells Stefan if he doesn't return his daylight ring, he'll hurt Elena.
- Elena asks Stefan if he ever compelled her. He tells her no and points to the necklace that he gave her in Friday Night Bites, stating that it protects her from compulsion. Stefan tells her he gave it to her both to protect her from other vampires and also so he wouldn't be tempted to compel her himself.
- This is the first episode where someone other than Damon is functioning as an antagonist; in this case, Logan Fell was the antagonist, acting as an extension of the Founder's Council.
- This marks the first corporeal appearance in the series of Katherine in the flashbacks to 1864. She is also revealed to be a vampire in this episode.
- Vicki becomes a vampire in this episode after dying with Damon's blood in her system. She ultimately completes the transition by feeding on Logan Fell after she was unable to resist his blood after he was killed by Damon. It was later revealed that Logan became a vampire himself in this episode after he unknowingly died with Anna's blood in his system, although this was not seen on-screen.
- Vicki is the first vampire to be seen being turned by Damon's blood in the TV series, though chronologically, it was not the first vampire he has been known to have sired; that title goes to Charlotte, who Damon turned in the 1940s when he was living in New Orleans.
- This episode marks the first time it is demonstrated that vampire blood can heal a human's wounds, as all of Vicki's bite marks disappeared after Damon fed her his blood. Though Damon didn't heal Caroline's wounds from his feeding from her ending up with Caroline having to wear scarves to cover up the bite marks.
- This is the first time Nina Dobrev portrays two characters (Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce) in the same episode.
- The flashback in this episode shows how Stefan and Katherine first meet.
- Vicki's birthday is revealed to be August 20, 1991.
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
- Tony - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Summer - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Jared - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Vicki Donovan - broken neck, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Logan Fell - drained of blood, killed by Damon Salvatore.
- Kevin Williamson originally didn't want to include flashback episodes. However, Julie Plec brought him around to the idea, mainly because Nina Dobrev really wanted to portray Katherine Pierce.
- Caroline, Bonnie, Tyler and Jenna do not appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode of the series in which Caroline or Bonnie did not appear.
- This episode is Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder's all time favorite The Vampire Diaries episode. 
- First appearance of Katherine Pierce (flashback).
- The game of Rugby was developed in England in the mid 1800s, but officially did not arrive to the USA until 1869 – five years later than Damon supposedly learned it from a fellow soldier (History of Football).
- The Lost Boys is a 1987 comedy/horror film starring Kiefer Sutherland about two young Arizonan brothers who move to California and end up fighting a gang of teenage vampires. The title is a reference to the Lost Boys in J. M. Barrie's stories about Peter Pan and Neverland, where people remained forever young.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- This episode had about 3.88 million viewers in USA, which was 0.36 million more than the previous episode.