|“||I only want us to be a family again, Elijah. But, I'm so sorry.. In order for that to happen, you must be purified.||”|
A HIDEOUT IN THE WOODS — Knowing that it’s only a matter of time before Klaus comes after them, Davina takes Mikael to her family cabin in the woods. When Hayley gets a tip that Vincent (Finn) is recruiting young, Unsuspecting teenagers in order to build a werewolf army, she enlists the help of Elijah and Marcel to rescue the group. After Cami inadvertently lets Klaus in on Davina's whereabouts, she tags along in an attempt to truly understand the deeply rooted hatred he has for his parents and ensure he doesn't harm Davina. At his mother’s urging, Kaleb (Kol) seeks out Davina in order to locate the missing white oak stake but is caught off guard when he has a dangerous encounter at the cabin. Lastly, Josh, who continues to struggle with his vampire identity, opens up to an unexpected ally.
|The werewolves who have aligned themselves with Esther and Finn, led by Aiden, crash a party the newly formed vampire community are having in Marcel's loft. Aiden gives Marcel a final warning telling him that he and his army must leave the city as their old deal no longer applies.
Camille is talking to her advisor Vincent, unaware that he is actually Finn Mikaelson. She tells him that New Orleans is a city of death and that the people party to distract them from the inevitability of death. Finn asks her about her relationships with the people in her life who are still living. She tells him that she's attracted to the wrong kind of guy. She talks about Marcel and how she was just a rebound girl for him and that they're not compatible. She then talks about Klaus, how nothing ever happened between them but he got under her skin. She says that in spite of Klaus' dark past, there was good in him. Finn remarks that Camille wanted to save Klaus; Camille states that some people don't want to be saved.
Elijah storms into the compound in search of Klaus only to find Hayley instead. After arguing over some of the wolves decisions to choose to side with Esther and wage war against the vampire community; Hayley threatens that those wolves are still her people and if Elijah chooses to hurt any of them, Esther would be the least of his problems.
On a busy street Camille finally manages to get a hold of Davina, who has been missing for a few days after choosing to take Mikael to her family cabin in the woods. Davina tells Camille that she's fine and that she would return soon before hanging up on her. Unaware that Klaus had been behind her listening to the whole conversation, Camille is surprised when he remarks that it was rude for Davina to hang up, She chastises him because she hasn't seen him in months and just decides to show up. He tells her he needs to find Davina because she has brought Mikael back from the dead and is controlling him. When Camille says that Davina didn't say where she was, Klaus deduces from listening in on the phone call that Davina is at her family's cabin in Terrebonne parish. Camille agrees to go with him to try and reason with Davina.
Elsewhere, Esther and Kol are busy trying to find where Davina is hiding. After attempting a locator spell which quickly goes wrong, Esther remarks what a clever girl Davina is having managed to block their spell. Enter Finn, who quickly begins to argue with Kol over each others failures to keep track of Davina and get information out of Camille. Esther silences them both, then voices her suspicions that Davina holds the white oak stake and encourages Kol to find her and get it back.
At the cabin, Mikael is busy purging himself of the werewolf venom he contracted from the fight in Rousseau's. He asks Davina how much longer must they have to hide like cowards. Davina remarks that both Elijah and Klaus now know that he is alive so they must remain hidden until she is able to break the link between Klaus and her friends. Mikael retaliates that confrontation is inevitable and her fear would prove to be their greatest weakness. Davina reminds Mikael that while she might be weak, she is still in control having spelled the bracelet, that allows her to control Mikael, so that it won't fall off again. Mikael scoffs at her, reminding her that magic can only fight half of her battle. Davina then asks Mikael to teach her how to be strong.
- Antagonists: Mikael, Esther, Kol and Finn.
- After Davina was revealed to have resurrected Mikael and bound him to her will using the The Bracelet of Obedience, the two fled to her family cabin in order to hide out, knowing that Klaus and Elijah would be coming after them.
- Mikael is teaching Davina self-defense in case she needs it if her magic alone won't protect her during an attack.
- Mikael seems to be able to tolerate werewolf bites and their side effects easier through intense focus.
- It also seems that Mikael was able to more easily tolerate the effects of Papa Tunde's Blade than the other Original vampires, considering that Klaus was bedridden the entire time he had the blade in his body, while Mikael was able to pull the blade out of himself after an hour or so. Not even Elijah had enough focus and strength to overcome the blade to do this. It can be presumed that Mikael's heightened tolerance for pain and the discomfort of werewolf bites comes from his Viking upbringing, since he had taught Davina that the ability to overcome pain is a warrior's truest weapon.
- Cami admitted that Klaus has gotten under her skin, indicating that she has real romantic feelings for him.
- Mikael is shown to be stronger than Klaus even with werewolf venom running through his system, as he dominated the fight between them. Each time Mikael has been defeated, it was through a surprise attack, and not because Mikael was weaker.
- Finn reveals that the werewolves from the era he was born had a rite of passage where young werewolves triggered their werewolf curses by killing a human on the blood moon, or La Luna Sanguinis. This rite of passage was supposed to demonstrate an unturned werewolf embracing their inner nature and releasing the warrior within them.
- Mikael forces Kaleb to free him from Davina's control by casting a spell on Davina's bracelet.
- Davina finds out about Kaleb's true identity while performing a spell.
- Esther and Finn ambush and capture Elijah after he and Oliver kill numerous werewolves to distract them from Hayley, Marcel, Aiden and Josh helping the young werewolf teenagers escape town.
- This is the second episode of the season to feature all six main cast members. The first episode was Rebirth.
- Klaus mentioned Mikael's original death, which happened in TVD's Homecoming.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Aiden and his younger brother Nick in the series.
- Davina, Mikael and Kol were last seen in Alive and Kicking
- Cami and Josh were last seen in Rebirth.
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Terrebonne Parish Bar
- Davina's Family Cabin
- Gas Station
Behind the ScenesEdit
- This episode had 1.31 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.04 million more than the previous episode.
- The Live and Let Die (1973) is the eighth James Bond film. The film is partially set in New Orleans and incorporates numerous references to Voodooism.
- "Live and Let Die" is originally a song written by Paul McCartney. The lyrics refer to a young naive person saying Live and let Live. But after being exposed to more of the world and becoming worn down by it, he says Live and Let Die meaning I'm going to do what I want and everyone else can get screwed.
- Davina: "What's that?"
- Mikael: "The crest of our clan. A reminder that we always carry the honor of our ancestors before we go to battle.""
- (He throws the staff at Davina)
- Davina: "I wasn't ready!"
- Mikael: "First lesson-- always be on your guard."
- Davina: "It's heavy."
- Mikael: "I was half your age the first time when my father gave me the staff. I would have torn every muscle rather than let him see me strain. And had I ..." (He attacks Davina, who just barely blocks it in time) "He would have corrected me."
- Davina: "No offence, but your dad sounds like a jerk wad."
- Davina: "You don't look so good. Those bites..."
- Mikael: "Werewolf venom is to be purged by force, not acquiesced to."
- Davina: "And what is that? Like a Viking bumper sticker?"
- Mikael: "Exactly how much longer are we going to be hiding here like cowards?"
- Davina: "Elijah saw you. If he knows you're here, then Klaus does, too. So, sorry, but until I can unlink him from my friends, you're stuck here with me."
- Mikael: "Confrontation is inevitable, child. Your fear will prove to be our greatest disadvantage."
- Davina: "I'm not afraid"
- Mikael: "Well you should be. You are weak."
- Davina: "But I'm still in charge."
- Cami: "What do you want?"
- Klaus: "Well, I have a rather long list of people I need to track down and deal with. And on top of that list is a certain runaway witch."
- Mikael: "Confrontation is inevitable."
- Davina: "I'm not afraid"
- Mikael: "Well you should be."
- Marcel: "We had a deal. Vampires stay out of the Quarter. Everybody's cool.
- Aiden : "That's not good enough anymore."
- [Marcel: "Oh yeah? Says who? You? Or that witch you all answer to now, Lenore, right?"
- Finn as Vincent: "We can no longer afford to hide our children from the horrors of war. From now, on you're either with us or you're against us."
- Cami: "This is a city of death. Fires, floods, to say nothing of the violence we do to each other. We may laissez les bon temps rouler, but really, we've turned life here into one big party to distract ourselves from a single, unavoidable truth: we're all going to die."