Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
FLASH-FORWARD-- PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL, 2016
[A sad-looking Bonnie is sitting silently in a chair in a plain-looking room. She's not wearing any makeup, and she looks very troubled. After a moment, a woman speaks to her softly]
- WOMAN: Bonnie, is there something you wanted to talk about?
[Bonnie hesitates for a moment before she replies]
- BONNIE: I guess, um... I've been thinking a lot about the past lately. How one stupid decision can...
[Bonnie takes a deep, nervous breath]
- BONNIE: ...Can turn your life into something that you don't recognize. Like it belongs to someone else. I made a mistake, and I lost someone I loved... And I'd do anything to take it back, but I can't. All I can do is...
[Bonnie gulps anxiously as a tear falls down her cheek, and she quickly wipes it away]
- BONNIE: ...Try and find a way to live with it.
[Bonnie squirms nervously in her seat and clears her throat. The camera pans away, revealing that Bonnie is wearing pajamas and slippers as she sits in a circle with six similarly dressed people in a psychiatric facility. The woman leading the group therapy smiles at her]
- WOMAN: Thank you, Bonnie.
[The woman jots a note on her clipboard before turning to the person next to Bonnie]
- WOMAN: Alex, is there something you'd like to share with the group?
[After group therapy is over, Bonnie returns to her room, and when she turns on her light, she's surprised to see Enzo waiting for her there. Bonnie's expression is a mix of surprise, concern, and relief]
- BONNIE: What are you doing here?
[Enzo stands to his feet to greet her, looking grim]
- ENZO: Things are bad out there, love. You can't hide in here forever.
[Bonnie pauses for a moment before smiling and lunging for Enzo. She wraps her arms around his neck and starts making out with him, and Enzo happily returns the kiss]
TITLE CARD & OPENING CREDITS
PRESENT DAY-- ALARIC'S APARTMENT
[Bonnie arrives at Alaric's apartment with a cardboard box in her hands. Alaric is sitting at Jo's bedside, where she is fast asleep]
- BONNIE: Hey, how's she doing?
- ALARIC: [worriedly] I don't know. She's been sleeping for twelve hours. That's normal, right?
[Bonnie side-eyes him]
- BONNIE: Yesterday she was dead. Today she's alive. I'm not sure normal applies.
[Alaric notices the box in Bonnie's hands]
- ALARIC: Please tell me that's food.
- BONNIE: Term papers. They were jamming up your inbox. You are still employed as a professor here.
[Alaric stands up to take the box from her and smiles]
- ALARIC: Hey, do you want a job as my new TA? All you have to do is write, "Interesting point," in a few margins and then give everyone a B+.
- BONNIE: Tempting, but I need to figure out exactly how I brought your wife back to the land of the living.
- ALARIC: Look. She's here. She's okay. What does it matter now?
- BONNIE: [gives him a look] Because in less than 24 hours, I raised two people from the dead with a sketchy spell and something called a Phoenix stone... No research, no rehearsal time, and no contingency plan. And now that I have a little breathing room, I want to figure out what kind of magic I was dealing with just in case I opened up Pandora's rock. So, can I have it back, please?
[Alaric sighs and pulls the Phoenix Stone out of a small box on an end table where he hid it. He holds it out to Bonnie, who reaches out to take it, only for him to yank it away with a smile. He then puts the stone in Bonnie's hand, and she smiles at him before she turns to leave. Once Bonnie is gone, Jo starts to stir awake, and Alaric rushes back to her side, smiling excitedly]
- ALARIC: Oh, hey. Hey, sweetheart, how you feeling?
[Jo looks confused for a long moment as she sits up and looks around. After a moment, she looks up at Alaric]
- JO: I'm starving.
[This pleases Alaric, who laughs in relief]
CAROLINE'S AND BONNIE'S DORM
[Caroline and Stefan are still spooning in Caroline's bed after they had sex the previous night. Caroline is awake and looks antsy, and Stefan pretends to still be asleep for a moment before she finally speaks]
- STEFAN: This is torture for you, isn't it?
[Caroline, embarrassed for having been called out, lies badly to him]
- CAROLINE: No...
[It's clear that Stefan doesn't believe her, and he just smiles in amusement]
- STEFAN: Hmm.
- CAROLINE: No! I'm so happy just lying here and doing nothing. Just... listening to you... breathe.
- STEFAN: Mmhmm. Just making a mental checklist of all the things you need to do today? Debating whether you should accidentally kick me awake?
[Caroline smiles and turns so she can face him]
- CAROLINE: Uh, did you say kick, or did you say kiss?
- STEFAN: Hmm?
[Caroline grabs the back of Stefan's head and pulls him close to her so she can kiss him, and they both hum happily as they make out]
- CAROLINE: Mmm...
[Just then, Damon walks into the room, startling Caroline and Stefan, who are still only barely dressed. In his hands is a cardboard cup holder with three coffees in it]
- DAMON: Good morning, lovebirds!
[Stefan and Caroline roll away from each other and cover up with blankets as they groan in annoyance]
- STEFAN: Oh...
- CAROLINE: Are you kidding me?
- DAMON: [smiles awkwardly] I brought you some free-range, overpriced coffee... One cream, two sugars, just like you like it.
[Caroline stands up, wrapping her comforter around her body modestly as Stefan covers himself up with the sheet]
- CAROLINE: Actually, I hate sugar in my coffee.
- DAMON: Mmm.
[Caroline walks past Damon and into the bathroom to change into some clothes, while Stefan continues to look annoyed]
- STEFAN: Is there any particular reason as to why you are barging into my girlfriend's dorm room at the crack of mid-morning?
[Damon picks up Stefan's discarded tshirt and tosses it at him. Stefan starts to get dressed while Damon continues to talk]
- DAMON: Why such a Grumpy Gus? I thought you'd want to celebrate today. I finally got Elena tucked away safely. You're snuggled with Caroline in this tragically tiny bed, and Ric? Ric saved his lady from the great beyond! Everything is coming up Salvatore, so much so that I have decided to turn over a new leaf.
- STEFAN: [rolls his eyes] Oh, good.
- DAMON: Yeah. I am gonna be the man that does right by Elena, all on my own, by keeping her in my heart instead of keeping her underfoot.
- STEFAN: [nods] That's interesting.
- DAMON: I'm gonna need a little help with the dirty work, so rise and shine, brother. We are going to interrogate a tall, beautiful Heretic with a terrible attitude.
[At the sound of this statement, a fully-clothed Caroline comes out of the bathroom]
- CAROLINE: Valerie?
- DAMON: Rings a bell.
[When Damon sees the tense look on Stefan's face, he becomes confused]
- DAMON: Hmm. I'm missing something here.
- CAROLINE: Oh, Stefan and Valerie are old flames from way back, and they haven't had a face-to-face since she came tumbling out of that prison world.
[When Damon realizes who she's talking about, his mouth gapes open in shock as he looks at Stefan, who is becoming more embarrassed by the second]
- DAMON: Hang on. Valerie as in v-card Valerie? "Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am," broke your heart and, uh...?
[Stefan squeezes his eyes shut in horror, and when Damon remembers Caroline is listening, he trails off without giving more details. Caroline gives him a look before cheerfully making her suggestion]
- CAROLINE: You know what? I think this would be the perfect opportunity for you two to catch up! Unless there's a reason it would be uncomfortable for you...
- STEFAN: [warily] No...
- CAROLINE: Great! Have fun.
[Caroline walks toward the door to leave, and Damon smiles and wiggles his fingers at her. Once she's gone, Damon gives Stefan a curious look, and Stefan sighs]
SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE
[Enzo has just brought Oscar a blood bag, and he drinks it hungrily]
- ENZO: Enjoy it, mate. It's the last of it.
[Just then, Lily comes into the room]
- LILY: Good morning, Oscar.
[She turns to Enzo and smiles, and he smiles back awkwardly]
- LILY: It was kind of you to sit with him all night.
- ENZO: Oh, I've had a few bad nights myself over the years.
[The maid, Lucy, walks in with a large vase of flowers, and Lily points to the nearby table]
- LILY: Right here, please, Lucy. Thank you.
- ENZO: Oh, what's the occasion?
- LILY: My mother always used to keep fresh flowers when expecting guests. I suppose I picked it up from her.
[Enzo's polite smile falls]
- ENZO: Ah, Julian, I presume.
- LILY: [awkwardly] Yes. Yes, he'll arrive home today, if all goes as planned. This is a good thing, Lorenzo. I hope you can be happy for me, There's no reason the two of you shouldn't get along.
[Enzo turns his back to Lily to check on Oscar, who has finished his blood bag]
- ENZO: [sarcastically] Yeah, thick as thieves, I reckon.
[Mary Louise stomps into the room, followed closely by Nora, which interrupts their conversation]
- MARY LOUISE: [pouts] I want to drive, but Beau won't give me the keys.
- NORA; Well, that's because you keep hitting cats and utility poles.
[The girls stop when they see Oscar staring at them blankly]
- NORA: He's still sitting there?
[Lily nods worriedly, and Nora rushes over to sit next to Oscar on the couch]
- NORA: Oscar? Darling, it's Nora. Do you... Do you remember me?
- MARY LOUISE: [concerned] I don't like this. Oscar's meant to be laughing and making jokes.
[Mary Louise leans over to look Oscar in the eyes]
- MARY LOUISE: Guess what, Oscar? Julian's coming back. Life's about to get fun again.
- NORA: So fun!
[When Oscar doesn't respond to this news and continues to sit blankly on the couch, she becomes even more concerned and turns to Lily]
- NORA: Right. Well, he's clearly unwell. We can't just leave him here.
[Lily seems to agree, though she looks guilty as she looks down at Enzo, who does not look at all happy]
- LILY: Lorenzo, you wouldn't mind keeping an eye on him, would you? We won't be long.
- ENZO: [feigns politeness] Happy to help.
- LILY: Thank you. And, if you hear from Valerie, please tell her to come home immediately. I know I was stern yesterday, but that's no reason to sulk.
[Lily looks up at Mary Louise and Nora, gesturing for them to follow her]
- LILY: Come on, girls.
[Mary Louise and Nora follow her out, leaving a displeased Enzo with Oscar]
SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE / CAR ON THE ROAD
[Valerie is in a black SUV and is driving along Route 9 with one phone in each hand; one to use as a GPS system, and one to use as a phone. When one of the phones ring, she sees it's Enzo and answers it, swerving wildly as she does so]
- ENZO: [panicked] Where are you?
- VALERIE: Headed out to find Julian, and trying to find the directions on Oscar's stupid phone. Why doesn't anyone use real maps anymore? What's wrong with paper?
- ENZO: Well, I suggest you get a move on, because Lily and company are right behind you.
- VALERIE: What? That's impossible. You promised to keep Oscar quiet.
- ENZO: [angrily] Oh, Oscar? He doesn't remember squat. They must have tracked Julian down on their own with a locator spell or some other Heretic malarkey. Never underestimate Lily's relentless devotion to getting what she wants.
[Valerie holds the phone she's using to talk to Oscar in front of her face, looking concerned]
- VALERIE: Wait. What does it mean when the little bar thing goes all red? I...
[The phone beeps to indicate that the battery is dead, and Valerie looks even more confused]
- VALERIE: Hello?
[When she realizes the phone isn't working, she groans in annoyance and throws the phone onto the passenger seat. When she looks back up at the road, she looks alarmed and slams on the brakes as hard as she can. The camera pans away, revealing that Damon has blocked the entire road with his Camaro and is waiting for her]
- DAMON: [appalled] No seat belt?
[Valerie closes her eyes and sighs in frustration before leaning out the open window]
- DAMON: That's a hefty fine, young lady!
- VALERIE: How did you...?
- DAMON: [rolls his eyes] Little bird-brain said you stole his car and sped out of Mystic Falls.
[Valerie gets out of the car to continue talking to Damon as he walks toward her]
- DAMON: You did realize that by taking a deputy's SUV that every move you made would be tracked, right?
- VALERIE: [unamused] Would you kindly move your car?
[Damon plays dumb and turns to point at his Camaro]
- DAMON: That car? You bet I'll move that car. But first, I need to ask you why you killed your faux-brother Oscar and framed me for the murder.
[Valerie also plays dumb]
- VALERIE: I have no idea what you're talking about.
- DAMON: [shrugs] You're right. I might not be 100% on my detective work. It's possible that another Heretic turned him into a desiccated corpse. I'm not sure.
[Damon turns back toward his car]
- DAMON: I'm gonna go to my car, get my phone. I'm gonna call Lily. See if she knows.
[Suddenly, Valerie, losing her temper, thrusts her hand forward and casts a pain infliction spell on Damon that brings him to his knees as he clutches his throat]
- VALERIE: [sarcastically] Fine. You're a genius. What on earth made you think I wouldn't do the same to you?
- DAMON: [gasps] Hey, we're just talking, here...
[Stefan appears out of nowhere behind Valerie and calls out to her]
- STEFAN: Valerie.
[Valerie is so surprised that she releases the spell on Damon and turns to face Stefan]
- DAMON: AGH!
- VALERIE: Stefan...
- STEFAN: Quit torturing my brother and tell me exactly what's going on here.
[Valerie continues to stare at him in shock]
BONNIE AND CAROLINE'S DORM
[Caroline is sitting on her bed, going through flashcards for school while she listens to music on her phone when Bonnie returns home and peeks in the door]
- BONNIE: Is it safe to enter? Or is your boyfriend still half-naked under the sheets?
- CAROLINE: [groans] God, I'm a roommate horror story!
[Bonnie walks into the room and puts her bag on her own bed]
- BONNIE: Please! At least your bed has seen a half-naked male all semester. I think Ms. Cuddles is starting to feel sorry for me.
[Bonnie picks up Ms. Cuddles and turns to face Caroline]
- BONNIE: I mean, look at her! Do you see how she's judging me?
[Caroline laughs happily, and Bonnie moves Ms. Cuddles' arms and pretends like the teddy bear is talking]
- BONNIE: [in a high voice] I need man-help.
- CAROLINE: Well, don't look at me for advice. I just sent my boyfriend to spend the day with his first love.
[Bonnie looks at Caroline in shock and goes over so she and Ms. Cuddles can sit on the bed across from Caroline]
- BONNIE: Valerie? The Heretic who turned your skin to vervain so you and Stefan couldn't touch?
- CAROLINE: [nods] Yeah. That would be the one.
[Bonnie's eyes widen in surprise]
- BONNIE: Wow. You're either completely insane, or the most secure woman in the world.
- CAROLINE: [laughs] I want him to work things out with her. He has this habit of bottling up all his hurt feelings, and I think it would be really good for him if they could just clear away all the 19th-century drama so they can get on with their lives. Clean slate.
- BONNIE: [nods] Most secure woman it is. I'm officially inspired!
[Bonnie gets up and puts Ms. Cuddles back down on her bed before picking up her bag and getting ready to leave]
- CAROLINE: So, are you going out to meet a guy?
- BONNIE: [sighs] No. I'm going to Mystic Falls to discuss magic with a Heretic I just brought back to life. And then maybe I'll meet a guy.
[Caroline smiles at her and puts her earbuds back in her ears in preparation to return to her studies, and Bonnie leaves the room to return to Mystic Falls]
ON THE ROAD
[Stefan is driving Matt's stolen SUV while Valerie sits in the passenger seat. Damon is seated in the back, and he leans forward to talk to them]
- DAMON: Okay. I think I got it.
[Valerie rolls her eyes and sighs in frustration as Damon talks to her]
- DAMON: You killed Oscar because he knew how to get to Julian, but you hate Julian because he's a sadistic, depraved, no-good monster that Lily desperately wants to bring home.
- VALERIE: [unamused] Did you ever hear of the Black Sea Massacre of 1897? Julian annihilated an entire coastline on Christmas day, and yet Lily is still hopelessly in love with him.
- DAMON: [scoffs] So? Stefan took out an entire village in Monterrey, and Caroline still wants him. To each his own!
[Stefan sighs in annoyance and looks over at Valerie, who avoids eye contact with him]
- DAMON: Speaking of which, how did you two, um... meet?
[Stefan is clearly uncomfortable by this line of questioning]
- STEFAN: At the town fair.
- DAMON: [nods] Oh, right. That's right.
- STEFAN: [annoyed] Mmhmm.
- DAMON: And then, you were supposed to meet after that, right? Like, under a bridge, or a tree, or a romantic park bench...
- STEFAN: [irritably] Will you please just shut up?
[Damon ignores him and turns to Valerie, who looks just as unhappy as Stefan, if not more]
- DAMON: You know, when you didn't show, this guy wrote ten pages in his journal about how the sun would never shine as bright, and the food would never taste as sweet...
[Stefan rolls his eyes at him in annoyance]
- DAMON: Yes. I read them. Your hiding places were always crap.
[Damon turns back to Valerie, who is squirming uncomfortably in her seat]
- DAMON: You really crushed the guy.
[Stefan shoots a bitter look at Valerie]
- STEFAN: Well, she was just spying for Lily. I mean, it was all a game, wasn't it?
[Valerie stares at him, breathing heavily as she tries to not look hurt and offended by this insinuation before turning to silently look out the window]
- DAMON: Ouch!
[Damon leans back in his seat, patting Stefan affectionately on the arm as he does so]
- STEFAN: But, yeah. No! Hey, hey, keep going man. This bit is, uh, absolutely hilarious.
[Valerie, looking overwhelmed, sighs before interrupting their banter]
- VALERIE: No. Please stop. The only thing that matters now is that we find Julian and make sure he can't come home. So, if you're not in, spare me the car ride and let me out.
[Damon quickly leans forward again to answer for Stefan]
- DAMON: No. Stefan's in. He's in! I'll watch.
- STEFAN: [rolls his eyes] He's... turning over a new leaf.
[Jo and Alaric are sitting on the couch and eating food from containers that cover the coffee table. Jo is visibly enjoying it and takes bites from a dish in front of her. After a moment, she notices the nearby TV, which is turned off, and becomes confused]
- JO: Is that art or something?
[Alaric, visibly concerned by the depth of her memory loss, laughs nervously]
- ALARIC: Heh. No. Actually, that's a TV.
[Jo sighs before listing the details she's learned about herself]
- JO: That's a TV. I'm Jo. You're Alaric, but you go by Ric because it's an odd name, and we're married.
- ALARIC: Let's not worry about the details right now. It's gonna take a little time for your memories to come back.
[Jo silently continues to eat the food in front of her]
- JO: This is amazing. Did you make it?
- ALARIC: No. It's, uh... It's delivery.
[Jo gives Alaric a confused look, so Alaric elaborates]
- ALARIC: Made somewhere else and then someone drives it over. It's Thai food, your favorite.
[Jo picks up another bite of food off of her plate with her fork and is about to eat it when Alaric stops her]
- ALARIC: Well, except for that. That's meat. You don't eat meat.
- JO: [more confused] Why would I not eat meat?
- ALARIC: [awkwardly] I have no idea.
[Jo eats the bite of meat anyway and seems to enjoy it, so Alaric changes the subject]
- ALARIC: Hey, look. Let's open this bottle of wine, huh? It's got to be 5:00 in the afternoon somewhere, right?
[When Alaric tries to unscrew the cork, the glass end breaks and cuts his hand open, causing him to yelp in pain]
- ALARIC: Ooh! Ah! Ah!
[Jo instinctively grabs his hand and examines the bleeding wound, surprising Alaric]
- JO: It's not serious. Do you have bandages? I'll wrap it for you.
[Alaric seems taken aback by this, but he recovers quickly]
- ALARIC: Medicine cabinet above the sink.
[Jo stands to her feet and smiles weakly]
- JO: Be right back.
[Jo leaves to get the medicine cabinet, and Alaric smiles at this sign of hope that Jo might be okay]
WHITMORE COLLEGE / GAS STATION
[Stefan is standing outside the car at the gas station while Damon and Valerie fill up the tank and has just called Caroline, who is walking through campus toward her dorm]
- CAROLINE: [on the phone] Where are you?
- STEFAN: Some gas station in the middle of nowhere.
[Damon, eavesdropping on their conversation, raises his voice to talk to Caroline from the gas pump]
- DAMON: Don't worry, Care-Bear! I have issues a "No Hanky-Panky" zone. No former flames will reignite on my way! Uh-uh. No how.
[Stefan, annoyed, walks away so he can have more privacy]
- STEFAN: Sorry about that. The fumes are, uh, getting to his brain. Hey, listen-- uh, I want to take you to dinner tonight.
- CAROLINE: Like a date?
[Caroline thinks about this for a brief moment before interjecting]
- CAROLINE: Wait, is this because you're feeling guilty for spending the day with your ex?
- STEFAN: [chuckles] No, it's because I realized that I haven't actually taken you out yet.
[While they talk, Valerie casually listens in on their conversation and scowls unhappily]
- CAROLINE: Well, I'd love that. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit guilty for pushing you into a car with your brother and your ex, whom you clearly want nothing to do with.
- STEFAN: Ah. No, don't feel guilty. I... I needed a push.
[Caroline frowns suddenly]
- CAROLINE: Why? What, did she make a move on you?
- STEFAN: [quickly] Nothing happened. I just needed to hear that our time together was a lie.
- CAROLINE: [incredulously] She admitted that?
- STEFAN: She didn't deny it.
- CAROLINE: [awkwardly] ...Are you okay, or whatever?
- STEFAN: I will be, once you tell me what time I'm picking you up tonight.
- CAROLINE: [smiles] Eight o'clock. And, I like daisies, by the way, just in case you wanted to get me flowers...
[Valerie scowls even harder at the sound of Stefan and Caroline planning their date]
- STEFAN: [smiles back] I'll see you tonight.
[An irritated Valerie grabs a portable gas tank out of the back of the SUV and drops it loudly in front of Damon, who has just finished filling up their vehicle]
- VALERIE: Fill this up.
- DAMON: There's more gas in the tank, sassy-pants.
- VALERIE: I need an accelerant to burn Julian's body. Don't want to take any chances.
- DAMON: [confused] Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself? We haven't even killed the guy yet.
- VALERIE: [annoyed] Are you really that daft? We don't need to kill him.
[Damon frowns, obviously not understanding what she's talking about]
- DAMON: What are you gonna do, charm him to death?
- VALERIE: Julian's dead. He's been dead since 1903.
[This revelation shocks both Damon and Stefan, who stare at her in surprise]
SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE
[Bonnie has just sneaked into the boarding house and is looking around the parlor when she's caught by Enzo]
- ENZO: [amused] I'm afraid this house no longer has an open-door policy to the local riff-raff.
- BONNIE: [sarcastically] You're living here, aren't you?
[Bonnie continues to look around the parlor despite Enzo's warnings]
- ENZO: [smiles] Should we spend a few moments catching up before I throw you out? How was your summer holiday? Meet any charming Euro-hunks? Girl, please tell me you didn't just follow Damon around with spare bottles of bourbon...
- BONNIE: [gives him a look] I didn't, but it's sweet of you to be concerned about my love life.
- ENZO: Well, I do admire your nerve, sticking around. Now, myself? I'd be flat-hunting on the other side of the planet if I were the only thing standing between Damon Salvatore and his everlasting happiness with Elena. Maybe the danger gives you a thrill? It could be a case of puppy love...
[Bonnie smiles fakely and looks him in the eyes]
- BONNIE: See, now I think you're projecting. You're the one sleeping at Lily Salvatore's feet, hoping for some of her good table scraps.
[Enzo, no longer amused by their game, grabs Bonnie by the shoulders and leads her toward the front door]
- ENZO: Good talk. Nice of you to stop by.
[Bonnie slips out of his grip and turns to face him once again]
- BONNIE: Um, I need to talk to Oscar.
- ENZO: [suspiciously] What about?
- BONNIE: [casually] Witch business. Super boring.
- ENZO: Well, I'm afraid Oscar is not feeling quite like himself today, so maybe another time.
[Just then, Lucy's loud scream of pain is heard from upstairs]
- LUCY: AHHHH!
[Enzo freezes for a moment, looking annoyed, while Bonnie looks both curious and startled]
- ENZO: Bollocks.
[The two rush upstairs to find Oscar feeding on Lucy]
- LUCY: UHH! UGH!
[Enzo quickly runs toward them to push Oscar away from her while Bonnie tends to Lucy]
- ENZO: [to Oscar] Not supposed to eat the help, mate.
- BONNIE: [annoyed] A little blood, please?
[Enzo goes over to Lucy and feeds her his blood before grabbing the sides of her face to force her to look him in the eyes]
- ENZO: [compels her] Clean yourself up and take a spa day. Forget all about Mr. Chompers and his very bad manners.
[Oscar's mouth is coated in blood, and he stares at them blankly as Bonnie slowly and hesitantly walks toward him]
- BONNIE: Hello, Oscar. Hey, do you remember me? We met in Myrtle Beach.
- OSCAR: [warily] I've never been to Myrtle Beach. But, I do remember you... from that dark room in the basement. You're the one who got me out?
[Bonnie looks confused, and Enzo seems intrigued by how Oscar and Bonnie know each other]
- BONNIE: Out of where?
[Oscar's vampire eyes start to flicker out as he glares at her]
- OSCAR: I think I'm still hungry.
- BONNIE: [anxiously] Um, okay... Just get a grip on yourself for five minutes, and we'll get you more blood. I came to ask you about the Phoenix Stone.
[At the sound of that name, Enzo looks at both Bonnie and Oscar with interest. However, Oscar just becomes more agitated]
- OSCAR: What stone? Why do people keep asking me questions I don't know the answer to?
[Oscar starts pacing around as he becomes more and more overwhelmed, and Bonnie pulls the Phoenix Stone out of her bag and shows it to him. Enzo's eyes flicker in recognition as he realizes that it's the same stone Lily wanted him to find]
- BONNIE: This stone. Know it?
- OSCAR: [shocked] There. You got me out of there.
[Bonnie seems concerned about this answer]
WAREHOUSE DISTRICT / SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE
[At a large LOT OF WAREHOUSES, Valerie, Damon, and Stefan have just arrived and are walking toward the nearest one]
- STEFAN: Why would Oscar stash Julian's body out here in the middle of nowhere when he could just hand him over to Lily?
[Damon throws aside a couple of large, flat pieces of wood leaning against the door to the warehouse and grunts as Valerie watches]
- DAMON: Mmm!
- VALERIE: Because he knew the moment Lily gets Julian back, the fun's over. Everything changes.
[Damon uncovers the door to find that it is bolted shut with at least five different locks; some are deadbolts, others are padlocked shut. Stefan looks over at Valerie]
- STEFAN: So, you killed him. That makes a lot of sense.
- VALERIE: [hurt] I told you. I have my reasons.
[Damon starts breaking each of the locks in turn as Stefan and Valerie continue talking]
- STEFAN: You know, I was thinking... It's probably a good thing that you and I cut things short. I mean, what if I'd accidentally insulted your driving, and you had no choice but to run a butcher knife through me?
- VALERIE: [rolls her eyes] Yeah, it doesn't exactly sound like you've lived the life of a saint either. Surprise! The world changes people. You must have figured that out by now.
[Damon breaks the last lock and turns toward Stefan and Valerie]
- DAMON: Hey, lovebirds! Quit your bickering. Let's get this campfire started.
[The three walk into the warehouse, and the door slams shut behind them. Inside is row after row after row of shelves that run from the floor to nearly the ceiling, all of which are full of hundreds of coffins. They all look confused]
- DAMON: Huh. Casket Emporium. Clever.
- VALERIE: [groans] Oscar and his stupid pranks!
[They start to look around the warehouse in search of what they're looking for]
- DAMON: So, Lily's still carrying a torch for some moldy, old corpse, hmm?
- VALERIE: Lily is determined to reunite Julian's body with his lost soul. But, in order to do that, she needs the Phoenix Stone.
[Damon, alarmed, shoots a look at Stefan and tries to play dumb]
- DAMON: Phoenix Stone, huh? Never heard of it.
[It is obvious that Valerie doesn't believe him]
- VALERIE: Really? That's funny, since you clearly used it on Oscar.
- DAMON: [alarmed] Who said we used it on Oscar?
- VALERIE: [rolls her eyes] Oscar was dead, and you needed something to trade for your girlfriend in the box. So, you fooled around with it and found a temporary solution. But hey, good on you. Whomever you brought back seemed to pull the wool over Lily's eyes.
[Damon, now very concerned, stops walking and stares at Valerie]
- DAMON: Wait-- what do you mean, whoever we brought back?
[Valerie sighs in exasperation]
- VALERIE: The Phoenix Stone is stuffed full of very old vampire souls. You didn't raise Oscar from the dead, you clods! You jammed one of those souls into his body.
[Later, Damon calls Bonnie, who is still at the SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE]
- DAMON: How's everything with Professor Frankenstein and his rebooted bride?
- BONNIE: Good, I think. She was asleep when I left.
[It's clear by the look on Damon's face that he's panicked and dreading the next part of the conversation]
- DAMON: Oh, good. Glad to hear it. So, quick favor-- I'm gonna need you to tell Ric that we made a tiny mistake, and that that's not his wife.
- BONNIE: [stunned] What?!
- DAMON: Yeah... It turns out that the stone doesn't actually have any magic juice to bring back any old corpse. It's more like a supernatural holding cell for a bunch of lost vampire souls, one of which you accidentally shoved into Jo's body.
- BONNIE: [horrified] Oh, my God. That mean's Oscar is...
- DAMON: [finishes her sentence] ...Oscar's just some random vampire in a Heretic candy shell.
- BONNIE: [worried] Damon, I came to your house to talk to him about the stone.
[Damon is visibly horrified by this information]
- DAMON: Bad idea! Cut the conversation short. Call Ric from the car on the way home.
- BONNIE: [scoffs] Oh, no! Don't put this on me.
- DAMON: [guiltily] Well, I'm sorry. And, I'm trying to do this thing where I do right by Elena, and I just... I...
[Damon hesitates for a brief moment]
- DAMON: ...I just don't think that she'd want me to crush his spirit like that. Let him down gently?
- BONNIE: [annoyed] Is this you doing right by Elena, or you not wanting to break your best friend's heart?
[Damon, knowing he's just been called out, doesn't reply, and Bonnie sighs]
- BONNIE: Fine, but you owe me.
- DAMON: [relieved] Thanks, Bon-Bon.
[The two hang up their respective phones. At the SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE, Enzo comes into the room to talk to Bonnie]
- ENZO: Found Oscar a few blood bags stashed in the study. Probably expired, but he does not seem picky.
[Bonnie, looking uncomfortable, gets ready to leave with the stone in her hand]
- BONNIE: I have to head back to Whitmore.
[Enzo grabs her by the arm and stops her, causing her eyes to widen in alarm]
- ENZO: I meant to ask you about this pretty stone. Where'd you find it?
- BONNIE: [sarcastically] Rocks 'R' Us. It was on sale.
[Enzo moves his hand down so he's tightly gripping Bonnie's wrist so he can see the stone better. Bonnie clutches the stone as hard as she can to keep him from taking it]
- ENZO: That's funny. Lily's been looking for one just like it.
- BONNIE: [anxiously] Oh, bargain bin was full of them. I'm sure they have more.
- ENZO: [smirks] Or, I could just take this one.
[Bonnie yanks her arm out of his grip]
- BONNIE: I don't think so.
[Suddenly, Oscar, who has finished eating his blood bags, rushes in and stalks toward them as he freaks out]
- OSCAR: I'm not going back in there!
[Bonnie freezes in terror as Oscar grabs Bonnie by the back of the head and vamps-out. However, before he can bite into her neck, she casts a silent pain infliction spell that causes him to groan in pain and fall backward. Once she stops hurting him, he quickly scrambles into a defensive position]
- OSCAR: No! I'm not going back!
[Oscar lunges for Bonnie again, but before he can get close, Enzo vamp-speeds toward him and flings him backward into the wood and glass coffee table, which shatters under him. Enzo then turns back to Bonnie]
- ENZO: What the hell is he talking about?
- BONNIE: Let's just say you were right-- Oscar's not himself today.
[Once again, Oscar gets back up on his feet, this time even more agitated and upset than before]
- OSCAR: Why does everyone keep calling me Oscar? My name's not Oscar!
[The force of not-Oscar's yell is so loud that it triggers his magic, which causes the overhead lights to explode into a shower of sparks. The three of them are all shocked by this development]
- OSCAR: Did I do that?
[Oscar, now calmer and visibly curious about his powers, slowly waves his hands through the air, causing the chandelier to fall to the ground with a crash, causing Bonnie to flinch in fear. Bonnie, realizing not-Oscar has learned his additional Heretic powers, stares at them menacingly as Bonnie runs for the door]
- BONNIE: [to Enzo] Run!
[Enzo, looking confused, looks around for a moment as Bonnie rushes out into the hallway. He sees the Phoenix Stone on the floor and picks it up before he runs after Bonnie. Oscar storms after them in pursuit shortly afterward]
[Alaric returns to the living room to find Jo on the couch, looking confused. On the coffee table in front of her is a box with her blood-stained wedding dress in it]
- ALARIC: You want to get some fresh air? I thought maybe a walk through campus will stir something...
[Alaric finally notices that she's holding his silver revolver handgun and begins to look worried]
- ALARIC: ...What are you doing?
[Jo looks up at him, visibly overwhelmed]
- JO: What happened to me?
[Alaric sits down next to Jo on the couch and puts down the gun as Jo notices the wedding gown in front of her]
- JO: This was mine, wasn't it?
- ALARIC: [quietly] That's your wedding dress. The hospital asked me if I wanted to save it.
[Jo turns to look him in the eyes to ask her question again]
- JO: What happened to me?
- ALARIC: [sighs] Your brother had a life-long vendetta against you. He stabbed you. I couldn't get you to the hospital in time.
- JO: [concerned] So, what happened?
- ALARIC: [gently] I'm gonna explain everything when you're feeling better. It's gonna make a lot more sense then.
- JO: [confused] Why wouldn't it make sense now?
[Alaric becomes slightly upset at the memory of the wedding]
- ALARIC: Because it is crazy, Jo! It is the craziest thing either of us have ever been through, and that is saying something.
[Jo pauses for a moment, her eyes wide from shock, as she seems to flashes of memories]
- JO: I remember. I was stabbed! I was stabbed in the heart!
[Alaric looks at her with concern]
- ALARIC: No. No, not in the heart. He came at you from behind, and I... I didn't see him until it was too late.
[Jo starts to freak out from the memories, and Alaric becomes even more worried]
- JO: No, I was stabbed in the heart!
- ALARIC: Jo, calm down.
- JO: I...
- ALARIC: Everything's gonna be...
[When Alaric goes to rub Jo's shoulder comfortingly, she quickly stands to her feet, grabs the revolver, and aims it at him]
- JO: No! Don't touch me! Stay away from me!
[Jo takes the gun and runs out of the apartment, leaving a scared and worried Alaric behind]
[Valerie, Stefan, and Damon are in the middle of looking through all of the coffins for the one that holds Julian's body. All of the ones they find are completely empty. While they search, they continue talking]
- STEFAN: You know, we got Nora to siphon that repulsion spell you put on Caroline... Just in case you were wondering.
[Valerie is visibly upset by this, but quickly covers it up so Stefan can't see and shrugs]
- VALERIE: Oh. I'd forgotten all about that.
- STEFAN: Why'd you do it? I mean, you couldn't have been worried about Caroline's safety.
[Valerie stops what she's doing, clearly offended by his insinuations]
- VALERIE: What do you want me to say? Because I'm pure evil? Because I like seeing people suffer?
- STEFAN: Well, if that's the truth, then yeah.
- VALERIE: [sighs] I'm not a horrible person.
- STEFAN: [frowns] Really? Well, then who are you? I mean, you turned my life upside-down. You leave, you show no remorse, and then you go after my girlfriend.
- VALERIE: [coldly] You know nothing about me.
[The two of them silently return to searching the coffins, until Stefan attempts to open a shiny black one next to him, only for it to remain sealed shut. He rattles the lid, but when it still doesn't work, he calls out to the others]
- STEFAN: This one won't open.
[Valerie walks over to the coffin, followed by Damon, as they examine the coffin]
- VALERIE: Must be sealed shut.
[Valerie pulls the coffin out away from the other shelves. She then lays her hand flat on the coffin, and the place where her skin makes contact with it glows red as she siphons the spell locking it until it's gone. She then opens the coffin, revealing Julian's body. His skin isn't desiccated-- he simply looks as though he's sleeping, though there is a large bloodstain on the left side of his chest]
- DAMON: [confused] Doesn't look dead to me.
[Valerie looks as though the sight of Julian is going to make her cry, and she scowls at his body]
- VALERIE: His body's been preserved with magic.
[She scowls at Julian's body, and after a moment, she spits angrily onto him before taking her tank of gasoline and soaking his body with it while Damon and Stefan watch]
- DAMON: Lot better-looking than our old man, I'll give Mom that.
- VALERIE: Move. Unless you want to burn to a crisp alongside of him.
[Once Valerie is finished, she holds out her hands toward the coffin before casting a spell]
- VALERIE: [chants] Incendia.
[Julian's body is instantly set ablaze, but after a moment, the fire goes out with a whoosh, causing Valerie to frown in confusion before raising her hands again]
- VALERIE: [chants] Incendia.
[This time, the spell doesn't even work. Valerie looks horrified, but Stefan and Damon are just confused]
- DAMON: Should we, uh... get a match?
- VALERIE: [horrified] I don't understand.
[Just then, Mary Louise and Nora appear in front of them, revealing that they concealed themselves with a cloaking spell and interfered with Valerie's spell. They smirk at the three of them in satisfaction]
- DAMON: [rolls his eyes] Well, of course. Guess it ain't a party until the mean girls show up.
- MARY LOUISE: Look who's in a heap of trouble!
- NORA: What's Lily going to say?
- MARY LOUISE: [smiles] Let's ask her.
[Mary Louise raises her voice, calling out to Lily]
- MARY LOUISE: Lily, we found Valerie! She's over here trying to kill the love of your life.
[At the sound of this statement, a furious Lily walks into the warehouse, with a similarly angry Beau at her side. Valerie looks terrified by the sight of her]
[After the break, the scene returns to the warehouse, where she's staring longingly at Julian's body. After a moment, she closes the coffin lid and looks up at Nora and Mary Louise]
- LILY: Girls, I'll meet you in the car. I need a moment with Valerie.
[Mary Louise and Nora leave, smirking at Valerie as they do so, as Lily walks toward Valerie until they're face to face]
- LILY: You may have stolen Oscar's phone, but you left something behind in his pocket.
[Valerie only becomes more scared as Lily holds up a hold ring, which she twists around her index fingertip]
- LILY: Oscar always did covet Julian's ring. Beau found him easily with a locator spell.
[Lily continues to stare at Valerie for a moment before continuing]
- LILY: Why would you do this?
[Valerie breaks down, nearly in tears]
- VALERIE: Lily, he's a monster! Bringing him back will only make things worse.
- LILY: So you go behind my back with my own sons to destroy him?
- VALERIE: It's not like you listen to me! You were so blinded by your love for him, it's like no one else exists.
[Lily is so infuriated by these words that she slaps Valerie hard across the face, leaving Valerie reeling. Stefan, feeling badly for her, steps in to defend her]
- STEFAN: Hey, we get it. You're angry.
[Lily turns to look at Stefan as Valerie recovers from Lily's hit, tears spilling from her eyes]
- LILY: Whatever lies Valerie told you, that's all they are.
[Valerie backs away from her as she starts to cry, and Damon pipes up with a sarcastic comment, walking toward Lily until he's standing in front of Valerie in an almost protective stance]
- DAMON: Technically, she's been a bit vague on the details... I mean, mass-murderer, homicidal maniac, and typical, run-of-the-mill bad-guy stuff... But, before we just hand him over, you mind telling us what we're missing here? Who is this, really?
- LILY: [softly] This man is the love of my life. The man I didn't think I deserved. The one I fought for, waited for. The one I told myself I could change for. He makes me better, Damon.
[Lily gives him a significant look]
- LILY: You know anything about that?
- DAMON: A thing or two.
- LILY: [coldly] Then we are through her. Beau?
[Beau walks toward Lily and the coffin, and when Valerie frantically tries to stop him, he angrily yanks his arm out of her grip and continues toward the coffin so he can take it and load it in their car]
- VALERIE: [desperately] No! Please, don't! He'll ruin us! He...
[Beau ignores her and wheels the coffin out of the warehouse, and when Damon and Stefan do nothing to stop him, she turns toward them]
- VALERIE: She's playing you! He didn't make her better-- if anything, he made her vindictive and cruel!
- STEFAN: [frowns] What's that supposed to mean?
- VALERIE: Who do you think gave Kai the idea to put Elena in that Sleeping Beauty-coma?
[Lily's face becomes stone-cold as Damon stares at Valerie in confusion]
- DAMON: Who?
- VALERIE: Lily.
[Valerie moves to stand next to Stefan, and Damon stares at Lily in horror as she scowls at them]
- DAMON: Is that true?
- VALERIE: She wanted to make you pay for refusing to help rescue us from the prison world.
[Damon, furious, growls threateningly before he vamp-speeds toward Lily and grabs her in a choke-hold]
- DAMON: Screw Julian! I'll kill you.
[Just then, Beau returns to the warehouse and flings his hand forward, causing Damon to be thrown backward into one of the shelves of coffins. Valerie spins around in horror and stares at Beau as Damon stands to his feet. He's just about to lunge for Beau angrily when Beau crouches down and spreads his arms wide before thrusting them together as though he's about to clap, which causes all of the coffins around them to explode in a shower of wooden shards]
SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE
[Bonnie and Enzo, still running from Oscar, who has just thrown what looks like an ax at them, run into another room as Bonnie quickly shuts the door behind them and mutters a spell under her breath to magically seal it closed]
- BONNIE: [chants] Vis porta.
- ENZO: [incredulously] Spelling the door? I thought you were leading us to a secret passage.
- BONNIE: [gives him a look] You watch too much Scooby-Doo.
[Outside in the hall, Oscar is heard slamming himself against the door, causing them both to panic]
- BONNIE: Maybe he'll tire himself out, and we just go out the front door?
- ENZO: Or, I could just jump out that window while you fend for yourself.
[Enzo walks toward the window, but Bonnie grabs him by the arm to stop him, holding out her free hand as she looks at him expectantly]
- BONNIE: First, give me that stone back.
- ENZO: First, tell me why it's so special!
- BONNIE: [sighs] It's some kind of trap for a bunch of souls. If Lily wants it, someone she cares about must be inside.
[When Enzo realizes why exactly Lily wants the stone, he groans in annoyance]
- ENZO: Julian.
- BONNIE: [rolls her eyes] Great. Because we need another Heretic running loose around here.
- ENZO: He's not a Heretic. He's a long-lost vampire boyfriend.
- BONNIE: Then you definitely don't need it. Do you really want to hand her the means to bring the dead boyfriend back into the picture? Have some dignity!
[As they fight, Oscar continues to slam his body against the door, and the loud banging noise causes Bonnie to flinch in fear]
- ENZO: What makes you think I want romantic advice from a love-lorn witch?
- BONNIE: I'm just saying-- maybe you deserve better.
[Before Enzo can come up with a retort to this comment, a thrumming noise is heard from outside the door, and Enzo's eyes widen in alarm]
- ENZO: Bad news-- I think Oscar just learned how to siphon.
[Suddenly, Oscar bursts into the room and vamp-speeds toward Bonnie, pinning her against the wall in a choke-hold]
- OSCAR: [angrily] Where is it? Where's the stone?
[Bonnie sees Enzo walking toward Oscar from behind him and gets an idea]
- BONNIE: [gasps] He has it.
[Oscar lets go of Bonnie and vamp-speeds toward Enzo, who sighs in frustration as he watches Bonnie quickly walk away, leaving him to deal with Oscar by himself]
[Damon has just awakened on the floor to find that he is covered in pieces of broken wood from all the coffins Beau caused to explode. Several of the pieces have become embedded in his body, including a large piece of wood sticking out of his shoulder, which he pulls out with a groan]
- DAMON: GAH!
[Next to him, Stefan is laying on his back and is also removing the wood that has impaled his own body]
- STEFAN: UGH!
[Damon rolls over onto his side to try to get onto his feet]
- DAMON: Ohhh...
[Stefan's eyes widen in horror when he realizes that Valerie is nowhere to be seen]
- STEFAN: Valerie.
[Stefan rolls onto his side and raises his voice to call out for her]
- STEFAN: Valerie!
[Stefan gets to his feet and rushes over to Damon to help him up]
- STEFAN: Hey! You okay?
[Damon's tone is angry, though his anger is directed toward Lily, not Stefan]
- DAMON: [groans] I'm fine!
[Stefan, recognizing the murderous look on Damon's face, immediately tries to calm him down by grabbing him firmly by the shoulders and looking him straight in the eye]
- STEFAN: Hey, hey, hey, hey. Whatever you're thinking, we're not gonna do that.
- DAMON: [bitterly] I'm thinking I should rip out her heart and bronze it like a trophy.
- STEFAN: She's still our mother.
- DAMON: [angrily] Exactly! Our mother, Stefan, is the reason Elena's in that box while the world passes her by!
- STEFAN: [calmly] I know. I get it. Just remember, you're turning over a new leaf.
[Damon only becomes more frustrated by Stefan's attempts to calm him down]
- DAMON: Screw the new leaf! She stole Elena from me, and every ounce of happiness I've ever known! I'm not gonna let her just walk away from that!
- STEFAN: We're not gonna let her walk away from that. I promise. But, right now, I need to find Valerie, so just tell me that you're fine and you're not gonna do anything stupid.
[Damon pauses for a brief moment and takes several deep breaths before he finally replies]
- DAMON: I'm fine. I'm okay.
- STEFAN: [sighs] Good.
[Damon walks past him, bumping his shoulder against Stefan's as Stefan turns to look for Valerie]
SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE
[Oscar has just thrown Enzo out of Stefan's old bedroom and into the hallway, where he hits a framed painting and shatters the glass that covers it before falling down onto an end table, smashing it into pieces upon impact]
- OSCAR: Give me the stone!
[Oscar rushes toward him, and Enzo, on his hands and knees on the floor and recovering from being thrown into the wall, sees a pair of steel scissors on the floor and throws it at Oscar forcefully, causing the blades to stab into Oscar's neck like a knife. Oscar, annoyed, pulls them out and drops them on the floor as he stalks toward Enzo. Enzo, at a loss for options, pulls the stone out of his pocket and holds it up in front of Oscar's face]
- ENZO: Here, boy. Fetch.
[Enzo throws the stone across the room, causing Oscar to turn around before vamp-speeding toward the stone to pick it up. Once Oscar is distracted, Enzo picks up a long, thin, pointy piece of broken wood and walks back into the room. As soon as Oscar picks up the stone, Enzo stakes him through the heart from behind with the piece of wood]
- OSCAR: [groans] UGH!
[Oscar, furious, turns toward Enzo, panting for breath as he tries to fight through the effects of the stake. However, after a moment, he finally falls dead to the floor, dropping the stone in the process. Enzo walks over and calmly picks up the stone, looking at it closely]
- ENZO: Finders keepers.
[Enzo tosses the stone into the air and catches it before he leaves the room]
[Stefan has just found Valerie stashed in one of the coffins that wasn't fully destroyed by Beau. She has many small shards of wood sticking out of her chest, shoulders, and abdomen and looks weak as Stefan moves a large piece of wood from on top of her so he can see her injuries better]
- STEFAN: Valerie! Don't move. I'm gonna get these out.
[Stefan starts pulling out the small shards of wood one at a time, and Valerie groans in pain as he does so]
- VALERIE: AH! It's pointless. If Lily doesn't kill me, Julian will.
- STEFAN: Well, maybe it's pointless, but I'm not the type to leave someone hanging.
[Stefan continues pulling out the pieces of wood, and Valerie sits up to look him in the eyes]
- VALERIE: Couldn't help yourself, could you? If I'd known how deeply you'd hate me, I would have acted differently.
- STEFAN: [sighs] I don't hate you. I just wanted to know the truth... and now, I do.
[Valerie looks at him with a saddened expression]
- VALERIE: It's not the truth, Stefan.
[Stefan pulls out another piece of wood, and she grunts in pain]
- VALERIE: NGH!
[Valerie takes a deep breath before continuing]
- VALERIE: The truth is... I was coming back for you.
- STEFAN: [skeptically] What happened? Miss your train?
- VALERIE: [sadly] Julian caught me trying to leave. He was desperate to get Lily to Europe, and... Well, he knew I'd be a distraction.
- STEFAN: [confused] Why would you be a distraction?
[Valerie looks at him with a mixture of shame, embarrassment, and regret]
- VALERIE: I was pregnant.
[Stefan is absolutely stunned by this confession]
- STEFAN: What?
- VALERIE: I wanted to tell you in person, though, and I felt ridiculous. We... we spent so little time together. For me to end up pregnant? I just... I wasn't sure if...
[Valerie pauses for a moment, gulping nervously before she goes on]
- VALERIE: But Julian had already found out. He made sure there was nothing to tell.
- STEFAN: [horrified] What did he do to you?
- VALERIE: He, um... made sure it wasn't a problem anymore. He knew I wouldn't be able to look you in the eye and tell you, so I left with them. I kept our secret all these years... and I'm so sorry.
[Stefan, still reeling from this confession, stares at Valerie in shock and confusion, too overwhelmed by this new information to speak. His eyes are filled with tears, and he looks as though he may cry]
SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE
[Lily has returned to the boarding house, where she and Enzo are in Stefan's old bedroom, where Oscar's now-desiccated dead boy is laying on the bed as Enzo explains what he's learned]
- ENZO: Oscar died two nights ago when Valerie killed him. I'm pretty sure that Damon and Bonnie brought him back with this.
[Enzo holds up the Phoenix Stone, and Lily's eyes widen in surprise and relief when she sees it]
- ENZO: I suspect they didn't get it quite right, though-- he went mad and tried to kill me.
- LILY: [shakes her head] It wasn't him. The soul in the stone has to be reunited with the proper body. Where did you get it?
[Lily reaches out to take the stone, but Enzo yanks his hand away from her so she can't grab it and changes the subject]
- ENZO: Why would Valerie throw away everything-- her family, your respect, her livelihood-- just to keep Julian away from you?
- LILY: [sighs] According to her, I'm too blinded by his charms to see his flaws.
[She immediately holds out her hand and looks at him expectantly]
- LILY: Give me the stone, please.
- ENZO: And what? Stand idly by while you reawaken some bloke who may or may not have complete control over you.
[Lily's tone is unamused as she replies to Enzo's comment]
- LILY: Call it what you will... devotion, control? I call it love. So, if you're asking me to choose between you and Julian...
- ENZO: That's exactly what I'm asking.
[Enzo holds up his hand, the Phoenix Stone pinched between his thumb and middle finger, and Lily hesitates for a moment, caressing Enzo's face with her hand and causing him to sigh and close his eyes when he realizes what she's about to do. Lily looks guilty and sad as her eyes fill with tears, and her lip quivers before she takes the stone from his hand. Enzo becomes teary-eyed as well, though he doesn't seem surprised by her choice]
- LILY: [softly] Please understand...
[Enzo, devastated, blinks away the tears as he turns and leaves the room without another word. When he's gone, a tear falls down Lily's cheek as she opens her hand and stares in relief at the Phoenix Stone in her hand, ready to resurrect her long-lost lover]
MYSTIC GRILL / WHITMORE COLLEGE
[Bonnie is sitting at the abandoned bar at the MYSTIC GRILL, where she's poured herself a shot of bourbon. She downs the shot in one gulp before she picks up her phone and calls Alaric, though she is visibly dreading what she has to say to him. Alaric, who is at a bar near WHITMORE COLLEGE'S CAMPUS, answers the phone as he looks around]
- ALARIC: Hey.
- BONNIE: You with Jo?
- ALARIC: No. She freaked out a little. I... you know, I could really use your help looking for her, actually.
[Alaric leaves the bar and walks out onto the street, and Bonnie's voice is soft when she replies to him]
- BONNIE: It's not her, Ric. It's not Jo.
- ALARIC: [confused] What are you talking about?
- BONNIE: We made a mistake. The stone doesn't bring people back from the dead. It is just an old relic full of souls.
[Alaric, clearly in denial, scoffs in disbelief as he stands across the street from the bar]
- ALARIC: : Bonnie, that is my wife. I know who I'm looking at, okay? She just... she needs a little time to adjust.
- BONNIE: [sadly] No. It's not her. Jo was never in that stone, Ric. I put someone else in her body. I'm so sorry. Where are you? I'm meeting up with Damon. We can come by and figure this out together.
[Alaric, still not wanting to believe what Bonnie has just told him, shuts the conversation down]
- ALARIC: I got to go.
[Alaric hangs up on Bonnie and walks over to a nearby shop window, where not-Jo is standing quietly with her back to him, staring at the glass]
- ALARIC: Hey, I... I just want to talk.
[Not-Jo turns to face him and hands over his revolver with a mildly embarrassed look]
- JO: Here. I realized I have no idea how to use that thing.
[She pauses for a moment before she continues. and Alaric carefully tucks his gun into the back of the waistband of his jeans]
- JO: Nothing about this world is familiar to me. Not you, not any of this. Not even my own reflection.
[Alaric, looking pained, hesitates before speaking]
- ALARIC: You're not my wife.
[Not-Jo shakes her head and sighs]
- JO: No. I don't think I am. If I'm not Jo, who am I?
- ALARIC: I don't know, but you're not alone. I'll help you, and we'll figure this out together, okay?
[Alaric takes not-Jo by the hand, and both of them smile weakly as they walk down the street, still clutching each other]
BONNIE AND CAROLINE'S DORM ROOM
[Caroline, who is finishing getting ready for her date in her DORM ROOM, calls Stefan to get an update on their plans. Stefan is at the LOCKWOOD MANSION with Valerie, who is pretending not to eavesdrop on their conversation]
- CAROLINE: Hey, not to be a pessimist, but how late do you think you're actually gonna be? Should I move the reservation to nine o'clock, or...?
[Stefan, who still seems overwhelmed by what Valerie confessed to him earlier, does his best to sound okay, but still sounds anxious when he replies]
- STEFAN: ...I'm actually still in Mystic Falls.
[Caroline looks sad, but not very surprised by this answer]
- CAROLINE: ...Or tommorrow, or next week?
[Stefan's face looks guilty about doing this to Caroline]
- STEFAN: I'm sorry.
[Caroline pretends as though she's not disappointed]
- CAROLINE: It's okay!
- STEFAN: Things got... complicated.
- CAROLINE: [sympathetically] I know. Bonnie told me how the stone actually works. Alaric must be devastated.
- STEFAN: [awkwardly] I'm sure he is. Um, hey. Listen-- I promise I'll... I'll make tonight up to you, okay?
[Caroline seems worried by the tone of Stefan's voice]
- CAROLINE: Is... Is there anything else monumental I should know about?
[Stefan's expression looks even more guilty as he lies to Caroline in answer]
- STEFAN: No. No, nothing. I'll see you tomorrow?
- CAROLINE: [disappointedly] Okay. Um, I'll see you tomorrow.
- STEFAN: Bye.
[They hang up the phone]
LOCKWOOD MANSION / SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE / MYSTIC GRILL
[After Stefan hangs up the phone at the LOCKWOOD MANSION, Valerie hesitantly walks toward him]
- VALERIE: You didn't say a word the whole way back.
- STEFAN: I didn't really know what to say.
- VALERIE: [anxiously] Uh, can you give me an overview of the options?
- STEFAN: [sighs] I'm angry that I didn't know. I'm sad that something I could have had was taken away from me. I want to kill Julian for what he did to you. And, I'm sorry that you had to go through this alone.
[Valerie seems slightly comforted by this response, but her voice is shaky when she speaks]
- VALERIE: After it happened, I wanted to die. I did die. I took my own life. I obviously didn't realize I had vampire blood in my system...
[Stefan seems shocked by this second confession from Valerie]
- STEFAN: That's how you became a vampire? You killed yourself?
- VALERIE: [laughs nervously] Far cry from the girl you met at the fair, isn't it? It's funny how one event can change the outcome of your entire life.
[Stefan continues to stare at her with wide eyes as he processes all of the new information he has learned today, so Valerie gives him a moment before she speaks again]
- VALERIE: Please don't tell anyone. I couldn't bear for Lily to know.
- STEFAN: I won't. I promise.
- VALERIE: Okay.
[Valerie hesitates awkwardly]
- VALERIE: I don't presume to know you now, or even what you wanted back then, but...
- STEFAN: [cuts her off] Yes. Would I have wanted a child? Yes.
[Valerie looks surprised by this answer, and they stand in uncomfortable silence for a long moment]
- STEFAN: Look, we have, um, five guest rooms. You should probably stay the night.
- VALERIE: [sighs] No. I should run as far and fast as I can.
- STEFAN: [shakes his head] Damon won't let Lily get her hands on that stone. And, if she does, I will kill Julian myself.
[At the SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE, Mary Louise, Nora, Beau and Lily are standing around the dining room table, where Julian's body has been laid on top of it. His shirt is off, and the Phoenix Stone is resting right over Julian's heart. On his left pectoral muscle, there is a thick scar in the shape of an X, just like the one on Beau's collarbone and on Stefan's chest in the flash-forwards. Beau, Nora, and Mary Louise have their hands out over Julian's body, and the girls are chanting the incantation for the spell to resuscitate him while Beau gently mouths the words, unable to actually speak them]
- NORA & MARY LOUISE: [chants] Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Julisan melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Julisan melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah...
[At the MYSTIC GRILL, Damon has joined Bonnie at the bar, where they're drinking more bourbon and discussing what they've learned that day]
- BONNIE: [stunned] So Lily is the reason I'll never see Elena again.
- DAMON: [depressed] Apparently, she has a thing for emotional torture.
- BONNIE: Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?
- DAMON: [offended] Hey! I do not go behind people's back and torture them! I like my enemies to look me in the eye and see the depth of my rage.
[Damon chuckles bitterly, but Bonnie looks at him with concern]
- BONNIE: You sure you wanna do this?
- DAMON: Burning that bastard's body would've been too good for Lily.
[At the SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE, Nora, Mary Louise, and Beau continue the spell to resurrect Julian. The bubbles in the Phoenix Stone start to move around inside of it, and Beau slowly moves one hand from side to side as if to direct Julian's spirit]
- NORA & MARY LOUISE: [chants] Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Julisan melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Julisan melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan...
[At the MYSTIC GRILL, Damon and Bonnie continue their conversation]
- DAMON: I want to give her that man she's cherished and loved and missed for a hundred years.
[At the SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE, the spell continues]
- NORA & MARY LOUISE: [chants] Julisan melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan...
[At the MYSTIC GRILL, Bonnie and Damon continue to talk]
- DAMON: I want her to run into Julian's arms, and I want her to remember what it feels like to have him returned. I want her to taste true happiness...
[At the SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE, the spell continues]
- NORA & MARY LOUISE: [chants] Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Julisan melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Julisan melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Julisan melunaweh washaset
[All of the lit candles in the room, along with the fire in the fireplace, start to burst into even larger flames, and sparks shower down on them from the overhead lights. The tiny bubbles inside the Phoenix Stone spin rapidly in a spiral until suddenly, Julian's eyes flick open, revealing the same kaleidoscope effect of the stone in his irises for a moment before they return to normal. The flames all die down, and the lights shut off, causing Mary Louise, Nora, and Beau to open their eyes and find Julian awake on the table. He gasps in shock and sits up on his elbows, looking frantically around the room as a teary-eyed Lily rushes over to him]
- LILY: Julian, is it you?
[Julian's eyes widen in surprise as he turns to see her face, and he laughs happily]
- JULIAN: Lily? Darling!
[Lily is so relieved she rushes closer to him, allowing him to run his hand through her hair as he cups the back of her head and embraces her. Mary Louise and Nora look happy to see him well, and he and Lily to laugh euphorically before they begin to kiss passionately]
[At the MYSTIC GRILL, Bonnie and Damon are still talking]
- DAMON: And then, I want to rip his head off right in front of her. I want to break her heart. I want to break her spirit. I want to destroy her.
[Bonnie looks at him and smirks in amusement]
- BONNIE: So much for that new leaf, huh?
- DAMON: [sighs] Tell me I'm being stupid and reckless and cruel. Tell me I'm not doing right by Elena.
[Bonnie smiles at him]
- BONNIE: You're doing right by Elena.
[At these words, Damon smiles brightly at her and holds up his drink as a toast]
- DAMON: Well, glad to see you boarding this train to Crazytown, Bonnie Bennett! I was getting lonely all by myself.
[Bonnie smiles back at him, and the two drink their bourbon as a toast to their friendship]