Outside references are deliberately inserted references to The Vampire Diaries from TV shows, movies, and other outside sources.
- In 1x02 Kat said: "I'm not skipping home to scribble in my journal that maybe you're a vampire!!"
(July 14, 2009)
- In 5x18 Liz said: "Maybe something with vampires? Everything has vampires nowadays. Have you seen the Twilight movies, or Vampire Diaries?
(March 24, 2011)
- In 1x01 Charlie said: "Or The Vampire Diaries" during a conversation referencing tv shows that contain groups of young protagonists protecting small towns from supernatural threats. Ram asked: "You watch Vampire Diaries?" Charlie replied: "Everyone is very attractive" to which Ram conceded: "Yes it is true"
(March 7, 2017)
- In 3x18 Eliot said: "I love Dorota. We're tight now. We talked about "The Vampire Diaries" in the elevator on Friday."
(April 12, 2010)
- In 1x13 Schmidt said: It's one of my desert island books. Along with Machiavelli's "The Prince", "Freak" by John Leguizamo, any of the scripts from the first season of "Vampire Diaries..."
(February 2, 2012)
- In 1x06 while being undercover: "Some high praise for The Vampire Diaries, so I might have to check that out."
(May 5, 2016)
- In 2x10 Sandra said: Did anyone watch "Vampire Diaries" last night? Damien's really gotten out of control."
(January 12,, 2017)
- In 2x12 a guy said to Sandra: Does your husband or boyfriend like "Vampire Diaries" as much as you do?"
(February 2,, 2017)
- In 1x02 on the shirts of the lacrosse team there is MFH written on them. A reference to Mystic Falls High.
(June 6, 2011)
- In 4x19 Kalinda mentions Vampire Diaries fan-fiction (about Delena) while Diane has no clue what is she talking about.
(March 21, 2013)
- In 4x17, the first two suicides in the office building are by men named Ian and Paul.
(March 26, 2009)
- The pairing of Elena and Damon have been referred in this novel written by Krista Ritchie-"He's not the Clyde to my Bonnie or the Damon to my Elena."
The Lost Herondale
- "Sexiest is definitely Drusilla, though if you ask a girl, she'll probably say Damon Salvatore..." Simon shrugged.