Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||The final act of Le Grand Guignol is upon us! Where are my players? Enough running, children! Step out of the shadows so we can finish this tale of sorrows.||”|
SummaryA NIGHT AT THE OPERA — In a series of flashbacks to 1919, Klaus opens up to Camille and reveals details of the devastating secret Rebekah and Marcel were trying to keep from him. Elijah forms an unlikely alliance with Monique and asks for her help in locating Sabine. Elsewhere, Thierry is reluctant to get involved when Marcel and Rebekah approach him with a plan to take down the witches. Meanwhile, in The Bayou, Hayley is at her wits’ end and holds Sabine hostage in an attempt to get information that will reverse the curse on her werewolf clan.
|begins with Elijah telling Hayley about the history of the witches. They're interrupted by , who informs them that Davina is safe and sound in her bed. Elijah says he cant understand how Celeste figures into things.
Marcel goes into Davina's room, but she immediately lashes out at him, throwing him against the wall. Then she begins coughing up dirt (really oreo cookies!). Klaus tells Elijah and Hayley that he thinks witches are a pain in the ass!
Hayley is about to confess about Celeste when the house begins to shake. Davina is trying to rest when Rebekah enters her room to check how shes doing. Davina is confused and doesn't understand whats happening to her. Klaus asks Marcel for advice, but hes just concerned with how Davina is doing. Elijah leaves to see if he can find Sophie for help.
As Elijah leaves, Hayley stops him and confesses that she read his journals and gave the information to Sophie about where Celeste was buried. Hayley is devastated that she hid this from him, especially when she sees his hurt expression. He tells her he had made Celeste a promise that her remains would never be found, and now Hayley has made him break his promise.
In the cemetery, Sabine is doing a spell, but Sophie stops her and tells her she wants to be an elder and that shes planning on absorbing Celeste's power. But Sabine is apparently Celeste and already is working on taking her power back. Elijah interrupts them and orders Sophie to go with him.
At the compound, the house shakes again because Davina has yet another spell. Sophie tells them they have to complete the Harvest now. Davinas power is tearing her apart. Klaus goes to talk with Father Kieran about the situation, while Rebekah tries to talk to Davina about completing the Harvest.
Now that the earth has shaken, the wind begins howling and blowing everything about with a vengeance. Rebekah gives Davina a shot to settle her. Marcel comes to keep watch over Davina in her room. Downstairs, Klaus and Elijah discuss killing Davina to stop the devastation. Marcel overhears and punches Klaus in the face. Klaus tells him he can have that one. He knows how much Davina means to Marcel so hes letting it go. They argue about what the best course of action is, and Klaus says hes going to make sure the city doesn't burn.
In the bar, Rebekah asks Sophie if shes ready to slit Davina's throat and finish the Harvest. She tells her yes, then Rebekah tells her that afterward she wants her to team up with her against Klaus and Marcel. In Davina's room, Marcel is torn up about what to do next, so he takes out the IV, picks her up, and leaves.
Elijah, Sophie, and Sabine are in the cemetery getting ready for the Harvest. Sabine chats with Elijah about past loves and trying to be happy. They both know what they've lost. Rebekah calls Elijah to tell him Marcel took Davina.
While Hayley is crying and putting food in a box to take to the church, Klaus sees her and grabs a carton of food to help and they both leave for the church. Hayley seems a little surprised at the help.
Elijah and Sabine are working on a locator spell to find Davina. Sabine seems a little stressed, probably because she doesn't want to reveal what shes up to. Elijah tries to calm her down.
Marcel has taken Davina to his warehouse and tells her hes trying to save her and wants to keep her safe. Davina is still scared and doesn't want to die. Marcel assures her that shes not alone.
After Klaus and Hayley deliver the food to the church, Klaus asks Father Kieran if hes seen Marcel and Davina and tells him its important that he has to find them now. As he and Hayley leave, Klaus tells her the werewolves Father Kieran is protecting is his family, so the food will also feed them and hopefully keep them safe from whats coming. He tells Hayley she should just apologize to Elijah. Elijah is a master at forgiveness.
Back at the cemetery, Elijah and Sabine still cant locate Davina. Sophie rushes in and announces the spell isn't working because somebody has already taken Celeste's magic. Gee I wonder who! Sophie asks if there's another powerful witch whose bones haven't been touched that might work. He immediately thinks of his mother, Esther.
Elijah meets with Klaus and Rebekah and says he wants to use Esthers magic to finish everything. He suggests using their land to rebury her so that Sophie can take her magic. They all agree, so now they just have to rebury her and ask Father Kieran to consecrate the grave.
Rebekah goes to the garden to ask Thierry if he knows where Marcel may have taken Davina. He finally reveals that Marcel has probably taken her to the warehouse at the docks.
At the warehouse, Davina is looking bad. Marcel is trying to comfort her when Rebekah arrives. Earth and wind are finished, so now its waters turn, and Davina starts throwing it up. Now the deluge will begin. The last will be fire, which will consume everything.
Father Kieran is at Esther's grave site with Klaus, Rebekah, Elijah, and Hayley, as they stand under umbrellas with the rain pouring down on them and into the grave. Each in turn cuts their palms and lets their blood fall into the grave as Father Kieran blesses it.
Sabine and Sophie have laid out the other three dead girls in preparation for completing the Harvest once Marcel arrives with Davina. At the docks, Davina tells Marcel that its okay. Shes had a good life thanks to Marcel and doesnt want to kill anybody else. She says shes ready. He begins to cry, knowing this might really kill her for good.
The rain begins to stop and the fire begins as Marcel carries Davina to the cemetery. Sophie sanctifies the knife with fire to prepare the blade,then she slits Davinas throat as Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah, and everybody watch. Both the rain and fire stop as Davina falls into Marcels arms. They all look devastated.
As they stand around the now four dead girls, Sophie asks for the ancestors to resurrect the girls. After three more times, she begins to plead for their resurrection, but nothing happens. Sophie is broken, thinking Davina and the other girls died for nothing. Marcel and Klaus glare at each other as everybody else cries. Marcel goes back to the compound and begins throwing things and breaking everything up.
Klaus tries to stop him and grabs him. He knows what Davina meant to him and knows how much hes hurting. He says he felt the same way when he thought Marcel had died. He apologizes that the Harvest didnt work out and hugs him as Marcel continues to cry.
As they walk home, Hayley apologizes to Elijah. He tells her just giving an apology doesnt make things that easy. He says he really loved Celeste and still does. He also tells her that it hurt him that she saw his memories of Celeste, especially since she knows that happened and that she betrayed his promise to Celeste.
Hayley starts to leave, but Elijah grabs her. They just stare at each other and almost kiss, but Elijah stops. Hayley tells him she thinks its time for him to move on, forget the dead, and return to the living (i.e., Hayley). Hurt and disappointed, Hayley walks away, leaving Elijah looking lost and alone by himself in the street.
At the compound, Klaus pours drinks for himself and Rebekah. He compliments how resourceful she was. She confesses that hes not the only one that has some spies. He admits that he doesn't always give her her dues. They discuss how they both really thought the plan of completing the Harvest would work, then they both wonder what happened to all the power that was supposed to appear. Where did it go?
Answer! Sabine, in the cemetery, completes a spell as the power courses up her arms. Shes bringing three witch ancestors back from the dead. From the other side. They casually walk down a street in the French Quarter as Sabine greets them. They greet her as Sabine. Then she tells them to call her by her real name. Celeste!
So, instead of the four girls returning, Celeste and these three witches have returned.
- Antagonists: Mikael (1919) and Céleste (present).
- Narrator: Elijah Mikaelson.
- Title meaning: a reference to a theater in Paris open between 1897 and 1962 which specialized in horror shows; it is possibly a reference to Mikael's destruction of New Orleans and also of Klaus's hunt for Rebekah.
- This is Mikael's first appearance since Always and Forever the premiere of The Originals.
- Rebekah and Marcel are running from Klaus, much like Katerina Petrova, Rose and Trevor did back in the fifteenth century.
- In this episode, we learn that it's possible to avoid being tracked by a locator spell with what's known as a cloaking spell.
- Mikael is revealed to have struck a deal with Marcel in 1919, in which he promised to spare Rebekah's life so long as Marcel told him Klaus' whereabouts.
- Celeste was killed in this episode when Elijah, suspicious of her intentions, informed Monique about the likelihood of her defecting from the witches and taking the Harvest power. This led Monique to cast a spell that trapped Celeste in her resurrected original body and prevented her from possessing another, allowing him to stab her with Papa Tunde's Blade and kill her for good.
- This could have been considered foreshadowing of Esther's resurrection at the end of the season when she "body-jumped" into Cassie, as her grimoire is what held the spell that allowed Monique to trap Celeste in her original body, demonstrating her skill and understanding of spirit possession spells. It is also possible that she got the idea from Celeste during her time with the Ancestors.
- This episode marks the first time that we see Elijah's full vampire face, instead of just his red, veiny eyes, when he bares his fangs and hisses at both Celeste and Klaus at the cemetery.
- This episode marked the first time Elijah is seen biting someone's neck, when he attacked Celeste in Sabine's body.
- Céleste makes for Hayley a herbal potion that is to be used on the next full moon to reverse the Crescent Curse on her pack.
- Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah are trapped in Lafayette Cemetery by Celeste at the end of the episode.
- This episode is also the first time that the theme "Klaus' Mercy" was featured in The Originals, since it was used in several episodes of The Vampire Diaries.
- Davina was resurrected in this episode after Celeste's death caused the power that she stole from the Harvest to be returned to her.
- Céleste Dubois - stabbed, killed by Elijah Mikaelson.
- Sabine Laurent - slit throat, killed by Céleste Dubois.
- Bastianna Natale - beheaded, killed by Marcel Gerard.
- Lana (past) - impaled, killed by Mikael.
- Mikael was last seen in Always and Forever (via flashback). He was last mentioned in Long Way Back From Hell.
- Thierry Vanchure was last seen in Dance Back from the Grave.
- Camille was last seen in Crescent City.
- Céleste, in her original body, was last seen during flashbacks in The River in Reverse.
- Klaus now knows that Rebekah and Marcel summoned Mikael to New Orleans in 1919.
- Klaus wields the indestructible White Oak Stake in this episode, which was revealed to have been hidden in a statue in his office.
- Eve was last seen in Reigning Pain in New Orleans, marking an absence of five episodes.
- This is the second episode of The Originals to have a French name. The first was Après Moi, Le Déluge.
- This episode marks the return of Davina, who was killed in Apres Moi, Le Deluge during the Harvest.
- This is the third episode to feature a flashback to New Orleans in 1919 and the second to feature back to back flashbacks this season since Always and Forever and House of the Rising Son.
- This is the first episode to feature the whole main cast since The Casket Girls.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.80 million viewers in the USA, which was 0.03 million less than the previous episode.
- Le Théâtre du Grand-Guignol, also known as the Grand Guignol – was a theatre in the Pigalle area of Paris (at 20 bis, rue Chaptal). From its opening in 1897 until its closing in 1962, it specialized in naturalistic horror shows.
- Its name is often used as a general term for graphic, amoral horror entertainment, a genre popular from Elizabethan and Jacobean theatre (for instance Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, and Webster's The Duchess of Malfi and The White Devil), to today's splatter films.
- Some say that Théâtre des Vampires in Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles was inspired by Le Grand Guignol, however Anne claims she did not know of this until after writing her novels.
- The scene with the fire at the opera house is a nod to the scene in Interview With A Vampire where Louis sets fire to the Théâtre des Vampires.
- Grand Guignol is the second full-length studio album released by John Zorn's band Naked City in 1992 on the Japanese Avant label.
- Marcel: "There's only one way that we can truly hide from Klaus forever... get outta town."
- Rebekah: "He'll chase us to the end of the earth. It's a suicide mission."
- Marcel: "It's our only hope."
- Klaus: "They will pay for this."
- Rebekah: "If we don't leave now, there will be no one to save him."
- Klaus: "Rebekah!"
- Marcel: "I am NOT going to leave you behind!"
- Marcel: "There's only one way that we can hide from Klaus forever."
- Rebekah: "It's a suicide mission."
- Marcel: "It's our only hope."
- Rebekah: "No one can hide forever."
- Rebekah: "Get out of here."
- Marcel: "I will not leave you behind."
- Klaus: "Well, this is a first! Werewolves, vampires, witches and dirty cops, all happy as clams and all drunk as stoats."
- Lana: "You gotta love this town."
- Elijah: "To a new era, collaboration in the face of Prohibition."
- Lana: "To your dogs, their booze, and our theatres to hide it under. You're welcome boys."
- Cami: "Wow. Things I never thought I'd be doing: feeding a vampire. My 16-year-old self would think I'm really cool right now."