|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 17|
|Air date||April 7th 2011|
|Written by||Mike Daniels|
|Directed by||Wendey Stanzler|
|Episode Guide transcript|
The House Guest
The Last Dance
Know Thy Enemy is the seventeenth episode of the Second Season and the thirty-ninth episode in the series.
HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT — Elena and Alaric both lash out at John when Isobel’s unexpected arrival leaves Jenna devastated. Bonnie works with Damon and Jeremy to find the spell they’ll need to harness her ancestors’ power. A heartbroken Caroline doesn’t know what to do about Matt. Stefan and Damon realize they have a new secret weapon.
The episode starts immediately where the last one ended. Isobel says that it is nice to see Elena again and asks Jenna to let her in, but Elena says no and closes the door. Jenna is devastated by finding out that Elena knew that Isobel was alive all along, and goes upstairs and starts to cry. Later, Alaric comes (Stefan and Damon told him about Isobel), but soon after Jenna exits the house. Then John tells Alaric that "if he was honest with her, none of this would have happened".? Alaric punches John after that. Elena tells John that this is all his fault.Meanwhile, Caroline calls Stefan and tells him Matt now knows about vampires, but she can't find him anywhere. Soon after, Stefan comes to the Gilbert House and talks with Elena. John calls them to go downstairs. Isobel is there, John had invited her in. She tells them that she has information about Klaus. She didn't find him but she heard rumors that the doppelgänger exists. She says that she also has a safe-house for Elena, but Elena refuses it.Bonnie, Damon and Jeremy go to the Martins' house to pick up the grimoires.Isobel comes to her new house along with Frank. Katherine is also there. Isobel tells her that she's been busy by talking with Klaus to spare Katherine. She also tells Katherine that she didn't find Klaus but she found one of his warlocks, Maddox.At the Salvatore Boarding House, Damon, Elena and Stefan discuss the newly found information. After they leave for the Lockwood Mansion, Katherine finds the moonstone. At the Lockwoods, Caroline asks Elizabeth Forbes and Carol Lockwood about Matt.
Isobel talks with Alaric outside the building. She said that she is sorry and then Maddox knocked him with witch power. When Elena accepted her reward, Isobel bit John to create distraction to allow Katherine to kidnap Elena. Stefan followed "Elena" to the parking lot, then she stabbed him and threw him into the bushes.
Meanwhile, Bonnie works with Jeremy and Damon in order to find the spell they will need to gather the power of the witches killed in the massacre. Damon takes them to the site where the witches were burned. Damon knew where it was because he had tried to save Emily, but only because she was the key to getting Katherine back. Inside the house on the site of the massacre, Damon finds that he cannot move and tells Bonnie that if this is a prank it's not funny. His ring then stops working and he begins to burn. He tells Bonnie to help and she closes her eyes and starts muttering a spell. Damon is able to move again and Bonnie tells him that she doesn't think that the witches like him being there.He exited the house.Then Bonnie called the withes and soon after she got a lot of power.
Damon came home carrying John's body (who is alive thanks to his ring). Stefan told him to tell him that Isobel took the moonstone. Isobel was in the car with Elena and Frank. She called Katherine to told her that she is sorry. Then Maddox knocked out Katherine too.
Isobel brought Elena to the Grove Hill Cemetery where they stand at her grave. The grave was put there by Elena's grandparents when it became clear to them that the police were never going to find Isobel's body. Isobel received a phone call from Maddox who told her that she has finished what Klaus compelled her to do and is free to let Elena go. Then she said to Elena that she is sorry that she was a disappointment to her, then she removed her lapis lazuli necklace and burned to death.
Matt told sheriff that vampire killed his sister Vicki. Now he came to Caroline house. He demands her to tell him what happened to Vicki and everything about her. After Caroline has told him everything, he tells her that he doesn't want to remember any of it because he doesn't want to look at her and see what she really is. Caroline compels him to forget but it is later revealed that it was a setup by Sheriff Forbes to find out everything about the vampires. Matt had already secretly drink some vervain before he went to Caroline's house, so when Matt told Caroline to compelled him her compulsion didn't work.
Damon and Stefan searched Isobel's house. After that, they gave Elena their house to protect her from vampires. Damon and Stefan figured that they have new secret weapon-Bonnie, cause nobody knows hat she got her powers back.
In the last scene, Katherine awakens in some house. She saw Maddox doing some spell on Alaric. She tried to escape but is unsuccessfully. Then it was revealed that Klaus is now possessing Alaric's body.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert/Katherine Pierce
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (credit only)
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman/Niklaus Mikaelson
- David Anders as John Gilbert
- Marguerite MacIntyre as Elizabeth Forbes
- Bryton James as Luka Martin (his corpse)
- Susan Walters as Carol Lockwood
- Antagonist: Niklaus Mikaelson
- First appearance of Klaus though only in Alaric's body.
- Isobel dies in this episode, making her the second character whose name is an episode title to die after Rose.
- This episode marks the first time we see a vampire die from sun exposure. However Ben died from fire in Fool Me Once in season 1.
- This is the first time we see a Lapis Lazuli stop working.
- This is the first episode of a vampire killed by sunlight.
- The name of the episode was revealed on Valentine's Day, by Ian Somerhalder.
- This episode has only two songs on the soundtrack, so it is episode with the least songs featured.
- Matt Davis becomes the second main cast member to have a dual role after Nina Dobrev.
- All five characters from Season One that reappear in this episode:
- Isobel Flemming
- John Gilbert
- Elizabeth Forbes
- Carol Lockwood
- This episode had 2.730 million viewers in the USA.
- Stefan: "Why don't you call Alaric and let him know that his wife just showed up on his girlfriend's doorstep."
- Damon: "Don’t mistake the fact that we haven’t set you on fire in your sleep for trust."
- Damon: "Great, we’ll have to put that on our list of things to do today. ‘Harness dead witch power."
- Elena: "You screw up everything, John. Everything you touch just falls apart. But you’re the only parent I have left. So maybe I can learn not to hate you."
- Klaus (in Alaric's body): Bulgarian: "Здравей, Катерина!" English: "Hello, Katherine!"
- Elena (about Isobel): "If that’s what you thought of her, then why did you ever put your trust in her at all?"
- John: "Because I was there when she gave birth to you, Elena. I saw how heartbroken she was to give you up. And because she was the first girl I ever loved. And when she said she’d help keep you safe, I believed her."
- John (about Isobel): "I always knew that she and Katherine were close, but I never realized that Isobel and her were working against me. Two of the world’s most uncaring and selfish vampires, and yet they were genuinely friends."
- Caroline (about Matt): "You know, this wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. I was supposed to tell him at the right moment, in the right way, and he was supposed to be okay with it because he loves me."