|“||Some time ago, I refused to trust you with our daughter. I took you from Hope. I was wrong. Take care of her.||”|
Klaus and Hayley first met in The Rager, when Hayley came to Mystic Falls to visit Tyler Lockwood, whom she helped to break his sire bond. Klaus initially believed her to be someone with whom Tyler had a fling while they were in the Appalachians, a misconception that Tyler and Hayley encouraged to cover up their plans to help the rest of Klaus' hybrids break their sire bonds. It was later revealed that Hayley was working with Shane, who promised her information on her true parentage in exchange for her help in manipulating Klaus into murdering his hybrids.
Hayley returned to Mystic Falls in Bring It On, during which Klaus tried to obtain information from her about Katherine Pierce, which ultimately led to them having sex. It was later revealed when they met again in New Orleans that Hayley was pregnant with his child, their daughter Hope Mikaelson, who they conceived during their one-night-stand. Their main priority is to protect Hope. However they have disagreements over the best way to protect their daughter.
Unfortunately, their relationship takes a turn for the worse when Hayley tried to take Hope away from Klaus. Klaus became hurt/enraged by this attempt and he had Dahlia place The Crescent Curse on Hayley and her pack, as punishment for trying to take their daughter away from him. They are no longer friends or allies after this; they have become enemies once again.
In You Hung the Moon, after six months, Hayley and her pack are temporarily released from the curse, and she confronts Klaus for what he did to her and fights him, eventually resulting in her taking custody of Hope from him. They continue to share an antagonistic rivalry, but are allies for the sake of their daughter. However, they somewhat reconcile later on and end up running away together with their daughter after Klaus' sireline is broken, which sends all of his enemies rushing to kill him.
They are known as "Klayley" by fans.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
In The Rager, they first met in the Lockwood mansion, after Hayley decided to visit her friend Tyler. Hayley immediately recognized him as an Original and didn't bother to hide her dislike for the hybrid. Klaus speculated that she and Tyler had an affair while he was off breaking his sire bond, a rumor which they both let him believe in order to hide their true intentions, which was to help the rest of the hybrids break free from Klaus' control.
After Dean's death, Klaus was upset by Dean's failure to keep Elena secure in his home and to prevent Connor's death, but Hayley argued that he should have had Dean use force against the hunter. Later that night, Hayley covered for Chris, lying that it was she who let Elena out of her "cell", and not Chris. Hayley also added that if he wanted to kill someone, he should kill her, as she'd rather die than end up being one of his hybrid slaves.In Bring It On, Klaus saved Hayley from a rogue vampire sent by Katherine, and it was revealed that Klaus and Hayley had made a pact; she would give Klaus information on Katherine in exchange for safety from Katherine's minions. Hayley went back to Klaus' mansion with him and looked through all of his paintings, taking a liking to a certain one she describes as "twisted". Klaus reminded Hayley that their time together was because he wanted information on Katherine, so Hayley suggestively replied that she might just tell him. Later, Klaus told Hayley she was free to go, seeing as Will had been killed, but did admit that she could stay if she wanted. Hayley replied that she could be persuaded to stay, as she likes to enjoy "the good life". Asking her again if she would like to stay or go, she told Klaus that she knows that he likes to be in control, so he should decide.
Klaus pushed a piece of hair from her face and started kissing her. They began stripping and kissing aggressively before he pushed her onto the table. He looked down at her and began kissing her neck. They ultimately moved to the bedroom, where they proceeded to have sex.
In a later scene, Hayley was seen sitting near Klaus on the bed, putting on her bra after a night of hooking up. While Klaus was watching her from his bed, he noticed Hayley's unique crescent-moon birthmark on her shoulder blade. He then revealed to her that he'd seen this birthmark before, but only on a handful of other people who descended from the same bloodline - a werewolf clan that once thrived through what is now Louisiana. Hayley was shown to be intrigued by this information and demanded to know if he was serious, as finding a connection to her biological family was not a joke to her. However, Klaus insisted that he wouldn't dare to lie about it, as matters of family are sacred.
In The Originals, Sophie explained to Klaus that she had the gift to sense a pregnancy. Sophie looked at Hayley, and sensed it was Klaus' daughter, mentioning that nature had found a loophole because while Klaus was a vampire, he was born a werewolf. Upon hearing the baby's heartbeat, Klaus was visibly shocked, and left in a huff, leaving Hayley behind. Hayley appeared to be hurt by Klaus' lack of affection toward her and their unborn child and his seemingly lack of desire to see her live. Elijah later managed to convince Klaus that his and Hayley's child could be their family's one chance at redemption. Klaus, seemingly now on board with the idea, replied that every king needs an heir.
Throughout The Originals Series
In For the Next Millennium, six months have passed, however, Klaus still has not forgiven Hayley for trying to take Hope away from him, he refuses to see her, also Klaus has refused to help find a cure for Hayley's curse.
In You Hung the Moon, Hayley and Klaus share a violent reunion. Hayley finally has her human form back to get back at Klaus for having Dahlia place the Crescent Wolf Curse upon her and her werewolf family. Klaus and Hayley violently fight in the Mikaelson Compound as the rest of the Mikaelson family are forced to watch. Hayley and Klaus stop fighting when Hope appears outside of her nursery and walking on the foyer on the second floor of the Mikaelson Compound. Klaus seems to regret his actions of placing the curse on her when Hayley picks up Hope in her arms and cries bitterly that she missed Hope's first steps. Later on, Hayley hatefully tells Klaus that she is taking Hope from him and claims that she is going to raise her with Jackson, in an apartment, across the street from the Mikaelson Compound. Klaus does not argue with Hayley and stares into space as she carries Hope out of the Mikaelson Compound
In I'll See You in Hell or New Orleans, Klaus and Hayley don't interact with each other. However, Jackson takes Hayley out, while Freya Mikaelson watches Hope, to blow off some steam. Hayley is tired of the stress of the Mikaelson life, which includes Klaus and she complains about all he has done to her, them and everyone else Klaus has affected negatively. Jackson helps Hayley to let go of that stress and to get her mind off Klaus and the rest of the Mikaelson family.
In A Walk on the Wild Side, the Mikaelson family talk about who should attend the Strix ball. Klaus and Hayley bicker about their current tension and hatred towards each other as the rest of the Mikaelson family arranges for Elijah and Hayley to attend the ball with Marcel. The three ally together in order to help Marcel be inducted within the Strix's inner circle.
In A Ghost Along the Mississippi, Jackson Kenner is killed by Tristan de Martel as revenge against Hayley for torturing him, therefore Hayley can no longer keep Hope away from Klaus, as the apartment she living in was in Jackson's name. Klaus learns from Elijah or Freya (off-screen) that Hayley has been captured by the Strix, although he is still clearly angry with Hayley for trying to keep his daughter away from him, he still rescues her, despite this, Klaus still has not yet forgiven the latter for this act.
In Behind the Black Horizon, Klaus and Hayley embarked on a mission to determine the hidden agenda of Kingmaker, Lucien Castle's private company. He willingly stayed by Hayley's side as they fought Lucien's private security force and released the captive werewolves. Hayley told Klaus that she wanted to see what it was like to work alongside Klaus under a common banner and she finally got the chance, showing her appreciation to him for being there for her. However, she insisted that Klaus return to his family to take the chance of making Finn an ally. Later on, Hayley returned to the Abattoir after the Mikaelsons said their goodbyes to Finn. She relayed to them what she and Klaus learned in their time together.
In The Bloody Crown, Klaus and Hayley, along with the rest of the Mikaelson family, ally together to try and stop Marcel from destroying the family. Hayley helps around the apartment the Mikaelson family found refuge in while Klaus stands trial for his crimes against his former sireline. Before Klaus leaves to stand trial against his crimes, he apologized to Hayley for wronging her and he says goodbye to Hope in a heartfelt letter. Marcel convicts Klaus and sentences him to Lafayette Cemetery to desiccate, while under the excruciatingly painful magic of Papa Tunde's blade. Hayley supports Klaus to do this because Freya linked his life to the rest of the Mikaelson siblings. While the Mikaelson siblings rest and while Klaus is forced to endure constant pain under Papa Tunde's blade, Hayley is tasked with raising Hope by herself and finding magical cures for all the Mikaelson siblings and to ensure the survival of the Mikaelson family.
The Originals Season Two
The Originals Season Three
The Vampire Diaries
TVD and TO
- Klaus and Hayley are both werewolves. They come from different bloodlines of two of the oldest werewolf packs. North East Atlantic Pack and Crescent Wolf Pack have ties from the beginning of werewolf history.
- The actors who portray Hayley and Klaus are linked to Claire Holt; both are also close friends with Holt in real life.
- Klaus has a special nickname for Hayley; "Little Wolf", whereas with other girls, he calls them "love".
- Klaus called Hayley "wolf girl" once in The Vampire Diaries.
- They both have absentee parents (Hayley was orphaned, and Klaus didn't know his biological father).
- The people who raised them thought of them as disappointments. Hayley's adoptive parents kicked her out after she had accidentally tore up the living room, revealing to be a werewolf and Mikael tried to kill Klaus because of Esther's affair.
- Neither of them knew they were werewolves until after they first turned.
- Klaus knows about Hayley's heritage because he recognized her birth mark.
- When Klaus first met Hayley, he assumed that she and Tyler had an affair behind Caroline's back, although this was proven to be false.
- Klaus asked the vampires in Reigning Pain in New Orleans to show respect towards Hayley at the feast.
- Klaus saved Hayley's life in Bring It On.
- According to Julie Plec, Klaus and Hayley have "wicked chemistry".
- Klaus chose to share the discovery of his werewolf clan relatives with Hayley.
- Klayley has made front page in an Ukrainian Magazine.
- Klayley have won the following polls:
- Klaus and Hayley have won the Buddy TV Showdown Poll "Which Couple Are You Rooting For"?.
- Klaus and Hayley lead the Midseason Poll "Best Potential Pairing on The Originals" 2013.
- Klayley (Klaus and Hayley) has won the Portrait Magazine Poll in front of every other The Originals ships.
- Klayley (Klaus and Hayley) has won the official Eonline love triangles poll against Haylijah (Elijah and Hayley), the 4th poll won in a row on the new series.
- Klayley (Klaus and Hayley) has won the official Relationship Poll on The Originals Website, voted as Favorite Couple of The Originals Series.
- Hayley doesn't believe that Mikael's words of Klaus being an abomination are true.
- Klayley shared a scene in From a Cradle to a Grave, where Klaus felt the baby kicking.
- Klaus named their daughter Hope.
- Klaus and Hayley gave Hope to Rebekah to keep her safe. They both had the same opinion about it - they were distraught to do it, but in the end, they wanted what was best for their daughter.
- According to Phoebe Tonkin, Klaus and Hayley will grow closer together in Season 2, as Hayley struggles with her new life as a hybrid.
- Joseph Morgan said that he sees a sibling/friend relationship forming between Klaus and Hayley.
- When asked about Klayley, Julie Plec gave some insight that she likes to start her couples with "I hate you" or in a friendship. She sees Klaus and Hayley as kindred spirits.
- Joshua Butler, one of the directors of TVD and TO, ships Klaus and Hayley.
- Nishi Munshi admitted that she ships Klaus and Hayley.
- In Rebirth, Elijah said that Klaus is the only one who can truly understand how Hayley feels.
- Klaus said she was his family in Rebirth. He also tells Jackson in Sanctuary, that he considers her a part of his family.
- In Alive and Kicking, Klaus helps Hayley talk to the werewolves. He also states that he is a good influence on her.
- In Every Mother's Son, he gets upset that Hayley is thinking about switching bodies.
- In The Map of Moments, they are reunited with their daughter Hope after four months apart.
- Since Hayley has married Jackson, she and Klaus disagree more with how to protect Hope from Dahlia; Klaus' belief on how to protect Hope from Dahlia is correct unlike Hayley's.
- Hayley is the first person Klaus said the words, "I trust you" to; however, Klaus has lost complete trust in Hayley, after she tried to take their daughter away from him. Klaus began to trust Hayley again.
- Klaus had Dahlia place the Crescent Curse on Hayley and her pack, partly as punishment for trying to take Hope away from him, and mainly to gain Dahlia's trust to take her down; they are no longer friends or allies after this attempt, they have become enemies once again.
- Klaus' nickname for their daughter, littlest wolf, stems from the nickname he gave Hayley.
- As of An Old Friend Calls, their originally-decimated relationship and friendship (due to their betrayals to each other) is currently on its way to repair. They decide to run away together in order to keep Hope Mikaelson safe and for Klaus to stay alive from the enemies hunting him due to his unlinked sireline.
- In Alone with Everybody they have a honest and deep talk about what's best for their family and for their daughter and they come to an agreement. They will decide together what's best for Hope as partners.
- In Where Nothing Stays Buried, Lucien refers to them as King and Queen.
- Klaus bowed down before Lucien to save Hayley's life.
- It is currently unknown if Hayley and Klaus knew about the deaths of Tyler and Stefan.
- Hayley spent five years of her life tracking down the seven werewolf families whose venom would help her save him and the rest of the Mikaelsons.
- She left her pack and renounced her leadership as she chose Klaus and the Mikaelsons over them.