|“||It's the intersection between science and spirit, darlings. With the right chemistry, you can realize your wildest dreams.||”|
Kemiya (كيمياء; pronounced KE-mi-AH) is an Arabian form of Witchcraft that allows a witch to physically destroy elemental foundation of an object in order to create another or to magically imbue said creation with harmful, supernatural properties, thus creating a Dark Object. It was taught to the French Quarter Coven in 1914 by Kol Mikaelson.
It crosses the boundary between magic and science, utilizing aspects of both and on the chemistry and connection between witches. Thus, it is able to physically and magically alter the properties of object. In the in Arabic language, it is a translation of the terms "chemistry" and "alchemy".
Kol Mikaelson learned about Kemiya during his time with witches in Arabia. He brought his knowledge of it to the witches in New Orleans in 1914. Hoping to have them use it to create a dagger that would be able to successfully neutralize his brother, Klaus.
Performing Kemiya is a very demanding magic and that it specifically requires the use of two witches as well as an incredible amount of power. Kol had his witch followers, Mary-Alice Claire and Astrid Malchance, to practice in the art of Kemiya. Together, Mary-Alice and Astrid utilized a perfect paragon diamond to focus their power and created an arsenal of Dark Objects.
Spells and Rituals
- Main article: Spells and Rituals
- Kol Mikaelson
- Kaleb Westphall † (possessed by Kol)
- Mary-Alice Claire †
- Astrid Malchance †
- Davina Claire
- Many objects were created using Kemiya. These include: a throwing star that can cause a thousand cuts with a single throw, a bracelet that induces obedience to the wearer, a rosary that drive men into madness, shackles that halt a witch's power and a blade that could create a thousand cuts with just one throw.
- Kol Mikaelson used the dark objects created to allow him to utilize magic without being a witch anymore.
- The Tremé Coven are known to have made most of the dark objects in Kieran's Secret Apartment, hinting at their knowledge of Kemiya.
- Kemiya shares some similarities with the actual practice of alchemy, with its focus on altering elemental properties.