|“||Humanity is a vampire's greatest weakness. No matter how easy it is to turn it off, it keeps trying to fight it's way back in. Sometimes I let it.||”|
Katerina Petrova a.k.a. Katherine Pierce, is a vampire and former lover to both the Salvatore brothers Damon and Stefan . Katerina first appeared in recurring flashbacks, depicting her physically romantic relationship with the Salvatore brothers, eventually turning them both into vampires, but was captured by the townspeople of Mystic Falls to be destroyed. To Klaus's knowledge she is a part of the Petrova Doppelgängers.
However, behind her sweet nature, Katherine revealed her deceptive side and escaped her would-be death with the help of George Lockwood. 145 years later, Katherine returned to Mystic Falls and started toying with the Salvatores again, cutting off her loose ends by destroying the tomb vampires. Katherine was deeply hated for the murder and the turning of Caroline Forbes into a vampire, and using a werewolf, Mason Lockwood, to retrieve the moonstone, an essential element to break The Sun and the Moon Curse. Katherine is exposed as a doppelgänger who spent her immortal life fleeing from an Original named Klaus. And although she chose Stefan over Damon, she promised John Gilbert that she would help protect her descendant Elena Gilbert, who is the center of the Salvatore brothers hearts. She is initially portrayed as the main antagonist, but the arrival of Elijah, an Original vampire, diminishes her attitude and frightens her with the knowledge of Klaus. Her current whereabouts are still unknown since the Homecoming.
Katerina Petrova also known as Katherine Pierce is a member of the Petrova Family.
Katerina Petrova (Cyrillic Катерина Петрова) was born in Bulgaria in 1475 and was born into a poor family who disowned her,after her having a illegitimate daughter in 1490 with an unknown man. Katherine carried the child to term and gave birth to a healthy girl before she was transfigured into a vampire. This was later confirmed and it was shown that her daughter was taken away from Katherina for the best for the child and Katerina, the healthly baby girl was taken within seconds after birth, leaving Katherine devastated.
After being banished to England and had to learn to adjust, she quickly became English. In 1492 she met Trevor who introduced her Lord Elijah who in turn introduced her to his younger brother Lord Niklaus. At first Katerina was attracted to Klaus until she found out what he was and what he wanted from her. She escaped with the help from Trevor who had fallen in love with her. He told her to go to a cottage where she would be safe. When she arrives at a cottage, Katherine meets a lady by the name of Rose.
When Rose found out that she had escaped from Klaus with the moonstone, she locked her in a room and told her that she would take her to Klaus. She tried to commit suicide by stabbing herself with a knife, but Rose force fed her some of her blood to heal her. However when Rose turned her back to confront Trevor, Katerina, hung herself with a length of rope. Later when she woke up as vampire, Trevor asked why she did it and would have helped her live. Katerina explains to Trevor that he would have been able to help her run, and running was never ever going to be enough.
Rose then explains to Trevor that Katerina used him to escape and lead her to rose so she would turn her into a vampire. Knowing Klaus will see their role in the escape, Rose attempted to kill Katerina with a stake but Rose failed as Katerina used the owner of the cabin as a shield , instead of Rose staking Katerina she staked the little old lady who owned the cabin. Katerina then gave in to her instincts of the cravings and drained the little old lady , before throwing the body towards Rose and Trevor, then fleeing into the night. Katerina later returned to Bulgaria to find all her family members slaughtered knowing that it would have been Klaus and getting revenge for Katerina changing into a Vampire.Katerina wept over her mothers body, and tried to see if she was still alive.
As the years passed, Katerina went to America and changed her name to "Katherine Pierce" as she was still evading Klaus. She gained two new friends along the way, Pearl and Anna. She saved a witch named Emily Bennett, causing Emily to be in her debt. Katherine had Emily forge a special jewelry of Lapis Lazuli which could allow vampires to walk in the daylight without being sizzled to death. Katerina then moved to a small town called Mystic Falls, where she was taken in by Giuseppe Salvatore. Katherine met and fell in love with his son Stefan though, his brother Damon charmed her dearly. Katherine made quite a few vampires while in the town but soon the Founding Families discovered their existence. Pearl tried to convince Katherine that they should leave, but Katherine refused, Katerina had a special plan in motion.
Katherine struck a deal with George Lockwood that she would give him the moonstone if he would help her fake her death. He complied. Katherine toyed with Stefan and Damon's affections, causing the two of them to fall in love with her. She slept with both of them and compelled them to keep her secret away from the others. She planned to turn them into vampires and exchanged blood with them both, though only Damon was aware of it. Eventually, Stefan accidentally hinted to his father that he knew a vampire and Katherine's identity was revealed. Giuseppe had spiked Stefan's drink and that night Katherine bit him, Katherine was drugged down from the vervain that was in the bloodstream of Stefan and Katherine taken away, but Damon went to rescue her. Stefan, upset that he had hurt his brother, helped him in the effort, but they were killed in the progress of trying to save their lover Katherine. Stefan and Damon were killed by their own father, Giuseppe.
Katherine and the other vampires were taken to Fell's Church to be destroyed, but George helped Katherine escape. Katherine gave George the moonstone and as she made her way to the get-away carriage, Katherine turned to see Damon and Stefan's lifeless bodies lying in the middle of the road. She ran to them but went to Stefan's body instead of Damons and promised that they would be together again someday. She kisses him and leaves, not paying any attention to Damon. Damon, however, knew Katherine faked her death and was still alive due to his deal with Emily to protect her and the other vampires in the tomb under the church, though he did not know that Katherine had escaped. Over the years, Katherine kept a close eye on Stefan from a distance, such as in 1920, so Damon wouldn't know.
During the roaring 1920's, Katherine was a dancer in Chicago as well as an observer over her former lover Stefan. Katherine found Rebekah's necklace, when trouble broke out in the Gloria's Bar, and wanted to take it, but ran away before Stefan could see her or notice her.
It was later learned that Katherine wanted all tomb vampires dead, so they would not try to kill her for betraying them to save her own life, and moreover Klaus couldn't find out from them that she was still alive. So she sent Isobel to retrieve the invention which is harmful against vampires. She also gave Isobel a lapis lazuli medallion, thus enabling her to walk in the sun. At some point on Founder's Day, Katherine returned to Mystic Falls, pretending to be Elena.
John Gilbert had set off the device and incapacitated the tomb vampires, including the Salvatore brothers. She posed as Elena and fooled many by her deception. Katherine pretended to be Elena and kissed Damon passionately. Jenna, Elena's aunt, interrupted them and unknowingly invited Katherine into the house. She then spoke to John, who told her why he despised vampires so much, believing her to be Elena. Moments into the conversation, she then took a knife and chopped off his fingers, along with his ring then stabbed him. Elena arrived not too long after and heard the noise. She went into the kitchen, curious as to what happened.
Seeing John Gilbert seriously injured, Elena calls for help and is terrified by Katherine's super-speed around the house before leaving. She wreaked havoc for Damon and Stefan, confusing them of who she really loved. Also, she threatened Bonnie, claiming that it never ended well for Bennett witches, but Bonnie used her powers on Katherine, like she did earlier on Damon.
Katherine "acted" like she was in pain, but because she was very old, she had a certain resistance to supernatural phenomena. She admitted to Stefan that she returned for him, but she was furious because he told her that he hated her. She was furious at the fact of Stefan picking Elena over her. Enraged, she stabs him with a metal rod. Damon demanded the truth after he and Katherine kissed heavily, and she confessed that she never loved him and that "it will always be Stefan" that she loved.Katherine appeared later, she went to see Caroline Forbes and told her to give the Salvatore's a message: "Game on." She killed Caroline by smothering her with a pillow, while knowing full well she still had Damon's blood in her system and would come back as a vampire. to Caroline as she was waking up, as Katherine gained access to Caroline's house after Caroline's mother mistook her for Elena and invited her in.
Katherine told Caroline to not be frightened, and that they were going to have so much fun together. Katherine revealed some shocking secrets to Stefan, as she made him dream that he was at the 1864 Founder's Ball with her. While there, he noticed that Damon had found someone to entertain himself with. It was shown for that person Damon had in his arms was Elena. Stefan saw, in his dream, that Damon and Elena were on a date and were kissing. Later on after the dream ended, Stefan thought he was holding Elena in his arms, but then realized it was Katherine. Later on, the two talked and Katherine proved that she never compelled Stefan to love her, his love for her being real, and she only compelled him to cover up his fear of vampires.
Also, it was revealed that Katherine escaped the tomb with the help of a werewolf, George Lockwood, to whom after she got out, Katherine gave the Moonstone. In 1864, she also betrayed her best friend Pearl and all the other tomb vampires just to fake her own death. However, she was in love with Stefan, and genuinely cared about him. After the interrogation, she finally met her doppelganger, Elena.
It was soon revealed that she was sleeping with Mason Lockwood, whom she had been using to find the Moonstone to hand over to Klaus to be free from him and to break The Sun and the Moon Curse. But she needed a werewolf to do so. After Mason was killed, Katherine had compelled Matt to pick a fight with Tyler, so that Tyler would kill him and trigger the curse, because Katherine needed a new werewolf to replace Mason.
Katherine decided to retrieve the moonstone herself with the help of Lucy, a witch. She danced with Stefan but when he refused to hand over the stone, she killed Aimee Bradley. Caroline successfully lured Katherine into a room upstairs that Bonnie had put a spell on so vampires couldn't get out. In the attempt to kill her, Damon and Stefan partook in an intense fight between the three of them.
Lucy, however, had cast a spell over Katherine and Elena so whatever happened to Katherine would happen to Elena. However, Lucy turned the tables on her and worked with Bonnie, using a spell that incapacitated her. When she woke up, she was imprisoned in the tomb where Damon said she should have been for a long time. As Damon closed the door of the tomb, Katherine screamed that Elena was in danger and needed to be protected. It was later revealed that Katherine did have a child before she was turned.
Elena visited her and they had a conversation about her past, as Elena constantly gave her blood from a bottle to give her enough strength to talk. She told Elena that she was the first Petrova doppelganger, which means she needed to be sacrificed to break the curse but she escaped Klaus and became a vampire, becoming useless for the sacrifice. Klaus wanted to break the curse so vampires could walk in the sun, and since Elena looked like Katherine, it meant Elena was the second Petrova doppelganger and she was human.
Katherine said would mean Klaus would be coming after her to break the curse. When Klaus came after her, she was given blood by Rose to heal so she wouldn't die, and she later hung herself to be free. When Stefan finally found Elena, Katherine informed them that Klaus would kill all the people Elena loved, just like Klaus did to her. Stefan accused her of tricking Elena, to get herself out of the tomb but Katherine told Stefan that she wanted to be in the tomb due to her protection from Klaus.
Katherine later read a Petrova history book with a drawing of her family with tears in her eyes, showing she had not completely lost her humanity. Bonnie burned a picture of Katherine that belonged to her in 1864 so that Stefan could put it on her, rendering her unconscious for 1-3 minutes. Jeremy ventured into the tomb and asked Katherine for the moonstone, and he threw wood into her chest so he could spray the dust on her. While she was unconscious he went in and obtained the stone, but she awakened and attacked him. Stefan was forced to go into the tomb to save Jeremy and was now stuck in there with Katherine.
Katherine was very pleased with herself; she and Stefan talked in their few hours in the tomb, which proved that Katherine loved him even if she was hard on admitting it. After Elena's deal with Elijah, the warlock Jonas broke the spell of the tomb, allowing vampires to come out. Katherine, though, was compelled by Elijah to stay inside. Katherine begged Damon not to kill Elijah, because then she would be stuck in there forever.
However this was later revealed to be a lie, as she knew that killing the Original that compelled her would actually have the opposite effect and she would be free to leave the tomb. Katherine left the tomb and bathed in Damon's shower, asking him if he had a robe when he walked in on her. She further surprised Damon by restating her pledge to help him protect Elena. Katherine subsequently takes up residence with the Salvatore brothers much to the displeasure of Elena.
Katherine repeatedly states that she will help them to deal with Klaus, and engages in research with the brothers. She is staked and nearly killed by Luca Martin when he infiltrates the mansion via astral projection in an attempt to release Elijah, but is rescued by Stefan and Damon, who unwittingly burn Luca to death. As his father strikes out in a rage against Elena, Katherine tricks him into believing that she is her doppelganger and killed him to protect everyone. She also repeatedly flirts with Damon, despite admitting to him that she knew that the dagger would kill the vampire who used it, and, having to make a choice between himself and Stefan, she chose Stefan once more. She tried to evade Klaus with the help of Isobel, but was double-crossed and given into Klaus's custody.
In The Last Dance, Klaus/Alaric compels her to tell him everything she knows and stuff she wouldn't know, he denied her request to be killed because it was an act of "kindness" to kill her so soon after he searched for her for over 500 years and tells her that her death is going to last at least half that long. After their conversation Klaus/Alaric pulls out a pocket knife and compels her to stab herself repeatedly until he returns from laying eyes on his precious doppelganger.
Klaus/Alaric reveals to her that he can only undo the curse because it's the doppelganger birthplace. Katherine then replies that she didn’t know that was a requirement. Klaus/Alaric replies to her saying "how could she have known because she betrayed him and fled England before he could give her the details but he did find her birthplace and slaughtered her family, so their cool".
As Klaus/Alaric is leaving he tells her she can't leave until he tells her to. Later Damon and Andie Star go to Alaric’s apartment to discover Katherine is alive. Damon tells Katherine he has vervain, which won’t undo Klaus/Alaric’s compulsion but it will stop further compulsions. But before he gives it to her, he wants to know why she double-crossed them with Isobel. She didn't think the others could stand a chance against Klaus and she was looking out for herself. Damon gives her the vervain and tells her she owes him and he will collect.
Later that night Katherine was drinking and dancing until Klaus/Alaric returns to the apartment in a bad mood and tells her Alaric's body is no longer useful. Then Katherine asked Klaus/Alaric if he wanted a drink but he declines, Katherine insists that he should have drink. Klaus/Alaric snatches the bottle away from her, throws it against the wall and compels her to sit down and shut up. When Maddox returns with Greta and his casket, she looked at the casket knowing she was about to come face-to-face with the vampire she fears the most. After Maddox and Greta are done taking Klaus out of Alaric's body, the casket is opened and she begins to show fear as the real Klaus walks out.
In The Last Day, Damon goes to Alaric's apartment to collect his debt for giving her vervain. He asks Katherine where Klaus is keeping the werewolf. Katherine is reluctant to help out but reveals that Klaus has captured Caroline and Tyler. She is shocked to learn that Elena has vampire blood in her system and Damon warns her that she would have to compete for Stefan's love with Elena forever. Katherine reveals that Caroline and Tyler are being held in the tomb. Klaus returns to Alaric's apartment and is immediately suspicious of Katherine.
He compels her to tell him what she has been doing but, as she is taking vervain, she is able to lie. He is still suspicious and compels her to take off her bracelet, walk to the window and stand in the sunlight. Katherine has to do it and screams. Eventually Klaus believes she is still compelled and says she needs to do something for him. Later that night Klaus returns to Alaric's apartment and tells Katherine that Elena is with Greta, Damon appears and tells Klaus he has to postpone the ritual, explaining that he rescued the werewolf and vampire and killed Maddox. Klaus then tells Katherine to leave the room so he and Damon can talk. After Klaus knockouts Damon, Katherine wakes him up and tells him that Klaus has gone to begin the ritual. She admits that she had to do something so Klaus wouldn't realize she was on vervain, and reveals that Klaus made her call to lure someone, explaining that he needed another vampire.
Damon asks why Klaus didn't use him as the vampire. Katherine admits that Klaus couldn't because Damon was as good as dead. She suddenly notices a mark on Damon's arm and asks what it is and he replies "werewolf bite."
In The Sun Also Rises, Damon shows Katherine his werewolf bite but decides to leave. She is hurt that after 145 years he is leaving without saying goodbye and tells him not to depart on bad terms. She insists that she didn't have a choice and had to lure Jenna for Klaus, adding that she chose her life over Jenna's.
Damon points out that Katherine will survive this without a scratch. Katherine points out that she doesn't let love get in the way and Damon tells her to enjoy an eternity alone. He leaves to offer himself to Klaus, but Katherine insists that Klaus won't accept him as his blood is impure.
In As I Lay Dying, Damon has a flashback and remembers speaking to Katherine in the 1860s. She asks if he will miss her while he is off fighting and he says he will, but points out that she will still have Stefan.
Katherine asks if it is so wrong for her to want them both. However, Damon hallucinates that Elena has joined them. Elena tells him that Katherine was just toying with him and he could have walked away - he had a choice. Klaus says that's the kind of vampire he could make a deal with. He calls Katherine over and bites her, shocking her as she realizes she now has a werewolf bite. He then feeds her his blood and she heals so that Stefan realizes that Klaus' blood is the cure. Meanwhile, Damon arrives at the screening and hallucinates, thinking he is seeing Katherine.
Elena runs through the screening looking for Damon. She finds him and drags him away, but as she does Damon gets confused, mixing the present with the past, thinking he is chasing Katherine through some woods. He remembers begging Katherine to feed him her blood so they could be together forever. Back in the present, he tries to bite Elena as she begs him to stop, explaining that he is hurting her. Klaus calls over Katherine and compels her to take his blood to Damon and come right back - but she is still on vervain. Katherine rushes off as Stefan worries that she will never deliver the cure to Damon.
Katherine appears and says he should be thanking her as she brought the cure. She says she decided to deliver it because she owed Damon. Elena asks about Stefan, but Katherine asks if she really cares. Eventually, she reveals that Stefan is paying for the cure. She explains that he gave himself over to Klaus and sacrificed everything - including Elena - to save Damon. However, she tells Elena that at least she will have Damon to keep her company. "It's OK to love them both," she adds. "I did." She throws the cure at Elena and walks away. When Stefan confirms that Katherine got to Damon in time he tells Klaus that she escaped, but Klaus reveals that he knew she was on vervain and that she won't get far.
Season ThreeKatherine made her first appearance in the season in The End of the Affair, where she calls Damon and gives him information on Stefan's whereabouts. She is later shown to be in Chicago.
In Disturbing Behavior, Katherine is shown to still be in Chicago, there to try and help Stefan, but he declines her invitation and doesn't take her warnings to mind. She later saves him from Gloria's torture by stabbing her in the neck, and asks to be a part of Stefan's plans, where he yet again refuses her.
Towards the end of the episode, Katherine fooled Bonnie, and manages to steal Esther's Talisman, showing up at Damon's house seconds later with the pendant, proposing they should team up and get away from Mystic Falls and go on a little "road trip".
In The Reckoning, after they stopped the car, she reveals to Damon that she has kidnapped Jeremy. She needs the help of Jeremy to contact Anna because he is able to communicate with ghosts and she is the only one who knows anything about Mikael, a vampire who hunts vampires and the only one who can kill Klausfor good, who is now locked in a tomb by a witch since the 1990s. Anna reluctantly gives them information about him, stating that Mikael will kill all of them if awakened.
Katherine ignores her warning, and is able to locate his tomb with Jeremy's help. Katherine spent two days unsuccessfully trying to get Mikael to feed, and finally brings him a human, which he refuses and pleads for her to remove the blood-dripping body from him. As he continues to grumpily lie in his coffin, barely awake, she begins to doubt all of his power, and asks whether he can kill Klaus or not, which Mikael confirms, stating that he has denied himself human blood, and proceeds to feed on Katherine when she removed his bindings.
In Homecoming, Damon enlists Katherine in a plan to kill Klaus. She pretends to be Elena so that Elena wouldn't be killed if Mikael used her to bait Klaus. However, during the party, Klaus, thinking that she was Elena, revealed that in the event that Klaus is killed, the other Hybrids will kill Damon. Katherine then runs back to the Salvatore house and tells Stefan this. She tries to convince him to care enough to stop Damon from killing Klaus, because she is going back to see the plan through. She then returns to the party. Mikael uses the fact that the hybrids are part vampire to compel one of them to grab her, threatening to kill her if Klaus does not leave the Lockwood house.
Klaus, believing that he is bluffing, says go ahead. Mikael then stabs Katherine right as Damon jumps Klaus. Much to the shock of Klaus and Mikael, Katherine stands up, and throws wolfsbane (and possibly vervain) grenades at the approaching hybrids. After Stefan stopped Damon, he and she left Mystic Falls. She calls Damon and says that it was a really well thought out plans, and her regret that it didn't work out the way everyone hoped. Stefan asks why Katherine, who wanted Klaus dead for 500 years, would stop a plan to kill him just to save Damon.
Katherine then states that humanity is the greatest weakness of the vampires, and no matter how hard one tries to shove it down, it fights back, and sometimes she lets it. She states that, despite everyone thinking that she only cares for herself, she does love Stefan and Damon too, Stefan states that he doesn't want his humanity after everything he has done. Katherine says that he has to, because she needs him to feel, specifically, feel angry at Klaus for everything he has done. She convinces him to steal the coffins that the originals were kept in, greatly angering Klaus, then puts about a million miles between her and Klaus. Her current whereabouts are unknown.
- Emily Bennett - She was Katherine's handmaiden in 1864 as well as a powerful Witch . Katherine betrayed her when she told the people in town that Emily was a witch.
- Henry - He was a vampire who helped Katherine to investigate the werewolves attacks within the town of Mystic Falls back in 1864. Henry was staked and killed by Alaric Saltzman in the 21st century.
- George Lockwood - George was a Werewolf, who was the co-conspirator in her faked death. She and George made a deal in which George had to keep quiet about her escape in exchange for giving George the Moonstone .
- Jimmy - He was a friend of Mason. Katherine used her power of mind control on Jimmy and compelled him to attack Mason, thinking that Mason slept with Jimmy's girlfriend Marla. Mason accidentally killed him, which triggered the curse.
- Mason Lockwood - Mason was a Werewolf and a romantic partner of Katherine's in the 21st century and whom Katherine used in order to obtain the Moonstone. Mason was killed by Damon.
- Isobel Flemming - Isobel is Elena's biological mother and a descendant of Katherine's. She helped Katherine in her plan to destroy the vampires from the tomb and seek information about The Originals. Katherine also helped her obtain a Lapis Lazuli necklace to aid her in walking in daylight.
- John Gilbert - Not directly. Isobel asked John to get a device that was taken from Johnathan Gilbert in 1864. John fails to get the device, so Isobel gets it herself by trading Jeremy for it, whom she kidnapped. She then gives it to John, who uses it to destroy the vampires that came out of The Tomb, because Katherine wants them destroyed.
- Jenna Sommers - Katherine used her mental control over her to spy on Elena and Stefan. After Katherine learns of the death of Mason, she orders Jenna to commit suicide but she is saved and no longer controlled.
- Caroline Forbes - Unwillingly, she is threatened by Katherine, who made Caroline do things against her will. Katherine ordered Caroline to keep Elena away from Stefan and occupy her, so that Katherine could spend time with him. However, as of now, Katherine poses no threat to Caroline, since she was locked in the tomb by Damon.
- Matt Donovan - After discovering Mason's death, Katherine uses her power of mind control on Matt, to attack Tyler, making the two fight. Tyler's werewolf curse will be triggered and she can use him along with Bonnie, Caroline and Elena to hand over to Klaus for her freedom.
- Sarah - Katherine uses her mind control over Sarah to attack Tyler if Matt fails and when Caroline breaks up Matt and Tyler's fight, Sarah attacks Tyler and he accidentally kills her, triggering the werewolf curse.
- Main article: Katherine Pierce/Appearance
Katherine has almond-shaped, deep brown eyes with thick dark lashes, similar to Elena's eyes, although Katherine's eyes seem to be darker in color, and having a "smokey" and "shadowy" appearance. Katherine also wears heavier make up while Elena's is more casual. Katherine's overall appearance is described as sexy and seductive, while Elena's overall appearance is sweet, casual and sporty. Katherine's sense of fashion is more chic and mature than Elena's.
She seems to favor clothes which are black in color and is often seen wearing tight leather pants and spike heels. Elena, on the other hand, favors jeans and T-shirts and frequently wears Converse sneakers.
Powers and Abilities
Some of these powers are more potent when the vampire gets older and feeds on human blood.
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful then werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short distances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Emotional Control - The supernatural ability to control and manipulate the emotions of one's self.
- Heightened Senses - They can hear whispered conversations, even ones in far off buildings, smell blood, and see in total darkness.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection. The only known disease or infection that can kill a vampire is a werewolf bite.
- Healing Factor - Vampires can snap their finger bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.
- Lapis Lazuli - She possess a Lapis Lazuli necklace that she later turned into a bracelet that enables her to walk in daylight without being harmed.
- Vervain - When ingested, vervain causes a vampire to become severely weak and feverish. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them.if a vampire drinks vervain on a regular basis they cannot be hurt by it.
- Wood- If a vampire is wounded by wood it will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in death.
- Fire or Sunlight - Any exposure to fire or sunlight will result in death to a vampire.
- Heart Extraction - The act of removing a vampire's heart will result in death.
- Werewolf Bite - The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to normal vampires.
- Magic - Witches are able to give supernatural aneurysms that cause the blood vessels of vampires to explode.
- Decapitation - The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in death.
- Uninvited Invitation - Vampires cannot enter a house without being invited in. If they are in the house without being invited in they will become disoriented.
- Vampire bloodline - Vampires who were turned by an original who turned others will die if the original is staked by the white oak stake.
Attitude toward humans
In 1864, she stopped and fed on the passengers of a coach showing Damon, before he was fully turned into a vampire, how it is done, taking sadistic pleasure over the coachman being so concerned about the safety of a lone lady on the road at night. She wickedly smiled at him, thanked him for his concern and then fed on him, clearly showing that all humans were to her, was food and amusement at that time. However, it is known that even then she could find humans as potential mates. It is a fact that she had a sexual relationship with both Salvatore brothers and eventually turned them both and saying to Stefan that she loved him as she was being carted away to be presumably entombed in the Church.
This is likely an exception since she hasn't shown any concern for human life even of the opposite sex presently. In this century, she used Isobel Saltzman as an agent in her plan to destroy the tomb vampires in Mystic Falls most likely knowing full well Isobel's cold disregard for human life and her willing to use them to murderous ends. She was first seen in the 21st century when she kissed Damon while dressed as Elena Gilbert, letting him think she was Elena. She also let John Gilbert think she was Elena as well until she hacked off his fingers and stabbed him with the intent to kill him. She was interrupted by Elena entering the house and finding him. As seen in The House Guest, she is drinking human blood from a hospital blood pack without killing humans.As Elena called 911, Katherine reappeared behind Elena unseen by Elena despite John's gasped warning. She didn't kill Elena or reveal herself to her but toyed with her using her super speed. However her attitudes toward humans haven't changed. As a bait to create a crisis between the Salvatore brothers and herself after Stefan rejected her, she deliberately smothered Caroline Forbes in her hospital room, a human that did her absolutely no harm, knowing that she had Damon's blood in her system.
However, while she has no regard for human life she doesn't care for her fellow vampires either. She admitted to Stefan Salvatore that she betrayed the Mystic Fall vampires in 1864 by making a deal with George Lockwood, the son of the mayor of the time and a werewolf, ostensibly the vampire's mortal enemies. In exchange for covering up his own attacks on humans, Katherine allows him to blow the whistle on the town vampires so he can increase his standing in the Mystic Falls founding families and in his personal family. She did this so she could be rid of her personal enemies among the vampires and fake her own death. It was him who arranged to have Katherine escape the tomb in exchange for the Moonstone, which at the time Katherine had in her possession. This shows a ruthlessness that demonstrates she is out solely for herself, despite the fact that she cares about Stefan.
Katherine's ruthlessness and indifference to others is likely due to the fact that her family disowned her for having an illegitimate child (at the age of 15), and later on were murdered by Klaus. Her daughter is the only person Katherine has been shown to truly love at a significant degree, even though she still had at least some feelings for her family, and she was carried away only seconds after Katherine gave birth to her. Even when she first met Klaus and Elijah, she still believed in love, and even had a short moment when she bonded with Elijah, due to Klaus being elsewhere and told him "if we cease to believe in love, why would we want to live?"
Later on, her entire family was brutally slaughtered by Klaus as revenge for her having eluded him. Both events left her completely devastated, contributing to her reasons for turning off her emotions. Also the fact that Klaus wanted to use her as a sacrifice for breaking The Sun and the Moon curse didn't help matters, making her all the more bitter and distrustful. She is an example of a tragic villain, which is a character who, although acting for primarily "evil" or selfish goals, is either not in full control of their actions or emotions and the reader or viewer can sympathize for due to them not being evil by choice; but rather by them being a victim of circumstance.
Stefan thinks Katherine is very beautiful, when she first arrives to Mystic Falls, even though he is supposed to be engaged to Rosalyn Cartwright. She and Stefan kissed in the library at the Veritas Estates for the first time. She stays in the carriage house with Emily and she killed Rosalyn out of jealousy. She acts as innocent to avoid being uncovered as a vampire. Katherine was with Damon before Stefan and compelled him to take her secret better. Stefan believed her to have died. He tells Damon that he is wasting away Katherine's gift.
- The origin of this name is unclear. It appears to come from the Greek Αικατερινη, , meaning "each of the two". Or maybe from καθαρος (katharos) meaning pure. There are several famous bearers of this name, including Catherine de Medici and Catherine the Great from Russia.
- Katherine, Isobel, Rose and Klaus are the only characters so far to have an episode named after them.
- Nina Dobrev, the actress who plays Katherine Pierce, was born in Bulgaria and speaks Bulgarian. This being the reason Katherine was changed from German to Bulgarian.
- Katherine had a daughter at the young age of 15, and was turned into a vampire at age 17 in the year 1492.
- In the books, Katherine von Swartzschild was a German girl who was a vampire of great beauty and kindness, but at the same time, immature, manipulative and selfish. While in the TV series, Katherine Pierce was Katerina Petrova, a Bulgarian girl who was also of great beauty and kindness, but also self-centered and ruthless after she became a vampire. Katherine Pierce and Katherine Von Swartzschild are both selfish, vain, sadistic and manipulative. Both Katherine's from the TV series and the novels had faked their deaths.
- Katherine has been mistaken as Elena by Jenna Sommers on many occasions which resulted in her inviting Katherine into the Gilberts home and been lured into a trap after receiving a frantic call from Elena.
- Rose was the vampire responsible for turning Katherine on the TV series. However, Klaus was the one who turned Katherine into a vampire in the novels, completely changing the back stories of Katherine and Klaus for the series. Klaus felt emotion for Katherine, so he wanted to avenge her death in the novels.
- Katherine was a "birthday gift" from Trevor to Klaus in 1492.
- In the TV series, Katherine is much older than in the books. In the books, Katherine was born in 1614 and turned in 1631, whereas in the TV series, she was born in 1475 and turned in 1492.
- Katherine is German in the books but she is Bulgarian in the TV series.
- Katherine's life is seriously affected by Klaus in books and series. In the books, Katherine Von Swartzschild becomes insane, paranoid, unstable, selfish, cruel, and sadistic because of Klaus's influence for centuries. In the series, Katherine Pierce becomes selfish, cruel, manipulative, and sadistic, because her child was taken away from her against her will, and her family was slaughtered by Klaus.
- When coming into Mystic Falls, Katherine states that she is an orphan who lost her family in a fire (Katherine probably burned her house with her family after they were murdered by Klaus out of respect for them).
- Katherine uses Mind Compulsion on Jimmy, Matt and Sarah to activate the werewolf curses in first Mason Lockwood and then Tyler Lockwood.
- The difference in physical appearance of Katherine and Elena is the hair. Katherine has curly hair and Elena has straight hair. The other distinction is their sense of fashion. Elena is more casual and conservative in her dress but Katherine is more sensual and attractive.
- Katherine wore a cameo lapis lazuli necklace up until the 20's at least. This necklace is seen in all 1864 flashbacks and in the flash back to the 1920's. After this she is wearing a different necklace, which she later turns into a bracelet.
- Many people have fallen in love or felt attraction towards Katherine. Vampires and people like Stefan, Damon, Mason, Trevor and Elijah have been in love with her. It is said by Klaus that a vampires greatest weakness is love.
- Katherine is the first vampire shown to be fed on by another vampire: Mikael.
- Katherine's parents are the first victims of Klaus to be seen in the TV series.
- On both the show and the book, Katherine faked her death.
- Despite claiming to know all about The Originals in The House Guest, she did not know that Klaus was a hybrid, that the dagger and white oak ash would not work on him, or that the curse was fake, until after The Sun Also Rises.
- She has been absent from Mystic Falls since Homecoming. Her current whereabouts are unknown.
- Katerina Petrova is Bulgarian but her name and surnames origin is Russia.
- She, Damon, Stefan and Caroline were all bitten by neither a Werewolf or a Hybrid but were all healed by Klaus' blood.
- Katherine still has feelings, but decides not to show them.
- During her appearance as main character during season 2 Katherine not apepar in several episodes
"Hello John. Goodbye John - Founder's Day
(To Stefan) "You hate me huh? That sounds like the beginning of a love story Stefan, not the end of one." - The Return
(To Stefan) "I Love You Stefan, we will be together again, I promise...." - Memory Lane
(To Elena) "Did you enjoy your little rendezvous with Stefan this morning? I will always know, Elena. I will always be one step ahead of you. When are you gonna figure that out? Do you know how easy it was to get inside of your house? To replace Aunt Jenna vervain perfume to convince her to stop drinking her special tea?" - Plan B
(To Lucy) "I'm impersonating my dullest dishwater doppelgänger Elena. She has the worst taste." - Masquerade (To Stefan killing Aimee) "Paralyzed from the waist down, and dead." -Masquerade
(To Stefan) "My freedom?... That’s where you’re wrong, Stefan. I don’t want my freedom because when Klaus shows up to kill us all and he will, I’ll be in the tomb, where no vampire will enter because they can’t get out. I’ll be the safest psychotic bitch in town." - Katerina
(To Elena) "Better you die than I." - Katerina
(To Elena) "It's okay to love them both. I did." - As I Lay Dying
(To Mikael) "A Little blood will grease those muscles up real quick, just saying" - Smells Like Teen Spirit
(To Klaus' Hybrids) "Kaboom"- Homecoming
(To Stefan) "I loνed γοu. I loνed Dαmon, too." - Homecoming
(To Stefan) "Humanity is a vampire's greatest weakness. No matter how easy it is to turn it off, it just keeps trying to fight its way back in." - Homecoming