|This article is about Katherine from the TV Series. You may be looking for Katherine von Swartzschild from the novels.|
|“||Sorry I had to kill your boyfriend but it was the motherly thing to do. Suicide, however... Not very motherly of me. I ran from my enemies for 500 years. And then, one day I stopped. Now a new enemy wants me dead. Sure, I could run from The Travellers, but there's still one enemy that I can never escape... time. So call it pride or vanity but after the life I've led, I refuse to drift off into the sunset. Goodbye, Nadia.||”|
Katerina Petrova (also known as Katherine Pierce) is one of the main characters of The Vampire Diaries. She was the main antagonist of Season One (through John Gilbert's and Isobel's actions, as both were working for her), and one of the antagonists of Season Two. She was also a recurring character in the third and fourth seasons. She has a main role in Season Five.
After giving birth to a baby girl out of wedlock around age 16, and being forced to give the baby up for adoption, she was disowned. She was exiled to England, where she quickly assimilated into her new culture and met two nobleman brothers, Niklaus Mikaelson and Elijah Mikaelson. At first, she was attracted to the two brothers. However, she later learned that she was a Petrova Doppelgänger, and that Klaus was planning on using her as a sacrifice in order to break the curse that bound his werewolf side. She sabotaged his plan by running away with the moonstone, which bound the curse, and then tricked Rose into feeding her her blood so she could turn herself into a vampire. Because Katherine was no longer human, she was no longer a candidate to break the curse. Klaus was so infuriated with Katherine's sabotage, that she was forced to live on the run for over 500 years as he hunted her down.
Her activities during her first centuries as a vampire are unknown, but at some point between the 15th and 19th centuries, she took on the alias Katherine Pierce (which is an anglicized version of her birth name), and eventually met and befriended Pearl, Anna, and Emily Bennett. In the late 19th century, she traveled to Mystic Falls, where she met Stefan and Damon Salvatore while they hosted her at the Salvatore Estate. She later fell in love with both brothers, and subsequently turned them both into vampires. When the Town Council found out the identities of the vampires in town, she faked her death and escaped being sealed in the tomb, with the aid of George Lockwood, who helped her in exchange for the moonstone.
During the 20th century, she continued to keep tabs on Stefan, while still hiding from Klaus. In 2010, she came back to Mystic Falls with the intention of finally earning her freedom from Klaus by handing over the Petrova doppelgänger who came after her, Elena Gilbert. To achieve that end, she turned Caroline Forbes into a vampire and manipulated Mason and Tyler Lockwood into triggering their werewolf curses, just so they could also be sacrificed in the ritual. She fled Mystic Falls again shortly after Klaus broke his hybrid curse.
After failing to induce Klaus' forgiveness by securing the cure and handing it over to Elijah, Katherine managed to draw Klaus away from Mystic Falls by revealing to him in a letter that a witch in New Orleans named Jane-Anne Deveraux was plotting against him. Now that he has moved to New Orleans to investigate her claim, she has officially returned to Mystic Falls.
She goes on the run for the summer, but when she realized how dangerous it was for her to be human, with all of the supernatural enemies she had made over the centuries, she returned to Mystic Falls. She hoped to seek the Stefan and Damon's protection, but she was forced to flee again when Silas came looking for her at the Salvatore Boarding House and tried to kill her. Silas revealed to Damon that Katherine's blood became the cure after she had ingested it, which is why he tried to kill her and he wanted to cure himself. She ran from him for weeks, but eventually, Damon helped Silas lure Katherine to the house and fed him her blood, which turned him back into a witch. Though Silas drinking all of her blood should have killed her, Katherine managed to live through it. She learned shortly afterward that taking the cure has caused her body to start rapidly aging in order to compensate for the 500+ years she has been alive and will die within a few months.
Katherine's notable ancestors include Amara, who was Silas' true love and presumably the world's first immortal woman, and Tatia, whose blood was involved in the creation of the spell of immortality that was cast on the Mikaelson Family and the curse that bound Klaus' werewolf side. She is also the maternal ancestor of Isobel Flemming and Isobel's biological daughter, Elena Gilbert. She was once the romantic interest of Stefan and Damon Salvatore, as well as Mason Lockwood. Since the late 15th century, she has also been the romantic interest of Elijah, with whom she was involved, until he effectively ended their relationship by leaving to join his half-brother Klaus in New Orleans.
Katerina is a member of the Petrova Family.
Katerina Petrova (Cyrillic Катерина Петрова) was born into a wealthy Bulgarian family on June 5th 1473. In 1490, when she was about 16 or 17 years of age, Katerina became pregnant by an unknown man, and her family disowned her for the shameful birth of an illegitimate daughter. She carried the child to term, but seconds after her daughter's birth, Katerina's father took the child away, claiming it would be better for both of them to never see one another. Katerina was devastated by this and was banished to England, where she quickly adjusted by becoming English. In 1492, she met Trevor, who introduced her to Lord Elijah, who in turn introduced her to his younger brother, Lord Niklaus. Katerina was attracted to Klaus, until she found out what he was, and that he was planning on using her as a sacrifice to break the The Hybrid Curse placed on him. She escaped with the help of Trevor, who had fallen in love with her. He led her pursuers astray and told her to go east, to a cottage in the woods where she would be safe. When she arrived at a cottage, Katerina met a vampire named Rose.
When Rose found out that Katerina had escaped from Klaus with the moonstone, she locked her in a room and told her that she would take her to Klaus as soon as the opportunity arose. Katerina tried to commit suicide by stabbing herself with a knife, saying she would rather die than go back to Klaus, but Rose force-fed her some of her blood to heal her. When Rose turned her back to confront Trevor, Katerina hung herself with a length of rope. Later, when Katerina woke up in transition, Trevor asked why she did it and claimed he would have helped her live. Katerina responds by saying that he would have been able to help her run and that running was never going to be enough. Rose then explains to Trevor that Katerina used him to escape and, knowing Klaus would find out their role in the escape, Rose attempted to kill Katerina with a stake. Katerina used the owner of the cabin as a shield, which resulted in her death. Katerina then gave in to her instincts and drained the little old lady, completing her transition into a vampire. She then threw the body towards Rose and Trevor and fled into the night. Katerina returned to Bulgaria in the latter months of 1492 to find her entire family brutally slaughtered by Klaus. She knew he had done it as revenge for her escape and subsequent transition. She was last seen weeping over her mother's dead body.
1498 - 1864
Sometime during 1498, Katherine returned to Bulgaria after escaping from Klaus. Katherine searched every village and cottage for her daughter, Nadia Petrova, who was eight at the time, but had no luck in finding her.
372 years had passed when in 1864 Katerina arrived in Mystic Falls, Virginia, by which time she had taken the name Katherine Pierce, presumably to avoid detection by Klaus. At some point she had become friends with Pearl and her daughter, Anna, and she saved the life of the witch Emily Bennett, putting Emily in her debt. Emily forged her a special piece of jewelry with the stone Lapis Lazuli which allowed her to walk in the sun without being burned. She was taken in by one of the town's founders, Giuseppe Salvatore, having spun a story about being orphaned by a fire that killed her family. Katherine met and fell in love with his son Stefan Salvatore, though she quickly began a physical relationship with Stefan's older brother, Damon, as well. Katherine created quite a few vampires while living in Mystic Falls, which inevitably alerted the Founding Families to their existence. Pearl warned Katherine that the town knew about the vampires after discovering an elixir containing vervain, which Honoria Fell had asked to be sold at the apothecary. Pearl tried to convince her to leave, but Katherine refused, claiming she had a plan in motion. Her plan, it turned out, was to turn Stefan and Damon into vampires, having seduced them both during her stay at the Salvatore household.
Realizing how quickly the Founder's Council would take action against the vampires, Katherine struck a deal with George Lockwood: she would give him the moonstone if he would help her fake her death. Eventually, Stefan unwittingly suggested to his father that he knew a vampire, and Giuseppe guessed Katherine's true identity. Giuseppe spiked Stefan's drink with vervain and, later that same night, Katherine bit him. She was incapacitated by the vervain in his bloodstream, and, hearing the commotion, Giuseppe burst in to take her away. Damon later went to rescue her, and Stefan, upset that he had hurt his brother and jeopardized Katherine's life, helped him in the effort. They were both killed trying to save her, shot by their own father, Giuseppe, who was ashamed his sons had succumbed to the wiles of a demon.
Katherine and the other vampires were taken to Fell's Church to be destroyed, but George helped Katherine escape. She gave George the moonstone, but instead of leaving right away, she turned to see Damon and Stefan's bodies lying in the road. She ran to Stefan, kissed him, and promised they would be together again someday. After transitioning into a vampire, Damon was told by Emily that Katherine was trapped in the tomb beneath the church, and as a result, the older Salvatore never stopped loving Katherine as he awaited the day he would be able to rescue her. In reality, Katherine was still lying low to evade Klaus, and she kept a close eye on the younger Salvatore brother, pointing out that she had seen him in the front row of a concert in the 1980s to prove that she'd always been watching over him.
1920's - 1970
In the 1920s, Katherine was in Chicago at the same time as Stefan, but she only observed him from afar. After a police raid cleared out the speakeasy, Katherine spotted Rebekah's necklace on the ground. She moved to pick it up, but ran away before Stefan could see or notice her. She watched him for a few moments before slipping into the shadows.
During the 1970s, Katherine employed the talents of the vampire Will, who owned the music club and bar, Billy's, and ran an identity theft ring that secured new identities for vampires. Damon, who was friends with Will and helped him by killing people to steal their ID cards, unwittingly helped Katherine in her mission to remain undetected.
I Know What You Did Last Summer, Katherine is first seen upon a street in Mystic Falls, paranoid and disheveled. She goes to the Salvatore house for help and she talks with Damon. She begs him for protection now that she is human, weak, slow and unable to protect herself against her numerous enemies, to which Damon reluctantly agrees.
Whilst she is taking a bath in Damon's tub, Silas imitating Stefan shows up suddenly, they flirt and when they are about to kiss Silas grabs her neck, attempting to drown her and she grabs a razor and cuts his face before running downstairs. Damon stops her, throws her to Jeremy and tells him to take her far away, however not to tell him where he is going. Damon stays in the house with Silas, and Silas reveals the whole truth about Stefan suffering "like he has". Silas asks him to return Katherine for his brother, Damon makes up his mind and immediately calls Jeremy and tells him to return to the house. As soon as Jeremy turns around, Katherine knows what is happening, demands Jeremy to stop the car however when he tells her to shut up, she tries to escape causing an accident where she and Jeremy are seriously injured by crashing into a post. She limps from the car, spotting a barely conscious Jeremy who asks for her help, she ignores him and hobbles away, leaving him dying in the middle of the road.In True Lies, after leaving Jeremy to die, Katherine flees into the woods. The morning after, she's leaving the woods getting sick. Katherine arrives to the road where she stops a car. Katherine thanks the woman for stopping and the woman tells her she looks just like Elena, but Katherine insists she's much prettier than Elena. The woman maces Katherine, as Katherine shrieks in pain, the woman pulls out her phone to text Silas, Katherine angrily tackles the woman, smashes her phone, and knocks out the woman, in which Katherine shrieks again in pain from punching the woman, since she's used to having her super strength and not feeling pain. A gun loading is heard behind Katherine and she looks over to Matt, who tells her it looked like it hurt, but his gun will be more effective. Matt and Jeremy take Katherine and keep her out of sight since Silas has the whole town hunting her. They give her some clothes since she was in a robe and Matt begins to tie her up. Katherine compliments Matt on his eyes, telling him they made her soft and that she should have ripped his head off when she had the chance.
She asks them if the rope is really necessary and Jeremy reminds her that she almost got the two of them killed and left him to die. Katherine says she was doing what she always does, anything to survive. She also tells them she's been through this a thousand times, she's the leverage, the one thing everyone wants, she says she's now like the moonstone, as Matt settles her in the truck. Later, they stop at the gas station where Katherine says she needs to get out the car, but Jeremy tells her no. Katherine then complains that she needs to go to the bathroom and should go like a lady. Jeremy unties her and tells her to hurry, Katherine tells him that she's getting sick and is coughing up green stuff and tells him to get her something for it, Jeremy tells her he can't so she begs Matt to. As Matt gets medicine for her and Jeremy gets gas for the truck, Katherine goes to the bathroom and sees an opportunity to run. When the clerk in the store sees Katherine, he begins to call Silas as Katherine runs off. Jeremy catches her and tells her to stop running and takes her back to the truck. After Silas stabs Jeremy (by stabbing himself first), Katherine returns and shoots Silas.
In Original Sin, Katherine decides to accompany Damon and Elena in search of Stefan, after having the same dream as Elena with the possible whereabouts of Stefan. She says that Stefan is also important to her and she jokes in all the way to Damon and Elena about their relationship.
When they get to the place where the doppelgängers saw Stefan, Katherine is asleep in the car. Damon and Elena decide to enter and leave her there. After Katherine enters and meets Nadia, Katherine flees until she meets again with Elena in the forest. They have a conversation and Nadia appears, breaks Elena's neck and takes Katherine. When they are about to escape, Silas arrives. Nadia tells him that she isn't going to deliver Katherine. Silas enters in her head and tries to force her to commit suicide, when Nadia is about to do it, Silas falls to the ground in pain and they flee.
Katherine is rummaging in Nadia's when she enters the room. Nadia is conversing with Katherine when Silas calls her and says she must deliver Katherine. Katherine takes the phone asking what he wants with her and Silas replies: "The cure still exists, and I still want it. It's just running through your veins right now. Your blood is the cure, Katherine."In Monster's Ball, Nadia and Katherine are still at the Motel, hiding from Silas when Nadia gets a call from him. He tells her he wants Katherine, but Nadia refuses to give her up. Nadia continues to tease him about his inability to use his powers, and Silas tells her he can track them through cell phone tracking. Nadia quickly hangs up on him and tries to take Katherine away. Katherine asks her why she doesn't just hand her over to Silas so he can just have his "little sip" of her blood. Nadia tells her that Silas needs every last drop of blood in her body, which will kill her.
Later on, Nadia and Katherine are eating lunch at a diner and Nadia tells her that she's been tailing her for 500 years and that she wants answers, and if she gets them, she'll let Katherine go. Katherine agrees and Nadia tells her that in 1864, she heard about the vampire round up in Mystic Falls, when Katherine sold out her other friends. Katherine tells her about the many horrible things she's done and Nadia asks her if she remembers ripping a mother away from her daughter. Katherine doesn't recall this and Nadia tells her that Katherine killed her mother in Paris in 1645, and that she has been spending the last 500 years hunting Katherine down for revenge. Katherine realises that Nadia does not plan on letting her go. Nadia tells her it's time to leave and Katherine seizes the opportunity to grab a nearby cane and stab Nadia with it in the chest before running off.Katherine later finds Nadia in an alleyway, trying to get the cane out of her chest without touching her heart and Nadia asks her why she didn't kill her. Katherine says she knows Nadia's story about her mother was false. Nadia says it was a test and that Katherine failed. She says she wanted to get under Katherine's skin and she succeeded. Katherine asks her what game she is playing and Nadia tells her that Katherine really did kill her mother, but it was not in Paris but in England on April 6, 1492. She says how her mother was exiled by her family two years earlier and how Katherine put her mother in noose and threw her off a chair, the same way Katherine died when she was human. Katherine is confused and Nadia reveals that her name is Nadia Petrova, and that Katherine is her mother. She is the child that was born out of wedlock and was taken away from Katherine by her father when she was human. Katherine is shocked to learn this. Later on, Nadia wakes up to find the cane removed from her chest and looks up to see Katherine, and tells her she is a fool for not running because Silas will find her. Katherine says she isn't worried, she is good at running and that Silas doesn't need her until he figures out how to destroy the other side because if he dies as a witch he will be stuck in "supernatural purgatory".
Katherine says she has had a question bugging her for 500 years. She asks Nadia where she was in 1498. Nadia says she cannot remember because she was only 8 years old, and Katherine tells her that by then she had escaped Klaus and went back to Bulgaria. She tells Nadia she searched every village, every cottage looking for her and she couldn't find her. She says she went back for her, and that it's nice to meet her. Nadia begins crying and smiles before accepting a cup of tea from Katherine.
When Katherine arrives at the Salvatore mansion, lifeless Silas on a couch nearby, she's ecstatic in knowing that she may have toppled the all mighty Silas and escaped death for good. But Damon has other plans. After Katherine unsuccessfully pleads for him to spare her (she doesn't want to die after all), Damon shoves her neck down Silas' throat, draining her of her cure-laced blood. Moments later, Katherine suddenly awakens with her heart still thumping: "Am I in hell?"In Handle with Care, Katherine celebrates the fact that she hasn't died by indulging in food when she notices that her hair is starting to gray. She then dyes her hair and moves into Elena and Caroline's dorm room and pretend to be her but Caroline realizes that she is Katherine then she takes her neck Katherine says that her need a place to live, Caroline at first says no but Katherine tells her that she can help with the Dr. Maxfield and Caroline accepts. Later, the professor Maxfield in his laboratory, is conducting experiments with vampire blood, Caroline appears and Katherine takes the opportunity to inject a substance into his neck, the professor faints in the floor. Caroline and Katherine planned drain the vervain in his system to compel him to tell them everything he know about vampires, Katherine takes over and begins to drain blood from the professor, he tells them that the secret society planned to invite Elena to belong the group but for his suspicions that she was a vampire, they desisted, Katherine then takes the decision to impersonate Elena and Caroline stays with the professor.
She later attends a gathering at Whitmore House posing as Elena to make people believe that Elena is human, she meets to Aaron and begins to ask him questions about the secret society but Aaron seems to have no idea what she's talking about. When they are talking, she loses her tooth while eating the food.
Katherine then suspects that she may be dying and goes to Dr. Maxfield for help. She tells him the truth about that Elena is her doppelganger and tells him that he has to help her to no die .In Death and the Maiden, Katherine is in the laboratory of Dr. Maxfield asking him help prevent her aging but he tells that she were turned into a vampire 500 years ago and now that she is human the time is catching up with her, he says that he can't do anything to stop it and that If it continues at this rate, she have a few months of life, he leaves and Katherine is very frightened by that. Later, Caroline is at Whitmore College and she meets Nadia, they are talking and then comes Katherine, Nadia tries to tell Caroline that Katherine is her mother, but Katherine interrupts her and doesn't permit, Caroline leaves and leave them alone.Nadia wants to know the reason for her abandonment again but Katherine says that she never abandoned her, she say that Nadia was snatched out of her arms at birth because her father thought she was a knocked-up and second of all, that it's been 500 years and that isn't required have to do the whole mother-daughter bonding thing. Caroline interrupts the conversation between Nadia and Katherine and takes to Katherine to the Salvatore mansion, since Qetsiyah need her to perform the spell to the resurrection of Bonnie. Katherine helps with Qetsiyah's spell but exchange for help with the issue of aging, Qetiyah accepts make a spell to stop it but after to resurrect to Bonnie, Katherine is agrees. Katherine, Amara and Elena are ready to perform the spell, they have to give some of their doppelgänger blood for to do the spell, Qetsiyah cut their hands and put their blood in Bonnie's grimoire, when they are about to complete the spell, are interrupted by Silas.
Later, Katherine is trying to stop the blood coming out of her hand and Caroline arrives, Caroline give her blood to Katherine]]When Katherine is trying to clean her blood after being cut by Qetsiyah in his hand,Caroline offers her blood to cure she but Katherine can't drink vampire's blood. After, Katherine finds Qetsiyah alone in the mansion and she says it's time to do the spell, Qetsiyah tells her that she not going to help her and Katherine realizes that Qetsiyah is dying bled, she screams for help but Qetsiyah dies in her arms.Later in the college Caroline is preparing her room for Bonnie too, then Katherine arrives and understands that she has to go. She looks for her bag but not found it, Nadia appears with her bag and tells Katherine that she will travel to Prague and she want that Katherine fence with her, Katherine says that all it is a fantasy, that she would rather rip her own heart out than do more mother-daughter bonding with she. That she is human now, so it wouldn't really be that easy. She says that don't want to know her, Nadia is very sad for that and then Katherine say that she never gonna see her again, Katherine leaves the room.
In Dead Man on Campus, Katherine was the one to help Matt with his problem. She explained him to what Travellers are. They’re a faction of witches that heavily believe in the spirit world. What they did to Matt was attach themselves onto his spirit like a parasite. Lucky for Matt, Katherine also happens to know who else can help him out, her daughter.
Katherine needs Stefan’s help as part of her plan with Matt. After sweet talking and then moving onto guilt tripping, when the first didn’t work, she got him to agree. He should have waited until she told him the whole plan because he sure is shocked to be formally introduced to Nadia of all people.Nadia, Katherine, and Stefan are waiting in one of the store rooms when Matt comes in. Nadia calls forth her boyfriend out of Matt so Katherine can demand answers. Nadia through they’re only mission was to kill Silas when that was just half of what Gregor came to Mystic Falls to do. He was sent to Kill Katherine. She has a dagger they want. It’s one of the few things that can truly kill a spirit user. To test it out in front of companions, Katherine kills him. It seems she never had a liking for Travellers. Why? Well she believes they’re all judgmental hypocrites. She should know, her father was one. Then kills Gregor. Nadia looked slightly upset with her mother.
Katherine hates running. She’s done before and it’s why she left behind a letter for Nadia explaining why she wanted to kill herself. Stefan saw it and saved Katherine from plummeting to death. She told him she was dying of old age, that the cure had somehow sped up the process. He told her this wasn’t the way. Not for the Katherine Pierce. And then he walked away and she smiled.
In The Cell,
The Originals Series
1400's (1st Time Human)
- "I was you before you even existed"
- —Katherine to Elena
Present Time (2nd Time Human)
- "I can't protect myself! I'm weak and I'm slow – do you have any idea what it's like to run in heels? I have blisters, Damon!"
- —Katherine to Damon
When Elena forced the cure down her throat it turned her back into a human. In the season premiere, Katherine has become miserable, looking disheveled, dirty, and utterly sick of being human. She wants to go back to being a vampire although is scared she would die in transition. In True Lies, Katherine is shown with an illness, and she clearly doesn't appreciate being sick for the first time in 500 years, berating herself that she survived childbirth and the death of her family, yet is almost being defeated by a sinus infection. After her time as a vampire, Katherine retained her deceitful and self-centered traits, after being held at gunpoint by Nadia, demanding who is Katherine Pierce, her or Elena, she doesn't waste time in pointing to Elena. However, Nadia quickly sees through the lie, knowing Katherine is a "compulsive liar".
- Main article: Katerina Petrova/Appearance
However, there are subtler differences between the two that only a keener eye can detect. Katherine's eyes seem to be a shade darker than Elena's, having a smoky, shadowy appearance; where Elena's eyes are guileless, Katherine usually seems to be hiding something behind hers. Her mannerisms are more deliberate, almost as though she is performing for her audience - a skill that comes in handy when she wants to borrow the identity of the younger doppelgänger. Even her speaking voice seems harsher, more cutting than Elena's.
Whenever Katherine pretends to be Elena she dresses very similar to Elena's style and straightens her hair. But she also can’t help but still rock some major cleavage.
- " I just keep wanting to believe you, but how can I when, at every turn, you give me reason to doubt you? I don't know you."
- —Elijah to Katherine in American Gothic
- Main article: Elijah and Katherine
The relationship between Katerina Petrova and Elijah Mikaelson, was once sweet and friendly up to the point where Katherine betrayed Elijah for her own freedom and that broke his relationship with his half-brother Klaus. When Elijah found Katherine in the vampire tomb, he compelled her to stay there until he said otherwise. Elijah later revealed that he made Katherine pay for betraying him, by running away from as he was trying to save her life. She later witnessed his brother Klaus daggering Elijah. In American Gothic, it is revealed that Elijah and Katherine have been sleeping together and was in relationship together, as they both have admitted to being in love with each other, although it is questionable whether Katherine's love for Elijah is genuine or just another ploy to get freedom. However in The Originals, Elijah left Katherine behind in Mystic Falls and went to New Orleans after saying and kissing her goodbye, assumingly ending their relationship.
- " What is it about you that makes me still care?"
- —Stefan to Katherine in Memory Lane
- Main article: Stefan and Katherine
Elena tries to kill Katherine in revenge for the death of Jeremy and almost succeeds before Stefan comes and saves her to which Katherine replies "Thanks for the save, handsome". Elena becomes furious and considers the fact that Stefan still may have feelings for Katherine which is why he won't let her die.
- " I didn't have to say anything. Look at you: self-obsessed egomaniac on the run for five centuries. What good would you be to anyone? You're the definition of damaged goods."
- —Elena to Katherine in She's Come Undone
- Main article: Elena and Katherine
- " I thought I'd give it a shot. Truth is, you just don't do it for me anymore."
- —Damon to Katherine in The Reckoning
- Main article: Damon and Katherine
- Emily Bennett - She was Katherine's handmaiden in 1864 as well as a powerful witch. Katherine betrayed her when she told the people in town that Emily was a witch.
- Henry - He was a vampire who helped Katherine to investigate the werewolf attacks within the town of Mystic Falls back in 1864. Henry was staked and killed by Alaric Saltzman in the 21st century.
- George Lockwood - George was a werewolf and the co-conspirator in Katherine's faked death. She and George made a deal in which George helped her escape and told no one of it, in exchange for giving George the moonstone.
- Will - He had a business to get vampires fake identities but due to not being able to walk in the sunlight he had a deal with Damon. He gave her a fake identity back in the 70s.
- Mason Lockwood - Mason was a werewolf and a romantic partner of Katherine's in the 21st century whom she manipulated in order to obtain the moonstone. Mason was killed by Damon.
- Jimmy - He was a friend of Mason Lockwood. Katherine used her power of mind control on Jimmy and compelled him to attack Mason while accusing him of sleeping with his girlfriend, Marla. Mason accidentally killed him, which triggered the curse.
- Isobel Flemming - Isobel is Elena's biological mother and Katherine's descendant. She helped Katherine in her plan to destroy the tomb vampires and seek information about The Originals. Katherine also helped her obtain a Lapis Lazuli necklace to allow her to walk in daylight. Isobel later betrayed Katherine.
- John Gilbert - Not directly. Isobel asked John to get a device that was taken from Johnathan Gilbert in 1864. John fails to get the device, so Isobel gets it herself by trading Jeremy for it, whom she had kidnapped. She then gives it to John, who uses it to destroy the vampires that came out of the tomb. Katherine was the one to instigate the plan to kill the tomb vampires.
- Jenna Sommers - Katherine used mind control on Jenna to spy on Elena and Stefan. After Katherine learns of Mason Lockwood's death, she orders Jenna to commit suicide by stabbing herself, but she survived.
- Caroline Forbes - Katherine turned Caroline into a vampire, and continued to threaten and manipulate her to do her bidding. She ordered Caroline to keep Elena away from Stefan and occupy her for the day so that Katherine could spend time with him.
- Matt Donovan - After learning of Mason's death, Katherine uses her power of compulsion on Matt, ordering him to provoke Tyler Lockwood into killing him, in order to trigger Tyler's werewolf curse. She planned to use him along with Bonnie, Caroline and Elena to hand over to Klaus in exchange for her freedom.
- Sarah - Katherine compelled Sarah to attack Tyler if Matt failed, and when Caroline breaks up Matt and Tyler's fight, Sarah attacks Tyler and he accidentally kills her, triggering the werewolf curse.
Former Vampiric Traits
- Super Strength - Vampires are much stronger than humans and grow stronger with time. Even new vampires who are still in transition can toss a fully grown human across a room with great speed and force. Their strength is also more powerful then werewolves that are not in wolf form.
- Emotional Control - The supernatural ability to control and manipulate the emotions of one's self.
- Dream Manipulation - Vampires can control dreams and subconscious. The vampires can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Heightened Senses - They can hear whispered conversations, even ones in far off buildings, smell blood, and see in total darkness.
- Mind Compulsion - Vampires have the ability to control minds, plague people's dreams, and alter/erase human memories.
- Super Speed - Vampires can accelerate their movements to cover short distances in an instant, faster than the human eye can see. When running across long distances, they appear as vibrating blurs of motion.
- Immortality - A vampire stops aging once turned. Upon their transformation, vampires then on become immune to all conventional illness, disease, virus and infection. The only known disease or infection that can kill a vampire is a werewolf bite.
- Healing Factor - Vampires can snap their finger bones back into place after being broken and have been seen to fully recover from gunshots, stab wounds, and torso impalement.
- Lapis Lazuli - She possess a Lapis Lazuli necklace that she later turned into a bracelet that enables her to walk in daylight without being harmed.
- Vervain Immunity - After drinking Stefan's vervain-laced blood in 1864, Katherine vowed never to be surprised like that again... and so she ingested vervain every day for 145 years, allowing her to build an immunity to its effects.
- Decapitation: The act of dismembering or removing the head of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Fire or Sunlight: The act of exposing a vampire to fire or sunlight will result in permanent death.
- Vervain: The act of exposing or ingesting a vampire with vervain causes a vampire to become severely feverish and weak. Also, If a vampire's skin is exposed to vervain, it can result in burning them. Also vampires can't compel anyone on vervain.
- Heart Extraction: The act of extracting or removing the heart of a vampire will result in permanent death.
- Invitation: Vampires cannot enter a home without an invitation by the owner.
- Magic - Vampires are susceptible to the powers of witchcraft including the creation of harmful magical objects.
- Desiccation - Vampires who abstain from blood for extended amounts of time will eventually desiccate into mummification.
- Vampire Bloodline - If an Original vampire dies, all vampires descended from their bloodline will slowly perish.
- Weapon Wood - The act of wounding a vampire with wood will cause the vampire to become severely weak and if a vampire takes a wooden stake through its heart it will result in permanent death.
- Werewolf Bite - The bite of a werewolf is extremely lethal to vampires. It will cause them to hallucinate, grow severely weak and go rabid until it kills them. Klaus' hybrid blood can cure the bite.
- Broken Neck - Breaking a vampires neck is a common way to subdue one, it will not kill them but it will keep them unconscious for several hours and when they are still unconscious they won't have a pulse and appear to be dead.
- "Humanity is a vampire's greatest weakness. No matter how easy it is to turn it off, it just keeps trying to fight its way back in."
Based on what has been shown in the series, Katherine has no regard for human life. To her, humans are a means to an end, whether as victims to feed on or pawns in a plot for personal gain. The notable exceptions to this general disregard are Stefan and Damon Salvatore.
In 1864, Katherine took sadistic pleasure in demonstrating to a human Damon how a vampire lures in a victim by playing the role of a lost woman in order to stop a coach on a deserted road, anticipating the concern this would draw from its passengers. She fed on and killed her victims without any apparent remorse. In the present day, though she has shown no qualms about harming humans, her violence towards them is usually attended by a vague sense of purpose: she chops off John Gilbert's fingers and stabs him as she infiltrates the Gilbert home; she turns Caroline into a vampire as part of her plan to plead amnesty with Klaus; she maims and kills Aimee Bradley to emphasize how badly she wants the moonstone and compels Matt and Sarah to provoke Tyler into killing them; she knocks out Jeremy to use him to get to Mikael; she kills cemetery visitors in order to feed and awaken Mikael; and she kills various people on the island in order to get to the cure.
The only humans that Katherine, as a vampire, has seemed to not view as mere collateral damage were Damon and Stefan, whom she lived with in 1864. Although her relationships with both brothers seem to have had a certain amount of manipulation and scheming involved, Katherine demonstrated both before and immediately after Stefan's transition-death that she genuinely cared for him. Her relationship with Damon does not appear to have had the same depth of such feelings, but she cared enough about him to want to turn him into a vampire. Still, her behavior around the Salvatores was so wrapped up in whatever her ulterior motives happened to be that it's not always clear where the selfish manipulation ended and the genuine affection began.
Katherine's attitude toward vampires does not diverge far from her attitude toward humans; she merely has to be more clever in how she manipulates them. She was willing to sell out those she considers friends, like Pearl and the other vampires in Mystic Falls at the time. She regards werewolves to be little better than humans: she only deals with George Lockwood in order to procure her escape from Mystic Falls in 1864, and uses Mason and Tyler Lockwood in her plan to strike a deal with Klaus. She deals with witches with a bit more wariness, though her arrogance sometimes gets the better of her. Although she apparently lived with Emily Bennett for years and treated her as a confidante, she betrayed her during her escape from the town. Later, Lucy Bennett helps Katherine to repay a debt, but Katherine underestimates the witch's willingness to turn against her after the debt is paid.Like most vampires in the series, Katherine's attitude towards the lives of others has been significantly influenced by the end of her human life and how her vampirism affected her family. She suffered the heartache of being separated from her illegitimate daughter and disowned by her family, and not long after suffered the despair of finding her entire family dead, brutally murdered by Klaus. Any trace of the human girl who still believed in love seemed to evaporate after this last great loss, though it peeks through occasionally when it comes to Stefan.
Overall, Katherine has no respect for anyone's life but her own, and will not spare a life unless it suits her interests to do so. Although she has risked her life in the past to save Damon and Stefan, doing so was in the context of repaying a debt and killing Klaus, it remains untested whether her affection for the brothers could ever truly transcend her sense of self-preservation.
Katherine's attitude towards humans may change as she is human now. Her interaction with humans will increase now as she is a human.
Based on what has been seen, Katherine doesn't really care about her fellow vampires, and would do anything to get things from them. Katherine has been seen to toy with certain vampires as shown with the Salvatore brothers. Katherine has had relationships with original vampires, and betrayed those as well.
She was hiding a long time because of Klaus, whom she feared for his power. She has always proven to be much stronger than most vampires in the series except for the originals. She also is able to manipulate certain vampires very well.
Now as a human, her personality has not changed much as she was as a vampire. But she has become afraid of them as she has people after her and she is not able to defend or protect herself.
Katherine Von SwartzchildKatherine von Swartzschild (born Katerina von Swartzschild) was a young German girl, who was the daughter of Baron von Swartzschild. She was very sickly, weak, and fragile as a young human girl and during her childhood, and was told by a surgeon that she was going to die. After this news, her maid, Gudren, fetched the village vampire Klaus and asked him to turn her into a vampire. He did so, though Katherine had no say in the matter, and she became a vampire.
Believing she was still sick, her father took her to the Salvatore Boarding House to cheer her up. There she met Stefan Salvatore, the younger human son of Conte di Salvatore, and she fell deeply in love with him. However, she also displayed interest in Stefan's elder human brother, Damon Salvatore.
In The Awakening, she said to both of the brothers that the only way to stay in Salvatore Estate was if she chose which Salvatore to marry. She said that she would tell them which one she had chosen for marriage on Sunday in twilight. Katherine first came to Stefan during the night, presumably during lovemaking and she gave him her blood.
However, Katherine also gave Damon her blood as well. Both brothers were furious when they found out that Katherine had given both of them blood and not just one of them, displaying Katherine's coy, selfish and childish tendencies. Katherine told both of the brothers that she refused to choose between the two of them, leading the rivalry and competition between the brothers to heat up even more intensely.
Katherine believed that if she turned both Stefan and Damon, then she, Stefan and Damon could all live happily ever after together. The brothers refused Katherine's wish and it turned the brothers against each other even more. Katherine became extremely distraught and upset by both Stefan and Damon fighting over her, so Katherine decided to commit "suicide". The next day, Stefan and Damon had found her ashes outside alongside her small lapis lazuli ring, which protected her from the sunlight and her dress, along with a note saying that she was selfish.
Damon and Stefan both blamed each other for her death, and ended up fighting each other to death with swords. Stefan and Damon both ended up stabbing each other, and both died. They woke up in their tombs, with their lapis lazuli rings on, having both been transformed into vampires, bounding the Salvatore brothers to each other for all of eternity.
Stefan describes Katherine as being very beautiful, when she first arrives to Mystic Falls, even though he is supposed to be engaged to Rosalyn Cartwright. She and Stefan kissed in the library at the Veritas Estates for the first time. She stays in the carriage house with Emily and she killed Rosalyn out of jealousy. She acts as innocent to avoid being uncovered as a vampire. Katherine was with Damon before Stefan and compelled him to take her secret better. Stefan believed her to have died. He tells Damon that he is wasting away Katherine's gift.
- Katherine is a feminine first name of uncertain origin. It appears to come from the Greek Αικατερινη meaning "each of the two", or possibly from καθαρος (Katharos) meaning "pure". There are several famous bearers of this name, including Catherine de' Medici and Catherine the Great from Russia. The name is common in English.
- Other spellings and variations of Katherine include Ekaterina, Ekatrinna, Katherin, Katharine, Katharyn, Katharaine, Katharin, Katharyne, Katherin, Katheryn, Katheryne, Katherina, Katherinah, Katherynah, Kathrin, Kathrine, Kathran, Kathreen, Kathren, Kathrene, Kathron, Kathrun, Kathryn, Kathryne, Kathrynn, Kathrynne, Kasen, Kat, Katchen, Karey, Kara, Karen, Kari, Kasia, Katerina, Kathleen, Katrina, Kathy, Kathaan, Kathanne, Kathereen, Katheren, Katherene, Katherenne, Kathyrine, Katlaina, Kataka, Katreeka, Katreen.
- In Slavic-language countries, like Bulgaria, surnames typically take both a masculine and a feminine form. For instance, Katerina Petrova's father would have had the surname Petrov, while she and her mother had the feminine form Petrova.
- Petrov/Petroff (masculine) or Petrova (feminine) is one of the most common surnames in both Russia and Bulgaria. The surname is derived from the first name Pyotr (Пётр, Russian) or Petar (Петър, Bulgarian), both equivalent to the English name Peter. Petrov means "son of Peter" in Russian and Bulgarian.
- Pierce is a medieval form of PETER. This was the name of the main character in the 14th-century poem 'Piers Plowman' by William Langland.
- A Day in the Limelight - has an episode named after her, plus frequent flashbacks into her origins.
- Briarpatching - Katherine uses this technique on Damon when she tells him not to dagger Elijah as she would be stuck in the tomb forever.
- Magnificant Bastard - "Plan B "
- Katherine fits the Light Feminine And Dark Feminine trope, especially with Elena. Elena and Katherine are both doppelgängers who share an uncanny physical appearance. Elena is the Light Feminine (good, immoral) and Katherine is Dark Feminine (bad, moral). Both share a common love and interest in Stefan and are often in competition with each other for his affections.