|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 2, Episode 9|
|Air date||November 11th 2010|
|Written by||Andrew Chambliss|
|Directed by||J. Miller Tobin|
|Episode Guide transcript|
Katerina is the ninth episode of the Second Season and the thirty-first episode in the series.
KATHERINE’S PAST IS REVEALED — Elena puts herself in a dangerous position as she searches for the truth about Katherine’s past and what her own future may hold. Knowing that Stefan would never agree to her plan, Elena swears Caroline to secrecy. Damon uses a new-found confidant to help him try to discover the real purpose and power of the moonstone. Jeremy and Bonnie meet Luka (guest star Bryton James) a new student with a surprising family history.
|:The episode starts and sees: Katerina gives birth to her baby girl. Katerina's mother delivers the baby and announces that the baby is a girl. Katerina asks to hold the baby just once, but Katerina's father takes the baby away leaving Katerina who is in pain and horror, cry out and plead with her father not to take her daughter away. Katerina's mother then tries to comfort Katerina as she sobs. Then back to the present day, while walking towards the school building Bonnie drops her books.
Jeremy helps and then asks her if she wanted to play pool at the grill. Bonnie agrees and then a new guy asks them if they know where the office is. Jeremy introduced Bonnie and himself to the new kid who is named Luka. Jeremy ends up taking Luka up to the office. Meanwhile, Caroline and Elena are walking through the woods and going to Fell's Church to talk to Katherine who resides in the tomb beneath the ruins.
Elena tells Caroline not to tell anyone about her going to the tomb. They go down and Caroline opens up the stone door. They wait as a weak and very pale and weak Katherine appears. Elena tells Caroline to leave and stall Stefan. Elena gets out her equipment, a bottle of blood and the Petrova book. Katherine tries to run to get it, but the spell cast over the tomb stops her from getting out.
Elena makes a deal with Katherine that she will give her blood and the book for information, so, Katherine begins telling her about how she was chased by Klaus and how she was turned into a vampire.Katerina is racing through the woods, clutching the moonstone in her hand. She is being followed by vampires led by Elijah. She stumbles and cuts herself when Trevor arrives and points Elijah and his men in another direction. Trevor then instructs Katerina to go to a cottage were Rose is hiding. Rose allows Katerina in, but when she realizes that Katerina has the moonstone, she locks her away after feeding her blood so she could heal.
Katerina, however, got hold of some rope and when Trevor arrived, he and Rose heard a noise from the room and once they enter, they found out that Katerina had hanged herself. When she aroused, she drank human blood, and Trevor is devastated that she had used him.Meanwhile, Bonnie steps into the grill but she can't find Jeremy. Luka and Jonas (Luka's dad) ask Bonnie if she will join them. Jeremy comes and they start playing pool. Bonnie then finds out that Luka is warlock, the term for a male witch.Meanwhile, Rose and Damon go meet Slater, an old friend of Rose.
Elijah, outside the store throws quarters into the window, that shatters, allowing the sunlight to enter. Everybody in the store screams including Rose, who doesn't have a daylight ring. They escape as Rose heals. Rose cries that Klaus is getting his revenge.Caroline couldn't stall Stefan for long and so, Stefan goes to the tomb and finds Elena waiting for Katherine to reappear. Stefan said that Elena shouldn't have been here and that all the things Katherine said was a lie.
Katherine reappeared and told them that Klaus was going to kill everybody Elena knows, just like he did to her entire family.Back at the Salvatore boarding house, Damon sits at the fire depressed then Rose comes and they make out. Then Rose gets a call from Slater who says she needs a witch to stop the sacrifice of a Petrova doppelgänger. The phone call ends and standing behind Slater was Elijah, who then compels him to stake himself justifying it by saying it was necessary. Jonas then appears saying: "Was it really?"Katherine remains in the tomb reading the Petrova book. She stares down tearfully at a sketch of herself with her parents.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert/Katerina Petrova
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan (credit only)
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (credit only)
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers (credit only)
- Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman (credit only)
- Antagonist: Elijah Mikaelson
- Although credited, Matt, Jenna, Alaric and Tyler did not appear in this episode.
- This is the first episode this season not featuring Tyler. Also, this is the last episode (this season) not to feature Alaric.
- This episode had 3.5 million viewers in USA.
- This is the first episode in the whole series to begin with a different scene during the showing of previous episode events. The others began with Stefan narrating about needing to know Elena; this episode began with Alaric narrating about vampires and werewolves, beginning what was to be a sequence of more episodes.
- It's the third episode to be named after a character, the other two being Rose and Isobel.
- Interestingly all three are women are vampires and were lovers with Damon Salvatore at one point.
- This episode is named after Katherine's real name, Katerina, the same name of the actress Katerina Graham who plays the witch, Bonnie.
- Rose-Marie was the one to turn Katherine into a vampire, unlike the books which was Klaus, changing the storyline of Klaus/Katherine completely from the books.
- In the books, Katherine is German, while in the series, she is Bulgarian, possibly because Nina Dobrev was born there and speaks Bulgarian fluently.
- It is confirmed that Katherine had a baby before becoming a vampire and that baby started the lineage that ends in Elena. This was first theorized by Damon in Bloodlines.
- This episode is the fifth flashback episode and second from Katherine's POV.
- As of this episode Trevor becomes the first character to die in an episode (Rose) and make an appearance after his death.
- First time 2 episodes named after a series characters are in a row: Rose and Katerina.
- (with translation)
- Katerina's mother:
- English: A little more, dearest... a little more. Push... a little more. A little more, a little more. Push!
- It's a girl.
- Bulgarian: Още малко, скъпа... още малко. Напъвай... още малко. Още малко, още малко. Напъвай. Момиче е.
- English: A girl. Please mother... let me see her.
- Bulgarian: Момиче? Моля те, майко... позволи ми да я видя.
- Katerina's father:
- English: Woman, don't! What are you doing?
- Bulgarian: Жено, недей! Какво правиш?
- English: Let me at least hold her once... just once... at least once.
- Bulgarian: Дай ми поне веднъж да я подържа... само веднъж... поне веднъж.
- Katerina's father:
- English: Forget it... You have disgraced this family!
- Bulgarian: Позор....Позор за нашето семейство!
- English: Father, please! No, father... No! No!
- Bulgarian: Татко, моля те! Не, татко, моля те, не. Не!
- Katerina's mother:
- English: No Katerina. It's better for her! It's better for her!
- Bulgarian: Недей, Катерина. Така е по-добре за нея, Катерина. Така е по-добре за нея.
- English: No, mother, please...
- Bulgarian: Моля те, моля те не, мама.
- Katerina's mother:
- English: Let her go... let her go, Katerina.
- Bulgarian: Остави я... остави я, Катерина.
- English: Please, Mama...
- Bulgarian: Мама, моля те.
- Elijah: "I'm a special vampire."
- Katherine: "Better you die than I."
- Rose: "Being in love with your brother's girlfriend must be difficult."
- Damon: "I'm not in love with anyone."
- Rose: "Wanna try that again?"
- Katherine: "Witches and their spells. So many ingredients. So many people to sacrifice."
- Katherine (to Elena): "He killed them. My entire family. Just to get back at me for running. Whatever you do to escape Klaus, he will get his vengeance. Your friends, your family and anyone that you`ve ever loved."
- Elena (To Stefan): "It`s not just me that's in danger. It's Caroline and it's Tyler and it's Bonnie... They're all part of breaking the curse. I can't blame anyone else anymore. Because it's not because you came into town, or because you and I fell in love, that's not why everyone that I love is in danger. It's because of me. Everything is because of me."