Judith Maxwell (née Gilbert), is a character of The Vampire Diaries novel series. She was the aunt of main character Elena Gilbert and her younger sister, Margaret, and sister of their father, Thomas. She stepped in to raise them after her brother and sister-in-law's deaths in a car accident on Wickery Bridge. She was engaged to Robert Maxwell, whom she later married.
Judith is described by Elena as a woman who always looked vaguely flustered. Judith has a thin, mild face and light flyway hair.
Judith was born into the Gilbert family at an unknown time. She had at least one brother: Thomas. She could be strict and anxious sometimes, but was caring and responsible. Judith met a man named Robert Maxwell at some point, and affectionately called him "Bob". He proposed to her, and she accepted his request.
Moving to Fell's Church
After her brother died, Judith arrived in Fell's Church and took full custody of his daughters, Elena and Margaret Gilbert. She attended her brother and sister-in-law's funeral wearing a black dress.
The Original Series
|This article needs your help!|
Judith is only seen at the Graduation Ceremony. Bonnie consoles her over Elena's death.
- Main article: Jenna Sommers
In the TV series, Aunt Judith's character is replaced with the character Jenna Sommers. She is neither married nor engaged. She was Alaric Saltzman's girlfriend and Jeremy and Elena's Aunt, but during the season finale of Season Two, she was turned and killed by Klaus because of the sacrifice which used to unlock Klaus' werewolf side.
- In the 1996 game, Judith Maxwell (known as Jenna Sommers in TV series) appears with Margaret.
- Judith is in several senses the opposite of Jenna Sommers.
- Judith is middle-aged and usually more overprotective. Jenna is young, and is often more aware of the problems of her niece and nephew.
- Judith wanted Damon to be the boyfriend of Elena. Jenna wanted to Stefan to be the boyfriend of Elena.