Elena was born to her parents on June 22, 1992. John and Isobel met during high school and slept together, conceiving their child. At the end of Isobel's pregnancy, John led her to his brother, Grayson Gilbert, who delivered the baby girl he and his wife named Elena. Because they were so young, Elena's parents were forced to give their daughter up, and both teenagers left their daughter with the Gilberts.
The Vampire Diaries SeriesEdit
In Bloodlines, Elena finds out she is adopted and begins her journey to discover her true parentage.
In A Few Good Men, John returns to Mystic Falls to visit his family, but he is not given a warm welcome. At the same time, Elena is trying to find her biological mother and learns that her mother's high school friend Trudie is close by, so she goes to see her. After her visit, Elena hears her mother's voice for the first time on the phone.
- Elena: "Who's my father?"
- 'Isobel: "Not important. He was a teenage waste of space."
- -- Isobel
- Elena: "As my father, it should."
- John: "You know."
- John and Isobel were teenagers when they had Elena.
- John and Isobel both did not approve of Elena's relationships with the Salvatore brothers.
- All three have been dead at some point.
- Elena, unlike her parents, was resurrected but is now comatose as of I'm Thinking Of You All The While.
- Ironically, Elena's greatest love, Damon killed both John and Isobel at some point.
- All three have been antagonists.
- All three were associated with Katherine Pierce, Isobel and Elena being her descendants/occasional allies and John being her minion/ally.
- Elena did not have a good relationship with either of her parents, but she still loved them, as evident by her sadness when they died.
- Elena lost her mother before she lost her father.