|“||Look at them all bromancy.||”|
The relationship between Jeremy Gilbert and Matt Donovan started in early Season One, however, didn't progress until Season Three, when Jeremy started seeing the ghost of Matt's deceased sister and his ex-girlfriend, Vicki Donovan. Their friendship overtime progressed further and in Season Four, they became best friends and their relationship is like brothers.
They are referred to by the fans as "Meremy" or "Jett".
Jeremy and Matt have known each other since childhood because their mothers were best friends, and as Matt and Jeremy's sister Elena dating before season one began.
The two would often talk, mostly because Jeremy was in a relationship with Vicki. However, the two didn't seem really good friends and it seemed like Matt only cared for Jeremy cause he is Elena's younger brother.
Matt was helping Jeremy and Elena when Jenna is brought home from the hospital after she had an "accident" (Katherine compelled Jenna to stab herself to show that they shouldn't cross paths with her).
Season ThreeEditThe two would form a stronger friendship in Season Three, when Jeremy started to work at the Mystic Grill. Both of them used drugs at Elena's 18th birthday party and Jeremy finally tells Matt that he has been seeing Vicki's ghost. The two contact her together. However, Jeremy does not tell Matt what she says. Slowly they grew closer and became really good friends.
Season FourEditJeremy and Matt became closer and turned best friends in season 4, Matt had offered to help out with training Jeremy as he was a member of The Five. Matt also moved into the Gilbert household because Jeremy gained urges to kill Elena as she was a newly turned vampire, Matt and Jeremy also lived together at the Gilbert Family Lake House, this took place for Jeremy to begin training and complete his mark away from Elena and other vampires who were in town.
In Stand By Me, was the last time they saw each other. After returning from the unlocated island Matt discovered that Jeremy had died and his ring would no longer work with him being a supernatural being, Matt returned to the Gilbert home and found Jeremy on his bed, Matt then said his last goodbye to Jeremy and alongside Elena as he grieved for his loss.
- Matt: What'd you just say?
- Jeremy: Nothin'.
- Matt: Did you just say "Vicki", as in my sister Vicki?
- Jeremy: What? No, no. I, uh, I didn't say anything.
- -- The Birthday.
- Jeremy: Personal items, and it works best when a family member tries to make contact.
- Matt: No, no, no, no, no, no. We're... We're not contacting my sister.
- Jeremy: She said, "help me".
- Matt: If you're messing with me, man...
- -- The Hybrid.
- (Matt moves in with Jeremy)
- Matt : I’ll keep an eye on you and we can keep this hunter business in check.
- Jeremy: Go ahead, make a move.
- Matt: I drove up here to be your wingman, not kick your ass.
- They both have killed an Original.
- They both dated each others sisters.