|This article is about Isobel, an episode. You may be looking for Isobel, a character.|
|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 21|
|Air date||May 6th 2010|
|Written by||Caroline Dries & Brian Young|
|Directed by||J. Miller Tobin|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
SummaryISOBEL RETURNS TO MYSTIC FALLS — Isobel returns to town and stuns Alaric with her vampire attitude, and her demands that Alaric arranges a meeting with her daughter Elena. When mother and daughter finally meet, Isobel refuses to answer most of Elena’s questions, but reveals that she will stop at nothing to find the mysterious invention that John Gilbert has been searching for. Isobel’s dangerous actions lead Stefan, Damon and Bonnie to step in and help Elena deal with the situation.
|Isobel surprises Alaric with her new cynical and cruel attitude. She demands he arranges a meeting with Elena; despite her seemingly indifferent attitude towards him, she seems to have some affection.
When the mother and daughter finally meet, Isobel refuses to answer most of Elena's questions, though reveals she is looking for the mysterious invention John Gilbert has been seeking. Isobel shows no form of love towards Elena, seemingly indifferent to her daughter. Learning Damon has the device, she orders Elena to obtain it and threatens to kill everyone Elena knows if she refuses.
It eventually turns out that both John and Isobel are working with Katherine. Isobel reveals this when she tries to intimidate Damon into giving her the device, but he refuses, and in return threatens her. Isobel resorts to kidnapping Jeremy to force Elena's hand, which Damon reluctantly does so. However, Bonnie offers to remove the spell from the device so it will not kill vampires.
Elena gives the device to Isobel, who reveals she knew Damon would give it up because he loves Elena. Throughout the episode, Damon (correctly) theorizes that John is, in fact, Elena's biological father; he and Isobel had dated in high school. Before leaving town, Isobel, who appears to care about Elena after all, expresses to John her fear that Elena will become a vampire because of the Salvatores. Not wanting this for Elena, she asks John to ensure the brothers' die for their daughter's sake.
While at the Grill with Caroline - who is trying to get her to admit what's bothering her - Bonnie reveals to Caroline something only the viewers truly understand: she did not really deactivate the device, due to her vendetta against vampires. She admits to Caroline, however, that Elena may never forgive her if she ever finds out. Anna meets with Jeremy and reveals her mother is dead, and she does not know what to do. Jeremy then hugs and comforts her.
- Antagonists: Isobel Flemming and John Gilbert.
- This episode had about 3.31 million viewers in USA.
- All credited main characters appear in this episode.
- Damon correctly theorizes that John is Elena's biological father.
- Elena learns that Damon is in love with her for the first time from her mother Isobel.
- This is the first episode to be named after a character.
- Gone with the Wind, a 1939 American film based on the novel of the same name, starring Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable.
- How I Met Your Mother, an American sitcom airing on CBS.
- The Call of the Wild, a 1903 novel by American writer Jack London.
- Maury, a syndicated American tabloid talk show hosted by Maury Povich, 1991–present.
- Damon (to Isobel): "Katherine wants something from me? You tell that little bitch to come get it herself."
- Damon (to Isobel): "You do not come into my town, threaten the people I care about. Going after Elena? Bad move. You leave her alone or I will rip you to bits because I DO believe in killing the messenger, you know why? Because it sends a message."
- Elena: "But you took a risk with Damon. How did you know that he was gonna give it to me?"
- Isobel: "Because he's in love with you."
- Stefan: "What proof do you have?"
- Damon: "I don't need any proof. That's a DNA test for John, Elena and Maury Povich to deal with."
- Isobel (to Elena): "As long as you have a Salvatore on each arm, you're doomed."
- Isobel: "Don't look for any redeeming qualities. I don't have any."
- Damon: "I like being a living dead person."
- Damon: "Stefan is different. He wants to be human. He wants to feel every episode of 'How I Met Your Mother'."
- Elena: "Human life means that little to you?"
- Isobel: "It means nothing to me. It's just being who I am."
- Alaric: "She threatened to go on a killing spree."
- Damon: "I take it that's not okay with you guys?"
- Damon: "You successfully cured him of anything interesting about his personality."
- Elena: "Remember who helped me."
- Damon: "I hate myself."