|“||I’m starting to see my life surface in the art and I’m starting to see the art surfacing in my life. It’s a very interesting dichotomy actors live but they’re supposed to be intertwined. Art should imitate life and life should imitate art.||”|
— Ian Somerhalder on ETOnline
Ian Somerhalder was born in Covington, Louisiana on December 8, 1978. His father, Robert Somerhalder was a building contractor of French and English descent, and his mother, Edna, who is of Irish and Choctaw descent, was a massage therapist. He has a brother, Robert, a wood worker, and a sister, Robyn, a broadcast journalist. Boating, swimming, fishing and training horses filled much of his recreational time growing up, as did the school drama club and performing with the local theater group.
With his mother's encouragement, at age 10 he began a modeling career that took him to New York each summer. By the time he was in junior high, he opted to put modeling on the back burner and focus more on sports and school. A few years later, when the opportunity to model in Europe arose, Somerhalder grabbed it, embarking on an enriching path of work, travel and study that took him to cities including Paris, Milan and London.
At 17, he began studying acting in New York, and by 19 had committed himself to the craft, working with preeminent acting coach William Esper. His fate was sealed while working as an extra in a club scene in the feature film Black & White(1999). A talent manager visiting a client on the set spotted Somerhalder in a crowd scene of 400 and immediately signed him for representation. Happy to be anchored in New York, Somerhalder spends much of his time studying acting, writing and practicing yoga. His recreational interests include water and snow skiing and horseback riding. Recently, he has helped raise funds for 'Disaster in the Gulf', to help the people affected by an oil spill on the coast.
Somerhalder was born and raised up in Covington, Louisiana, the son of Edna, a massage therapist, and Robert Somerhalder, an independent building contractor. He was raised as a Catholic, he attended St. Paul's, a private Catholic school in Covington. He embarked on a modelling career from the age of 10. By the age of 17, he began to give acting a try.
While working on the Vampire Diaries, Ian dated his co-star Nina Dobrev from mid-2010 to May 2013. He enjoys reading, music, yoga and traveling. He has 3 cats with Nina Dobrev; Jama-Lynx, Dennis and Moke. He likes the colors red, black, blue and white. He is currently in a relationship with Twilight star, Nikki Reed. On January 2015, it was announced that Ian and Nikki are engaged.  Nikki Reed also confirmed their engagement.  The couple married on April 26, 2015, in Santa Monica, California. 
In the summer of 2000 Somerhalder starred in the short-lived WB series, Young Americans, a spin-off of Dawson's Creek. He played Hamilton Fleming, the son of the dean of a prestigious boarding school, who falls in love with a fellow student. The series was filmed in Havre de Grace, Maryland. In 2002, Somerhalder played Paul Denton in Roger Avary's adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis' novel, The Rules of Attraction, alongside James Van Der Beek, Shannyn Sossamon, and Jessica Biel. In May 2006, Somerhalder was named one of DNA Models' Top 10 Male Models. He played the role of Boone Carlyle on the hit TV-series Lost. Somerhalder guest starred as Nick in HBO's Tell Me You Love Me, appearing fully nude in a sex scene with actress Michelle Borth. In September 2009, Somerhalder appeared in the movie The Tournament where he played the role of an assassin participating in a lethal competition with other assassins. On 10 October 2009, it was announced that he will star in the Gothic movie Cradlewood, which is to be directed by Harry Weinmann. The movie doesn't have a schedule yet. Somerhalder also appears in the limited-edition coffee table book About Face by celebrity photographer John Russo and Pixie Press Worldwide publishers. Somerhalder currently stars as the vampire Damon Salvatore in the CW TV drama series The Vampire Diaries. For his 32nd birthday he established a foundation.
|1997||The Big Easy||TV|
|1999||Now and Again||TV|
|2001||Anatomy of a Hate Crime||TV|
|2001||Life as a House||Josh|
|2002||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||TV|
|2002||Changing Hearts||Jason Kelly|
|2002||The Rules of Attraction||Paul Denton|
|2003||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||TV|
|2004||In Enemy Hands||U.S.S. Swordfish Danny Miller|
|2004||The Old Man and the Studio||Matt||Short Film|
|2006||National Lampoon's TV: The Movie||Unconfirmed||Uncredited|
|2006||The Sensation of Sight||Drifter|
|2007||Tell Me You Love Me||TV|
|2008||Lost City Raiders|
|2008||The Lost Samaritan||William Archer|
|2009||The Tournament||Miles Shade|
|2009-||The Vampire Diaries||Damon Salvatore||TV|
|2010||How to Make Love to a Woman||Daniel Meltzer|
|2013||Caught On Tape||Officer Lewis|
|2013||Time Framed||Agent Black||Short Film|
|2014||Years of Living Dangerously||As himself||TV Documentary series; 1 episode: "Ice & Brimstone"|
|2014||The Anomaly||Harkin Langham|
The Vampire Diaries
- Season Six
|2002||Young Hollywood Awards||Exciting New Face - Male||Won|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Breakout Performance - Male||Lost||Nominated|
|2006||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (with cast)||Lost||Won|
|2010||Young Hollywood Awards||Cast to Watch (with Nina Dobrev & Paul Wesley)||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Villain||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Male Hottie||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor: Fantasy/Sci-Fi||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Vampire||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Male Hottie||Nominated|
|2011||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Actor: Drama||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2011||J-14 Teen Icon Awards||Iconic TV Actor||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2012||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Actor: Drama||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2012||Genesis Awards||Wyler Award||(for his environmental work)||Won|
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor: Fantasy/Sci-Fi||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Male Hottie||Won|
|2012||Do Something Award||Best TV Star||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2012||Do Something Award||Nominated|
|2012||Environmental Media Awards||EMA Futures Award||Won|
|2012||Fright Night Awards||Favorite Male TV/ Movie Vampire||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2012||International Green Awards||Most Responsible Celebrity||Won|
|2012||J-14 Teen Icon Awards||Iconic TV Actor||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2013||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Actor: Drama||The Vampire Diaries||Nominated|
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor: Fantasy/Sci-Fi||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2014||People's Choice Awards||Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2014||People's Choice Awards||Favorite On Screen Chemistry (with Nina Dobrev)||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2014||MTVU Fandom Awards||Ship Of The Year (with Nina Dobrev)||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2014||Young Hollywood Awards||Best Threesome (with Nina Dobrev & Paul Wesley)||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor: Fantasy/Sci-Fi||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Male Hottie||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Twit||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Social Media King||Nominated|
|2015||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Duo (with Nina Dobrev)||The Vampire Diaries||Won|
- Ian's nickname is 'Smolderholder'
- Ian is best friends with his on-screen brother Paul Wesley, and even refers to him as his real-life brother.
- Ian's full name is Ian Joseph Somerhalder.
- Ian was born in Covington, Louisiana, USA.
- Ian attended St Pauls.
- Ian's favorite food is fish.
- Ian's favorite colors are blue, yellow and red.
- Ian's favorite song is 15 step by Radiohead.
- Ian's favorite sport is football. He has also played varsity soccer and baseball.
- Ian's favorite actor is Sean Penn.
- Ian's favorite movie is The Graduate (1967).
- Ian owns a pizza parlor.
- Ian owns a charity called Ian Somerhalder Foundation.
- Ian was voted "Sexiest Beast" in an Entertainment Weekly poll.
- Ian was the first actor to be cast in Lost.
- Ian originally auditioned for the role of Jason Stakehouse in the show, True Blood. 
- Ian is the fourth oldest cast member of the Vampire Diaries. Casper Zafer (Finn) is the oldest then Daniel Gillies (Elijah) is second oldest and Matthew Davis (Alaric) is third oldest; he is exactly seven months older than Ian.
- Ian played a recurring role in Smallville as Adam Knight, one of Lionel Luthor's genetic experiments who befriended Lana in order to find information on Clark Kent.
- He is well known for his role as Boone Carlyle in Lost.
- Ian is the second of the three cast members to appear on Smallville before the Vampire Diaries. The first was Paul Wesley (as Lucas Luthor), the third was Sara Canning (as Kat) and the fourth was Cassidy Freeman (as Tess Mercer).
- Ian is a Sagittarius.
- Ian is right-handed, as seen in videos.
- Ian is of English, French, Choctaw and Irish descent.
- Ian was raised a Catholic.
- In 2011, he recorded a music video with Dima Bilan 
- He dated his co-star, Nina Dobrev since 2010, but broke-up in May 2013.
- Ian is currently in a relationship with Twilight star, Nikki Reed as of July 2014. The couple got married on April 26, 2015.
- Ian is close friends with his co-stars.
- Ian plays the piano well.
- He is the newest model for Penshoppe All-Stars.
- Ian is 5'9 (177cm)
- He is 79 kg.
- In December 2005, he played "Matt" in the Off-Broadway play, "Dog see God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead", at the Century Center for the Performing Arts.
- He shares 3 cats with Nina; Jama-Lynx, Moke and Dennis.
- Ian, along with Kayla Ewell (Vicki) and Sara Canning (Jenna) are the only cast members among the main cast that haven't played a 2nd role.
- Ian's favorite episode of The Vampire Diaries is Lost Girls.
- According to Ian, it takes about 8-10 days to shoot an episode of TVD.
- Ian directed his first episode, The Downward Spiral.
- If he hadn't become an actor, he would have chosen a career in marine biology, writing, or advertising.
- He enjoys reading, music, yoga and traveling.