|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 5, Episode 1|
|Air date||October 3, 2013|
|Written by||Caroline Dries|
|Directed by||Lance Anderson|
|Episode Guide Transcript|
COLLEGE DAYS — After spending the summer enjoying her passionate relationship with Damon, and making sure that Jeremy is adjusting after his return from the dead, Elena is thrilled to move into the dorm at nearby Whitmore College with her new roommate, Caroline. Still believing that Bonnie has been traveling all summer and will soon join them, Elena and Caroline are surprised when a student named Megan shows up and announces that she will be sharing their dorm room. Katherine makes an unexpected appearance at the Salvatore house and pleads with Damon to help her now that she is human and vulnerable to her enemies. Matt and Rebekah return to Mystic Falls after spending a wild summer in Europe, where they met a mysterious beauty named Nadia. Elena can’t shake the feeling that something is wrong with Stefan, and Silas makes a terrifying appearance at the “End of Summer” party in the town square.
It's the end of the summer and Elena and Caroline need to get ready for college. Though a bit hesitant, Damon says his goodbyes to Elena as she leaves for Whitmore College since none of them wants to leave each other after their newly started relationship. Jeremy stays behind under the guardianship of Damon who takes Jeremy back to school. No one knows yet that Bonnie is dead, except from Jeremy who sees her and talks to her and also answers everyone's mails and texts that are sent to her. As also no one knows that Silas is not gone and Stefan is at the bottom of the lake.
At college, Elena and Caroline expect Bonnie to join them soon but they are shocked when an unknown girl named Megan joins their dorm instead of their friend. Caroline doesn't like the idea of having a stranger staying with them at all and when she discovers that Megan drinks water with vervain, she gets even more nervous because she believes that Megan knows about them and what they are. Elena calms her down and tells her they have to act normal, so they go to the party they were invited earlier.
Back at the Salvatore house, Katherine makes her unwelcoming appearance asking for Damon's help and protection since now that she is human she is vulnerable and she is scared. Damon offers to turn her back into a vampire to get rid of her but she declines his offer since she doesn't know if that would work after she drank the cure.
Silas makes his appearance at the town square restaurant where he meets Sheriff Forbes drowning her sorrow in fast food(chips). He tells her that he is not Stefan but Silas and when he realizes she can't help him, he compels her and leaves. Silas later meets Damon and Jeremy at the bar and Jeremy "feels" that he is not Stefan as when Silas touched Jeremy's arm he felt something strange and tries to convince Damon about it.
At the college party, Megan is killed by a vampire, something that makes Elena and Caroline concern about their secret and that it may bust open. When the police tells them that Megan committed suicide they worry even more since the police is covering the murder. Elena and Caroline find a picture of Megan where she is with Elena's father.
Silas goes to the Salvatore house where he finds Katherine and tries to kill her. Katherine manages to escape from him and with the help of Damon and Jeremy leaves town. Damon convinced that the person who sees is not his brother but Silas, asks Silas to tell him where his brother is. Silas says he'll tell him only if he brings him Katherine back. Damon calls Jeremy to bring Katherine back but Katherine manages to cause an accident and she escapes.
Matt is having fun with Rebekah and meet new people. Among them is a girl named Nadia who later appears at Mystic Falls. At the end of the episode, Nadia and her partner cast a mysterious spell on Matt who loses his senses.
At the end of summer party at Mystic Falls, the Mayor and Bonnie's father, Rudy Hopkins is killed by Silas in front of everyone and influences them to help him find Katherine, while Bonnie watches helpless. In the meantime, Stefan is still locked in the safe underwater and is hallucinating scenes where he talks to Damon and later to Elena, while he is fighting the urge to turn off his humanity.
- Antagonists: Silas, Nadia, Enzo (unseen) and Gregor.
- This is the first episode of the first chapter of Season Five, The Doppelgängers Chapter.
- First appearances of Nadia, Gregor, Jesse and Megan.
- With its 7 words (25 letters), this episode has the third longest title after We'll Always Have Bourbon Street and We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes.
- Elena and Caroline meet Jesse in this episode.
- Whitmore College is revealed to be a few hours away from Mystic Falls.
- Rebekah and Matt were sending postcards from their European trip.
- Bonnie tells Jeremy that she doesn't want to ruin Elena's happiness by revealing that she died.
- Whitmore House is seen for the first time in this episode, it'll reappear in The Cell.
- Caroline and Elena can't enter Whitmore House because they haven't been invited in by the owner (Aaron Whitmore).
- Katherine and Silas meet for the very first time. Although Katherine awoke him in Down the Rabbit Hole by letting him feed on Jeremy, Silas wasn't conscious.
- This episode featured the first same-sex kiss (Rebekah and Nadia).
- Matt has his first threesome in the series in this episode with Rebekah and Nadia, while this is Rebekah's second threesome in the series. Rebekah's first was with Damon and Sage in Break On Through.
- Silas reveals to Damon that Stefan is "suffering" just as he had for 2,000 years.
- Although Silas is immortal, he lacks some abilities that vampires have, such as super-speed and increased physical strength.
- Silas proves he has no fangs as he claims he is immortal, but not a vampire.
- Silas dislikes vampires. He deems them to be "disgusting perversions" of a true immortal like him.
- Damon offers Katherine his blood to turn her into a vampire again, but she declines his offer. She fears that if she dies with vampire blood in her system, she may end up actually dying as a human and not coming back a vampire due to the cure's side effects.
- Elena learns that the recently killed Megan King new her father, based on the photo on her phone.
- The End of Summer party took place in this episode.
- Silas uses his pychic powers to compel everyone in the Town Square to search for Katherine for him.
- This is the first season premiere to feature Rick Worthy as Rudy Hopkins.
- Liz was last seen in The Walking Dead.
- This is the first season premiere to not feature Tyler, at least physically.
- There is a time jump of three months from the end of Season 4 occurring in June.
- This is the first time since Katerina and Klaus that Katherine Pierce is seen as a human, she was last seen as a human only in the 1490 and 1492 flashbacks in those episodes.
- This is the first time Katherine meets Silas since she freed him on the Island.
- This is also the first time Jeremy meets Silas since he was killed by him on the Island.
- Grayson and Miranda Gilbert were last seen in The Departed and were last mentioned in Graduation.
- Jenna Sommers was last seen in The Departed and was last mentioned in Stand By Me.
- Jeremy says that he burned the Gilbert House to fake his death. In Stand By Me, it was Elena who burned down the house to use as a cover story for Jeremy's death.
- Whitmore College as a whole was last seen in The Five, though it was last visited in Because the Night when Stefan, Caroline and Klaus broke into Shane's office.
- In Fifty Shades of Grayson, it's revealed that Enzo is the vampire that killed Megan.
Behind the Scenes
- As of this season, Marguerite MacIntyre (Elizabeth Forbes) becomes the only non main character who is still alive to appear in every season of the series.
- This episode had about 2.59 million viewers in USA.
- I Know What You Did Last Summer is the name of a 1997 horror movie starring Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe and Freddie Prinze Jr. The screenplay was written by Kevin Williamson. The screenplay was also based on the 1973 novel by the same name by Lois Duncan.
- Supernatural (Season 4, Episode 9) also has a title with the same name.
- Stefan (as Narrator) : "...but our greatest threat is still out there...and he looks...just...like...me."
- Bonnie (as Narrator) : "If Katherine Pierce ingesting the only cure on this Earth and having to live as a Human isn't justice...I don't know what is."
- Jeremy (to Bonnie) : "It's bad enough you're dead, now you're a control freak?"
- Damon (to Elena) : "You're leaving! You're going to college, you're going to drink cheap beer and you're going to protest about things you don't care about."
- Elena (to Caroline) : "To us...and college and being functional Vampires."
- Jeremy (to Bonnie) : "I should get going. The freak who faked his own death, can't also be late for math."
- Rebekah (to Matt) : "Five-star restaurants in Paris to tapping kegs in a park...tragic."
- Rebekah (to Matt) : "Tell him we had a threesome, he'll understand."
- Caroline (to Elena about Megan) : "She has an entire drawer dedicated to organic linen."
- (Katherine is drinking Damon's alcohol)
- Katherine: "You're gonna have to cut me off soon. My tolerance is a joke now. It's just so...glorious."
- Damon: "You're miserable."
- Katherine: "Please. I'm Katherine Pierce. I'm a survivor."
- Damon: You're a liar. Your hair is messed up, your nails are chipped. You're a sad, miserable human being and you want me to turn you. So, here. (Damon bites his wrist and offers it to Katherine) Go ahead. Drink up. I'll kill you, you'll bite the mailman, and you'll be a vampire again. Go ahead. Come on."
- Katherine: "I can't, okay? No one's ever taken the cure before. If I die, there's a good chance I may never wake up."
- Damon: "And that would be tragic."
- Katherine: "And deep down in that mushy, gushy Elena-loving heart, there's a part of you that doesn't want me to die."
- Damon: "If I have to hear the word "doppelgänger" one more time, I think I'm gonna actually have to learn how to spell it."
- Silas: "You say you don't believe me, and yet you're mind is spinning at the possibility."
- Damon: "A, get out of my head; B, I think I'd know if my little brother had an evil twin."
- Silas: "Oh, we're not twins. See, when I became truly immortal, nature retaliated by creating a version of me that was kill-able. It's called a shadow self."
- Damon: "Well, whatever you are, your plan didn't work. The cure's gone. Now what do you want with Katherine?"
- Silas: "I could tell you, but wouldn't be so much more fun if it were a surprise?"
- Damon: "You're not getting her."
- Silas: "Damon, how well do you know your brother? Do you really think he would leave town for three months without so much as a phone call so you could live happily ever after with the love of his life? Or did you just delude yourself into thinking it would be that easy?"
- Damon: "Where's Stefan?"
- Silas: "He's suffering, like I suffered. So, call the hunter, bring me Katherine, and then I will tell you where your little brother is."
- Damon: "One day. One day where you don't screw it up."
- Jeremy: "Leave me alone, Damon."
- Damon: "You're lucky you didn't put one of those idiots in ICU."
- Jeremy: "Says the guy that once killed me."
- Damon: "Yes! In the privacy of your own home. Away from prying eyes. Unlike you, who went all hunter in the middle of the hallway. You got expelled, genius."
- Jeremy: "Does that mean I don't have to go back to school?"
- Damon: "I compelled Principal Webber into a very generous 3-day suspension. Elena does not need to know about this."