|“||So.. "Bonster." I linked Elena's life to yours. And, the rule is, as long as you stay alive, Elena will remain asleep.||”|
— Kai to Bonnie via a video message
GOODBYE, MYSTIC FALLS — In the aftermath of Alaric and Jo’s powerful nuptials, things take a dramatic turn when an uninvited guest shows up, leaving Elena in terrible jeopardy. Despite Matt’s advice to leave town to protect herself, a defiant Bonnie takes matters into her own hands after finding herself on the receiving end of a twisted plan. As Stefan and Caroline reach an emotional crossroad in their relationship, a reunion with Liv leaves Tyler faced with a decision that could change his life forever. Meanwhile, Lily's reckless actions cause Stefan to realize the lengths to which his mother will go to reunite with her “family”. Finally, after a devastating chain of events, Damon is forced to make the most difficult decision of his life. Jeremy and Enzo also appear.
Special Guest Cast
- Antagonist: Malachai Parker
- This is the sixth season finale.
- This is the last season finale in which Stefan, Elena and Damon appeared in together. With this episode they have also appeared in 133 episodes the most of any of the other characters in the series. After this episode only Stefan and Damon will appeared in the most episodes of the series.
- Despite telling Jeremy that they find a way to go on in Black Hole Sun, Alaric attempted suicide with a revolver left in his cars glove box due to losing Jo and the twins. He didn't succeed however, due to attempting to kill Kai and using all of the revolver bullets.
- Damon tells Elena he's willing to lay desiccated in the Salvatore crypt until she wakes but she tells him to live his life. In Season 7 he does desiccate himself next to her waiting to be revived after Elena wakes up in 60/70 years as seen in I Would For you.
- Jeremy Gilbert returned in this episode.
- This episode marks the final appearance (as of now) of Elena Gilbert on the show and the last appearance of Tyler Lockwood as a main character.
- Kai commits suicide in this episode but, as Lily had given him her blood, he comes back to life as a vampire-witch hybrid.
- This is the first time in the series so far to show Damon decapitate a person - he usually feed from people, or ripping their heart.
- Damon also fulfils the promise/threat he made to Kai when he first met him in Welcome to Paradise, as he told Kai he would "rip his head off", and he does so in this episode.
- Tyler Lockwood becomes a werewolf again, as Liv was going to die anyway and triggering the curse by killing Liv was the only way to save Tyler's life.
- Elena tells Tyler after he says goodbye to her, she tells him to leave Mystic Falls and to own being a werewolf as that makes him special.
- Elena and Bonnie's life forces are linked by Kai. As long as Bonnie lives, Elena will remain in a coma as well, not aging under the sleeping spell. As Kai said that as Elena's frozen in this moment.
- This is the third time Elena has been linked to someone. The first time was in Season Two when Katherine had Lucy link her to Elena so that what ever happened to her would happen to Elena as well, including death.
- The second was in Season Three when Esther bound her to Alaric, a then Enhanced Original Vampire.
- Damon tells Stefan that he will have Bonnie put a seal on the Salvatore crypt to protect Elena's body from vampires seeking to get the cure from her blood. He tells Stefan he'll make sure to tell Bonnie to never open the crypt for no one including him.
- The Gemini Coven is destroyed in this episode with Kai's human death. With his death, both Prison Worlds are destroyed in this episode and the entire Parker family dies.
- Tyler bit Kai in this episode. It's revealed by Kai that the werewolf curse is magic and so is the venom of a werewolf. He cures himself of the venom by absorbing the magic.
- Of the Heretics, only two of their names have been revealed, which are Malcolm and Valerie.
- Lily is reunited with her vampire family near the end of the episode.
- This is the second episode to feature ten cast members. The first episode was Christmas Through Your Eyes.
- This episode marks possibly the last time Elena and Bonnie see each other due to the curse, binding their lives together.
- When Damon says goodbye to Elena, it takes him to the road where they first meet but in their clothes for Alaric and Jo's wedding.
- Elena says she knew he couldn't let Bonnie die to save her because he cares for her as a friend.
- After Damon tells Elena that he's willing to lay desiccated in the crypt with her until she wakes up, but she tells him to live his over the next 60 or 70 years.
- He dance with Elena one last time in her mind before he leaves her in the crypt until she wakes up.
- At the end of episode we see a flash forward, starting with the interior of the Salvatore Crypt showing Elena's coffin with time sped up showing the flowers rotting away. Going to exterior of the crypt show the changing day/night and weather over an unknown amount of time. The last thing is Deputy Matt Donovan patrolling a boarded up downtown Mystic Falls before craning up to show Damon standing on the City Hall clock.
- This is the sixth season finale to feature Elena, Stefan, Damon, Bonnie, Caroline, Jeremy and Alaric; the fifth to feature Matt; the fourth to feature Tyler and the second to feature Liv and Enzo. This is also the first finale to feature Kai, Jo, Lily and Joshua.
- The following episodes are referenced in the goodbyes to Elena: Damon (The Departed), Stefan (The Last Day), Bonnie (162 Candles), Caroline (History Repeating), Alaric (Smells Like Teen Spirit), Jeremy (Stay) and Matt (We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes).
- This is the 133rd and final appearance, with 2 as her body only possessed by Katherine, of Elena Gilbert on the series since her first appearance in the Pilot.
- The exterior of the Gilbert House was last seen as a hallucination in I'd Leave My Happy Home For You by Damon in Elena's head just before she ingested the Cure.
- Other than Vicki, Jenna, and Alaric, Elena is the only other main cast vampire or hybrid character not to have turned anyone into a vampire in the series while she was one. While Damon, Stefan, Klaus, Tyler, Caroline and Enzo all have.
- Jeremy Gilbert was last seen in Stay. His voice was heard in The Downward Spiral.
- This is Olivia Parker's 20th episode and her final appearance.
- Elena and Damon were the first characters seen in the series in the Pilot, Damon in the teaser and Elena in her bedroom after the opening title card.
- This is the last episode of the season to be based on a song title and the first episode was the season premiere episode I'll Remember.
- The Salvatore Boarding House makes its last appearance in the series with this episode as the real house Glen Ridge Hall Mansion was demolished during the production of this episode. It first appeared in the second episode of Season One in the episode The Night of the Comet as a different location was used in the Pilot for the exterior, since the Pilot was filmed in Vancouver, Canada in 2009.
- Though it's possible they may use stock footage of the house exterior in Season 7.
- Kai was last seen in I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime at the end of the episode.
- Damon mentions Klaus. He was last seen in the Season 5 episode, 500 Years of Solitude.
- This is the second season finale where an entire coven have been destroyed. The first being The Travelers in season five finale.
- Jo is shown in this episode as a corpse. She was last seen alive in I'll Wed You in the Golden Summertime.
- Alaric Saltzman becomes a widower for the second time in the series. The first time was in Season Two when his vampire wife Isobel Flemming died when Klaus compelled her to remove her daylight necklace.
- Jo Laughlin - Stabbed/loss of blood; killed by Kai Parker
- Gemini Coven - Kai's human death; all killed by Kai Parker
- Liv Parker - Suffocation; killed by Tyler Lockwood
- Joshua Parker - Kai's human death; killed by Kai Parker
- Malachai Parker - Decapitation; killed by Damon Salvatore
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 1.44 million viewers in the USA.
- As of now, this is the final appearance of Nina Dobrev on the series.
- Nina Dobrev's final day of shooting her final scene of TVD playing Elena Gilbert was Wednesday April 15, 2015.
- The last scene shot for the season and Nina as Elena was the Damon & Elena dance scene, which according to her WhoSay post the day this episode aired she shares a picture of herself after getting caked by the cast & crew, but took Ian Somerhalder down with her by putting some of the cake on him as seen in another photo.
- The dress Nina wore in this episode and the previous episode was hand made.
- Nina Dobrev is willing to come back for the series finale. Saying she wants to end Elena's story on a happy note with Damon.
- Final appearance of Michael Trevino as a series regular.
- Steven R. McQueen is billed as "Special Guest Star".
- This is the last episode of the series overall, in which Candice King is credited as 'Candice Accola'.
- Nina Dobrev announced on her Instagram account on Monday April 6, 2015 that she was leaving the series after the Season 6 finale, this episode, after having spent the Easter weekend on Lake Lanier in Georgia saying goodbye to both the cast & crew of The Vampire Diaries including Michael Trevino who was also there.
- The last movie made by Nina Dobrev playing Vicki in 2014 during the break between Season 5 and this season, The Final Girls will be released in theaters sometime after this episode airs.
- Nina Dobrev will no longer be living in Atlanta, GA a place she called her hometown for the last 6 years as she's posted a photo on her WhoSay account on Monday May 4, 2015 telling her fans that packing up things and will be moving to live in her new house in the L.A. area. A later post says that she will take a cross country road trip when she's done packing up her things. This implies that she plans to drive her car across the US rather than to ship it to Los Angeles.
- Just like The Originals season finale this episode was dedicated in loving memory of Andre Perreault (1953-2015), TVD and TO's sound re-recording mixer.
- "I'm Thinking Of You All The While" is a song composed by David Reed and recorded in 1903 by Arthur Collins.
- Caroline: "Take her hand, close your eyes. Just let her enter your thoughts."
- Elena: "I'm not a believer. People grow old, then they die."
- Elena: "But how can I deny what's right in front of me?"
- Elena: "Nothing about my life is normal."
- ↑ http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/14/vampire-diaries-after-nina-dobrev-ep-julie-plecs-master-plan
- ↑ http://www.latinpost.com/articles/52909/20150513/the-vampire-diaries-season-6-nina-dobrev-opens-up-about-her-decision-to-quit-tvd.htm
- ↑ http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/14/vampire-diaries-after-nina-dobrev-ep-julie-plecs-master-plan
- ↑ Discography of American Historical Recordings – "I'm Thinking Of You All The While"