|“||I was gonna wait 'til the "death do us apart" bit, but it seemed a little on the nose. Am I right?||”|
ALARIC AND JO’S BIG DAY — It’s Alaric and Jo’s wedding day and Elena and Bonnie do their best to help a stressed out Jo with the last minute preparations. After uncovering some life-changing news that Damon has been keeping from him, Stefan takes his brother on a road trip to give him some perspective on his future with Elena. Elsewhere, when Caroline returns to Mystic Falls after dealing with the fallout of her humanity-free rampage, she begins making amends with her friends and comes to a realization about her and Stefan’s prospects of being together. Finally, when Bonnie begins having vivid nightmares that Lily is coming after her, she enlists Matt’s help in taking Lily down. Tyler and Enzo also appear.
- Antagonists: Lily Salvatore and Kai Parker.
- This episode features Alaric and Jo's wedding.
- Since Stefan tells Damon that it has been four years since they met Elena, this is the second episode to confirm that it's 2013 in the series timeline. Possibly May 2013.
- This episode reveals that it has been a week since Lily was captured and Elena took the Cure.
- Damon serves as Alaric's best man and Elena serves as Jo's maid of honor, as Liv has not answered Jo's calls.
- Elena became human again in the previous episode and this is her first episode only as a human since The Departed in Season Three. She completed the transition and became a vampire in Growing Pains in Season Four.
- Elena tries explaining to Bonnie what the starvation that Lily's going through based on her experience as seen in She's Come Undone, telling her about the stages of it.
- This is the first episode since Memorial that Elena isn't seen wearing a daylight ring since Stefan gave her original ring at the end of Growing Pains.
- Stefan shows Damon a version of what will happen if he becomes human with Elena by going into his mind.
- Nevertheless, Damon decides to take the cure with Elena, telling her that the prospect of a happy human life with her (even a small chance of it) was better than the certainty of an eternity without her.
- Liv appears in this episode and encounters Tyler. They fight over the events that took place from Prayer For the Dying to The Day I Tried To Live.
- Which according to Liv took place over a week.
- Kai returns in this episode. He crashes the wedding and stabs his sister from behind while having cloaked himself before causing the glass to shatter and all of the guests to take cover.
- The Departed was the last episode in which Elena Gilbert was solely human.
- Joshua Parker was last seen in Prayer For the Dying.
- Liv Parker was last seen in The Day I Tried To Live.
- Caroline Forbes was last seen in Because. Her voice was heard in her voicemail in I'd Leave My Happy Home For You.
- Luke was mentioned by Liv in this episode. He was killed in the Merge with Kai in Prayer For the Dying.
- Liv mentions to Tyler about the latter breaking up with her. That occurred in The Day I Tried To Live.
- It is confirmed by Stefan that it has been 4 years since he first met Elena - a few months prior to the series beginning - when he saved her from the car accident that killed her parents.
- While Damon first met Elena in the middle of the road before her parents picked her up and then compelled to forget this meeting. She later remembers this first meeting in Growing Pains as she's transitioning into a vampire.
- McKinley, Virginia
- Virginia Suburbs
- Stefan's old house
- Mystic Falls, Virginia
Behind the Scenes
- Thought not present, this is the last episode to credit Steven R. McQueen as a series regular.
- This episode had about 1.32 million viewers in the USA.
- Hashtag during the airing is #JolaricWedding
- "I'll Wed You in the Golden Summer Time" is a 1903 song by Alfred Bryan (lyrics) and Stanley Crawford (music).
- It's a meaning for a summertime wedding.
- Damon mentions Mr. Rogers. He had a tv show called Mister Rogers Neighborhood. The show started in 1968 and ended in 2001.