|“||A hybrid would be deadlier than any werewolf or vampire. Nature would not stand for such an imbalance of power. Therefore the Witches, the servants of nature, saw to it that my brother's werewolf side would become dormant.||”|
Hybrids are a supernatural crossbreed between two or more different species. The term is commonly used to describe a werewolf turned into a vampire because they were the first type of hybrid to exist, however, they are not the only ones to exist.
A Werewolf-Vampire hybrid are potentially one of the most powerful pseudo-undead creatures, having strengths and characteristics of both vampires and werewolves. Hybrids possess both the strengths and some of the weaknesses of their parent races, along with powerful attributes unique to themselves alone due to their combined heritage, like day-walking and being able to turn into a wolf form without the Full Moon's influence.
To become a vampire-werewolf hybrid, a werewolf must have hybrid blood in its system and be killed to begin transition. The transition will be successful only if the wolf completes his/her transition by drinking the doppelgänger's blood, Hope Mikaelson's blood works the same way as a doppelgänger's. So far, all non-original hybrids have been created by Klaus. Except for Hayley, who was created by Hope Mikaelson.
Presumably, a Werewolf does not have to have their lycanthropic gene activated in order to become a Hybrid, since Klaus became a Hybrid this way. After the first kill, the werewolf gene will trigger and the vampire will become a Hybrid, whether this is possible remains to be seen.
Without drinking the blood of the doppelgänger, the werewolf in transition will become unstable, bleed from the eyes, become rabid, and eventually die in pain from blood loss or some other internal reason, as shown on the pack Klaus initially turned. However, it is unclear why that happens. It might be a reaction to being fed the wrong blood in transition, but all unsuccessful hybrids were turned on a full moon night, meaning they possibly turned rabid due to the effects of the full moon.Klaus had tried this method on a number of werewolves, but they all began to feel pain afterwards and started bleed through their eyes. They ended up dead, either from Klaus killing them, or dying themselves.
It was initially believed that since the doppelgänger (Elena) was resurrected, that the ritual wasn't fully complete, which is why hybrids must have died in transition; Bonnie confirmed this. Later, Klaus, assumed that the original witch would never help him. He gave Tyler Lockwood, the blood of the doppelgänger - as a hunch, because it wouldn't have mattered as he would've died if he didn't complete the transition.Klaus revealed that the Original Witch who cursed Klaus had a fail safe - the doppelgänger had to die in the ritual to turn Klaus, but her blood was needed to turn any hybrids he tried to make. This was put in place due to avoid creation of new hybrids if Klaus were to ever break the curse. Klaus believes it was done as the Original Witch hated him.
Klaus can still turn humans into vampires; by extension other hybrids likely can as well. Before it was revealed that Klaus' child can make Hybrids, every previous hybrid has been directly created by Klaus.
It has been revealed that Klaus can have children thanks to his werewolf side, the child's mother is a full blooded werewolf, and her father is the original hybrid, so she's a werewolf-vampire-witch tribrid, half-werewolf and half-vampire thanks to her father as a Witch due to her grandmother's genes.
It has also been revealed that the blood of Klaus' child can sire hybrids without the use of doppelgänger blood to complete the transition. It has been proven Tribrid blood is a powerful binding agent similar to doppelganger blood. This eliminates the need of doppelgänger blood during transition, though only the child's blood can finish the transition of a new hybrid, thus the Hybrid race still depends on a single and rare supernatural creature.
The Original Hybrid
The first hybrid, Klaus, was conceived when his mother Esther had an affair with a man from a Different Species. When Klaus made his first human kill after being turned into a vampire, he triggered his werewolf gene, which revealed that he was the illegitimate child of a villager in the werewolf bloodline.
When Mikael, Klaus' step-father, learned about his wife's infidelity, he set out and killed Klaus' biological father and his whole family, which began the feud between vampires and werewolves which has been perpetuated across the ages and, to some extent, to this day. Being a hybrid, Klaus has additional powers that his siblings and father do not. However, Esther, the Original Witch, cast a spell on him to suppress his werewolf side and prevent him from turning, both as a duty to Nature (to balance his powers) as well as a way of atoning for her affair. She bound the curse with the blood of the Original Petrova and the moonstone, and then turned her back on him, a move that resulted in her violent murder.
In 15th century England, Klaus, now a nobleman, as well as his brother Elijah, came across Katerina Petrova, later to be known as Katherine Pierce, a Petrova Doppelgänger who had recently relocated after being banished from Bulgaria. He wooed her and planned to use her to break the curse. However, upon learning the truth behind Klaus' desire for her, Katerina stole the moonstone and fled with help from Trevor, and ended up turning into a vampire, which put a damper on Klaus' plans to break the curse for over 500 years. In order to get back both the Petrova doppelgänger and the moonstone as soon as possible, Klaus spread a false rumor about a supposed "The Sun and Moon Curse" which limited the vampires' and werewolves' powers. In so doing, he set both vampires and werewolves, two warring species, into searching for a Petrova doppelgänger and the moonstone, knowing that any news of their discovery would eventually come back to him. Klaus used a witch called Greta Martin to break the curse by sacrificing Jules, the werewolf, Jenna Sommers, who had been turned into a vampire, and Elena Gilbert, the Petrova doppelgänger. He succeeded in breaking the curse but, as he was in transition, Bonnie Bennett, a witch who had harnessed the power of a hundred dead witches, attacked Klaus with the force of nature and pushed him to the brink of death. Klaus' older brother, Elijah, attempted to kill him for having daggered and disposed of their family, but Klaus revealed that the bodies of their siblings were safe and that he could take him to them. Elijah helped Klaus escape, despite Bonnie's threat to kill them both even if it meant death herself. Klaus completed the transition and turned into a wolf for two days, killing many and remembering the kills. He later noticed that the fact that he had stayed a wolf after the full moon meant he could change into wolf form at will.
Klaus is more powerful than any other hybrid both because he is an Original vampire with over 1,000 years of experience as well as being able to turn into a wolf and kill any vampire with a single venomous bite. The difference between him and his pure vampire siblings are that Klaus cannot be neutralized by the dagger coated in white oak ash. Also important, unlike other hybrids or vampires, Klaus can also compel other vampires and hybrids. Klaus' blood is also the only thing that can cure a vampire from a werewolf bite's venom, as shown when he saved Damon in exchange for Stefan's loyalty.
A New Species
Klaus wanted to become a hybrid in order to create his own species, to be used as soldiers that would aid him in anything he would face; in his words, "You don't build an army when war has been declared. You create an army so large that no one dare pick a fight." However, in truth, he really wanted a new family, one that was obedient and loyal to him, unlike his own siblings, who he alienated out of fear that he was unloved. Klaus brought Stefan, who he had coerced into being his right hand man by curing Damon of his werewolf bite and bringing back his bloodlust by forcing him to gorge on human blood for the first time in centuries. Klaus and Stefan traveled all around the country in pursuit of werewolves who Klaus could turn into hybrids. They found Ray Sutton, a werewolf and caught up with him at a bar, where they tortured him until he admitted the location of his werewolf pack. Klaus fed Ray his blood before killing him, beginning his transition from a werewolf to a hybrid. From there, Klaus had Ray bring him and Stefan to a werewolf pack in the mountains. He fed and killed all of those werewolves as well but as he did, all of them, including Ray, showed strange symptoms. They'd turn pale and sickly and feel sick, their eyes bleeding all of which Klaus had thought would fade away quickly but they did not. This turned all of them rabid and feral, so Klaus had to kill every last one of them, hugely disappointed by the failure of his hybrids. He traveled to Chicago to meet an old witch friend, trying to figure out what went wrong. When he learned that Elena, one of the sacrifices to unleash his dormant werewolf side, ended up living through the ordeal, he was furious about being tricked and though he, Stefan and Klaus' sister Rebekah assumed it was because she was still alive that Klaus couldn't mass produce hybrids, Klaus wanted to be sure before he took action.
He realized the Original Witch, his mother, had planned that if he did manage to break the curse on his body, then the Doppelgänger would have to die, so Klaus realized this was another trap by his mother and decided to do the opposite of the obvious. Instead, he decided Elena being alive was essential and that it was her Doppelgänger blood hybrids had to drink to survive the transition. With this hypothesis, Klaus turned Tyler Lockwood into a hybrid and with the help of Elena's blood, Tyler survived the transition and became the first successful hybrid. Successful hybrids had a built in sire bond to Klaus, feeling loyal and thankful to him for releasing them from the torment of having to transform on every full moon.His victory was short lived, though. When Klaus heard rumors that his father, Mikael, was back and searching for him again, he fled. However, he took his time away from Mystic Falls to continue to build his power, turning packs of werewolves into hybrids with bags of Elena's blood he had managed to get before leaving. On these trips, he turned two of his most trusted hybrid lieutenants, Tony and Mindy, bringing all of his hybrids back to Mystic Falls when he heard that his father had been daggered by Elena. Throwing a party at Tyler's house, with all his hybrids as his backup, Klaus celebrated his father's daggering only to discover it was a trap. He expected as much, however, telling his hybrids that if anyone tried anything to hurt him, to tear that person apart. Mikael himself appeared having been able to use his compulsion on Mindy since she was still half vampire. Mikael threatened Klaus, telling him he was a coward to hide behind his hybrids. Mikael threatened to kill Elena if he didn't come outside, and Klaus called his bluff, so Mikael stabbed her. While Klaus was stunned at Elena bleeding out, Damon took that opportunity to try to stake Klaus to death, but misses his heart. Katherine revealed herself, having been posing as Elena, and she attacked the group of Klaus' hybrids with wolfsbane grenades to give Damon more time to kill Klaus. However, Stefan saved Klaus and giving him the opportunity to kill Mikael, knowing that the hybrids would kill Damon if he succeeded in killing Klaus. In thanks, Klaus freed Stefan from being compelled to serve him. Stefan, appreciative of being released from his control, took revenge by stealing the coffins that contained his siblings, including a locked coffin that couldn't be opened. The loss of his family's bodies made Klaus tighten his grip on Mystic Falls even more, deciding he wanted to settle there, in the place where he lived a thousand years before. His hybrids quickly began building a large mansion for his new home, which he hoped his family would soon live in as well. More than anything, he wanted his family back and was willing to hurt people if he didn't get his way. Tony, Klaus' right hand man, stalked Elena and after a scheme that nearly killed both her brother and Alaric Saltzman, Tony was beheaded and killed by Jeremy Gilbert. Klaus sped up his search for his family, having his hybrids search all over town, one of them being killed by Stefan and Damon when he was close to discovering the coffins' location at the old witch house. Stefan decided he had to hit Klaus back hard for what he did, so after ordering Klaus to pack up and leave, he killed Mindy to show he was serious. Daniel Warren became Klaus' new favored hybrid, being there when Klaus was making his power play and solidifying himself into Mystic Falls by promising Mayor Lockwood that the hybrids would protect the town. Stefan complicated things, though, attempting to kill Daniel but was interrupted by Damon who saw the futility of killing all the hybrids, knowing it would only make Klaus even angrier. Klaus then trusted Daniel Warren with an important task again, sending him off to threaten Bonnie's newly discovered mother, Abby Bennett Wilson, and when a deal was finally reached that involved the Salvatore's turning over his three brothers' coffins, Klaus seemed victorious. However, while standing by the coffins, saying that he'd un-dagger them once Stefan was out of the way, Daniel's heart was suddenly ripped out by Elijah, who had been un-daggered by Damon before being returned to Klaus. Elijah un-daggered the rest of the family and Klaus seemed to put his family first, focusing on them over his hybrids for a brief time.
The Sire Bond
Having been sired by Klaus, like all the other hybrids, Tyler felt instinctively loyal to him. He would do whatever Klaus asked without a second thought, even helping in nearly killing Jeremy during the struggle over the Originals' coffins. Klaus had also ordered Tyler to bite Caroline Forbes, Tyler's own girlfriend, which would be lethal to her and when Tyler refused, it seemed he had finally thought for himself. However, the sire bond made him unwittingly bite her anyway the first moment he had a chance, showing that he truly had no free will anymore. This showed Tyler that being a hybrid really had its pitfalls, and after a lesson in trying to overcome the sire bond from Caroline's dad, fled town to try and figure out how to break it. He went out to the mountains where he transformed into a werewolf over and over, a hundred times, breaking all of his bones, because once he could own his pain, he would no longer owe Klaus for ending the misery of turning at every full moon. He had help from a young werewolf girl named Hayley and after months of self-torture and teaching himself control, Tyler felt comfortable enough to go home.Tyler returned to Mystic Falls, telling Caroline that he believed that he was finally free from Klaus' sire bond but he couldn't be sure until he tested it out. Caroline told him to lay low as it was too risky and if Klaus found out the bond was broken, he'd no doubt kill him. Tyler disobeyed her after learning Klaus had shown romantic interest in her. He went to the school's 20's Decade Dance where he realized first hand that he no longer had to do what Klaus said, but kept up the illusion that he was still sired. He dropped the charade, however, when Elena was captured by Klaus who was trying to flee town since Alaric Saltzman had been transformed by Esther into a vampire with a white oak stake that could kill him. Tyler tried to free Elena, disobeying Klaus' direct orders but was caught by Klaus who tried to kill him since he was no longer loyal. Tyler fought back though and with the help of the Salvatore's and Bonnie's magic, they managed to desiccate Klaus' body, draining it of all of his blood and neutralizing him.
They planned on dropping his body and the ocean and being rid of him which overjoyed Tyler. However, when Alaric pursued them, wanting to fulfill Esther's plan of killing the Originals. They knew that since Klaus sired their vampire bloodline, that they would all die if Klaus died, and they knew that Alaric would go after Klaus first now that he was neutralized, so with their lives at risk, Bonnie performed a spell to transfer Klaus' soul into Tyler's body. This saved Klaus even when Ric staked him with the white oak stake. He remained in Tyler's body for a brief period before Bonnie returned him to his charred but healing original body.
Shockingly to all, Elena had been killed by Klaus's sister Rebekah, with vampire blood in her system, turning her into a vampire. This made her blood useless to use in turning werewolves into hybrids so Klaus was forced to rely on the three blood packs he had left when he tried to kill her by draining her blood. Rebekah crushed these packs, though, in a fit of anger after learning Klaus wasn't actually dead, and feeling betrayed because he chose to save Caroline over her. She accused her brother of trying to replace his real family with his hybrids, when he had her this whole time. This made it impossible for Klaus to make anymore hybrids, and in his own fit of anger, disowned Rebekah as his sister and snapped her neck.After a new vampire hunter came to town and had tried to kill Tyler, Klaus ordered a few of his remaining hybrids to protect Tyler, citing that since hybrids were an endangered species now, he didn't want any more to die. Klaus learned that this new hunter, Connor Jordan, was a member of the Brotherhood of The Five and that this group of hunters was the key to finding a cure for vampirism. This cure gave him hope that he'd be able to return Elena to being a human and use her blood to fuel his hybrids once more. He took Connor captive, interrogating him for information and compelling Jeremy, who was the only one to see his Hunter's Mark, to sketch it, as the tattoo was a map to the cure. The tattoo grows with every vampire killed, so at the time it was only a partial map. After receiving a vague sketch from Jeremy, Klaus had one of his hybrids, Nate, watch over Connor to make sure he didn't escape. Connor did just that, though, using his chains to rip off Nate's head, killing him. He brought Nate's head back to his trailer, where he extracted werewolf venom from his mouth to use against the other vampires he wanted to hunt. With Connor out on the loose and Klaus flying off to Italy to find a sword that would help find the cure, he sent one of his most trusted hybrids, Dean, to capture Connor alive. Hayley, the werewolf who had helped Tyler break his sire bond found him in Mystic Falls and together, they plotted to help free the other hybrids from their sire bonds. They tried to convince Dean that he shouldn't go after Connor, knowing it might mean death but his loyalty to Klaus made him go anyway. Connor had taken hostages at the Mystic Grill so Dean tracked him down there, entering the building cautiously. However, Connor had set up a trip mine that was connected to an explosive containing a lot of nails. Dean set off the trap, being caught in the explosion and pierced by dozens of the nails all over his body. Disoriented and wounded from the blast, Dean crawled up to his knees only to find Connor waiting for him, blowing a hole in his chest with gun, shooting out his heart and killing the hybrid, much to Tyler and Hayley's sadness and disappointment.
Despite Dean's death, Tyler and Hayley continued their efforts to free their hybrid friends. They would bring them to isolated areas and have them transform into their wolf forms repeatedly, dissipating the appreciation hybrids had for Klaus freeing them from their werewolf curse. They managed to free a hybrid, Chris, who helped them when Elena was suffering from the Hunter's Curse after she had killed Connor. However, when Chris was panicking, wanting to leave since he knew he'd die if Klaus found out he was no longer sired, Jeremy Gilbert arrived and killed Chris in order to activate his membership into The Five and save Elena from the Hunter's Curse.This infuriated Tyler, upset that his high school friends would so ruthlessly murder one of the hybrids, especially one who was no longer loyal to Klaus. Tyler and Hayley continued their efforts, breaking the sire bond of twelve other hybrids, including Kimberley and Adrian. However, once there was no longer any loyalty to Klaus, their werewolf instincts made it so there had to be an alpha of the pack, a leader. Kimberley made her bid to lead, kidnapping Tyler's friends but Tyler nearly ripped her heart out, telling them all that he was the alpha and that he would offer them retribution for Klaus' crimes. They all followed Tyler, accepting them as their leader and his plan to rebel against Klaus began. Tyler's plan came to fruition during the Winter Wonderland party the town was throwing. The plan was that the hybrids would all ambush Klaus and using the body jumping spell Klaus had always favored, and had used to possess Tyler a few months prior, have Bonnie plant Klaus' soul back into Tyler's body. They'd then bury Tyler's body in concrete, but only so long that the now freed hybrids would have a chance to scatter to the far reaches of the planet, far from the master they had betrayed. Despite his friends and mother not wanting him to go through with it, Tyler was adamant that it was necessary for his friends' survival. Good news arose, when Caroline and Bonnie brought up that they could put Klaus into Rebekah's daggered body instead, not needing to use Tyler. This made Tyler extremely happy but little did he know, his partner-in-crime, Hayley, had her own plans. She had been working with Atticus Shane, to help him complete the three sacrifices that he needed in order to create enough energy to fuel his plan to awaken the ancient immortal, Silas. Shane had promised her that Silas would be able to bring back her parents from the dead so Hayley agreed to help him gather twelve lives to kill in the second sacrifice(the first being the Town Council). She had Tyler gather all of the hybrids in one place but then, unknown to Tyler, told Klaus that his hybrids were no longer sired. Klaus, infuriated by the news, found the twelve un-sired hybrids in the woods.
He started by ripping out Adrian's heart before unleashing his wrath on his former pack, using his sword to behead and impale them. Kimberley managed to escape to the Lockwood cellar but Klaus followed her, realizing this failed attempt at a coup was Tyler's doing. He asked her where Tyler was but she tearfully told him she didn't know. He cut off her head, shattered by knowing that he now had no more loyal hybrids. He had stopped the uprising that Tyler had sparked but the cost of losing his followers made him want nothing more than to see Tyler dead. In retaliation he murdered Tyler's mother while Tyler discovered the bodies of all of his friends. Soon after, he found his mom's body as well, realizing his revolution had crumbled and Klaus had won, leaving the two of them as the only hybrids left on the planet.
The New Generation
Tyler was emotionally drained from the loss of his mother and pack at the hands of Klaus. Luckily for him, Klaus was too busy trying to find the cure to bother finishing off Tyler. However, after Elena and Jeremy had killed Klaus' brother, Kol, and Bonnie had trapped Klaus in the Gilbert house, Tyler came face to face with his mother's murderer again. Gloating about the fact that his friends would get the cure and bring it back so he could shove it down Klaus' throat and kill him, Tyler was confident that Klaus' bloodline would be gone once he cured him, so there was no risk of dying when he killed Klaus. However Tyler was simply Making a mockery of Klaus, and he does not have any physical evidence, to back up this statement.
A new hope came for the hybrid race when it was revealed that they can have children with werewolves as Klaus impregnated the werewolf Hayley and now she is carrying his child. It was confirmed by witches that Klaus was the father through a spell one of them cast. This child is probably one of Klaus' only ways of making more hybrids until he obtains Katherine's blood. It is unknown if Klaus can have children, with humans, or witches, or if non-original male hybrids can have children, with werewolves, humans, or witches.
When Tyler came New Orleans for revenge against Klaus for what he had done to him, he began by kidnapping Hayley and tested a theory if the baby's blood could be used to turn hybrids it worked and he believed that Klaus would use the baby to sire more hybrids. With the tool of his revenge in front of him, he attempted to kill Hayley, but she escaped and Klaus arrived. There was a face off between the two hybrid and Klaus emerged as the winner. He didn't kill Tyler, but let him live in return so Tyler could still suffer even more now that he has failed.
In From a Cradle to a Grave, the baby is born and her mother is killed mere seconds afterwards. However, due to the baby's blood in her system, she wakes in transition. Later, Hayley drinks a drop of her baby's blood so that she can complete the transition, becoming the first Hybrid of the new generation.
In Home, Tyler is stripped of his vampirism by the Travelers, leading to his death. After his resurrection, he is no longer a hybrid because he died as a werewolf. This leaves Klaus, Hayley and Hope as the last remaining hybrids in the world.
Powers and Abilities
Non-original Hybrids and Klaus, have the powers and abilities of both werewolves and non-original vampires/original vampires, both physically enhanced powers and abilities of mind compulsion. Strength (also gets stronger with possibly human or vampire blood and the full moon/werewolf form), speed (also grows faster during the full moon or werewolf form), agility, senses, durability and healing grow stronger with age.
- Super Strength - Non-original Hybrids are stronger than werewolves, non-original vampires and humans. Because of their vampire side, they also get stronger with age. The full moon will boost their strength. Older vampires may be stronger and more challenging for many newborn hybrids. However, if a non-original hybrid fights a vampire closer to their age range, the hybrid will win. Ray Sutton (a dying transitioning, unsuccessful non-original hybrid) was shown to be very strong and nearly killed Damon until Stefan saved him. Non-original Hybrids are even capable of putting up a fight against Vampires well above their age range, however only when angered. This was seen when Tyler was able to momentarily gain the upper hand and bite Nadia. It should be noted that Nadia did manage to overpower Tyler eventually and escape, implying that she was still slightly superior in strength. Julian, while possessing Tyler's body, was able to fend off both Caroline and Stefan and even managed to kill the latter within an instant through heart extraction (which is ironic considering the number of non-original hybrids Stefan and Damon have killed through the very same method). A non-original hybrid in Werewolf-form will be immensely powerful and may be a slight challenge for even an Original Vampire as four normal Werewolves in wolf-form can take down an Original Vampire. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus is much stronger than immortals, original vampires, non-original vampires, werewolves, non-original hybrids and humans. He is able to decapitate other species with a single chop and shatter windows and doors with small objects. He is even slightly superior to Original Vampires, even more so when enraged. The extent of his superiority over his maternal half-siblings is unknown, as Elijah has been able to fight Klaus on almost equal terms when Rebekah has been easily subdued. His true werewolf form boosts his powers. Klaus' strength is enough that he could kill twelve non-original Hybrids singlehandedly, and was able to fight and kill twenty four non-original Vampires single-handedly with only some difficulty. As well as this, Klaus was able to temporarily fight Alaric when he had become an Enhanced Original, showing they had similar degrees of strength. Because of his vampire and werewolf heritage, like Original vampires and non-original vampires, he grows stronger with time and age, his muscular physique is much more defined and his muscle mass is enhanced.
- Super Speed - A non-original Hybrid's intensified quickness, agility, reflexes, and endurance makes them faster than any werewolves, non-original vampires, and humans. Hybrids can use this ability in human or werewolf form. As with strength, this attribute increases as they get older upon being sired. The full moon will increases their speed and being in Wolf-form will make them even faster. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus' intensified quickness, agility, reflexes, and endurance makes him much faster than immortals, original vampires, non-original vampires, werewolves, non-original hybrids and humans, as he once said, "I'm faster than your average vampire". He is able to stop other supernatural species in their tracks and run miles in mere minutes. His reflexes are similarly heightened, as he once caught Connor's arm before the latter could stab him with a small stake; he later saved both himself and Connor from an explosion intentionally triggered by Connor to kill both them and Damon. Like with his strength, Klaus's speed also grows faster with time.
- Super Agility - Non-original Hybrids possess superhuman agility. They can move, jump, climb, and run incredibly fast without difficulty or exhaustion. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus possesses much more superhuman stamina, flexibility, reflexes, agility and dexterity than any immortals, original vampires, non-original vampires, werewolves, non-original hybrids and humans. He can move, jump very high, flip, climb and run incredibly fast without difficulty or exhaustion.
- Super Human Senses - Non-original Hybrids have extremely keen senses of hearing, sight and smell that exceed those of non-original vampires, werewolves, and humans. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus has a more enhanced sense of hearing, sight and smell that far exceeds those of any immortals, original vampires, non-original vampires, werewolves, non-original hybrids and humans.
- Super Durability - Non-original Hybrids can bear a lot of trauma. They also hardly ever get tired or fatigued. Non-original Hybrids can take far more trauma than any non-original vampires, werewolves, and humans, without much discomfort or injury. Stakes and arrows does not seem to kill a non-original Hybrid when they are struck in the heart, they merely become unconscious, they are able to resist the bullets created by The Brotherhood better than non-original vampires as Stefan said to Tyler, that if he was a normal vampire he would be dead. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus can take far more trauma than any immortals, original vampires, non-original vampires, werewolves, non-original hybrids and humans, without much discomfort or injury. However, like with his half-siblings, he has never been dismembered throughout the series, implying that his durability may be close to invincibility. Vervain, Wolfsbane, Wood, and White Oak Ash Daggers do not weaken him, making him virtually indestructible.
- Enhanced Healing Factor - Non-original Hybrids have the combined healing capabilities of both non-original vampires and werewolves, rendering them practically invincible to anything but fatal wounds that can seriously impair their healing capabilities like decapitation or heart-extraction. They can recover/heal/regenerate from any injury much quicker and more effectively than any non-original vampires, werewolves and humans. They also seems to heal much more quickly when exposed to vervain, wolfsbane, or wood. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus can recover/heal/regenerate from any injury much quicker and more effectively than any immortals, original vampire, non-original vampire, werewolves, non-original hybrids and humans. He also seems to heal much more quickly when exposed to vervain, wolfsbane, wood, or white oak ash daggers.
- Mind Compulsion - A non-original Hybrid can compel the minds of humans. They cannot, however, compel original vampires, non-original vampires, supernatural hunters, Witches or Werewolves. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus can compel the minds of most sentient creatures; humans, non-original vampires and non-original hybrids. He cannot compel supernatural hunters that are members of the Five due to them being immune to mental manipulation. Klaus cannot compel werewolves, witches and other Originals. His inability to compel werewolves was even confirmed by Ray Sutton.
- Immortality - Like non-original vampires, and original vampires, a non-original hybrid stops aging the moment they transition. They become inmmune to all conventional diseases, viruses, illness, infections, and injuries. As they are technically still werewolves albeit ones that are turned into vampires, they are likely immune to werewolf venom. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus is immortal, he does not physically age and has the potential to live eternally. He is not a millisecond past his absolute physical prime, and is immune to aging. Nothing (except the White Oak Stake, can kill Klaus). The Original Hybrid is also immune to all toxins, poisons and disease. He does not need to eat, drink or breathe to sustain himself, however he still requires blood. He also possesses an almost eidetic memory and cunning intelligence.
- Dream Manipulation - Non-original Hybrids and Klaus can control dreams and subconscious like vampires. They can produce and modify dreams, bestow nightmares or lucid dreaming. Other effects of this ability is the distortion of reality and trapped in the dreams.
- Emotional Control - Due to their vampire heritage, non-original hybrids and Klaus are able to exert certain control over their own emotions, e.g. They can turn off their humanity.
- Enhanced Emotions - Because of their vampiric and Werewolf traits, non-original hybrids and Klaus experience emotions more powerfully than humans and normal Vampires. Particularly emotions such as anger, rage and aggression due to their werewolf heritage. Non-original Hybrids are more prone to violence and rage than non-original vampires. However, emotions such as love, joy, and happiness are intensified for them as well, allowing them to live life more intensely. This ability allows them to feel emotions at their peak regardless of their age. Klaus, The Original Hybrid, has been shown experience emotions as powerfully today as he did 1,000 years ago.
- Shapeshifting/Transformation Control - Non-original Hybrids and Klaus have the ability to transform into their werewolf forms at will. Most of them avoid transforming at all due to the pain it causes. They still, however, have no control of their actions in werewolf form. They can also perform partial transformations, manifesting single features of their werewolf forms. Elijah informs Klaus that he remained a werewolf for 2 days, even when the sun was up. Showing that a non-original Hybrid and Klaus can stay in Werewolf form longer than a normal Werewolf. As seen with Klaus when he bit Katherine, a non-original hybrid and Klaus can transform partially, displaying their werewolf eyes and teeth.
- Lycanthrope Enhancement - Non-original Hybrids and Klaus are capable of using their werewolf features to further supplement their powers and abilities. Non-original Hybrids and Klaus can grow claws from their nails and werewolf fangs from there teeth even when they are still in their human forms. When Klaus was in Tyler's body, it was shown that a hybrid's claws are sharp enough to penetrate a non-original hybrid's very durable skin. Also a non-original hybrid and Klaus can display both sets of vampire and werewolf fangs. Their eyes also change into those of their werewolf form, presumably granting them better eyesight. Due to their werewolf heritage, a non-original hybrid and Klaus' strength and speed are heightened further during a full moon and at its peak in their werewolf form.
- Werewolf Bite - Due to their werewolf heritage, non-original hybrids and Klaus have venom which is fatal to non-original vampires and they themselves are immune to werewolf venom. Hybrid venom seem to take effect much faster than a werewolf venom.
- Daytime Walking - Due to their werewolf heritage non-original hybrids and Klaus are immune to the lethal effects that u.v. rays and sunlight have on vampires. Allowing them to walk in daylight without the use of a day ring.
- Immunity to Silver - Due to their werewolf heritage, magic bonded to silver doesn't affect non-original hybrids and Klaus. Weapons made of silver might wound them, but the wound heals at super-normal rates than regular wounds.
- Sire Bond - All non-original hybrids seem to be sired to the source of their creation. All hybrids turned by Klaus had a deep sense of gratitude and commitment to him causing them to obey his every command. When Hope Mikaelson's blood was used to turn a werewolf into a hybrid it obeyed Hayley's plea for help as she was still pregnant with Hope and in danger. It is latter revealed that Hope's blood like Klaus's carries a powerful sire bond effect causing any hybrid created from her blood to protect and obey her. A hybrid is capable of breaking a sire bond, if it transforms into it's werewolf form an excess of 100 times in a row. Transforming so many times in a row causes them to no longer feel pain from transforming into a werewolf and they no longer feel a sense of gratitude, commitment or loyalty to there creator breaking the sire bond. Like vampires ,Hybrids can form a sire bond if the human they turn into a vampire has feelings for them before being turned. Although like vampires this is extremely rare.
- Telepathy - An advanced form of mind control that allows vampires to mentally communicate over a vast distance. Damon and Elijah have been shown to mentally communicate with others from a distance
- Illusions - As seen with Lexi, vampires have the power to trick the minds of others into seeing/feeling things.
Former Powers and Abilities
- Lie Detection - Due to their werewolf heritage, non-original hybrids and Klaus can sense when someone is lying to them or not.
- Decapitation - The act of dismembering or removing the head of a non-original hybrid will result in an instant death.
- Heart Extraction - Removing a non-original hybrid's heart will result in an instant death.
- Vervain - Non-original Hybrids are affected by vervain like their vampire counterparts. They can't compel anyone on vervain. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus will only be burned by vervain if his skin comes in contact with it, however he will heal very quickly from vervain wounds.
- Wolfsbane - Non-original Hybrids are affected by wolfsbane like werewolves. As the Original Hybrid, Klaus will only be burned by wolfsbane if his skin comes in contact with it, however he will heal very quickly from wolfsbane wounds.
- Invitation - Due to their vampire heritage, non-original hybrids and Klaus are unable to enter a home without an invitation.
- Magic - Witches are able to give supernatural aneurysms that cause the blood vessels of non-original hybrids to explode. As the Original Hybrid, magic can kill Klaus, if a witch/warlock channels enough power, however considering his level of power, this would be nearly impossible to achieve, any witch/warlock who tries to attempt this would die in the process before they succeed in killing Klaus, also Klaus is extremely resilient to magic, when Davina tried to use magic to hurt him, Klaus felt little to no pain at all.
- Hybrid Bloodline - If Klaus or his daughter Hope dies, then all the non-original hybrids will die along with them.
- Wooden Stakes - Stakes can hurt non-original hybrids and neutralize them but it wont kill them. Wooden stakes execute minimal damage to an Original Hybrid. Klaus cannot be neutralized via a wooden stake.
- Hunter's Curse - If a non-original hybrid kills a member of The Brotherhood of the Five then they will be tormented by the hunter until they kill themselves or if the hunter is replaced then they will be free of torment.
- Mind Compulsion - Because of their vampire side, non-original hybrids can be compelled by Original vampires.
- The Cure - If a non-original hybrid takes the cure he/she will resume their life as a werewolf transforming on the night of the full moon.
- Desiccation - Because of their vampire side, non-original hybrids can desiccate without blood.
- Broken Neck - Breaking a non-original hybrid's neck will results in the Hybrid's unconsciousness.
- Gilbert Device - Invented by Jonathan Gilbert (Enchanted by Emily Bennett), the Device was a weapon designed to emit a high-frequency noise that could only be heard by vampires and werewolves.
- Last Living Doppelgangers' Blood- If the doppelgangers' blood is used in the Magic Purification Spell, all of their vampire abilities will be stripped from them little by little and then they will be brought back to the last stage of their werewolf life; Death. They will then relive the way they died when they went into transition to the point where they die again.
- The Devil's Star - The devil's star can cause a 1000 cuts onto anothers body.
- Animal Blood - As revealed in season 1, animal blood weakens a vampire's strength and presumably a hybrid's strength.
- Physical trauma - Minor physical injuries such as gunshots, stab wounds and broken bones will cause an Original pain and also slow them down. However, this is momentary as they will heal completely within seconds. It seems physical trauma can hurt them anywhere on the body(ex-eye gauging, drowning)
Appearances in Wolf Form
|Niklaus Mikaelson||Niklaus Mikaelson (a.k.a. Nik or Klaus) is an Original/Hybrid, and the son of an unnamed werewolf and Esther.||Undead|
|Ray Sutton||Ray Sutton was originally a werewolf, until he was transformed into a rabid unstable Hybrid by Klaus. Eventually, he was killed by Stefan Salvatore.||Unsuccessful/Deceased|
|Paige||Paige was a werewolf who was turned by Klaus into a unsuccessful hybrid.||Unsuccessful/Deceased|
|Mindy||Mindy was originally a werewolf from Portland, until she was successfully turned into a hybrid by Klaus. She was decapitated by Stefan Salvatore.||Deceased|
|Tony||Tony was originally a werewolf from North Dakota, but he was then transformed into a hybrid by Klaus. He then served as Klaus' right hand man. He was decapitated by Jeremy Gilbert.||Deceased|
|Daniel Warren||Daniel Warren was a werewolf who was turned by Klaus into a successful hybrid. After the death of his friends, Tony and Mindy, Daniel became Klaus' new right hand man. Daniel was killed by The Original Vampire Elijah who ripped out his heart.||Deceased|
|Kimberley||Kimberley "Kim" was a werewolf who was turned into a hybrid by Klaus. She was killed by Klaus, who decapitated her.||Deceased|
|Nate||Nate was a werewolf who was turned into a hybrid by Klaus. He was killed by Connor.||Deceased|
|Dean||Dean was a werewolf, who was turned into a hybrid by Klaus and killed by Connor.||Deceased|
|Chris||Chris was a werewolf, who was turned into hybrid by Klaus and was able to overcome the Sire Bond with the help of Hayley. He was killed by Jeremy Gilbert.||Deceased|
|Adrian||Adrian was one of Klaus' hybrids. He broke the sire bond with the help of Tyler and Hayley. He was killed by Klaus after he ripped his heart out.||Deceased|
|Dwayne||Dwayne was the first werewolf not sired by Klaus, and instead sired by Klaus' child's blood through pregnant Hayley's stomach.||Deceased|
|Hayley Marshall||Her pregnancy with Hope allowed her to become a hybrid. She is one of two hybrids not created by Klaus.||Undead|
|Hope Mikaelson||The first hybrid born with traits of three supernatural species; Werewolf, Vampire, and Witch||Alive|
Known Types of Hybrids
- It is unknown, if a witch were to conceive a child with a werewolf, if they would have both traits. It's unknown if Klaus would have been such a hybrid prior to becoming an Original Vampire/Werewolf Hybrid. But seeing how old Klaus was when he turned, he may have never developed witch abilities or even been a warlock as certain traits can skip a generation
- Even though hybrids can transform at will, only Tyler has only been shown in his werewolf form.
- Ray Sutton could transform into a werewolf, but he along with his pack died before they could complete the transition as they were not fed Doppelgängers blood.
- Tyler Lockwood (a successful hybrid) becomes a werewolf, but is not shown until After School Special.
- After breaking the curse, Klaus remained in his wolf form long after the full moon, but his wolf form was not shown in the series.
- Due to the great emotional and physical pain, hybrids do not transform into their werewolf forms, unless it is necessary or are compelled to by an Original Vampire.
- In Season 4, we first see a hybrid breaking his or her sire bond on-screen and just how much torture hybrids go through to break it.
- In Man on Fire is revealed that hybrids are able to change human (or witch) into a vampire.
- It is unknown if hybrids are able to change werewolf into a hybrid.
- It is unknown if any other non-original hybrids are able to heal werewolf bite. The ghosts of dead witches said that only Klaus can do it but when they were saying it, Klaus was the one and only hybrid who existed.
- Hybrids are the most killed off species in the series. Most of them have been killed by their sire himself.
- Original Vampires can compel non-original hybrids since they are still part vampire such as when Mikael compelled Mindy and Rebekah compelled Tyler.
- To date, it is unknown if non-original male hybrids can have children.
- Since Klaus is able to have children because he is half-werewolf, it might be possible for other non-original male hybrids to have children as well.
- Klaus is the first Hybrid in history to father a child.
- Both Klaus and his daughter Hope, are the first of their kind to exist.
- Should the Moonlight Ring work on a Hybrid, then said Hybrid would potentially be one of the strongest supernatural beings around, as not only would the Hybrid have his/her own considerable power which increases with age, a full moon and anger, but the full power of his/her wolf form in human form which he/she can use at will and with control.
- List of Hybrids - a complete list of all hybrids who have appeared in the series.