Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Stefan is calling Klaus, who is in the woods in Portland.]
- Klaus: Portland is fantastic. Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy looking people it is literally a breading ground for werewolves.
- Stefan: Your father is dead.
- Klaus: What did you say to me?
- Stefan: Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?
- Klaus: Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened.
[One hour earlier, Salvatore Boarding House.]
- Stefan: Aye, let's say that Mikael followed Elena in here. He tried to grab her, so he could use her as bait.
- Elena: And you what? Vervained him?
- Damon: No, we vervained him! This guy is an Original. To make it realistic.
- Stefan: Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger.
- Elena: Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead...
- Stefan: We drove it through his heart.
- Elena: And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?
- Damon: Good point! You my brother have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So the idea is to lure him back here and kill him...last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue-tied.
- Stefan: Well, don't look at me. I am just in charge of getting him back here.
- Elena: Klaus is smart. If we tell him that Mikael is dead, he'll want proof.
- Mikael: Then I shall be dead.
- Elena: What if he wants to see you in person?
- Mikael: Well that means our plan is working. Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him.
- Stefan: With what? Those daggers won't work on him.
- Mikael: Well, I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree. The one that left these ashes when it burned.
- Stefan: Where is it?
[Mikael is dipping a dagger in the ashes of the white oak tree.]
- Mikael: Not here. The knowing of its location is my insurance policy.
- Stefan: Against what?
- Mikael: You leaving this in my heart. You see, a vampire can't dagger an original without dying. So...it falls to you.
[Mikael hands over the dagger to Elena.]
- Elena: Y...You want me to actually dagger you?
- Mikael: Klaus will leave nothing to chance- especially when it comes to trust.
[Klaus is on the phone with Stefan in Portland in the present time.]
- Klaus: I wanna see him. I want to see his rotting body for myself.
- Stefan: Well, he is here. Come by whenever.
- Klaus: If you are lying to me Stefan, your compulsion will expose you. So, answer with your life: Is what you are saying the truth?
[Short flashback to Elena driving the dagger into Mikael's heart. Stefan is watching the scene.]
- Stefan: It's true. I saw it with my own eyes.
- Klaus: I wanna talk to Rebekah.
- Stefan: That's not a problem. She is right here.
[Stefan hands over the phone to Rebekah.]
- Rebekah: Hello Nik.
- Klaus: Rebekah, love. What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run in with the dagger?
- Rebekah: It's true. He's finally out of our lives for good. I miss you. I'm miserable here.
- Klaus: I'll be home soon.
- Rebekah: Good. I'll see you then, brother. [She hangs up the phone and turns to the others.] He bought it. He's coming home.
- Damon: Now- was that easy or what?
- Elena: Let's just get this over with.
[She pulls the dagger out of Mikael's chest.]
[Later, Mikael is still dead on the floor; Rebekah is in a chair, painting her toe nails while waiting for Mikael to come to life again. He starts to move, coughs, and gets up.]
- Rebekah: Finally. Took you long enough.
- Mikael: Rebekah.
- Rebekah: Whatever fatherly rubbish you're thinking, save it. Nothing you say matters to me.
- Mikael: I see. Where is my dagger?
- Rebekah: Elena has it. So you can forget your plans to use it on me.
- Mikael: You were never what I was after.
- Rebekah: Nik was my family. If you were after him, you were after me.
- Mikael: He blinded you, Rebekah. He killed your mother!
- Rebekah: I know what he did, and he'll pay for it with his life. But Nik was not born a killer- none of us were! You did this to us when you turned us into vampires! You destroyed our family. Not him.
- Mikael: Rebekah...
[Rebekah leaves him.]
[Elena is in front of her closet. Bonnie is sitting on her bed with Alaric's photos of the ancient Viking drawings.]
- Elena: [sighs] I hate everything in my closet. I have nothing to wear to Homecoming.
- Bonnie: So, don't go. Let's stay home order takeout and over analyze ancient hieroglyphic thingies with Alaric.
- Elena: We have to go. Caroline will kill us.
- Bonnie: Ha- Caroline actually has a date...
- Elena: You know that you can talk to me about Jeremy, right?
- Bonnie: I don't need to talk about it. He fell in love with his ghost girlfriend and lied about it. What's done is done.
- Elena: You have to talk about it. He hurt you, Bonnie. I am mad at him, too.
- Bonnie: You are mad at your little brother. You'll yell at him a little, teach him a life lesson. You can't really be mad like I am mad.
- Elena: Bonnie...
- Bonnie: And you shouldn't have to be. He's your brother. So no I can't really talk to you about it.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena and Damon are in Damon's room. They are preparing weapons.]
- Elena: We can't trust Rebekah not to turn on us.
- Damon: Oh really? Cause these Original vampires are usually so reliable.
- Elena: Bonnie was right. Rebekah may be mad at Klaus now but - he is her brother.
- Damon: Her lying, mama- killing, dagger- happy brother. Wolfsbane is ready.
- Elena: There are too many things that can go wrong with this plan. Too many people that can make it go wrong.
- Damon: Well, I am formulating a secret contingency plan.
- Elena: Really? What is it?
- Damon: Well, if I told you, then it wouldn't be a secret.
[Stefan enters the room.]
- Stefan: I need to borrow a tie.
- Damon: You have your own ties.
- Stefan: Hm...I'm a 162 years old and I'm going to a Homecoming Dance. I need better ties.
- Elena: You could not go.
- Stefan: I'm compelled to protect you. And if I look at your track record at high school dances - it's pretty tragic. With my luck you'll go and get yourself murdered by the Homecoming Queen...
[Stefan leaves. Elena picks up a wolfsbane grenade. Damon hits her hand.]
- Damon: Ah- ah! No!
- Elena: I know how to do it! Alaric taught me!
[Damon takes the grenade away from her.]
- Damon: Elena! If this thing blows up in our face- just remember: only one of us heals quickly.
- Stefan: Ah, please tell me that you have a better plan than wolfsbane grenades?
- Damon: Never your mind, brother. The less you know the better.
- Stefan: My freedom from Klaus rests entirely upon you two executing your plan perfectly. So, excuse me if I'm a bit cynical.
- Elena: Your the one that we should be worried about. If Klaus asks you one wrong question- whole thing falls apart.
- Stefan: You do have reason to worry, but if I look back in our history of epic plan failures, it's usually because one of us let our humanity get in the way. Upon taking odds on how this thing goes down, it's certainly not gonna be me who screws it up. I'll see you at Homecoming. I can't wait.
Mystic Falls High School
[Caroline and Tyler are painting an old VW Bus.]
- Caroline: Hey, can you hand me the glitter gun? Thanks.
- Tyler: Hey, can't we diss the decorating and go grab a bite?
- Caroline: Oh, I have a thermos in my bag.
- Tyler: I mean a real bite. Rebekah knows some people who like to be fed on. They're into it, we don't even have to compel them.
- Caroline: Okay, first of all, I finally almost just got your mother to stop hating me- so I probably don't wanna get caught in some weird vampire threesome with her son. And secondly, quit hanging out with Rebekah the evil blood slut.
- Tyler: Just keep the claws in tonight at the dance, okay? For me?
- Caroline: So, who has the misfortune of being compelled to be her date?
- Tyler: Matt said he'd take her.
- Caroline: What? You set her up with Matt?
- Tyler: She wants to go to the dance and he didn't have anyone to go with. He drinks vervain. She can't feed on him, what's the big deal?
- Caroline: The big deal, Tyler, is that Matt is an innocent, good person, who should not be going to dances with evil blood sluts!
- Tyler: Matt's a guy, Caroline. And Rebekah is hot, don't over-think this.
- Caroline: This is a sire thing, isn't it? Please tell me this is some weird family extension of your sire bond to Klaus!
- Tyler: I'm here, hanging streamers and I have glitter all over my hands. If I'm sired to anybody it's you.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Rebekah is getting ready for the Homecoming Dance in Stefan's room. Elena enters.]
- Elena: Getting a head start, huh?
- Rebekah: Embarrassing truth? This is my first high school dance.
- Elena: Ever?
- Rebekah: I never really had time for high school before. Nik and I were always moving around, running. Anyway- I didn't want to leave anything to chance. Have you heard anymore from him?
- Elena: No. But I'm sure that when he does return he'll do it with flair.
- Rebekah: And Damon and my father are all set with their plan?
- Elena: Yes.
- Rebekah: Don't tell me. I don't want to know, I just- I want to go to the dance and leave the rest to Mikael.
- Elena: I know it's really hard. So thank you for helping us get Klaus back into town.
- Rebekah: Just be careful. I've been running for a thousand years for a reason. Mikael is not a good person and he definitely can't be trusted. No one in my family can.
[Rebekah has tears in her eyes.]
- Elena: Are you okay?
- Rebekah: I've spent my whole life loving and hating my brother with equal measure. I never thought that I'd be the one to help drive a stake through his heart. No tears- I don't want to ruin my makeup.
[She turns her back to Elena and looks in the mirror again.]
- Rebekah: How do I look?
- Elena: You look amazing! But you're missing one thing.
[Elena takes the necklace out of her pocket.]
- Rebekah: My mother's necklace.
- Elena: You should wear it tonight. May I?
[Rebekah turns and looks in the mirror, and nods; Elena puts the necklace around her neck.]
- Rebekah: Thank you.
[Elena drives the dagger through her back into her heart.]
- Elena: I'm so sorry. I can't leave anything to chance either.
[Later, Elena is sitting on Stefan's bed; Damon is covering Rebekah's body with a blanket.]
- Damon: In the back! Harsh!
- Elena: It had to be done. Rebekah was never gonna be completely on our side.
- Damon: Hey, I'm not judging you. It's very- "Katherine" of you.
- Elena: Not the way to make me feel better about myself, Damon.
- Damon: It was a compliment. Sort of...
- Elena: Stefan's right. Someone's gonna let their humanity get in the way and screw this whole thing up. It's probably gonna be me.
- Damon: Elena, you just daggered somebody. You will be fine.
- Elena: Yeah- but I feel bad about it. I care too much, that's the problem, Damon. I'm the weak link.
- Damon: If it makes you feel any better, she's not really dead.
- Elena: Do you trust him? Mikael?
- Damon: No.
- Elena: What about Stefan?
- Damon: No. Not as long as he is under Klaus's control.
- Elena: Then we need a better plan.
- Damon: I know what to do. Your just not gonna like it.
- Elena: Why not?
- Damon: Because when this all goes down, I don't want you having any part of it.
- Elena: What does that mean?
- Damon: Do you trust me?
- Elena: Yes.
- Damon: Then you have nothing to worry about.
Mystic Falls High School
[It's nighttime. The fire brigade is there. There is water flooding the place.]
- Caroline: What happened?
- Tyler: The gym is flooded.
- Caroline: What?
- Tyler: Dance is canceled.
- Caroline: Excuse me? What are we supposed to do now?
[Elena is at the Salvatore Boarding House on the phone with Caroline.]
- Elena: So, does that mean I don't have to go?
- Caroline: You wish! No, Tyler is moving the party to his house.
- Elena: Kegs and beer pong for Homecoming? That's...different...
- Caroline: Just say you're still coming?!
[Someone is knocking on the front door.]
- Elena: I'll see you there.
[She hangs up and opens the door. Matt is there.]
- Matt: Elena...
- Elena: Matt...Hey.
- Matt: Hey.
- Elena: Umm - slight problem with your Homecoming date.
- Matt: What happened?
- Elena: How would you feel about a backup date?
[There's a rock band playing in the garden; everyone from the school is there; Caroline enters the house with Bonnie.]
- Caroline: How did he plan a better party than me so fast? What? Is that a band outside?
- Bonnie: Who are all these people?
- Caroline: This is weird! Where is Tyler?
[Stefan moves through the crowd. Tyler walks over carrying a box of beer.]
- Tyler: Hey Stefan! What's up?
- Stefan: Hey Tyler. Nice party you've got going on.
- Tyler: Thanks, but I'm not the one throwing it. I'm just doing what Klaus wants.
- Stefan: What do you mean?
- Tyler: It's not a party, man. It's a wake.
[Klaus entering the stage; the crowd cheers.]
- Klaus: Good evening everyone! I wanna thank you for being here with me to celebrate! It's been a long time coming!
[Katherine (disguised as Elena) and Matt arrive at the party.]
- Katherine: So much for Homecoming...
- Matt: This is weird! Us being here together...
- Katherine: There's Caroline. She doesn't know anything. Act normal.
- Caroline: Hey...Klaus is here.
- Matt: What?
- Caroline: Yeah! Apparently our sired hybrid-friend Tyler thought it would be okay to let his master throw a party! I expected more surprise!
- Katherine: I've learned not to be surprised by anything Klaus does. I'm gonna go find Bonnie.
- Caroline: What's going on? And what are you two doing here together? Thought you were supposed to be here with Rebekah.
- Matt: Plan's changed. I need a drink.
[He leaves too.]
[Katherine walks down the stairs and sees Klaus and Stefan walking around the party.]
- Stefan: Quite the Homecoming.
- Klaus: I've been planning my father's funeral for a thousand years. Granted, in no version of it were any of these people invited, but you get the idea.
- Stefan: So, what now? Stop running?
- Klaus: Hm- now I reunite my family.
- Stefan: Your family. You mean the people you cart around in caskets?
- Klaus: None of that matters anymore. Mikael is gone. Bygones will be bygones. [he sees the Homecoming Queen walking by]. Seems the Homecoming Queen still walks among the living, which leads me to believe Rebekah isn't here...Where is she?
- Stefan: I have no idea. I thought she was coming with Matt.
- Klaus: Oh, be honest now, Stefan. Where is my sister?
- Stefan: I said I have no idea. How would you like me to take you to your father?
- Klaus: Well, it wouldn't be a party without the guest of honor, would it? Bring him to me.
- Stefan: All right. Perhaps there's something in it for me...? My freedom from your compulsion?
- Klaus: Oh, you want your freedom. Well, once he is dead and his weapon destroyed, you'll have your freedom. It'll be my pleasure to give it back.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Damon pours himself a glass of blood; Mikael enters the room.]
- Mikael: Did my daughter go to the dance?
- Damon: Yep, you missed the photo op. Did you get the stake?
- Mikael: I did.
- Damon: I'm not gonna take your word for it. No offense to your honor and all...
- Mikael: None taken.
[He pulls out the stake from his jacket.]
- Damon: Fancy. May I?
- Mikael: It's the only weapon on this earth that can kill an original. So I think I'll hold on to it. No offense.
- Damon: I'd offer you a drink- but Katherine tells me you're more of a "vampire on the rocks" kind of guy.
- Mikael: Well, technically you could still offer.
- Damon: Why feed on vampires? Don't tell me it's for the smooth after taste.
- Mikael: I had a hand in creating vampires, but bloodlust was never my intention. Over the centuries I learned to feed from the predator, not the innocent.
[Stefan comes in.]
- Stefan: Change of plans. Klaus is back. He is at the Lockwood's and he wants your body delivered to his doorstep.
- Mikael: I'm afraid he is in for a colossal disappointment.
- Stefan: Well, he's certainly not gonna come here. I hope your plan didn't depend on that?
- Damon: Didn't depend on that.
- Stefan: But you do have a plan, right?
- Damon: Oh, yeah. We have a plan, right. Just doesn't involve you.
[Mikael leaps forward, grabs Stefan and starts to feed on him; Stefan falls to the floor unconscious.]
- Damon: You couldn't just break his neck?
- Mikael: Well that certainly occurred to me.
[Damon looks at Stefan then grabs his jacket and a bag and leaves.]
[The party is still going on.]
- Tyler: My mom would seriously freak if she saw all these people here.
- Klaus: Your mother won't be a problem: I compelled her to go to church and pray for your friends.
- Tyler: What are you talking about?
- Klaus: I want you to look around. There is Bonnie, there is Elena and Matt and there's your pretty little girlfriend Caroline. Epic dance was wrecked tonight and who came through with the party? You did. What a pal. But who are all these other people here?
- Tyler: I have no idea. I've never seen half these people in my life.
- Klaus: That's because I've invited a few dozen friends of my own. That's my friend Mindy...picked her up along the way in Kansas. Did you know that there's an entire bloodline of werewolves in the heartland? That's Tony from North Dakota and let's not forget the Seattle contingent.
- Tyler: Are those people all hybrids?
- Klaus: Well, they also love a good party. And they, like you, were sired by me. They wish to serve their master. So if anyone should so much as make a move against me, they may feel obligated to retaliate. You're free to warn your friends.
[Tyler and Caroline are in Tyler's bedroom; he shuts the door.]
- Tyler: What are you up to with Klaus?
- Caroline: Uh - nothing.
- Tyler: He is on to you, Caroline. Whatever you all think you're about to pull off- he's two steps ahead of you!
- Caroline: Okay, I don't know what you're talking about.
- Tyler: You're lying to me.
- Caroline: You know, actually, I'm not. I don't know anything. But even if I did, I wouldn't tell you about it, because you are sired to team Klaus now. And you can't be trusted. So can we please just go back to the party now?
[Caroline wants to leave but Tyler takes out a syringe and vervains her; she goes down unconscious.]
[Klaus walks up to Katherine disguised as Elena.]
- Klaus: Where's your date?
- Katherine: Getting me a drink.
[Klaus offers her his drink. She rejects it.]
- Klaus: Well, seems I have you to thank for Mikael's demise.
- Katherine: He came at me. I didn't have a choice.
- Klaus: Still I'm impressed. It's not easy for a human to dagger an Original.
- Katherine: It wasn't the first time.
- Klaus: Right. Elijah. You seem nervous.
- Katherine: I'm not nervous. I just don't like you.
- Klaus: Let's get straight to the point then, shall I, love? People have been after me for 1000 years. And I am always one step ahead. So whatever it is you're thinking of trying, go for it, give it your best shot. You won't succeed.
[Damon walks up to the front door. A hybrid is standing at the bottom of the steps acting as the doorman.]
- Hybrid: Invite only, vampire.
- Damon: Here's my RSVP.
[Damon rips his heart out.]
- Damon: "Hybrid".
[Back in Tyler's room.]
- Matt: What'd you do to her?
- Tyler: It's just vervain. She'll be fine. But I need you to get her out of here as fast as possible.
- Matt: What's going on?
- Tyler: Something's going down against Klaus and this house is full of hybrids like me that can't let anything happen to him.
- Matt: What do you mean can't?
- Tyler: I can't explain it. I can't fight against it. I just know that I need to protect him no matter who gets in my way.
- Matt: By attacking Caroline?
- Tyler: I'm protecting her, Matt! This is the only way to keep her safe. Please. Just get her out of here safely. Get everyone out.
[Tyler leaves and goes downstairs. He runs into Damon, who grabs him and throws him in an empty room.]
- Damon: As the host you should know these hybrids don't make the best first impression.
- Tyler: Whatever move you're making, Klaus is gonna be ready for you. He'll kill anyone at this party if he has to.
- Damon: Tell someone who cares.
[Damon attacks Tyler; they fight; Damon is about to stake Tyler when they both clutch their heads in pain. Bonnie comes in, using her powers to inflict the pain. After Tyler and Damon are slumped on the floor, Bonnie stops using her powers on Damon. Damon gets up.]
- Damon: What the hell is wrong with you? You weren't suppose to witchy migraine me!
- Bonnie: You weren't supposed to kill Tyler!
- Damon: He tried to bite me!
[The White Oakak stake is on the floor, and Damon picks it up.]
- Bonnie: What is that?
[Damon puts the White Oak stake back in his jacket.]
- Damon: Nothing.
- Bonnie: Oh my god is that the...?
- Damon: Shh. [mouths] They're everywhere!
- Bonnie: Why do you have it?
- Damon: Because I'm the only one who can get inside the house!
[Klaus is at a table playing beer pong. One of his hybrids comes up to him.]
- Mindy: You have a visitor.
- Klaus: Well, tell my visitor I'm on the brink of victory here.
- Mindy: He said his name is Mikael.
[Klaus looks disappointed and throws the ping pong ball into a cup.]
- Klaus: Then we mustn't keep him waiting. Move everyone out back. I'm gonna have a little chat with my dad. Tony, you know what to do.
[Klaus goes to the front door, Mikael is at the doorway.]
- Mikael: Hello, Niklaus.
- Klaus: Hello, Mikael. Why don't you come in? Oh, that's right. I forgot you can't.
- Mikael: Or you can come outside if you want.
- Klaus: Or I could watch my hybrids tear you limb from limb.
[A group of hybrids gather behind Mikael on the lawn.]
- Mikael: They can't kill me.
- Klaus: True. But it'll make a hell of a party game. All I have to do is rub these two fingers together and they'll pounce.
- Mikael: The big bad wolf. You haven't changed. Still hiding behind your playthings like a coward. You only forget. They may be sired by you, but they're still part vampire. And they can be compelled by me.
[Mindy walks up behind Mikael and pushes Katherine to Mikael.]
- Mikael: Come out and face me, Niklaus. Or she dies.
- Klaus: Go ahead. Kill her.
- Katherine: No, Klaus. He'll do it.
- Mikael: If she dies, this lot will be last of your abominations.
- Klaus: I don't need them. I just need to be rid of you.
- Mikael: To what end, Niklaus? So you can live forever, with no one at your side? Nobody cares about you any more, boy! What do you have other than those whose loyalty you forced? No one. No one.
[Klaus's eyes start tearing.]
- Klaus: I'm calling your bluff, father. Kill her.
- Mikael: Come outside and face me, you little coward. And I won't have to.
- Klaus: My whole life you've underestimated me. If you kill her you lose your leverage. So go ahead. Go on. Kill her. Come on, old man. Kill her. Kill her!!!
- Mikael: Your impulse, Niklaus. It has and will forever be the one thing that keeps you from truly being great.
[Mikael stabs Elena/Katherine with a dagger and pulls it out. She falls to the floor.]
[Mikael laughs as Klaus looks on shocked. Damon rushes up behind Klaus, twists him around and stabs the White Oak Tree dagger into his stomach. Katherine gets up from the floor.]
- Mikael: Katherine...
- Katherine: [smiling] Kaboom.
[Katherine has two wolfsbane grenades in her hands and throws them at the hybrids. Meanwhile, Damon is about to stake Klaus, when Stefan knocks him off of Klaus and holds him down. The stake is on the floor.]
- Damon: What are you doing?!
[Klaus takes the stake jumps at Mikael and drives it through Mikael's heart; he bursts into flames and dies.]
- Damon: What the hell did you do?
- Klaus: He's earned his freedom.
[Stefan stops clutching Damon, gets up and faces Klaus.]
- Klaus: Thank you my friend. You no longer have to do as I say. You're free.
[Klaus un-compels Stefan. Stefan looks where Damon was, but he has fled.]
[Later that night, Caroline's sleeping on the bed, waking up; Tyler comes in.]
- Tyler: Are you okay?
- Caroline: What do you think?
- Tyler: I'm sorry I stabbed you. It was the only thing I could think of to get you out of there.
- Caroline: Oh, yeah, not hey Caroline, um, I worried about what might happened this evening so maybe you should just go home and watch Dancing with the Stars?
- Tyler: If you knew all your friends were gonna get together and try to take down Klaus, would you have left?
- Caroline: No.
- Tyler: So there you go. I saved you from your own stubbornness.
- Caroline: This isn't funny, Tyler! How am I supposed to be with you when you're sired to him?!
- Tyler: I need you to understand, Caroline.
- Caroline: Understand what? That you're one of the bad guys now?
- Tyler: Understand that this is who I am! There's nothing that I can do about it. Klaus can't be killed. I can't be fixed. Understand that I'm okay with it.
- Caroline: But...How are you okay with it?
- Tyler: Because it's better. I don't have to turn, Caroline. Not unless I want to. I never have to go through that pain again. If being sired to Klaus is the price that I have to pay, so be it.
- Caroline: But...you don't have any true control over yourself.
- Tyler: I never did before. The full moon controlled me. After everything that we've been through, you've been there for me through all of it. Don't turn your back on me now.
- Caroline: Tyler...
- Tyler: Right.
- Caroline: I just...
- Tyler: I got it.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Elena and Damon are in the living room, talking.]
- Elena: How did this happen?
- Damon: We thought of everything, Elena! Klaus having hybrids. Mikael turning on us. We brought in Katherine so you weren't in danger. Anything that could have gone wrong we were prepared!
[He takes a drink of alchohol.]
- Elena: I don't understand. Stefan wanted Klaus dead. More than anything. That's what we were counting on.
- Damon: We blew it.
- Elena: Where's Katherine?
- Damon: She ran for the hills like usual, the minute things got bad! And who blames her?! Klaus would've crushed her. I had him, Elena. I had Klaus! This could have all been over!!!
[Damon throws a bottle of scotch in the fireplace.]
- Elena: Hey. Damon...Hey! Hey, listen to me!
[Elena grabs Damon's face.]
- Elena: We'll survive this. We always survive. Trust me.
- Damon: We're never getting Stefan back. You know that, don't you?
- Elena: Then we'll let him go. Okay? We'll have to let him go.
[Damon nods. His phone rings. He answers it.]
- Damon: Not interested in the play-by-play of our failure right now, Katherine.
[Katherine is driving in her car somewhere.]
- Katherine: I'm just calling to say goodbye. I don't know what to tell you. You had a good plan Damon. And that's high praise coming from me.
- Damon: That's not very comforting at the moment. You're going back into hiding?
- Katherine: At least my life is not boring. Goodbye, Damon.
- Damon: Take care of yourself, Katherine.
[They hang up.]
[Katherine is driving in her car.]
- Katherine: He doesn't know where it all went wrong...
[She looks over at the passenger's seat; Stefan is sitting there.]
- Stefan: He doesn't need to know.
[Katherine stops the car.]
- Katherine: Are you good from here? I need to put about a million miles between myself and Klaus as soon as possible. Stefan?
[Flashback to the Salvatore Boarding House where Stefan's still down on the floor after Mikael's attack.]
- Katherine: Stefan!
- Stefan: Elena.
- Katherine: Not exactly...[She drops a blood bag next to him.] Pep up! I only got a minute before they realize that I'm not at the party...
[Flashback to the party where Klaus meets Elena/Katherine.]
- Klaus: You seem nervous.
- Katherine: I'm not nervous, I just don't like you.
- Klaus: People have been after me for a thousand years and I'm always one step ahead: So whatever it is you're thinking of trying, go for it. Give it your best shot. You won't succeed.
- Katherine: It won't be for lack of trying.
- Klaus: Ah you'd be smart to tell Damon to mind his manners tonight, because if I die, I've already ensured that he'll die along with me! Even in death my hybrids have their orders. So, you kill me you're killing him too.
[Back in the car with Katherine and Stefan.]
- Stefan: How did you know that I would stop Damon?
- Katherine: I didn't. I was just hoping that you would want to...
[Flashback to the Salvatore Boarding House, where Stefan is drinking the blood bags, and Katherine is with him.]
- Katherine: If Klaus gets killed he is taking Damon down with him.
- Stefan: So pull the plug on the plan.
- Katherine: And face the wrath of Mikael? We'll all be dead! Okay look. I know that you've turned off your humanity and that you don't care, so there's only one solution.
- Stefan: What's that?
- Katherine: Care, Stefan. Care enough to safe Damon's life. Because I am going back to that party and I'm seeing this plan through. Klaus will be killed. We'll have our freedom. But then Damon will be dead. Your brother will be dead, Stefan. Unless you care enough to do something about it.
[Back in the car.]
- Stefan: You wanted Klaus dead for five hundred years. Why would you risk all that, just to safe Damon's life?
- Katherine: I wasn't just trying to safe Damon's life, Stefan. I was trying to safe yours. Your humanity. Let's just say I liked the "old you" better.
- Stefan: Nah. Come on, Katherine. You don't care about anybody but yourself. You never have.
- Katherine: You and I both know that that is not true. I loved you, I've loved Damon, too. Humanity is a vampire's greatest weakness...No matter how easy it is to turn it off- it just keeps trying to fight it's way back in. Sometimes I let it.
- Stefan: I can't let it all back in. I don't want to. Not after everything I've done.
- Katherine: Of course you don't want to. But if you don't let yourself feel, you won't be able to do what I need you to do next.
- Stefan: What's that?
- Katherine: Get mad.
Salvatore Boarding House
[Rebekah's daggered body is lying on the floor with her phone ringing on the floor beside her.]
- Klaus: [Leaving a voicemail message.] Rebekah, where are you? Pick up the phone, darling. Daddy is dead. It's time for a family reunion.
[He receives another call and switches to it.]
- Klaus: Stefan! Miss me already?
- Stefan: I'm just calling to thank you for my freedom.
- Klaus: Oh, I like to believe I'm a man of my word, more or less.
- Stefan: Thing is, it came at too high of a price. You took everything from me, Klaus.
- Klaus: Let bygones be bygones, trust me. Resentment get's old.
[Klaus approaches his truck in which he transports the caskets.]
- Stefan: You know what never get's old? Revenge.
[Klaus opens the truck; it's empty; the caskets are all gone.]
- Klaus: No.
- Stefan: What's the matter, Klaus? Missing something?
[Stefan is in a large room with the caskets.]
- Klaus: What are you doing?
- Stefan: Just enjoying my freedom.
- Klaus: I will kill you and everyone you've ever met!
- Stefan: You do that, and you will never see your family again. I wonder Klaus, as someone who has been one step ahead for a thousand years...are you prepared for this?