|The Vampire Diaries|
|Season 1, Episode 9|
|Air date||November 12th 2009|
|Written by||Bryan M. Holdman & Brian Young|
|Directed by||Marcos Siega|
|Episode Guide transcript|
The Turning Point
History Repeating is the ninth episode of the First Season and the series.
STEFAN LEARNS THE REASON DAMON RETURNED TO MYSTIC FALLS —- Jeremy gets a break from the mysterious new history teacher, Alaric, and introduces Alaric to Jenna. Bonnie is having terrifying dreams about one of her ancestors. Despite Elena's attempt to smooth things over, Bonnie and Caroline continue to argue over the medallion. When the girls hold a seance to help them decide what to do, the results are stranger than any of them expected. Matt comes to Caroline's aid when she needs a friend. Damon finally reveals to Stefan the stunning reason he has returned to Mystic Falls.
A new history teacher arrives, named Alaric Saltzman, to replace Mr. Tanner. Jeremy notices his ring, which resembles one worn by vampires. Jeremy introduces his new teacher to Jenna, who then becomes infatuated with Alaric. Alaric asks Jenna to invite him into her home, but she refuses after realizing Jeremy is there. When Bonnie is having dreams about her wiccan ancestor Emily, the girls decide to hold a séance, enabling Emily to possess Bonnie. Meanwhile, Damon reveals the reason he really came back to Mystic Falls: to resurrect Katherine with the help of the crystal that Katherine gave to Emily on her last day when she was alive. Stefan tries to stop Damon, knowing that it'll cause a disaster in Mystic Falls due to the fact that all the vampires that had escaped to the tomb underneath the old Fell's Church, in 1864, would take revenge on the innocent generation of townspeople. On his way to the ruins of old Fell's Church, Damon greets Emily and reminds her about the deal they made a century and a half ago; Damon will protect Emily's line and Emily will protect Katherine. Damon goes for the crystal, and Emily uses her power to throw him up to the branch of a tree. Then Emily performs the ritual to destroy the crystal and thwarts Damon's plan. Emily releases Bonnie from possession. Furious, Damon attacks Bonnie, but Stefan saves her by making her drink his blood. Bonnie is frightened of Stefan until Elena reveals everything to her. Elena tells Stefan that she can handle being in a relationship with him after learning who he is, but Stefan tells her that he cannot because too many people have died, so he's leaving town. Matt continues to be there for Caroline when she needs it. Logan returns into the picture as a vampire instead of a corpse at Elena's house, and he tries to get Jenna to invite him in.
- Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert
- Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvatore
- Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore
- Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
- Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers
- Katerina Graham as Bonnie Bennett
- Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
- Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
- Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood (credit only)
Special Guest StarEdit
- Antagonist: Damon Salvatore
- Damon reveals to us that Katherine is alive.
- It is revealed that Bonnie's ancestor Emily Bennett was Katherine's handmaid and that witches can use celestial events (the comet) to draw energy into their magic.
- This episode is Bonnie-centric.
- This is the first appearance of Alaric Saltzman in tv series.
- In this episode Alaric and Jenna meet each other for the first time.
- This episode had 4.10 million viewers in USA.
- Alaric Saltzman is seen wearing a mysterious ring that resembles Stefan and Damon's rings. It is later revealed to have different magical qualities than theirs in A Few Good Men.
- Ironically as a part of Jeremy's extra credit he has to do a report on the town but he can't do a Wiki search.
- Bonnie: "Who are you?"
- Emily: "I'm Emily, you know that. We're family."
- Bonnie: "Where am I?"
- Emily: "This is where it started. And this is where it has to end."
- Bonnie: "This isn't real."
- Emily: "Help me.."
- Damon: "I got the town off our back, it was for the greater good, but I'm sorry! And to prove it I'm not going to feed off a human. For at least a...week. I'll adopt the Stefan diet, only nothing with feathers."
- Stefan (mimicking Damon): "Yes, Stefan. And now that the "Secret Society of Vampire Haters" is off our back, I can go back to my routine of "How Can I Destroy Stefan's Life This Week?."
- Damon (mimicking Stefan): "And I can go back to sulking, and Elena longing, and forehead brooding."
- Stefan (mimicking Damon): "So Stefan, you know, I've been thinking...I think we should start over, give this brother thing another chance. We used to do it "oh so well" once upon a time."
- Damon (mimicking Stefan): "I don't-- Damon. I can't trust you to be a nice guy, you kill everybody and you're so mean-- you're so mean and-- (normally) You're really hard to imitate and then I have to go to that lesser place."
- Jeremy: "Hey, Mr. Saltzman, I'm Jeremy Gilbert, you needed to see me?"
- Alaric: "Did you know that your old teacher, had a jack-ass file? No joke. It's typed on the label, and it has all the trouble makers in it. But really its just a opus to you."
- Stefan: "Yeah, I got your messages sorry I didn't get back to you, but what I want to say shouldn't be said over the phone."
- Elena: "A simple 'I didn't kill my brother text' would suffice."
- Damon: "There's a tomb underneath the church. The spell sealed Katherine in that tomb, protecting her."
- Stefan: "Are you telling me that Katherine's alive?"
- Damon: "Hello Emily, you look different."
- Emily/Bonnie: "I won't let you do it."
- Damon: "We had a deal."
- Emily/Bonnie: "Things are different now, I need to protect my family."
- Stefan: "Emily, tell me what you did."
- Emily/Bonnie: "To save her, I had to save them."
- Stefan: "You saved everyone in the church?"
- Damon: "They killed 27 people and they called it a war penalty, they deserve whatever they get!"
- Stefan: "27 vampires Damon, they were vampires. You can't just bring them back!"
- Caroline: "Did you just come to insult me or what, because its been a really long night."
- Matt: "No its just that I don't like you. I never have, but it was nice."
- Caroline: "What?"