|“||Katherine never compelled me. I knew everything. Every step of the way. It was real for me.||”|
STEFAN LEARNS THE REASON DAMON RETURNED TO MYSTIC FALLS —- Jeremy gets a break from the mysterious new history teacher, Alaric, and introduces Alaric to Jenna. Bonnie is having terrifying dreams about one of her ancestors. Despite Elena's attempt to smooth things over Bonnie and Caroline continue to argue over the medallion. When the girls hold a séance to help them decide what to do, the results are stranger than any of them expected. Matt comes to Caroline's aid when she needs a friend. Damon finally reveals to Stefan the stunning reason he has returned to Mystic Falls.
|The episode starts with Bonnie in class when she sees Emily and she leaves the class to follow her. Emily leads her to an old burned down building. Bonnie wakes up in the class screaming and everyone is staring at her. She turns around and sees Emily sitting right next to her and Bonnie wakes up again, this time for real, in the woods.
A new history teacher, Alaric Saltzman walks into the class and introduces himself. After class, Bonnie describes Elena her dream thinking that she is haunted by Emily and that it might have something to do with the crystal she is wearing.
Damon tries to make nice for killing Lexi and he explains Stefan that he did it for them. He also promises not to feed on human for a week, but Stefan is not really amused by his humor over the subject. Stefan later finds Elena at school and informs her that he will not be coming to school anymore or near her to protect her.
Alaric calls Jeremy to give him a second chance after seeing his grades from Mr. Tanner's notes and he asks him to write a paper about local history. Jeremy thanks him and he notices the ring that Alaric wears, a ring that looks a lot like the ones Damon and Stefan have. He explains that it belonged to his father.
Meanwhile, Damon confronts Bonnie and demands his necklace back but Bonnie is not giving it. Damon tells her that he knows about Emily haunting her and, before he leaves, he gives Bonnie a message for Emily: "A deal's a deal". Bonnie tells Elena about Damon as they drive home when suddenly she pulls the car over and throws the crystal into an open field. Elena calls Stefan to inform him about Damon and the crystal. Stefan explains that Emily was Katherine's handmaid and that the crystal was once belonged to Katherine. However, he does not know why Damon wants it so badly and he promises to find out.
Jenna and Jeremy are at the Grill talking about his paper when she sees Alaric. Jeremy offers to introduce her but she declines and tells Jeremy that he can use his father's stuff for his paper. Alaric approaches and introduces himself and Jenna thanks him for giving Jeremy a second chance. Later Jeremy leaves and Jenna, being alone, goes and sits with Alaric at the bar. Alaric tells her that his wife died, implying that she was murdered. He later escorts Jenna back home but she does not invite him in because Jeremy is home.
Elena tries for Bonnie and Caroline to make up. She invites Caroline for dinner, while Bonnie is already there. Caroline apologizes but she gets upset when Bonnie tells her that she threw the necklace away. But Caroline finds the necklace in Bonnie's purse and she accuses her of lying. Bonnie is surprised to see the crystal and wonders if Emily will ever leave her alone. Caroline does not understand anything and Bonnie tells her that she is a witch but Caroline does not believe her.
Caroline apologizes once again to Bonnie and she gives her the necklace back. She then proposes the three of them to have a séance. During the séance, the candles flare, a cold wind blows in while Bonnie is calling for Emily. The window opens with a blast and the three girls freak out. Bonnie throws the crystal on the floor but when the lights come back on, the crystal is not there.
Elena, Caroline and Bonnie search for the crystal when Elena sees a figure crossing the hallway and Bonnie sees the necklace in the bathroom. She goes in to get it but the door closes locking her inside. She starts screaming for help and Elena and Caroline try to open the door but they can't. Suddenly, the door opens and Bonnie seems fine but she is acting weird. The reflection in the mirror shows that Emily got into her body. Bonnie says she is fine and walks downstairs. Elena calls her but she is not answering and she realizes that Emily has possessed Bonnie's body. She tries to stop her from leaving the house but she cannot.In the meantime, Stefan is being friendly to Damon so he can be able to make him tell him why he wants the crystal. They play darts at the bar and later go to the football field to play football. While they are talking, Damon finally asks Stefan what does he want. Stefan starts talking about Katherine and tells him that what they felt about her was not real since she compelled them to think so. Damon doesn't want to talk about it and walks away. Stefan finally asks why he wants Katherine's crystal and Damon reveals his secret; he wants to bring Katherine back.
Stefan is in shock and demands to know how he will do it. Damon explains that Katherine is not dead but buried in the tomb under the church. He asked Emily to save her by using magic and Emily agreed but asked him in return to protect her family. Damon kept his promise and now he wants Emily to keep her part of the deal. Emily used the crystal to reclaim power from a passing comet and the crystal regained its power when another comet passed over Mystic Falls and now it's ready to be used again.
Elena calls Stefan and tells him that Emily possessed Bonnie's body and she is going to Fell's church. Damon overhears it and heads over there immediately. He encounters Emily, who tells him that she can't keep her promise because things are different now. Damon tries to attack her but she throws him away and impales him on a tree using her witch power.
Stefan finds Damon and helps him. Emily is working on a spell and tells Stefan that she cannot bring Katherine back because the other 26 vampires who "died" that same day will come back as well, something that Damon forgot to tell him earlier. Stefan tries to tell Damon that he can't do that but he is not listening; he wants Katherine back and also revenge on the people of Mystic Falls for hunting them down.
Emily finishes the spell by throwing the crystal up in the air and it explodes. Emily leaves Bonnie's body and Damon, who is mad at Emily, attacks Bonnie. Stefan pulls him back and saves Bonnie by giving her his blood. Damon is devastated because his only shot to bring Katherine back is gone and he tells Stefan that Katherine never compelled him, that he knew everything from the beginning and he really loved her.
Bonnie does not understand what happened and Elena promises to explain everything and she informs Stefan that she will tell Bonnie the truth. She also tells him that she now she knows she can be with him but Stefan breaks up with her and tells her that he will leave Mystic Falls.
The episode ends with Logan knocking on Jenna's door. Jenna opens the door and Logan asks her if she will invite him in.
Special Guest Cast
- Antagonist: Damon Salvatore.
- This is the last episode of Season One to feature Damon as an antagonist.
- He would later return to this role in Season Two in the episode Brave New World.
- Damon reveals that Katherine is alive.
- It is revealed that Bonnie's ancestor Emily Bennett was Katherine's handmaiden and that witches can use celestial events (such as the comet) to draw energy into their magic.
- We learn that it has been two weeks since Elena learned about vampires in You're Undead To Me and Lost Girls; the events of Haunted; and that Bonnie is a witch in 162 Candles.
- As a result, she has no trouble believing Bonnie about Emily's ghost.
- Bonnie is the first supernatural/main character shown to be possessed in the series when she becomes the host to the spirit of her ancestor, Emily Bennett.
- Emily Bennett is also the first ghost seen in the series.
- This is also the first appearance of the ruins of Fell's Church.
- Damon in anger after Emily destroys her talisman, attacks Bonnie, leaving a fatal wound. If it wasn't for Stefan healing her, Bonnie would have died from his attack.
- Bonnie learns of the existence of vampires from Elena.
- It would appear that Emily was more concerned with leaving the vampires in the tomb sealed away under Fell's Church than with her descendant Bonnie's life, possibly knowing Damon might kill her in retaliation for destroying the talisman.
- This episode is a Bonnie-centric episode.
- In this episode we learn that the Gilbert family claims to have come to the New World on the Mayflower in 1620.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Alaric Saltzman. He will later be upgraded to a main character.
- In one scene, there is a brief misdirection that Alaric might be another vampire when he's shown wearing a large ring that bears a close resemblance to the Salvatores' daylight rings. Then, the next day, he's shown looking for it in his car in broad daylight, proving that he is not, in fact, a vampire.
- Alaric and Jenna meet each other for the first time in this episode.
- Mystic Falls
- This is the first episode in which Kayla Ewell is not credited.
- Alaric Saltzman is seen wearing a mysterious ring that resembles Stefan and Damon's rings. It is later revealed to have different magical qualities than theirs in A Few Good Men.
- Ironically, as part of Jeremy's extra credit history paper relating to Mystic Falls, he is not allowed to use Wikipedia as a source.
- This is the last episode to get 4 million viewers.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 4.10 million viewers in USA which was 0.01 million more than the previous episode.
- Bonnie: "Who are you?"
- Emily: "I'm Emily. You know that. We're family."
- Bonnie: "Where am I?"
- Emily: "This is where it started. And this is where it has to end."
- Bonnie: "This isn't real."
- Emily: "Help me.."
- Damon: "I got the town off our back. It was for the greater good, but I'm sorry! And to prove it, I'm not going to feed off a human. For at least a... week. I'll adopt the Stefan diet! Only... nothing with feathers."
- Stefan (mimicking Damon): "Yes, Stefan. And now that the "Secret Society of Vampire Haters" is off our back, I can go back to my routine of "How Can I Destroy Stefan's Life This Week?"
- Damon (mimicking Stefan): "And I can go back to sulking, and Elena-longing, and forehead-brooding."
- Stefan (mimicking Damon): "So Stefan, you know, I've been thinking... I think we should start over, give this brother thing another chance. We used to do it "oh so well" once upon a time."
- Damon (mimicking Stefan): "I don't-- Damon. I can't trust you to be a nice guy, you kill everybody and you're so mean-- you're so mean and-- (He breaks and stops mocking him) You're really hard to imitate, and then I have to go to that lesser place..."
- Jeremy: "Hey, Mr. Saltzman, I'm Jeremy Gilbert. You needed to see me?"
- Alaric: "Did you know that your old teacher had a "Jackass" file? No joke. It's typed on the label, and it has all the trouble-makers in it. But really, its just an opus... to you."
- Stefan: "Yeah, I got your messages. Sorry I didn't get back to you, but what I want to say shouldn't be said over the phone."
- Elena: "A simple 'I didn't kill my brother text' would suffice."
- Damon: "There's a tomb underneath the church. The spell sealed Katherine in that tomb, protecting her."
- Stefan: "Are you telling me that Katherine's alive?"
- Damon: "Hello Emily, you look different."
- Emily/Bonnie: "I won't let you do it."
- Damon: "We had a deal."
- Emily/Bonnie: "Things are different now. I need to protect my family."
- Stefan: "Emily, tell me what you did."
- Emily/Bonnie: "To save her, I had to save them."
- Stefan: "You saved everyone in the church?"
- Damon: "They killed twenty-seven people and they called it a war penalty! They deserve whatever they get!"
- Stefan: "Twenty-seven vampires Damon, they were vampires. You can't just bring them back!"
- Caroline: "Did you just come to insult me or what? Because its been a really long night."
- Matt: "No, its just that... I don't like you. I never have, but it was... nice."
- Caroline: "What?"