|“||Two weeks at home? Can you imagine? How grand. I cannot wait to see my girl Olive. She's a real peach. You have a sweetheart, Damon?||”|
Henry Wattles was a vampire from the tomb under Fell's Church. John Gilbert found him shortly after he escaped the tomb, and supplied him with a place to live and blood bags in return for information on the other Tomb Vampires and their plans after being released, as he was concerned that they would retaliate by attacking town's people. He was also a former friend of the Petrova doppelgänger, Katherine Pierce.
Henry fought for the confederate state during the Civil War alongside Damon Salvatore. Henry was one of the vampires imprisoned in the vampire's tomb in 1864. He had escaped in 2010 after Bonnie and Grams opened it.
Throughout The Vampire Diaries Series
Damon and Alaric learned that John had an apartment in Grove Hill, Virginia, and suspected that perhaps Alaric's ex-wife, Isobel, was living there. Instead, they found Henry. John was Henry's only friend, and he helped Henry adapt to the modern world, which was still new to him. He was fascinated by cars, computers, and Match.com. He was helping John by keeping tabs on the other vampires from the tomb. He informed Damon and Alaric that the other vampires from the tomb wanted revenge on this town and its founders, but he claimed to have no hard feelings about what had happened to him.
In Memory Lane, Henry appears again in Katherine's flashbacks - It was in the Founders Ball, and while Katherine was talking to Stefan, the then-young vampire Henry approached her, asking to talk with her alone. When Katherine tried to dismiss him, he said it was urgent. He then told her that he investigated a bunch of recent murder cases, and told her it wasn't vampires. When Katherine told him they have nothing to worry about, Henry told her that the victims were torn apart in ways he never saw before, Katherine understood it was actually werewolves who were behind the murders.
In Hell Is Other People, Henry is revealed to be an old friend of Damon's from his Civil War days. He appears to Damon in the Phoenix Stone, as part of Damon's own personal hell. They get a mission to gather the deserters of the confederacy, together they try to do it over and over again, but failed each time, and both of them end up dead.
In Nostalgia's a Bitch, Damon fabricates a subconscious illusion in which he lived and died as a human and, present day, Henry functions as a desk clerk of the Salvatore Boarding House. In his manifestation, he encounters Caroline and Bonnie and tells them Damon has been dead since the Civil War.
Powers and Abilities
Henry possessed all the standard powers and abilities of a non-original vampire.
Henry had the typical weaknesses of a non-Original vampire.
- Blood Brothers (Death)
- Memory Lane (Flashback)
- Monster's Ball (Indirectly Mentioned)
- Hell Is Other People (Flashback)
- Things We Lost in the Fire (Hallucination)
- Postcards from the Edge (Mentioned)
- Nostalgia's a Bitch (Subconscious Hallucination)
- Henry is of Old German origin, and the meaning is "home ruler".
- Wattles is either Scottish or English.
- He was the first to talk to Katherine about the mysterious attacks in the town, back in 1864. The attacks were blamed on vampires, but it was revealed that it was actually werewolves who were killing humans.
- He never discovered the existence of werewolves.
- Maybe he was a sacrificial lamb - a character created just to be killed.
- He most likely found peace or was sucked into oblivion when The Other Side collapsed.
- He served with Damon in the Civil War.
- During that time, he revealed that he had a girlfriend name Olive as he talks to Damon about taking time off for home while on duty.
- Julie reveals that Henry referred to Damon as a "Civil War hero" in Blood Brothers, and it would explain their backstory in Hell Is Other People, but it got cut due to length.