|“||People die around you. How could it not matter? It matters, and you know it.||”|
A HALLOWEEN VICKI CAN SINK HER TEETH INTO — As Vicki's behavior becomes more infuriating, Stefan tries to help her. Elena tries to convince Jeremy to stay away from Vicki. Caroline gives Bonnie a necklace she took from Damon to wear with her Halloween costume, and when Damon tries to take it back, he is surprised by Bonnie's abilities. Bonnie discusses the incident with her grandmother and comes to learn more about her family's past. Trying to cheer Vicki up, Matt takes her to the high school's haunted house, but the evening soon takes a terrifying turn on everybody.
|Vicki attacks Tyler but Damon and Stefan stop her, and Damon compels Tyler to forget it all. Jeremy tells Elena that he will be joining the search party for Vicki. Vicki calls Matt and tells him she's okay. Stefan tries to get Vicki to drink animal blood, but Damon convinces her that she needs human blood instead. Elena arrives and Stefan promises her that he will get through to Vicki.
Bonnie talks to her Grams about witchcraft before she leaves for school. Damon overhears Richard and Carol discussing the vampire in town. Caroline gives Bonnie Damon's crystal and tells her she doesn't care what she does with it, as long as its gone.
Stefan gets Vicki drinking coffee and leaves briefly. Vicki tries to call Jeremy, but Elena refuses to let her, so Vicki pushes her against the wall and threatens to kill her unless she lets her see Jeremy. Stefan assures Elena that Vicki will calm down eventually.
Damon tells Vicki that he only turned her because he was bored. Damon and Stefan take Vicki outside and Damon teaches her how to use her super speed. Vicki uses it to escape. She goes home where Matt's happy to see her. Stefan shows up, looking for Vicki, but she doesn't want to see him so Matt sends him away. Elena convinces Jeremy to attend the Halloween Party with her and tries to convince Jeremy to let go of Vicki. He and Vicki text each other and plan to meet up at the party.
Damon flirts with Carol to get information. He tries to compel her, but she's wearing vervain. She tells him about the Founder's Council and he offers to get vervain for her when he explains that Zach is out of town. She tells him that anybody who showed up during the day to the Founders' Party and Heritage Display was eliminated as a suspect of being a vampire.At the party, Matt tells Elena that Vicki's with him and she realizes that Jeremy's gone. Stefan finds Vicki and confronts her. Elena and Matt find them and Vicki tells Matt that Stefan won't leave her alone. Vicki escapes, and Stefan tells Matt that he's trying to help Vicki. Vicki finds Jeremy and they kiss. Damon discovers Bonnie has his crystal, but when he tries to take it from her, it burns him. Elena finds Vicki and Jeremy kissing outside just as she loses control. Annoyed by Elena, Vicki bites her, and Stefan arrives and stakes her.
Grams tells Bonnie that the crystal belonged to her ancestor and a very powerful witch, Emily Bennett. Grams tells Bonnie that it is now hers and she has to protect it. Elena, blaming Damon, slaps him. Matt asks Elena if she's seen Vicki, but she says she hasn't, calls him a good brother, and then cries in her car.
When Elena gets home, she comforts Jeremy over Vicki's death and he begs her to "make it stop". Stefan arrives and Elena asks him if he can compel Jeremy to forget that Vicki died, but he says he isn't strong enough. Damon then appears and volunteers to do it, asking Elena what she wants Jeremy to remember. She tells him to make Jeremy believe that Vicki left town, he'll miss her, but knows its for the best. As Damon compels Jeremy, Elena explains her existing feelings for Stefan to him, but when Damon exits the house, she walks back inside alone.
- Antagonists: Vicki Donovan and Damon Salvatore.
- This is the first episode in which Damon begins to fulfill his later role as the series anti-hero.
- This is the first holiday episode of TVD, in which it celebrates Halloween; as such, this episode takes place on October 31, 2009.
- Jeremy and Matt organized and participated in a search party for Vicki, until Matt finally heard from Vicki and was told not to worry about her.
- Vicki threatens Elena after she tells her that she has to stay away from Jeremy now that she's a vampire, as she fears Vicki could hurt or kill Jeremy on accident if she's overwhelmed by newborn vampire bloodlust.
- Vicki also tells Elena that she thinks she's had her brother Matt whipped for fifteen years.
- It is shown once again that vampires must first be invited into a house in which humans live in order to enter it - even one in which they lived while they were still human.
- For Halloween, everyone dresses in costumes. Bonnie and Caroline dress as witches, Vicki dresses as a vampire, Matt and Elena reuse their costumes from the previous year and go as a doctor and a nurse, Mrs. Lockwood dresses up as Daisy Buchanan, and Tyler dresses as a Spartan warrior from the film "300". Jeremy, Stefan, and Damon are the only ones who do not wear costumes to the party.
- The Lockwoods know Zach from the Founders' Council, and Carol Lockwood suggests that Zach has been in charge of providing them with vervain since the Council was once again pushed into action following the suspicious "animal attacks."
- This is the first episode where Elena is bitten and fed on by a vampire; in this case, by Vicki, who attacks her after she intervenes when Vicki feeds on Jeremy.
- The amulet burns Damon when he tries to take it from Bonnie. The amulet is a talisman of Emily Bennett, and it's suggested by Grams that it protects her.
- Stefan kills Vicki in this episode after she bites and feeds on Elena, forcing him to stake her to prevent her from killing Elena.
- It is revealed that Emily Bennett was a witch. She is also known to have traveled with Katherine Pierce as her handmaiden.
- Damon compels Jeremy to forget about Vicki's death at Elena's request, so he won't be devastated by the death of yet another loved one.
- Jenna doesn't appear in this episode.
- Elena considers letting Damon compel her to forget everything she has learned about Damon and Stefan being vampires, but decides against it, as she doesn't want to forget her love for Stefan.
- This episode takes place around Halloween, which means it's been two months since the pilot episode, which took place in early September.
- This episode marks the first time Stefan kills another character and it also shows for the first time a Vampire being staked.
- This is the final episode of the first chapter of Season One, The Vicki Chapter.
- Mystic Falls
- Bambi, a fictional deer and main character in Felix Salten's Bambi, A Life in the Woods and in the Disney films based on the book.
- Deepak Chopra, an Indian-American endocrinologist, lecturer, celebrity and author of books on spirituality and mind-body medicine.
- "The Rain in Spain," a song from the musical My Fair Lady.
- Disneyland, an American theme park in Anaheim, California, owned and operated by the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts division of The Walt Disney Company.
- Anne Frank, a Jewish Dutch girl and diarist who lived during the Holocaust, spending the majority of her childhood hiding in an attic from the Nazis.
- Daisy Buchanan, romantic interest of the titular character of F. Scott Fitzgerald's 1925 Jazz Age novel, The Great Gatsby.
Behind the Scenes
- This episode had about 4.18 million viewers in USA, which was 0.3 million more than the previous episode.
- In the original script, Jeremy kills Vicki. Jeremy is forced to choose between saving the love of his life or his sister, and he chooses his sister. Then they reshoot the death scene — only this time Stefan kills me. 
- In the original script, when Vicki gets staked you see her disappear into dust. But in the [reshot scene that aired], Stefan pulls the stake out and Damon takes me away. So they left the ending open to interpretation.